Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can I take that bet? Callum Robinson and Dara O'Shea have both scored a few for West Brom. Don't forget Egan who scored in Portugal 3 days earlier!!!

I'm all for playing better football and I hope Kenny is given a chance in charge but I think he needs to focus much more on set pieces.

I agree that Ireland have nothing in attack. They have Duffy, Egan and O'Shea who are all a huge threat from set pieces.

You can play beautiful possession football all you want but the aim of football is to win. You win by scoring goals. If you have 3 big boppers who are better in the air than their opponents, it's stupid not to take advantage.

If Kenny had won a few games via Shane Duffy headers he'd have a lot more time to implement any style he wants.
Can’t believe I forgot about CR7.

Re set-pieces I don’t think anyone in the team takes them for their club. And it shows. Our delivery from set-pieces is rubbish.

POF

Can’t believe I forgot about CR7.

Re set-pieces I don’t think anyone in the team takes them for their club. And it shows. Our delivery from set-pieces is rubbish.
It needs to be a key focus of the preparation. If there's nobody in the starting 11 who is good enough, pick Hourihane.

It's easily Ireland's best chance to score.

Southgate's run with England was basically built off set pieces. He even picked Trippier at left back ahead of Shaw and Chilwell for his delivery.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Kenny came out swinging in his presser anyway. Believes we can't be short sighted, that changing manager / philosophy may bring results against the teams we expect to beat now but not against the teams we are striving to beat in the longer term.

Jericho

If we finish 2nd last or last will that damage our seeding in the future? If so things are only going to get more difficult.

Brophs

The One and Only
Kenny came out swinging in his presser anyway. Believes we can't be short sighted, that changing manager / philosophy may bring results against the teams we expect to beat now but not against the teams we are striving to beat in the longer term.
I believe him. Just about. But I think there’s a question in there about whether he should, even allowing for this apparent revolution, be beating those teams we expect to beat now. I like him but he needs to be very careful he doesn’t veer into ‘jam tomorrow’ territory.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree but I think there’s now also a pretty valid question as to whether he’s the man who should be in charge of that culture change (though for whatever it’s worth I’d stick with him and see this thing through, for better or worse).
Well, I think he is the man, and not only because he's brave enough to stick to his guns. A version of this cultural change conversation has been had to some degree as far back as that masterful performance against the USSR in Euro 88 due to injuries forcing Charlton to play a more cultured midfield, and yet Kenny is the one who has shown the most interest in this change and has shown extraordinary resolve and a commitment to what he believes is the right thing to do.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I believe him. Just about. But I think there’s a question in there about whether he should, even allowing for this apparent revolution, be beating those teams we expect to beat now. I like him but he needs to be very careful he doesn’t veer into ‘jam tomorrow’ territory.
I think we have to take that chance. Football on this island is in real trouble compared to where it was 30 years ago. The participation of kids is currently on the rise for GAA and Rugby at the expense of football.. Although that might be more indicative of me being a class traitor and know only middle-class types.

Deery

Dreary
I’ve run it through my head and I can’t see Kenny being sacked not because he’s some revolutionary football genius but because why would anyone else take us over?

Brophs

The One and Only
Well, I think he is the man, and not only because he's brave enough to stick to his guns. A version of this cultural change conversation has been had to some degree as far back as that masterful performance against the USSR in Euro 88 due to injuries forcing Charlton to play a more cultured midfield, and yet Kenny is the one who has shown the most interest in this change and has shown extraordinary resolve and a commitment to what he believes is the right thing to do.
I believe in his ideals and the convictions behind them. I’m somewhat less convinced by his ability to execute, based on what I’ve seen of him in the job so far. The message, in the main, hasn’t gotten across, as yet.
I think we have to take that chance. Football on this island is in real trouble compared to where it was 30 years ago. The participation of kids is currently on the rise for GAA and Rugby at the expense of football.. Although that might be more indicative of me being a class traitor and know only middle-class types.
Brexit will cause major issues, too. Without the requisite infrastructure (academies, over-stocking of qualified coaches etc.) the decision to largely outsource the development of a large proportion of our best young players to cross-channel clubs won’t be one we can continue with.

Xaviboy

Big Sam in. 4-4-2, Duffy and Egan upfront and launch it forward. That's all were good for. Both scoring our goals already. We will find 2 more tall centre halfs somewhere to play at the back.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm not sure he's the guy but this campaign is already a write-off and I have zero confidence in our ability to distinguish between him not being good enough and the idea of progressive football being a bad one. So we might as well continue on.

The worst case outcome in this scenario is a reversion to decidedly negative football that is ineffective long-term.

Oranges038

Whilst there were some good days under Jack. He had some fantastic players he just chose not to use them properly. The decision to hire him over Bob Paisley has led us to this point where we've been almost purely a long ball team for over 30 years. It's been pretty much the same style under each manager since.

I look at GAA, if you see how it has evolved in style over the last 30 odd years, even in the last 10 years. It's now much more heavily based around possesion and ball progression rather than quick long high balls up the field. If amateur players, who train 2 or 3 nights a week can get to grips with a more controlled style of football. There's no reason why professional soccer players who play every day can't.

Kenny is doing the right thing, he's the only manager I can remember that's been brave enough to try and change it up, sticking to his principles and not reverting back to type is a must.

padzilla

Hipster
I don't see what's gained by cutting him loose now. Give him a few more games, we looked decent for long spells against Portugal which suggested there might be signs of something emerging - as crap as we were in the first half against Azerbaijan it took a world class strike from them to get a draw. Granted we can't go years without winning a competitive game but given the extraordinary circumstances of the pandemic and the fact he was brought in to oversee a change in style from top to bottom, I think there is merit to keeping him on but we have to accept it can't continue for much longer, he has to turn a corner sooner rather than later.

Brophs

The One and Only
Very interesting thread. Hard to disagree with very much of it other than this need to cast if as a sort of binary, progress v hoof ball choice with nothing in the middle, which was well teased out on Second Captains today.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Has the decline in performances in recent years forced a hard reset on how Ireland develop players? Are the FAI still as shameful and shambolic as ever? Are they embracing any of the steps that other smaller countries like Iceland, Belgium and even Scotland have taken?

Yup. Agreed. Although Parrott has had a reasonably encouraging start to the season. The fact that our most prolific strikers has 2 from 5 playing for MK Dons really just endorses what you’re saying.

Strikers aside, is there a single goal scored between all of our midfielders for their clubs so far this season?

I’m willing to bet our goalscorer on Saturday is the only player other than Troy to have scored a goal this season, for club or country. Which is incredible really.
Your man McGrath has scored a couple for St Mirren. Decent player, Hibs tried to nick him before the end of the transfer window.

Withnail

Has the decline in performances in recent years forced a hard reset on how Ireland develop players? Are the FAI still as shameful and shambolic as ever? Are they embracing any of the steps that other smaller countries like Iceland, Belgium and even Scotland have taken?

Your man McGrath has scored a couple for St Mirren. Decent player, Hibs tried to nick him before the end of the transfer window.
I thought Mc Grath did very well against Portugal in his first competitive game. Hopefully he's in the team tonight.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I think Kenny's interview yesterday has sold me on giving him another shot at the Euros

Will be interesting to see if FAI back him after tonight

Deery

Dreary
Both teams playing same formation, could see a punt it to Mitrovic kinda game..

Deery

Dreary
3 minutes in and Serbia already look very good..

Long night ahead!

SirtheIcarium

Whilst there were some good days under Jack. He had some fantastic players he just chose not to use them properly. The decision to hire him over Bob Paisley has led us to this point where we've been almost purely a long ball team for over 30 years. It's been pretty much the same style under each manager since.

I look at GAA, if you see how it has evolved in style over the last 30 odd years, even in the last 10 years. It's now much more heavily based around possesion and ball progression rather than quick long high balls up the field. If amateur players, who train 2 or 3 nights a week can get to grips with a more controlled style of football. There's no reason why professional soccer players who play every day can't.

Kenny is doing the right thing, he's the only manager I can remember that's been brave enough to try and change it up, sticking to his principles and not reverting back to type is a must.
Kenny is doing the right thing, but I don't think it will add up to anything. The biggest difference has been how Dublin GAA have set up camps for kids from around 6 years of age. My area (tallaght) used to be all about football, but the GAA offered a free sport to kids who couldn't afford to play any other sport. A number of football clubs in Tallaght are constantly begging for players, meanwhile my local GAA club (St. Annes) have three under 10's teams.

I remember reading about Iceland in 2016, and how their F.A. built hundreds of free 5 a side pitches, managed by UEFA qualified coaches. They done all this with a grant from UEFA, of about €3m. The article mentioned Ireland got the same grant (It was in the Guardian, they just mentioned Ireland in passing). I doubt the money went back into grass roots football, more likely it got paid to Nadia Forde to sing for John Delaney.

It's got to the stage where Rugby is a bigger draw for kids in Tallaght than football. That is beyond ridiculous. I don't blame the kids, they see Dublin win All Irelands by the bucketload, they see Leinster Rugby smashing most of Europe, and their players winning grand slams. Meanwhile, the FAI clubs can barely survive. clubs like Shamrock Rovers are holding open camps to get kids involved, but when the choice for parents in the most deprived area in the country is to have your kids play a sport for free where their kids can emulate the greatest GAA team this country has ever seen, or play an expensive sport with crap grassroots and no supported local clubs, it's not a hard choice.

Even if the FAI change their ways now, I think we are looking at another generation passing before the players start coming through.

Deery

Dreary
Milinkovic Savic seems to have matured maybe what we could be looking for from an United point of view?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Kenny is doing the right thing, but I don't think it will add up to anything. The biggest difference has been how Dublin GAA have set up camps for kids from around 6 years of age. My area (tallaght) used to be all about football, but the GAA offered a free sport to kids who couldn't afford to play any other sport. A number of football clubs in Tallaght are constantly begging for players, meanwhile my local GAA club (St. Annes) have three under 10's teams.
Just moved out to Santry, same up here, all about the GAA, multiple clubs and free camps for the kids to choose from.

Deery

Dreary
What’s the tactic here anyway we don’t seem to be playing much football, just get it to McClean to whip in a cross…

Oranges038

I remember reading about Iceland in 2016, and how their F.A. built hundreds of free 5 a side pitches, managed by UEFA qualified coaches. They done all this with a grant from UEFA, of about €3m. The article mentioned Ireland got the same grant (It was in the Guardian, they just mentioned Ireland in passing). I doubt the money went back into grass roots football, more likely it got paid to Nadia Forde to sing for John Delaney.

It's got to the stage where Rugby is a bigger draw for kids in Tallaght than football. That is beyond ridiculous. I don't blame the kids, they see Dublin win All Irelands by the bucketload, they see Leinster Rugby smashing most of Europe, and their players winning grand slams. Meanwhile, the FAI clubs can barely survive. clubs like Shamrock Rovers are holding open camps to get kids involved, but when the choice for parents in the most deprived area in the country is to have your kids play a sport for free where their kids can emulate the greatest GAA team this country has ever seen, or play an expensive sport with crap grassroots and no supported local clubs, it's not a hard choice.

Even if the FAI change their ways now, I think we are looking at another generation passing before the players start coming through.
Same here. I coach with young groups in both and the difference in numbers in probably about 3 times as many at the gaelic.

GAA where I am is a token fee for annual memebership and that's it. Soccer is 200-300 a year, plus an additional charge for training where lights are needed, plus a weekly payment for refs if there is a match. Then you have kids going to places where there's not even changing rooms or any decent facilities at all for the most part.

Withnail

No idea how he is doing at club level but Bazunu looks like he could be a quality young keeper.

He's at loan at Portsmouth from City apparently but I've no idea how he's doing there either but he's some talent.

Omobamidele's looking great as well. He needs a loan if Norwich won't give him a game.

lsd

The Oracle
Wish i was watching what the RTE commentators are as they are talking like this is the greatest irish performance ever

Deery

Dreary
Gotta applaud the defence they’ve put in a hell of a shift some heroic stuff..

R'hllor

:lol: cnuts never dissapoint no matter what generation

Edit: ops wrong thread

Status
Not open for further replies.