Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Great team performance tonight. 3 with O'Shea, Duffy and Egan could be a solid way going forward. I thought Cullen was very good on the ball in the middle not so much without it. Bazunu was brilliant and had no chance for the two goals looks like he's going to be a very good keeper, just a shame who he plays for.

Ronaldo is a cnut, the second header is a top class one. It just seemed inevitable that he would score.

If I'm being honest, Portugal did deserve to win in the end but will not win anything under this coach.
We're not winning anything under any coach. Do you mean we're not qualifying for tournaments?

IrishMcD

Blatantly wanted to be there for "history."

Always suspicious of refs who gel their hair. Attention-seeking cnuts a lot of the time.
Some awful strange hair styles creeping into the GAA scene lately as well amongst the Refs, so a lad in his late 40s with a Mohawk a few weeks back, nearly pissed myself laughing. He ref'd just as you'd imagine he'd ref. Disgracefully but with immaculate confidence

Oranges038

We're not winning anything under any coach. Do you mean we're not qualifying for tournaments?
I mean Portugal will win nothing under their
coach. No idea how he is getting away with his approach with the players he has avaialble. It's worse than Southgate playing his 7 defenders with England.

Ireland won't be winning anything or qualifying for the next World cup, this campaign looks like it's pretty much over unless there are some major surprises. The target should be to get a squad together to push for the next Euros and the 2026 world cup.

Withnail

coach. No idea how he is getting away with his approach with the players he has avaialble. It's worse than Southgate playing his 7 defenders with England.

Ireland won't be winning anything or qualifying for the next World cup, this lcampaign looks like it's pretty much over unless there are some major surprises. The target should be to get a squad together to push for the next Euros and the 2026 world cup.
Oh sorry I clearly can't read. I must be more traumatized than I thought. :lol:

Yeah I agree Portugal should be playing a lot better with those players.

Pirlo'sBeard

He already won the Euro's with Portugal.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
In the last few years watching Ireland I'd be disappointed that we didn't get a good result but I'd sit back and say that we got ourselves into trouble far too often and were rightfully punished. Normally I'd move on and not give it too much thought or emotion. Tonight I was absolutely devastated and even more so livid. We deserved something out of that game. I had a feeling that for all the effort we'd put in, we'd still get suckerpunched in the dying minutes of the match but even a draw in such a difficult match would be something to celebrate. Coming away with nothing after what was, for once, a towering and gutsy performance was disgusting and completely undeserved. We should have had at least a point from that match, at the very least, and I'm both gutted and sickened that we have nothing to show for it. There was no way we deserved that ending at all. As for that prick of a ref, well the less said the better.

Oranges038

He already won the Euro's with Portugal.
Yeah he did and maybe that buys him some credit. But it was the same shit on a stick football albeit with much a poorer squad and attacking options. There was only maybe 5 or 6 of those players out there tonight.

He should be playing better with those players. Let's be honest they could have and probably should have battered that Ireland team. But it was the same predictable plays and cross after cross after cross. For 85 minutes it was easy for Duffy and Egan in defence to head them away. It is just percentages football, throw enough balls in there and eventually Ronaldo will get his head onto to one or two and that's what happened tonight.

432JuanMata

Considering this is the worst Ireland side I’ve ever seen in my life it makes the result so much harder to take. I’m actually gutted but I’m proud aswell

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Even though Connolly dived badly, I do think the VAR could have given a PK. Palhinha seems to charge Connolly on the back.
Good match from Eire, but more tactical fouls were needed in the last 10 minutes.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Refereee was shite. Ronaldo is a superhuman.

Aside from that what a great performance from a young team. Guess we'll be enjoying pints in a cosy pub next December while the English watch their team lose on penalties in the dry desert.

Withnail

Even though Connolly dived badly, I do think the VAR could have given a PK. Palhinha seems to charge Connolly on the back.
Good match from Eire, but more tactical fouls were needed in the last 10 minutes.
The one where he was barged in the back when taking the shot should probably have been given.

The team will take a lot of confidence from this though. Hopefully we can kick on and get a few wins before we play Portugal again.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That was a nailed on penalty. Classic case of boy who cried wolf though. Connolly was going down like a sack of shit every time he got near their box. You can see why the ref wasn’t inclined to believe him. Why the feck didn’t VAR get him to review the footage though?

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The one where he was barged in the back when taking the shot should probably have been given.

The team will take a lot of confidence from this though. Hopefully we can kick on and get a few wins before we play Portugal again.
Serbia plays worst than us so you guys have a good chance if you get a wining streak.
We have a talented generation being wasted under a Park the bus manager like Fernando Santos. It's a pity this generation Will fail to achieve another title due to outdated tactics.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That was a nailed on penalty. Classic case of boy who cried wolf though. Connolly was going down like a sack of shit every time he got near their box. You can see why the ref wasn’t inclined to believe him. Why the feck didn’t VAR get him to review the footage though?
My thoughts too. It looked like a PK to me and I'm from PT. He would probably miss because the ball was a bit high looking at the replay, but would be a fair decision.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
what the feck was with all that extra time? feckin ref
Doherty alone stopped the game for well over 5 minutes in the second half. 10 minutes of extra time would have felt too little after that. If you mean the extra few seconds after the 5, there was a VAR penalty review during added time.

I agree that we shouldn't have had a penalty in the first half though, that was a bullshit decision.

Your striker's hold up play against freaking Pepe and Ruben Dias was very impressive, who was that?

berbasloth4

first time ever been happy after an ireland defeat. Viva Ronaldo!!

Ps dont blame coaches managers etc look at what players we have at our disposal. coleman is the only player capable and good enough to play top half in the prem.

Pirlo'sBeard

Yeah he did and maybe that buys him some credit. But it was the same shit on a stick football albeit with much a poorer squad and attacking options. There was only maybe 5 or 6 of those players out there tonight.

He should be playing better with those players. Let's be honest they could have and probably should have battered that Ireland team. But it was the same predictable plays and cross after cross after cross. For 85 minutes it was easy for Duffy and Egan in defence to head them away. It is just percentages football, throw enough balls in there and eventually Ronaldo will get his head onto to one or two and that's what happened tonight.
I agree completely. That Portugal team now should be aiming to win the upcoming World Cup. They have fantastic players in every position but Fernando Santos has taken them as far as he can with his outdated style.

Being Irish, that one tonight is tough to take. Pretty much everything went in Portugal's favour. The foul on Connelly in the second half was a definite penalty. 2-0 should have done the trick. It was a reckless challenge from Cancelo. Great effort and plenty to be positive about despite WC qualification being out of sight.

KiD MoYeS

Ps dont blame coaches managers etc look at what players we have at our disposal. coleman is the only player capable and good enough to play top half in the prem.
Are you Irish? You can f*ck off if so. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Doherty alone stopped the game for well over 5 minutes in the second half. 10 minutes of extra time would have felt too little after that. If you mean the extra few seconds after the 5, there was a VAR penalty review during added time.

I agree that we shouldn't have had a penalty in the first half though, that was a bullshit decision.

Your striker's hold up play against freaking Pepe and Ruben Dias was very impressive, who was that?
Presume you mean Adam Idah? He’s a decent prospect. Just needs to find the right club for him to get regular games.

KiD MoYeS

Agree with this.
He was excellent. Needs to be playing this season. Nearly joined Blackburn in the summer as part of a deal for Armstrong, before the latter joined Southampton. Bazunu was also as good in the other end of the pitch.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

Norwich substitute striker Idah! He was really good :)

Withnail

Serbia plays worst than us so you guys have a good chance if you get a wining streak.
We have a talented generation being wasted under a Park the bus manager like Fernando Santos. It's a pity this generation Will fail to achieve another title due to outdated tactics.
We'll see. It's never an easy game against Serbia.

dbs235

Seems to be a common theme amongst international teams. As an England fan, it hits particularly close to home. But most managers around Europe seem disliked by their nation at the moment.

LOIfan

Supports
bohemians

This is unforgivable. Everything thats wrong with football in Ireland.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Seems to be a common theme amongst international teams. As an England fan, it hits particularly close to home. But most managers around Europe seem disliked by their nation at the moment.
At least you guys play decent footie and actually create more chances.
We simply make an overload of crosses and hope for the best

Status
Not open for further replies.