Reserves vs Oldham

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Obertan starts for Reserves - Manchester United Official Web Site

Obertan starts for Reserves
United fans can finally get a glimpse of summer signing Gabriel Obertan in action tonight, as he lines up for the Reserves in a Manchester Senior Cup tie against Oldham Athletic.

The French winger has been sidelined with spine trouble since his move from Bordeaux, but will start for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side at Hyde United's Ewen Fields as he aims to kickstart his Reds career.

Brazilian full-back Rafael also returns from injury, having sufficiently recovered from shoulder trouble, and he is joined by brother Fabio, Scott Wootton and Oliver Gill in defence. Ben Amos will keep goal.

Matty James, Sam Hewson, Oliver Norwood and Robbie Brady make up the remainder of the midfield with Obertan, while Febian Brandy will lead the line as a lone striker.

Triallist goalkeeper Daniel Lloyd-Western will be on the substitutes' bench, alongside William Keane, Magnus Eikrem and Joshua King.

The match kicks-off at 19:00 BST, with MUTV's live and exclusive coverage beginning at 18:30 BST.
Can't wait to see Obertan play - pitty there is only Brandy starting up top - very defensive. Also a pitty that neither Eikrem nor King are starting.

cj_sparky

Will be good to see Obertan, but can't wait to see a twin down either flank. :drool: Love those little guys.

I agree it is a shame about King and Eikrem, though nice to see Matty James back from international duty.

Decotron

Not our strongest team but should be very interesting to see Obertan. I like Ole's style of management he really is ensuring every player is getting a fair chance to impress, thats all the youngsters need. Must be good for morale aswell.

Its getting near to the stage where I may owe young Gill an apology as he has developed alot in the last 6 months. Never rated him in the academy at all.

Id say Obertan will get an hour and be replaced by King, hopefully with a view to making the first team bench at the weekend.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
I know we have been pegging Obertan as a winger, but it has been said many times that he can play anywhere in attack.

I think there is a chance he could be played as the support player from midfield, centrally. Brady on the left. Hewson and Norwood have been played on the right before, haven't they? Also, with Raf bombing down the wing, we don't need a massively offensive winger. We need someone who can play a bit on the right, but also someone who can cover Raf's runs.

Ekeke

Yeah Obertan may be played as a striker, but he's not much of a goal scorer. So if he is played there, perhaps you shouldnt expect too much.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I have asked my friend from FBTZ to record it for us so that we can see the entire match.. I am so excited.. Lets just hope he accepts my request and actually record this!

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
We'll play 4-5-1 unless Obertan is up front then?
Yea IMO it will be a 4-5-1:
Obertan James, Hewson, Norwood Brady
Brandy

or a 4-3-3
James, Hewson, Norwood
Obertan Brandy Brady

or a free role for Obertan in a 4-4-1-1.. as Bitch... I mean Mitch Conor said earlier..

and yes I know I have just noted down almost all the possibilities..

rocks13

Is there any reason why Macheda's not involved here?

He's not injured or on international duty is he?

lysglimt

Scout
Btw - Kieran Lee is playing for Oldham tonight....it really hasn't worked out for him at Oldham and he has hardly had a game at first team level - sadly enough.

lysglimt

Scout
Pity that. I always used to think he had real potential. Shows what I know.
Well - he did have a lot of potential. I mean not Premier League potential - but he didn't look worse than a few of our players who have done really well in the Championship or League 1 on loan

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Guys I found someone who will be capping this and I shall post it in the Video's thread as and when it is up!

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Yea IMO it will be a 4-5-1:
Obertan James, Hewson, Norwood Brady
Brandy

or a 4-3-3
James, Hewson, Norwood
Obertan Brandy Brady

or a free role for Obertan in a 4-4-1-1.. as Bitch... I mean Mitch Conor said earlier..

and yes I know I have just noted down almost all the possibilities..
:eek:well that ain't very nice!!

PS18

prateik

why just 4 on the bench

where is delaet ? everyone away on international duty?