Right back....what are the options (if any)?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Was having this discussion with my mate yesterday about Yedlin. I watched him in the MLS with Seattle where he stood out a country mile. There were times when he controlled games from RB the way Dani Alves did at Sevilla. So when he moved to spurs I was excited to see him as he came at a time when the roll of the full back was changing and he seemed to have everything in his locker. This also coincided with your standard left winger being right footed and always cutting inside, which Yedlin literally never had to defend against once in the MLS. He was so effective because any ball in behind, he would be first to it. But the reason he got punted from spurs to Sunderland so fast was that he has absolutely no idea how to stop a player from cutting inside. I watched him one on one v martial a few times last night and he was showing him inside. What he should be doing is showing players down the line because that’s where he is effective. He can’t tackle with his left foot properly, and has a much stronger left shoulder barge than a right (like a lot of people) yet he has no tactical understanding of how to force an attacker into a space where he can actually do what he’s good at.

Short explanation, he lacks the basic understanding of what the right back role is defensively and we should steer clear.
Yeah, he is a prime example of pace and strength doing the defending, rather that positioning and assessing the situation in front of him.

Deleted member 101472

Might as well sell Dalot if we sign Wan-Bissaka — both of them are very good fullback talents and neither will be pleased with a stop-start role in a crucial phase in their development. Players from a weaker league usually take time to acclimatize to a higher standard, especially one who has played less than 20 first team matches at Porto and United combined like Dalot...either put your faith in him as the nominal starter (and potential right-back mainstay for the next decade) and surround him with an experienced head who can act as bridge option while the former grows in stature (bearing in mind that Dalot was coveted by a host of clubs for a reason and was an elite player in the youth circuit), or get rid and sign Wan-Bissaka (or possibly Hakimi if Madrid are amenable). I'd probably sign Alves on a 1-2 year contract and go with the former option — think Dalot could learn a lot from a serial winner and one of the best fullbacks in modern football, and someone with Alves' nous/experience/gravitas would be hugely beneficial for the squad in general. Or maybe Juanfran, whose contract at Atlético also expires in the summer...

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2019/01/01/5c2949b4e5fdeab0778b45bb.html

Neither will hamper Dalot's development and would probably be ok with somewhat diminished roles over the next couple of seasons considering their age profile.
Love the alves suggestion, probably have an ibraesque effect on the dressing room. He and pogba can communicate in Italian too, that’s a bromance we all need.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
For me, Valencia and Young are done. They have to go this summer, one of them should actually go this month (Valencia) but I don't think it'll happen.

In any case, that just leaves Dalot as Darmian will surely go too.

I wouldn't go mad on a top, elite RB, I have enough faith in Dalot to give him a major chance at being our starter. Wan-Bissaka is a good shout, anything to be said for just letting TFM and Dalot fight for it next season?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If we went after a new RB this summer the obvious choice would be Aaron Wan-Bissaka of Crystal Palace.
Totally agree. Relatively proven, improving and young. For now bring back Fosu-Mensah as cover for Young, as none of our CBs are fast enough and I never want to see Valencia 'playing' there again.

That'd give us 2 options for the rest of the season, and then look to get in a first team RB who is ready in the summer. We'd then have both Fosu-Mensah and Dalot fighting for the second spot. Top teams need two first team full backs on each side nowadays.

Red_toad

Wan-Bissaka should be a top priority for us in the summer.

I also really like Yedlin.
Wan Bissaka is exceptional at defending, but not what a team like United need in the attacking third of the pitch. Probably been a good signing for Jose, but if we're going to try and dominate possession and have width from full backs, he's certainly not that style of defender.

Infra-red

Meunier, Soares, Clyne, Juanfran, Piszczek, Rafinha, Caligiuri, D.Alves, Vrsaljko (Inter might take up their option to buy) are all at the end of their contracts, this year or next, and might be available for reasonable prices. They wouldn't hinder Dalot's development but would likely be upgrades on Valencia.

BrianLy

Dalot should be one option, but we need another one. Valencia should have played his last game for us yesterday.
We'll always need a better something. Making use of what we have is what management is about, and I feel differently post-Mourinho about this problem.

It would be very nice to have a replacement for Valencia right now, but that's wishful thinking in my opinion. He's a captain and it's half-way through the season. Also, there is no guarantee that any addition would integrate quickly. I think we've got to stumble along with what we've got for now, and Ole's interim status is good cover for giving Dalot more exposure than he may ordinarily get.

Once it gets to the end of the season it's a completely different situation. Valencia can leave more gracefully and we have the ability to ease someone in at the start of next season. Ideally they'd be someone who can model the style we want Dalot to develop into, or someone that Dalot will have good competition with. Since we don't necessarily know what drives Dalot, there are factors that we will all be missing. The recruit would have 1-2 good years left at most to demonstrate to Dalot that he can make the role his own.

Reactions: Invictus

Jezpeza

I like the look of Max Aarons at Norwich. If you want someone young who’s a ‘modern fullback’ and who can bomb up and down all day he’s a good shout although obviously unproven and in the dalot category. Apart from that players I have seen tear it up in the PL are wan Bissaka at palace and pereira at Leicester. Kurt weiser looked good but leverkusen signed him I think.

Ekeke

Its an interesting one because on the surface we don't need to be looking for the next best right back around, we already have a talented youngster we bought but hes a bit young and inexperienced. Thats not going to change unless he plays. So the best bet is to get someone who can do a solid job who has more experience and wouldnt be against rotating the right back role.

Seamus Coleman is 30 now, maybe he'd be available for a cheaper fee and willing to play less games at this point.

Ricardo Pereira and Wan-Bissaka are better than Dalot and would simply replace him, although Ricardo Pereira could also play on the right wing when not at right back. But the point is we dont really need to sign one of them if the club believe in Dalot.

Azpilicueta is another on the mature side, at 29 perhaps he would be a bit cheaper and Chelsea might be convinced to look to the future.

And then there's Doherty who, its true he plays a bit further up the pitch and isnt the best defensively but thats kinda how we use Dalot when he plays and if we continue to have a right winger who isnt a right winger and is instead playing centrally, then it would take that type of player to exploit the space going forward and who can become our right wing in attacks. So he is an option and hes in great form. Is he good enough if we want to be challenging for the title? Not sure about that. But he's good enough for a season or two while Dalot improves and we get ourselves back into the title picture.

JK-27

Dalot has impressed me every time he's played (in the reserves as well as the first team). If you're good enough you're old enough and he definitely seems good enough. He should be our future, anyone we sign should be back up for him.

Devil may care

Get Wan-Bissaka in, exactly the kind of player Sir Alex would have gone for and I reckon a player Ole would and should be in for. A propper Utd signing, like charlenefan says: Highest dribble rate for a defender in the PL, best record defensively in 1 v 1's, young and English, shouldn't cost a fortune

Let him battle it out with Dalot and do the same on the other side, buy Tierny as competition for Shaw, young, propper british talent with bags of potential
He'll cost £50M because he's young and English, same as Chilwell.

Canagel

Whoever it is must be exceptional going forward. Someone with an engine that can go up and down the pitch all game.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I've seen it said that Dalot can play effectively on the left side too? If true, then there is no reason not to bring in another right-back for fear of hampering him.

BaseFishing

Wan-Bissaka:
Young, English, knows the Premier League, looks like a great prospect, hard-working for a mid-table team so we know his attitude is on point.

He's perfect for us, and we have Dalot who has already settled in pretty well so they'll be able to battle it out for first and second choice. Either way, they'll both get enough minutes throughout the season cause of rotation and injuries.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Dalot can also play left back, so AWB would be a great signing for us, Shaw is still unproven to me, but I would love to see him progress in this team. Ethan Laird looks a fantastic prospect in both full back positions, so that would hopefully be our full backs sorted for the next 10 years.

Ahsan_6386

All the talks of getting a new right back who can help fill in the void while Dalot gets ready and the best option I feel is Nathaniel Clyne who unfortunately is at the worst club we can negotiate with and this deal will never happen . Clyne is 27 I believe and probably about enter the prime of his career who is a more than a decent right back . Unfortunately for him currently he is at the wrong club where they have one of the best right back in the league who just happens from their academy so there is no chance of him getting back his place .

Clyne would have been perfect for our time right now . A right back entering his prime with proper league experience who can help the team right now and be a good stop gap till Dalot makes the cut . Last I read is that Cardiff was trying to sign Clyne on loan . I know it won't happen but if there is a chance maybe we could make an enquiry .

JohnnyLaw

Might as well sell Dalot if we sign Wan-Bissaka — both of them are very good fullback talents and neither will be pleased with a stop-start role in a crucial phase in their development. Players from a weaker league usually take time to acclimatize to a higher standard, especially one who has played less than 20 first team matches at Porto and United combined like Dalot...either put your faith in him as the nominal starter (and potential right-back mainstay for the next decade) and surround him with an experienced head who can act as bridge option while the former grows in stature (bearing in mind that Dalot was coveted by a host of clubs for a reason and was an elite player in the youth circuit), or get rid and sign Wan-Bissaka (or possibly Hakimi if Madrid are amenable). I'd probably sign Alves on a 1-2 year contract and go with the former option — think Dalot could learn a lot from a serial winner and one of the best fullbacks in modern football, and someone with Alves' nous/experience/gravitas would be hugely beneficial for the squad in general. Or maybe Juanfran, whose contract at Atlético also expires in the summer...

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2019/01/01/5c2949b4e5fdeab0778b45bb.html

Neither will hamper Dalot's development and would probably be ok with somewhat diminished roles over the next couple of seasons considering their age profile.
Might aswell just re-sign Young then who’s a know entity and already an important figure in the dressing room who’s been around for the good times rather than a 35-year old brazilian play-boy who’s never played in England and a once decent but diminishing Spaniard.

Don’t like any of those options to be honest. I don’t think it’s in the clubs best interest to make concessions for any player, you should earn your spot in the lineup.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I haven't watch Everton that much this season but if Coleman is still as good as he was before injury, we should go for him. He was a top right back, and at the age of 30 will be perfect age for Dalot as well.

MetoTTT

Pavard is a CB who played out of position at RB for France because Sidibe was useless.

tonnas

Meunier is always great everythime I saw him, easily top 5 cb in the world imo. If he is available it is a no brainer!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I haven't watch Everton that much this season but if Coleman is still as good as he was before injury, we should go for him. He was a top right back, and at the age of 30 will be perfect age for Dalot as well.
Sums it up.

He's nowhere near the player he was

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Wan-Bissaka:
Young, English, knows the Premier League, looks like a great prospect, hard-working for a mid-table team so we know his attitude is on point.

He's perfect for us, and we have Dalot who has already settled in pretty well so they'll be able to battle it out for first and second choice. Either way, they'll both get enough minutes throughout the season cause of rotation and injuries.
Kept TFM out of the Palace side..so it's a yes from me

tomaldinho1

Wan Bissaka has a growing fan base - guy is perfect in that he is physically excellent, fast, athletic and technical enough to get forward but remains a strong one vs one defender - as proven when he had Sane in his pocket last game vs City. At worst he'll just be a far more mobile and fit Valencia.

Andersons Dietician

Really got to give Dalot a chance but I’ve been impressed with Bissaka since he replaced Fosu to face us last year, that game he and Anholt ran us ragged and I would happily have swapped Young and Valencia plus 20 mil for the both of them there and then but we now have Dalot and need to see what he can do so I’d be tempted to allow Young and he another year and just see how he gets on, if Young leaves then someone older like Alves who wouldn’t mind limited time.

Dong Fangzhuo

Why not give Diogo Dalot and Timothy Fosu-Mensah a real chance at the position?
I don't think TFM is a very good RB but he can't be worse than Valencia so I'm all for it till the end of the season at least.

SparkedIntoLife

I think most of us agree we need a stop gap while Dalot and Laird/O'Connor are developing. Valencia's time is definitely up I think. Ashley Young is looking like he has more in the tank so could stay one more year. However, Dalot and Young looks fairly weak for right back.

This probably explains the links for Eder Militao or Nikola Milenkovic; both can play right back but are probably centre backs long term. They can bed in at this position for a year while learning English and we can also sign another more experienced centre back like Koulibaly, Alderweireld etc. Introducing two new central defenders expected to start regularly is a big ask, especially if they don't speak English. This way, two can be bought as the future partnership but not introduced together in such a pivotal position. Smalling or Lindelöf can fill the void for next year alongside the new CD. Tuanzebe comes back from loan and Jones/Rojo are moved on. I'd also sell Bailly while he still has a fair bit of market value as opposed to waiting for him to come good. I'm sure he'll end up a much better defender than he's currently showing but I doubt he'll be elite quality.

So our defence next season -

RB = Militao/Milenkovic > Dalot > Young
LB = NEW > Shaw > Young
CD = NEW > Smalling > Lindelöf > Tuanzebe

In 2020/2021 -

RB = Dalot > Laird/O'Connor
LB = NEW FROM PREVIOUS YEAR > Shaw
CD = NEW FROM PREVIOUS YEAR > Militao/Milenkovic > Tuanzebe > Lindelöf > Smalling

iHicksy

I mean, it's Dalot isn't it? That's the reason we bought him? Lots of Europe's top clubs were clamouring for him, including Bayern but we were the ones that were willing to buy him whilst he was injured. What we need is a rotation option for him once Darmian has gone back to Italy. Personally I thought Bailly looked really good there but i'm not sure what his crossing is like. Likewise, when Fosu-mensah played there for us he was superb. I'd be more than happy with Dalot as the main RB and Mensah covering, but, people are saying that's not his natural position so I guess we need to look elsewhere.

rotherham_red

Meunier or Wan-Bissaka. Preference would be for AWB, as he knows the league well and we shouldn't have any issues on that front.