Rhian Brewster

United58

£40 million for players they poached from the Chelsea academy.. Fair play to them I guess!
Probably not hard to poach youth from Chelsea given how limited their route to the first team is. Last season they had a few through because of the embargo, them immediately signed players in those positions once they were allowed to

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
It wasn't a dig so relax. Like I already said, it's from a different time. Just thinking back is all.
It is crazy when you look at transfers now though. Joelinton is one that stands out too

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Probably not hard to poach youth from Chelsea given how limited their route to the first team is. Last season they had a few through because of the embargo, them immediately signed players in those positions once they were allowed to
Its a wonder at how 4 of the 6 goals in the league we have this season are from academy graduates with all them pesky new signings then aint it !

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm not sure what your point is sorry i might be missing it, he has sold Solanke, Stewart, Smith, Brewster, Hoever for good money all players he brought through and developed but realised weren't good enough for league/champions league winning teams. What would be the point in Klopp persisting with the players I've mentioned who unfortunately for them simply aren't good enough for the standard required, they as players themselves need minutes to grow. He's now bringing Neco Williams and Curtis Jones through.

To say he hasn't developed Trent is idiotic he brought through a very raw young RB and has helped him grow into the best RB in the world. Trent wasn't immediately that good, he certainly had the tools to become that good but Klopp has definitely helped him in his journey. That is fair enough dismissing Robertson due to age as that's a matter of opinion on what constitutes a young player but Robertson was 23 when Klopp bought him and had only 2 seasons in the premier league with Hull both of which ended in relegation, Klopp certainly developed.
I’m not discussing anything with someone who can’t have a civil discussion about something that doesn’t really matter without being insulting, with words like idiotic. Have a nice day.

Bondi77

I would have been happy getting him for 25 mil but we just do not do business with the Pool.

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan
Show me this track record. Ole plays plenty of young players. And it’s not because of that that we aren’t good enough. Not that Ole has anything to do with this.

Fergie has proven that great managers can bring through plenty of youngsters and still win things, and that’s when you’re not winning the league at a canter. And I’m not even counting the co92 in that because there was a lot of good fortune there.
You realize Klopp managed Dortmund right? There's some lad named Lowandowski who Klopp found in Poland and helped turn into the best striker in the world.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I’m not discussing anything with someone who can’t have a civil discussion about something that doesn’t really matter without being insulting, with words like idiotic. Have a nice day.
He's right though, it's a weird argument. Klopp has used young players, including TAA. Stretching the argument beyond that makes little sense. Plus, you could also argue that TAA is only this good because of Klopp. It's not likd he reaches the same heights for England. Finally, if development while already in the first team is the key metric, then you'd have to admit that Klopp developed plenty of players (of various ages) into their current level. Or you'd have to say that United's managers don't develop youngsters either, only the academy does.

I'll agree, though, that Klopp could have played youngsters a lot more last year, especially after they lost a game and the records were out of sight.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Quite ironic this given you're trying to smash your transfer record for a player who if signed will immediately bench Greenwood.

United58

Quite ironic this given you're trying to smash your transfer record for a player who if signed will immediately bench Greenwood.
Greenwood isn't a right winger and if he keeps up his current rate of development he'll be our first choice attacker withing two years, whether or not we sign Sancho.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Havertz and Van De Beek will get the headlines for flop of the season at this point but given the relative spending power of the clubs involved Brewster has to be up there. No idea what Sheffield United were doing buying him for £25 million. Still hasn't scored a goal for them.

NinjaFletch

Havertz and Van De Beek will get the headlines for flop of the season at this point but given the relative spending power of the clubs involved Brewster has to be up there. No idea what Sheffield United were doing buying him for £25 million. Still hasn't scored a goal for them.
At least he's not playing for them. Ramsdale cost them near £20m and he's awful.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Brewster will be a killer for them in the championship next year and he’ll do well when they get back to the PL. I don’t get the obsession with every signing needing to hit top form and play every game straight away. Lots of signings are made for the future. Plenty of signings are made because they will represent value over the period of a contract. I bet VDB becomes an important player for us by this time next year, just like Fred. Imagine moving city and changing job leaving friends and family and everyone saying you’re shit or the manager must not like you as you’re just getting into it. It’s mental and you’d think people would realise by now it’s silly to judge a deal after 4 months but seemingly not on here ever

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Yeah, Ramsdale is definitely their biggest mistake. The ball seems to go through him at times and Henderson was a fantastic last line of defence. That is the error that will relegate them.

Brewster was the wrong buy for the moment. They should have brought in someone more first team ready, but I wouldn’t discount him. Solanke has started to score goals in the Championship and could come back up a different player.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If we sold Tuanzebe, Januzaj, Ashley Fletcher and Wilson at the right time we could afford to buy full price Sancho by now.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Caught my eye last night where they were pushing for an equaliser in injury time and he gave the ball away twice in successive attacks.

To cut him a little slack they were the only 2 unsuccessful passes he made according to whoscored after he came on, he was 6 out of 8 successful, but they ended promising attacks at a key time.

Classical Mechanic

Brewster will be a killer for them in the championship next year and he’ll do well when they get back to the PL. I don’t get the obsession with every signing needing to hit top form and play every game straight away. Lots of signings are made for the future. Plenty of signings are made because they will represent value over the period of a contract. I bet VDB becomes an important player for us by this time next year, just like Fred. Imagine moving city and changing job and everyone saying you’re shit as you get eased into it. It’s mental.
If you look at Solanke, a much derided transfer, he's been one of Bournemouth's very best players this season as they sit 2nd in the Championship aiming to return to the PL straight away. If his form continues and they get promoted he'll have been well worth the £19m.

As for Brewster, he missed nearly two years with injury so it was a big risk of a transfer.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If you look at Solanke, a much derided transfer, he's been one of Bournemouth's very best players this season as they sit 2nd in the Championship aiming to return to the PL straight away. If his form continues and they get promoted he'll have been well worth the £19m.
exactly. He’s already better value than someone like Sanchez or even falcao as his potential is untapped and he’s injury free. He might not work out and they’ll still get a good fee for him. Wish people make these lists at the end of a players second season. Off the top of my head Cole, Fred, Ronaldo, Stam, Evra, DDG and Vidic all needed that first season to settle in but people seemingly forget that then every single time.

Fridge chutney

£23M for Brewster:lol:

Hopefully this reminds clubs not to get fleeced by Liverpool for their rejects anymore.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
£23M for Brewster:lol:

Hopefully this reminds clubs not to get fleeced by Liverpool for their rejects anymore.
He may not keep them up, but there’s every chance he’ll get them promoted and develop his game. He’s had two years out with injuries that have hampered his pace. The boy needs time to change and develop his game.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He may not keep them up, but there’s every chance he’ll get them promoted and develop his game. He’s had two years out with injuries that have hampered his pace. The boy needs time to change and develop his game.
I agree with this but it was clearly the wrong signing for them in their position. They needed a starting striker urgently.

Wilder gets a lot of deserved praise for his approach and his great work at Sheffield United, but he had two big jobs in the summer.

Find a 15 goal striker and find a reliable goalkeeper.

Yes, he had restrictions on what he could offer, but he has failed miserably on both counts. Ramsdale is probably the worst starting keeper In the league and his 23 million pound striker might not even get one goal, nevermind 15.

Get those two positions even half right and they potentially stay up.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Brewster 26mil
Solanke 21mil
Ward 14mil
Ibe 18mil

how do they do it? :lol:
:lol:
The demise of Bournemouth and Howe. Like selling a car that you know isn’t very good to a hard up neighbour for a profit

All Championship players at PL prices,

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I agree with this but it was clearly the wrong signing for them in their position. They needed a starting striker urgently.

Wilder gets a lot of deserved praise for his approach and his great work at Sheffield United, but he had two big jobs in the summer.

Find a 15 goal striker and find a reliable goalkeeper.

Yes, he had restrictions on what he could offer, but he has failed miserably on both counts. Ramsdale is probably the worst starting keeper In the league and his 23 million pound striker might not even get one goal, nevermind 15.

Get those two positions even half right and they potentially stay up.
Yeah I completely agree with this. Wilders attitude towards the signing was telling too. Said something along the lines of 20 million only gets you a kid these days. Maybe a little too honest!

The keeper for me was the biggest screw up. It’s the most important and underrated position in the side.

TheGame

Considering Sheff Utd have limited transfer funds, I'm surprised they forked out all that money on him and not brought more proven players. Looks like they will suffer for it like Bournemouth did.

Fridge chutney

What you say is true. I find it astounding that Sheffield would pay £24M to develop a player instead of investing the funds elsewhere or with someone who can help them avoid relegation in the first place.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brewster 26mil
Solanke 21mil
Ward 14mil
Ibe 18mil

They sell at the right time. We could just as easily be putting impressive fees in a list like that about Tuanzebe, Williams, Henderson, Fosu Mensah, James etc. should we have sold at the right point.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Brewster 26mil
Solanke 21mil
Ward 14mil
Ibe 18mil

I most enjoyed Kevin Stewart to Hull for 8m the same summer we bought Robertson from them for the same amount. Effectively a swap deal.

Ings was also sold for 20m, but he's been worth every penny and then some.