Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
To come this far with that dross of player-material deserves a medal in my eyes.. You seem to be playing to your strengths and no players are doing it on a regular basis in their respective leagues. No manager can change that. I doubt even Sir Alex would be able to bring that team to the WC.
This

SteveW

To come this far with that dross of player-material deserves a medal in my eyes.. You seem to be playing to your strengths and no players are doing it on a regular basis in their respective leagues. No manager can change that. I doubt even Sir Alex would be able to bring that team to the WC.
They actually would have easily topped the group if they hadn't bottled it. I think you're judging their talent based on the crap you just watched as opposed to any knowledge of the individual players themselves.

Champagne Football

From the moment it kicked off I felt Christie looked a shadow of the player he was away to the Danes. Looked like he had been out on the piss the night before. Then Ward, Brady and Hendrick all seemed same. I was wondering when the score was at 1-1 if all those had possibly been out sneakily on the piss a night or two before the match as they were all woeful. Harry Arter and Meyler were shocking too but I don't know if that was down to them just being too similar and having no experience playing together in that role and getting in each others way. James McClean did a lot of running and foul committing. Not a single player deserved a score higher than 4 in that game. Really shocking stuff and I don't think tactics were to blame. Obviously the Danes have technically much better players but we're good at parking the bus, snapping at heels when out of possession while pumping endless crosses in and tonight we were woeful at the very basic stuff that we are only able to do.

Tincanalley

Most GAA clubs won't allow young players to play both sports. Its not as if the young players are at Utd youth sides making this choice, they're choosing between big matches watched by your town or underage soccer watched by girlfriends and family members.
If they have talent they're being spotted later since it is Ireland so its not as if they even consider it a choice since professional football seems so far away.
GAA is the number one sport in Ireland, communities hearts and souls are built around it. Thats just the way it is.
There is not the coaching infrastructure either; nor the investment- we have to get real. Like someone else said it was a miracle to get to this point; testament to committment in a cynical age, and to the good work of ONeill and the backroom team. We are all gutted now but in time we might look back on their work with pride.

cyberman

@ROFLUTION
I can't agree with that. This side did all the hard work, our away record has been fantastic this campaign.
Dropping 5 points at home v 10 men v our main rivals and playing the perfect 120 odd minutes v Denmark to actually go ahead in the tie shows we had it to get through.
The problem is O Neill and our squad. We seem to fall apart too quickly when we have the ball
Its either defend and counter or long ball. Our away v home record doesn't add up.
Theres still something to work with there.

RORY65

They actually would have easily topped the group if they hadn't bottled it. I think you're judging their talent based on the crap you just watched as opposed to any knowledge of the individual players themselves.
They didn't bottle it, we had the better sides at home in the 2nd half of the campaign but we didn't have a manager or individual players capable of finding a way to win that game. We arguably had the 4th strongest squad in the group, our star men play for Burnley or sit on the bench for West Brom. I think the performances have been below what the players are capable of but to come 2nd was still above where we should be expecting to finish given the relative quality of the squad and the fact that we played well for about 45 minutes in the whole campaign.

lem8sh

I don't care what team you are, not encouraging retention of the football in the sport of football is not and never will be playing to your strengths. These are professional footballers, they can pass the ball twenty yards under pressure if needed.

Jaybomb

We’re capable of beating Germany and Italy. The slip ups in the qualifiers were all on O’Neill. Bad selections all round. Why Daryl Murphy was on the pitch tonight is beyond me. Yes Shane Long isn’t exactly amazing but he’s better than Murphy. Not bringing him on at half time at 2-1 down was all on O’Neill. What did he think taking Arter and Meyler off would accomplish? Two centre mids! We were completely open. No wonder we conceded so much!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
When I was playing Hurling I was not even allowed to play Gaelic football, let alone football. I remember getting a bollicking off the coach for watching a world cup match and not going training. In the country side, the GAA is huge. If you are not playing for your local club, you are a heretic. Maybe in the cities it is different, but in the countryside it is either Hurling or Gaelic Football and the countryside is most of Ireland

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I watch them every game and I think he's right. James McClean is our best player, as opposed to Eriksen for Denmark, Bale for Wales and maybe Alaba for Austria? I think it's bizarre that people act like we had some right to finish ahead of these teams when on paper we shouldn't have made the play-offs at all.

Tincanalley

Pity about Coleman being taken out, too in the Wales match. We really missed his ilk tonight, or a Paul McGrath or Richard Dunne or whoever. Yes us scoring so early was tricky, but few players had a great game. MON should have shown more composure with the subs. All in all, tonight was just our perfect storm.

Last edited:

SteveW

When I was playing Hurling I was not even allowed to play Gaelic football, let alone football. I remember getting a bollicking off the coach for watching a world cup match and not going training. In the country side, the GAA is huge. If you are not playing for your local club, you are a heretic. Maybe in the cities it is different, but in the countryside it is either Hurling or Gaelic Football and the countryside is most of Ireland
How long ago are you talking? I'm in my 30's. We were all able to play any sport we wanted without getting abuse. It was as you say in my dad's era.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Honestly for as much as I've criticised the Irish team and O'Neill over the years, this is about right for the level that we're at. We were shocking tonight but all in all it was a decent effort during the campaign.

lem8sh

I watch them every game and I think he's right. James McClean is our best player, as opposed to Eriksen for Denmark, Bale for Wales and maybe Alaba for Austria? I think it's bizarre that people act like we had some right to finish ahead of these teams when on paper we shouldn't have made the play-offs at all.
McClean is not our best player. He's a headless chicken who gets revered for running around like a lunatic showing the passion you'd expect from any other player representing his country.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
As poor as we were great credit to the Danes. They outplayed us. Didn't panic when they went a goal down. The scoreline is a fair reflection of their superiority. They looked comfortable in possession. They looked organised. In Eriksen they have a genuine world class player. We are a very limited side and that was cruelly exposed tonight.
It could be a watershed moment for us if it forces the FAI to rethink their whole approach to football in Ireland. Put more emphasis on developing technically gifted players. We place too much emphasis on heart and endeavour. Yes it has its place in any successful side but the primary emphasis needs to be on bringing through players who are comfortable in possession.
To be fair to O'Neill he can only work with what he has. He can only do so much with a limited squad in terms of numbers and ability. Given the humiliating nature of the defeat he may have to walk.

SteveW

It's not about having one world class player. Not having Bale or Eriksen isn't the point. Plenty of our players are doing pretty well in the PL and playing decent football.

TheNextNo7

What a load of rubbish.
We have a midfield 3 of Hendrick and Brady who play in week in week out for Burnley who are pushing the top six in the league if you noticed plus Harry Arter who has played about 50 times in the Premiership over the past 2 seasons and yet these players cant string 3 passes together in our national team.
Yes Our striker situation is brutul tbh but to call the rest of the team dross is wrong! Duffy and Ward also having the seasons of their life in the prem!
Who do Denmark have that is playing such a high standard every week? Eriksen,Sisto and not much else.Yet they look like Barca tonight
Its the wrong mentality of everyone thinking were not good enough to pass the ball which seems to go through from the manager to the players to the fans

Tincanalley

How long ago are you talking? I'm in my 30's. We were all able to play any sport we wanted without getting abuse. It was as you say in my dad's era.
Look his point is made. Association Football doesn’t get the priority in Ireland it does in Italy. Even if it did, we would still have manifold other disadvantages to overcome. So we were up against it. But no reason to be defeatist. But tonight is a night to be proud of the team, both on the field and behind the scenes. They care as much as the fans. (I’d have a McClean over a Stephen Ireland any day). They are hurting tonight. Pity it ended this way. But... we go again.

SteveW

Look his point is made. Association Football doesn’t get the priority in Ireland it does in Italy. Even if it did, we would still have manifold other disadvantages to overcome. So we were up against it. But no reason to be defeatist. But tonight is a night to be proud of the team, both on the field and behind the scenes. They care as much as the fans. (I’d have a McClean over a Stephen Ireland any day). They are hurting tonight. Pity it ended this way. But... we go again.
I'm not proud of that. Being proud of that is defeatist. We could do a lot better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's not about having one world class player. Not having Bale or Eriksen isn't the point. Plenty of our players are doing pretty well in the PL and playing decent football.
If we take the Welsh team we outperformed as an example, they also have Arsenal and Spurs players in their team along side their more ordinary players (who actually play at the same level as our best players). Pointing to each team's best player was just a way of highlighting the difference in quality, it runs throughout the sides.

I think you would struggle to find many neutral fans who would pick our set of players over those in the Welsh, Danish or even Austrian sides.

lem8sh

That sums up our problems imho. Heart alone doesn't bring you success.
Don’t agree. He got it completely wrong at half time but don’t agree with you.
How anyone could want another two years of that football is beyond me.

SteveW

What a load of rubbish.
We have a midfield 3 of Hendrick and Brady who play in week in week out for Burnley who are pushing the top six in the league if you noticed plus Harry Arter who has played about 50 times in the Premiership over the past 2 seasons and yet these players cant string 3 passes together in our national team.
Yes Our striker situation is brutul tbh but to call the rest of the team dross is wrong! Duffy and Ward also having the seasons of their life in the prem!
Who do Denmark have that is playing such a high standard every week? Eriksen,Sisto and not much else.Yet they look like Barca tonight
Its the wrong mentality of everyone thinking were not good enough to pass the ball which seems to go through from the manager to the players to the fans
Agree

Tincanalley

I'm not proud of that. Being proud of that is defeatist. We could do a lot better.
Think you are missing the point a bit. Proud of ‘that’. No. Proud of this group of people, yes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
McClean is not our best player. He's a headless chicken who gets revered for running around like a lunatic showing the passion you'd expect from any other player representing his country.
He was also our top goalscorer in this campaign, despite not being a striker or indeed a particularly prolific midfielder. Which is in itself pretty damning.

Still, nominate whichever player you like, my point still stands.

ROFLUTION

What a load of rubbish.
Kjær, Sisto, Youssuf Poulsen, Delaney, Christensen, Eriksen and not to mention Nicolai Jørgensen who was top scorer in eresdivisie last year - Most of our players are doing great at their teams and have done so for a while. Kjær is now a leader and was for instance great against Liverpool and in general a great buy for Sevilla. With all respect for the players you mention, I don't see any real game-changers for your team who can do things on their own. Maybe Arter and Long but dont know why he is not in front of Murphy.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Don't know about the rest of you, but where I a from the GAA makes sure to schedule it's training at the same time as the local soccer club.

RORY65

What a load of rubbish.
In fairness, they play for a Burnley side that cedes possession and lets their opponents have loads of shots, like we have, but have generally got good results (like we have) whilst our other best players like McClean, Duffy and Arter all play for low-end Premier League sides who don't create much and don't have much of the ball (Bournemouth are a bit more progressive when on form). The style of play is woeful, O'Neill does no preparation and nothing tactically and clearly the players can do a bit more but at the same time this squad is absolute dross, worst group of players we've had certainly in my lifetime.

Rory 7

Not under this management of course. But under one with a different opinion on how the game should be played then yes.
Can’t see it. Don’t think we have the players. Simple as that. O’Neill’s approach is looking increasingly antiquated but I don’t think anyone would turn us into an attractive team to watch. I’d prefer us to be an effective team. That’s what makes tonight so galling.

SungSam7

The GAA is holding the country back along with some of the parents of potential Irish stars. I know a fellow who is captain of the Waterford football team called Paul Whyte, he had successful trials with a number of clubs in England but chose to stay in Ireland and concentrate on playing GAA. He was playing with Hendrick growing up in the Underage squads.
Don't get me wrong, it's your choice at the end of the day but some people in Ireland still hate England due to history and consider playing football(soccer) as a sin. Some clubs in my area drop players from their GAA squads if they hear the is players playing football. It's a joke, they are letting their ignorance get in the way of actually letting the child choose. The SSE league is a joke, it is light years behind any of the European leagues.
It doesn't help Ireland when both GAA coincide with the football season despite the SSE league. Surely FAI and GAA could come up with a solution to run the seasons at opposite times so the kids aren't torn between choosing as unfortunately the GAA will be pick 99% of the time.

lem8sh

Can’t see it. Don’t think we have the players. Simple as that. O’Neill’s approach is looking increasingly antiquated but I don’t think anyone would turn us into an attractive team to watch. I’d prefer us to be an effective team. That’s what makes tonight so galling.
We don't have the players to play expansive but it's so negative under MON that keeping possession for more than half a minute would be an improvement. These are professional footballers they haven't been picked up at the red cow on the way to the Aviva.

SteveW

Think you are missing the point a bit. Proud of ‘that’. No. Proud of this group of people, yes.
Why are you proud of them? Because they care? I'm not sticking the knife in or anything I just don't get your point. Tonight was really poor, I don't think any of them would feel proud of themselves right now

Status
Not open for further replies.