Other Rewatching vs Single watching of Series/Movies

SirAnderson

So, this has been bugging me and wanted to know who is in the minority or majority? Those who re-watch stuff vs those who only watch something once and can't watch it again. For lack of a better way to phrase it.

It seems to me that there are more that can watch a series or movie multiple times, and there are some that can only watch something one time and that's it.

The only series I've re-watched completely is The Wire. I've watched Breaking Bad twice but the second time I skipped over some episodes.
Some movies I have re-watched after a number of years went by and I forgot what happened. (Titanic doesn't count, shhh)

Doubt a poll is needed as I expect it to heavily favor "rewatchers".

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Only tend to rewatch comedy shows/films. I don't see the pull in rewatching an entire series again when there's so much new shit to see.

SirAnderson

Rewatch stuff constantly.
Simply because you enjoyed it?

I think it is genre specific, like a mystery or crime, I would find extremely hard to watch again. I think once I know what happens it I can't rewatch it again. But other stuff like action movies or family movies (For kids) or rewatching something with your other half, are where I find myself rewatching. But actively saying, I want to watch this again, I struggle. Especially as @Salt Bailly says, there is so many other things to watch its hard to go back.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It really depends on the content. Story-driven movies or series are less likely to be interesting on a second watch as you already know all the plot twists and ending, but there are tons of media that doesn’t put story first — from most comedy shows to, I don’t know, Lynch’s or Bergman’s movies.

As a rule of thumb I rarely rewatch stuff unless I’ve seen it way too long ago though.

OleBoiii

So I just went over my favorite films and TV series... I've typically seen my favorite films at least 3 times. Some of them more than 5 times!

TV series is a different ballgame. I have rewatched almost all my favorite TV series, but I can easily count on one hand the ones I've seen more than twice. I will however sometimes pick a random episode from a sitcom I love and watch it while eating.

All that being said: most of the stuff I watch is stuff I haven't seen before.

I'm not sure if I should count myself as a typical rewatcher. I do love rewatching stuff, though.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Simply because you enjoyed it?

I think it is genre specific, like a mystery or crime, I would find extremely hard to watch again. I think once I know what happens it I can't rewatch it again. But other stuff like action movies or family movies (For kids) or rewatching something with your other half, are where I find myself rewatching. But actively saying, I want to watch this again, I struggle. Especially as @Salt Bailly says, there is so many other things to watch its hard to go back.
Yea just because I’ve enjoyed it.

I’ve rewatched loads of TV series several times over and always enjoy them again, often more so than on first watch.

I’m not as big a movie watcher as I am TV, but even then there’s a shit-tonne of movies I’ve seen countless times.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Rewatch stuff constantly.
Same.

Imagine watching The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad only once? There is so much stuff one would miss out on.

Game of Thrones up to season 4 is highly re-watchable. A lot of foreshadowing happens and it’s really satisfying. After season 5 the whole fecking thing is a car crash.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I watched HBO’s Chernobyl like 4 times.

Also, I would rewatch every time a movie or a show gets remastered. I mean how could anyone miss lord of the rings on 4K and HDR?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I never re watch them unless it’s been long enough that I can’t remember it very well. I’ll only do it if i’m watching it again with somebody else who hasn’t seen it.

LARulz

I can only do it for sitcoms I enjoy, I find it really difficult to rewatch drama shows no matter how much I enjoyed them. I will watch with someone if it's their first time but the excitement in those shows is not knowing what will happen next

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Sitcoms and things like that I can watch again, but the long running series I wouldn't.
I can watch films again as long as there is a long enough time in between them, couldn't see a film at the cinema then go back next day watch it again.

OleBoiii

I actually find people who never rewatch anything to be weirder than people who mainly rewatch.

Why would you not feel like rewatching something you love? The only reasons I can think of is that you're a completionist or only get enjoyment from not knowing the end. Both of which are weird reasons, imo.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I prefer to rewatch stuff, apparently this is linked to anxiety in some ways? I think I remember seeing that somewhere.

I tend to get second hand embarrassment when watching stuff and find myself cringing through scenes I don't like, so I prefer watching things where even though I know what happens, I still get entertainment from it. Plus working from home having sitcoms on in the background keeps me sane.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm half and half but I find it helps owning films I like on DVD/Blu-ray and also limiting the number of services I have to watch new things. At the moment I only have Netflix and don't really like the movie selection so it often pushes me towards things I already own and ultimately like more.

I suspect say the sheer amount of content is what creates this problem (analysis paralysis?). It's part of our world at this point and as an individual the only thing I feel I can do is try not to drown in choice. While I like having that choice, I also dislike how ephemeral it makes experiencing things.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not fond on rewatching series.

But i do enjoy rewatching movies of all sort. Some because i genuinely forgot about the stories and some because i simply love it.

Some were classics. Some just nostalgic. Some just fun to watch

shaky

i've got an awful memory, so I find I can rewatch my favourite shows/ replay my favourite story based games after about 3 years, and they'll seem fairly fresh.

Dante

Average bang
Life's too short. Watch once and then move on. There'll always be new content to consume so keep up with the times or you'll get stuck in the past.

If something is worth remembering, you'll remember it and be able to discuss it years later. If it you forget, that's probably for the best.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I would guess that people who rewatch shows and films are those that get involved emotionally with films / tv shows and music and enjoy the process. Rewatching things that affect you emotionally gives a repeat each time and that is appealing. I can rewatch any of my all time favourites. TV shows or films that really connect on a character or emotional level are the most repeated.

Multiple TV show rewatches of:

1. Twin Peaks - lord knows how many times I've watched this over the years but it still appeals so much. Just love Agent Cooper and the soundtrack.
  2. Sopranos - Never gets tired, again, the characters are all so rich that you feel you know them
  3. This is England - Film and TV Show - The characters are so well written and identifiable, coupled with the very emotional screenplays and incredible period soundtracks makes this one of my true favourites. Watched loads of times and never gets old.
Too many films to list but Jaws, Alien, Shawshank Redemption, Field of Dreams, Interstellar, 2001 to name a few that I can just repeat over and over and still find the same enjoyment.

OleBoiii

Watch once and then move on. There'll always be new content to consume so keep up with the times.
This is only true if you are easily entertained.

I genuinely fear that I'm running out of good TV series. In the last couple of years I've noticed a lot of glowing recommendations that turn out to be just "OK". To me, stuff that's just OK is a waste of time.

youngrell

Have rewatched The Sopranos and Breaking Bad a few times, and certain films a tonne of times.

I also tend to rewatch the previous season of a show that is due a new one (if there's been a year long wait for it) so it's fresh in my memory going into the latest one.

Some shows are richer for a rewatch, you notice the little Easter eggs and foreshadowing dotted throughout and it makes you appreciate the writing a bit more.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I prefer to rewatch stuff, apparently this is linked to anxiety in some ways? I think I remember seeing that somewhere.
Yeah I think there were some studies that showed that we go back to certain types of shows for the comfort it brings. It's not the only reason (there's obviously a variety of other ones), but it plays a part.

acnumber9

I’d rather watch the Sopranos for the tenth time than some of the garbage they’re churning out now.

arnie_ni

I'd re watch a TV series before a movie but sometimes when there is sfa on you have to re watch a movie just to fill the time.

Somw of my multiple watches

The wire
Sons of anarchy
The shield
Band of brothers
Sopranos
Game of thrones
Greys anatomy and one tree hill with the wife

I think good TV shows are harder to come by so I have no issue commiting to an old one again every few years.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Can't watch Sopranos anymore, which saddens me a bit. Loved that show. Watched The Night Of for a second time a while back. Almost as good as the first time. Others watched more than once would be first few seasons of Game of thrones and the Wire

AaronRedDevil

I just finished rewatching Peaky blinders and Battlestar Galactica. Some shows are so good to rewatch again but then there's some where only one watch is best. Like sopranos, Wire, Shield or better call Saul.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The US one is leagues better just for not having that whopping thundercnut Gervais in it.
No doubt Gervais is a thundercnut, but he's done some great stuff. Afterlife (S1 anyway) is actually another I've watched repeatedly. Not saying the US version of The Office is terrible but it's nowhere near as relateable.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I re-watch things, but I also re-read books constantly. I'm always reading something, and I'm lucky enough not to have the greatest memory in the world, so many of the details will be gone. Particularly if we're talking series of books, which is frequently the case since I mostly read fantasy and sci-fi. In that case I'll gradually remember details as I'm reading, which is satisfying.

Currently I'm on a re-read of the original Revelation Space trilogy (not really a trilogy, since a 4th book is coming out this year, 18 years after the 3rd).

I'll do the same with particularly good TV series, such as Band of Brothers, The Leftovers, The Wire, that sort of thing. If something is good mostly because it is surprising, then it's not really good IMO. I have to let some time pass, though, I'm not a psychopath.

Tarrou

I find rewatching stuff I love quite therapeutic

one of the things I like about getting older is as my memory gets worse and I can rewatch stuff sooner :lol:

i also like it when I stumble across an old movie that I have no recollection of but then realise I've seen it before because of some random scene that sticks out

largelyworried

For some reason, I almost never rewatch actually good stuff, but shallow silliness I can watch many times over.

Dante

Average bang
On my 7th run of US Office as we speak.
I honestly don't know how you can do that.

For me, the biggest part of watching something like The Sopranos is not knowing what could happen next. I can understand the comfort of familiarity. But I can't understand what else you're getting from the experience that isn't a watered down version of what you experienced the first time around.

I'd much rather watch an inferior but new show which has the capacity to surprise me with fresh twists.

Dante

Average bang
For some reason, I almost never rewatch actually good stuff, but shallow silliness I can watch many times over.
I can understand rewatching comedy. Humour is all about timing and delivery. So jokes can withstand repeat viewing in a way that drama can't, imo.