Reserves Vs Blackburn (away)

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
First I've seen of Vermijl. Like a few others he's been a bit off the pace, but that effort with the outside of his boot was class. Hopefully the game will pick up in the second half.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
First I've seen of Vermijl. Like a few others he's been a bit off the pace, but that effort with the outside of his boot was class. Hopefully the game will pick up in the second half.
It will, only because I've got to head out to class.

datura

I quite like the look of Vermijl from early impressions. Looks like a good footballer and a great engine. It will be interesting to see his improvement when he adapts to the pace/physicality of English football.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Great goal. Not his best game but at the end of the day his class earned us a point.

Decotron

I think we merited a draw, especially on the balance of chances created although it wasn't as fluent as the 2nd half v Bolton.

Obertan was a huge disappointment today.
Your probably right in that sense. I just thought we'd get caught on the break again towards the end with their strikers.

Oberton was v poor end product wise. Dont like Brady on the right either

radd

I think we merited a draw, especially on the balance of chances created although it wasn't as fluent as the 2nd half v Bolton.

Obertan was a huge disappointment today.
Indeed he was, and with Valenci and Giggs out, even more disappointing.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Lets not too be critical of obertan. Afterall for most of the game he was a forward who was jumping to win balls and that's not really his game. When he did get the ball, he didn't have a lot of space and the chance he missed the ball was going all over the place

I'm not sure why we didn't just start Cofie (a recognised striker) and play obertan on the wing or in a three up top but overall a fair result

TheMancRedDevil

I've been away for a couple of weeks and have not been able to follow any football while away but was this Obertan's first appearance since getting injured during the pre-season tour?

datura

Lets not too be critical of obertan. Afterall for most of the game he was a forward who was jumping to win balls and that's not really his game. When he did get the ball, he didn't have a lot of space and the chance he missed the ball was going all over the place

I'm not sure why we didn't just start Cofie (a recognised striker) and play obertan on the wing or in a three up top but overall a fair result
As I stated before, Cofie had played 90 mins on Saturday for the Academy so is never going to start.

I was mainly disappointed with Obertan's game on the ground. He rarely beat his man and was sloppy in possession. The chance he missed was because one of his touches was poor, not because of the ball.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Why?

Personally I think he may end up as a central midfielder.
I just think he's a good solid player but there's nothing outstanding other than his attitude. He's decent on the ball but not a genius, a decent dribbler but not exactly Messi, not lightning fast - I just don't think from what I've seen that his strongest attributes would suit an offensive role.

He is very strong, good in the air and puts a good ball into the box (usually anyway) though, and he will work all day. It's not the worst accusatione ver, either - both Ashley Cole and Kieran Gibbs started as midfielders and were converted.

datura

I just think he's a good solid player but there's nothing outstanding other than his attitude. He's decent on the ball but not a genius, a decent dribbler but not exactly Messi, not lightning fast - I just don't think from what I've seen that his strongest attributes would suit an offensive role.

He is very strong, good in the air and puts a good ball into the box (usually anyway) though, and he will work all day. It's not the worst accusatione ver, either - both Ashley Cole and Kieran Gibbs started as midfielders and were converted.
I was just interested why. I guess I can see that, I just want to see him have a long run without injury before making any real judgement.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I thought Brady was the pick of our midfielders yesterday and it was really noticeable how much Blackburn got on top when he picked up a knock (and after he was subbed off)

That's faint praise, because nobody was outstanding but still, he had a good game IMO.

Decotron

Well on Brady I agree with Datura, I always felt a more central role suits him. As do the his old coaches etc from St. Kevin's (for whats that worth)

I only commented on Keane recently aswell. He's really stepped it up of late.

Nice to see 2 Irish lads impressing at United.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well on Brady I agree with Datura, I always felt a more central role suits him. As do the his old coaches etc from St. Kevin's (for whats that worth)

I only commented on Keane recently aswell. He's really stepped it up of late.

Nice to see 2 Irish lads impressing at United.
Sorry, I meant Brady, not Keane. Edited my post.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

Yupp, Obertan clearly lacks a bit of sharpness still, but he worked his socks off in an unfamiliar position and deserves some credit.

TheMancRedDevil

No. He's been back for a few weeks now. He came off the bench v Scunthorpe.
Cheers. I just thought that it might have been a bit harsh to be reading too much into a comeback from injury game.

I watched the game on MUTV today though and the one thing I think he needs to pick up on a bit is his work-rate off the ball. I dunno if he's a bit lacking fitness after the injury but he just seems to stop and do walk around a lot when we don't have possession.

Given his pace, he could probably use it a bit more to put pressure on the opposition a bit more (Tevez-style).

datura

Cheers. I just thought that it might have been a bit harsh to be reading too much into a comeback from injury game.

I watched the game on MUTV today though and the one thing I think he needs to pick up on a bit is his work-rate off the ball. I dunno if he's a bit lacking fitness after the injury but he just seems to stop and do walk around a lot when we don't have possession.

Given his pace, he could probably use it a bit more to put pressure on the opposition a bit more (Tevez-style).
In reality, if he has ambitions to become a first team player on a regular basis he should be looking too good for this level, as most first teamers do when they appear for the reserves.

I've not too fussed about his defensive work, I'd like to see him beating players, having shots, creating chances etc and so far he's had virtually no end product and now found himself behind Bebe in the queue for a first team squad place.

He seems to lack positivity in his play at times, something noticeably Bebe didn't in his appearances so far.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies

I watched the game on MUTV today though and the one thing I think he needs to pick up on a bit is his work-rate off the ball.
I dunno if he's a bit lacking fitness after the injury but he just seems to stop and do walk around a lot when we don't have possession.

Relatively speaking I thought his work rate was positive last night. He'll never be a Wazza or a Tevez but he continued to make runs even though he was frustratingly isolated at times in a role he didn't seem comfortable with. All in all he was a bit underwhelming though, but then he hasn't been back for too long.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think lou summed it up nicely during commentry. When we think of Obertan, how many think of an Henry type of striker? Someone who uses his pace and gets it from deep

Obertan was going up for headers and not looking to play off the last man. He was like a winger playing as a forward and really not knowing what to do but what summed it up best was when Obertan went up for a header and lou said, 'I thought he'd run in behind'.

Not the exact words but the sentiments the same. I don't think he should be challenging for balls and playing like an old fashioned striker. when you start so high up, you lose momentum and I think he struggled because of his starting position, the service he didn't get and because he played the role wrong

That said he should have scored but the ball was going all over the shop. The boys a winger and if he's a striker I think he'd be better of starting in a deeper wing position

The new belgium lad looked good out of position or may be he'll prove better there. I don't think we're suggesting he's a bigger talent but if you can play the role properly it gives you more confidence. It's definately a work in progress for me because we had Cofie on the bench. A player who knows the position and could have helped Obertan with his pace and with his ability to play up top