Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick7

Good news, but it only matters if Delaney goes and there are sweeping changes in the FAI.

Brophs

The One and Only
Delaney making everyone else walk the plank in an attempt to keep the wolf from the door and any other relevant metaphor.

EireRed_GS

I like O'neill, he's had a great career in the past, but I think its time for a change. Because we are absolute dogshit at the minute. Since the thrashing from Denmark last year it has been seriously bleak.

Id give Stephen Kenny a go, not much to lose at this stage. Can't see us qualifying for any major tournaments again any time soon

Robbie Boy

Very similar situations with United and Ireland at the minute: In both cases the managers absolutely have to go, but so too the people above them. Delaney is absolute poison but he'll be there for a good while longer, unfortunately.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Very similar situations with United and Ireland at the minute: In both cases the managers absolutely have to go, but so too the people above them. Delaney is absolute poison but he'll be there for a good while longer, unfortunately.
Woodward may be shite at hiring managers/signing players but according to the metrics on which you usually judge a CEO he's doing a fine job.

Ken Early did a comparison on the RFU vs the FAI the other day. When Delaney took the job, the two organisations had an almost identical turnover. Since then, the RFU have increased their turnover by 80+% and the FAI by just 9% (which works out at less than the rate of inflation, year on year) . If that's not a good enough reason to sack the turd, then what is?

Robbie Boy

Woodward may be shite at hiring managers/signing players but according to the metrics on which you usually judge a CEO he's doing a fine job.

Ken Early did a comparison on the RFU vs the FAI the other day. When Delaney took the job, the two organisations had an almost identical turnover. Since then, the RFU have increased their turnover by 80+% and the FAI by just 9% (which works out at less than the rate of inflation, year on year) . If that's not a good enough reason to sack the turd, then what is?
Aye, Ed is doing a cracking job on the financial aspect of things, he should just be kept away from footballing matters.

Delaney appears to be extremely secure in his job which is baffling, to be completely honest. For me, O'Neill absolutely has to go and I have no idea who will come in but they have an extremely tough job on their hands as there is absolutely feck all coming through in terms of talent. There are some good youngsters but they are far too young and inexperienced to play at full senior level.

padzilla

Hipster
It's quite obvious there needs to be an overhaul at grass roots level and come up some kind of plan to stop us relying on players who are not quite good enough to play for England declaring for us. It's 20 years since Brian Kerr's youngsters had their famous victory at underage level - we've simply sat back on that, now that generation is gone we are left in the doldrums with nothing to suggest we have anything to look forward to. It might be time to follow the rugby model and invest in 3 or 4 full-time professional teams, like they did with the provinces, just to get some impetus back into our own country's league rather than relying on the English FA to develop players for us -it might be a good time to look at an actual All-Ireland league as well. I am not sure what the answer is but something has to change.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Paul Cook please.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
For the best for all parties. We are a poor squad compared to previous years - but MON still didn't get the best out of what he had either.

padzilla

Hipster
O'Neill's main ability was to get average players punching above their weight, when that was not happening this was inevitable.

padzilla

Hipster
Stephen Kenny is the fans' choice to take over? Ideally I would go for Chris Hughton but never going to happen. Probably will end up with Mick McCarthy again.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Stephen Kenny please.. Someone not blinded by the lower leagues in England

Nick7

Stephen Kenny is the fans' choice to take over? Ideally I would go for Chris Hughton but never going to happen. Probably will end up with Mick McCarthy again.
No reason to believe Hughton would leave Brighton for Ireland. Mick would be a terrible uninspiring appointment. No reason to believe Holland would leave England.

Kenny plays decent football and has done exceptionally well at Dundalk recently. I'd like to see him take up the reins

Nick7

I was actually just thinking, I can't remember the last full Ireland match I watched. Maybe the game we fecked up at home against Wales with 10 men?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Largely a successful stint as manager, I think.

Qualified for the Euros straight away and got us out of the group stage in that tournament. Needed to beat some big teams to do that too. Then in the WC qualifiers we finished second in the group ahead of two teams with better players than us before losing over two legs to another team with better players than us.

Obviously the football itself was fairly grim and it was certainly time for him to go but in terms of results we could hardly have done much better across his tenure.

Zebs

I was actually just thinking, I can't remember the last full Ireland match I watched. Maybe the game we fecked up at home against Wales with 10 men?
You didn't watch the 1-0 win away to Wales? Or the whole of the first leg of the world cup playoff?

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I went to all the lsat qualifying campaign. Was thinking of not bothering my arse for the next but I will be going now. Thanks for the euros and the thrills of the last campaign MON. It was time to go

Zebs

Reports saying the new manager will be in before the Euro 2020 draw, which is on the 2nd December.

I'd say that points towards a two-horse race between Kenny and McCarthy. Anyone else would take longer than 10 days.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Largely a successful stint as manager, I think.

Qualified for the Euros straight away and got us out of the group stage in that tournament. Needed to beat some big teams to do that too. Then in the WC qualifiers we finished second in the group ahead of two teams with better players than us before losing over two legs to another team with better players than us.

Obviously the football itself was fairly grim and it was certainly time for him to go but in terms of results we could hardly have done much better across his tenure.
I think that’s fair. All the more so when you consider the dreadful pool of talent available. Although the death spiral of the last calendar year has been grim.

Red00012

Beating Germany , drawing with Germany beating the Welsh and beating Austria away the highlights of his tenure. Disastrous since the hammering by Denmark , he had to go there was no progress made in 2018, I’d like to see Kenny in but Delaney won’t fancy him because he’s a league of Ireland manager.

Forgot to mention the Italy game !

Last edited:

SER19

Beating Germany , drawing with Germany beating the Welsh and beating Austria away the highlights of his tenure. Disastrous since the hammering by Denmark , he had to go there was no progress made in 2018, I’d like to see Kenny in but Delaney won’t fancy him because he’s a league of Ireland manager.
Beating Italy in euros won’t be topped.

They did a good job I think, dangerous times for Irish football. Hoping a new manager tries to develop some progressive stuff but time might prove O’Neill and keane right in terms of results, we have a very very poor squad

Nick7

You didn't watch the 1-0 win away to Wales? Or the whole of the first leg of the world cup playoff?
Not the whole matches, no. By the Wales match I was already apathetic and thought we would lose. I saw the last 15 minutes because my dad was watching it. We should have beaten Wales and should have put in a better showing against Serbia at home (only saw the first 60 odd minutes). I just did not care by that time. Shit on a stick football and the results were worse than they should have been.

Makeitso

Long overdue. Terrible watching them the last while - Anyone who has a plan would be a good replacement - why not try Kenny?

SteveW

Stephen Kenny for me also.

I don't hate Mick. We played better football under him than any other Irish manager in my lifetime.

I just feel right now Irish football is in a place where it needs new ideas and needs to be raised from within. We need to improve what we do domestically as well as depending on what happens in England.

Dundalk play good football and Kenny has spoken about getting away from the prevelant idea in England that Irish players are all hard work and no skill. I would love to see him given a crack at it.

SteveW

Also Big Sam is 3rd with the bookies. feck that. We've played long ball shit for years. No point in resigning ourselves to more of the same for the sake of getting a big name manager.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I don't hate Mick. We played better football under him than any other Irish manager in my lifetime.

I just feel right now Irish football is in a place where it needs new ideas and needs to be raised from within. We need to improve what we do domestically as well as depending on what happens in England.

Dundalk play good football and Kenny has spoken about getting away from the prevelant idea in England that Irish players are all hard work and no skill. I would love to see him given a crack at it.
I'm with you. I know the Brian Kerr regime ended disappointingly but I also remember the joy at his first presser. We've nothing to lose. Give Kenny a swing at it. We've no big time Charlies left to turn their noses up at a LOI manager. I think the players would be receptive to actual tactics.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

I wouldn’t mind him getting the job either but his stint at Dunfermline is a pretty serious blot on his cv. It’s a big step up from LoI management and it must be a worry that his first attempt away from his comfort zone ended so badly.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I wouldn’t mind him getting the job either but his stint at Dunfermline is a pretty serious blot on his cv. It’s a big step up from LoI management and it must be a worry that his first attempt away from his comfort zone ended so badly.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Fergie got the heeve ho from St Mirren didn't he? He has been more successful since returning from that pile of sh*te league. Give him a stab at it, cant be much worse :lol:

SteveW

I'm with you. I know the Brian Kerr regime ended disappointingly but I also remember the joy at his first presser. We've nothing to lose. Give Kenny a swing at it. We've no big time Charlies left to turn their noses up at a LOI manager. I think the players would be receptive to actual tactics.
Depending on English clubs to develop all of our players is no longer enough. More and more Irish internationals are having to start in LOI and move across. So having someone with LOI experience and who will advocate for it is getting more and more important for our future.

Plus he will get us passing the ball. And as you said we're not so good now that players will look down on him. Especially when they see he's good and he actually believes they are capable of playing some decent football.

SteveW

He was a very young manager back then. Seems a bit unfair to go so far back to fault the man. I'd argue Dundalks European efforts show he has what it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.