Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

As Chris Kamara says. "They all count, but only when they hit the back of the net."

Brophs

The One and Only
Very little wrong with that. Particularly liked that Bazunu basically decided to play fly keeper at times.

Nick7

Jaysis we’re almost good now!

But really, I do think we have some exciting young players.

SirtheIcarium

Same here. I coach with young groups in both and the difference in numbers in probably about 3 times as many at the gaelic.

GAA where I am is a token fee for annual memebership and that's it. Soccer is 200-300 a year, plus an additional charge for training where lights are needed, plus a weekly payment for refs if there is a match. Then you have kids going to places where there's not even changing rooms or any decent facilities at all for the most part.
Yeah, one of my mates got quoted €300 for his son to play for the same club he played for. They get changed in a Portocabin, and the pitch has more holes than a whack a mole game. Can't blame the clubs, they get nothing off the FAI, so what else can they do

BerryBerryShrew

Bazunu not starting at City is fair enough- it would be very difficult for an oil club to give a chance to a 19 year old home grown keeper. He'll have to work his way up the ranks on loan.

But there's no way in hell that Omobamidele isn't Norwich's best centre half. Who's starting ahead of him?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
These 3 games have shown enough that Kenny shoulda stay for the Euro campaign

Just make sure we finish 3rd in this group so will need to beat Luxembourg

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Really enjoyed that to be fair. Last ten minutes is how they should be playing in my opinion, a little more direct and trying to get balls in the box.

Looked the better team for the last ten minutes.

lsd

The Oracle
Hopefully that kills off any hope of Big Sam coming in. Northern Ireland stuck with Michael ONeill when he went on a similar run changing their style of play and are reaping the benefits.

We have to keep the same faith in Kenny. There are some very talented young players there who will only get better

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
These 3 games have shown enough that Kenny shoulda stay for the Euro campaign

Just make sure we finish 3rd in this group so will need to beat Luxembourg
I agree with this, there are definitely good signs, and a third place finish would be decent after the start.

Oranges038

Very enjoyable game that. Deserved at least a draw at the end.

Bazunu is going to be some keeper if he keeps progessing. The lad looks so calm and composed on the ball and has a good set of hands. His distribution was great tonight.

Yeah, one of my mates got quoted €300 for his son to play for the same club he played for. They get changed in a Portocabin, and the pitch has more holes than a whack a mole game. Can't blame the clubs, they get nothing off the FAI, so what else can they do
Insurance is a massive part of that cost as far as I know. It's pricing kids out of the game. Clubs have to charge players because there's no other source of income aside from small lotteries and fundraisers if they can have them.

Some of the club facilities are a joke, I played getting changed out of the boot on the side of a road somewhere and having to pay for the privilege. Whereas you'll have a GAA club playing junior football with lads that are touching 40, can barely run or kick a ball and they'll have a brand new 300k pitch and a big club house.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some good signs and some of the younger players did very well.

At the same time, they had 10 shots on target to our 2, our goalkeeper was man of the match and we needed an own goal to get a draw. Talk of turning a corner is rather premature and the Hamilton/Kelly commentary team seemed to be watching a different game. Calling it a stunning performance and a night to remember is a bit much.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
Some crying cnuts on social media all negative about the performance, it’s a good performance and encouraging stuff for the Euros..

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Delighted for the players and the manager, they deserved something.

Bazunu is a wonderkid in all honesty, he is one of the best young players in the world in his age bracket.

DON’T PANIC ™

Great result given the difference in quality between the lineups.
I’m afraid we just don’t have the players at the minute, particularly up front. Idah tries but he’s poor. The sooner Hendricks retires the better.

Pirlo'sBeard

I didn't see the game but delighted to hear the lads done well and deservingly got a positive result.

I'd stick with Kenny.

Withnail

At the same time, they had 10 shots on target to our 2, our goalkeeper was man of the match and we needed an own goal to get a draw. Talk of turning a corner is rather premature and the Hamilton/Kelly commentary team seemed to be watching a different game. Calling it a stunning performance and a night to remember is a bit much.
Kelly went absolutely overboard with the cheerleading after the match there. Brady told him what was what.

But yeah an encouraging performance from some of them especially the young lads and so good to see fans back roaring the team on.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Agreed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Serbia are a top side, in a rich vein of form. They were always going to dominate and create chances. A lot of their best chances came from hitting us on the break. So despite all their shots it wasn’t as though we parked the bus. We played some nice football and tried to take care of the ball. Then finished the game on the front foot, pressing hard for a winner.

And that all happened with a cracking atmosphere in only the second game in front of our fans in nearly two years. And two of our best players were teenagers. You’d have to be dead inside to be in that stadium and not get caught up in the excitement. It’s churlish in the extreme to have a moan about the commentary IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Delighted for the players and the manager, they deserved something.

Bazunu is a wonderkid in all honesty, he is one of the best young players in the world in his age bracket.
He’s incredible. Got me thinking how clubs should think about converting some of their more talented outfield players into keepers. So important to have a ‘keeper who is comfortable on the ball and an extremely accurate long passer. The actual shot-stopping bit might be easier to learn!

Brilliant bit of business by City. Will fit perfectly in their team. Annoying.

KeanoMagicHat

It was an alright performance but agreed with Brady when he called out Kelly. It wasn’t ‘sensational’ or ‘deserved’ that Ireland got a draw.

However, Ireland were definitely due a bit of luck and it was a great end to the game. The last 7 or 8 minutes made up for the previous 30 when they were outplayed and should have been 2 or 3 down but for amazing Bazanu.

The fact the two best players on the night are 19 is promising for the future.

Tyrion

Just watching this soccer aid pish. Robbie Keane is still streets ahead of any of the forwards playing for the Republic this afternoon.
I looked at the team that played France in '09. I'd say every one of those players would walk into this team. Coleman is the only one who could arguably have played for the '09 side.

Deery

Dreary
Serbia are a top side, in a rich vein of form. They were always going to dominate and create chances. A lot of their best chances came from hitting us on the break. So despite all their shots it wasn’t as though we parked the bus. We played some nice football and tried to take care of the ball. Then finished the game on the front foot, pressing hard for a winner.

And that all happened with a cracking atmosphere in only the second game in front of our fans in nearly two years. And two of our best players were teenagers. You’d have to be dead inside to be in that stadium and not get caught up in the excitement. It’s churlish in the extreme to have a moan about the commentary IMO.
I’d agree with this Serbia looked a very good side, passed the ball really well and I think will be a dark horse come World Cup time, but Ireland defended heroically and ended the game the better side that’s much to be admired from a team as limited as we are.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Have to say I’m loving the idea that Bazunu (Knocklyon) and Omobamidele (Leixlip) were playing in the same league as my son’s team, just a few years ago. Makes me think that youth development in Ireland isn’t quite the disaster it’s often portrayed as. Obviously the FAI is a clusterfeck but the standard of coaching at the higher levels of schoolboy football has come on a hell of a lot over the last decade or so.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Have to say I’m loving the idea that Bazunu (Knocklyon) and Omobamidele (Leixlip) were playing in the same league as my son’s team, just a few years ago. Makes me think that youth development in Ireland isn’t quite the disaster it’s often portrayed as. Obviously the FAI is a clusterfeck but the standard of coaching at the higher levels of schoolboy football has come on a hell of a lot over the last decade or so.
I’m coaching an under 16 team and the training available to me has improved hugely in the last two or three years. Standards are rising very quickly.Teams all play out from the back and the focus is on possession and control rather than getting crosses in. I think it’s something of a silent revolution but I am prone to exaggeration at times.

Withnail

I’m delighted about this. Haven’t followed his career since United youth days but I remember thinking he had it all before his rotten luck with injuries. Plus he has to be a great success, with a surname like that.
He's had some serious injury problems the poor lad.

Has there been a pair of twins playing for different international teams before?

Status
Not open for further replies.