Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Fekir hasn't played since he did his ACL and in truth him, Griezmann and Dybala are all making their names in 2 Striker systems where they play a free second striker role, rather than as wide forwards.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He plays more centrally, but he is a good No.10
I remember that he ruptured 3 ligaments in his knee, he has been out for 6 months. Is he playing again?
He is back to training, he should comeback in April.

Walters_19_MuFc

Just want to say Lingard, along with Martial and Memphis, is a lot better on the left than he is on the right. He doesn't run from the right as comfortable than he does on the left. I remember the Moscow game, where he was comfortably our most threatening player, constantly running at the Moscow back four. From the academy he always used to play on the left too.

Anyway, as you said, we definitely could do with improving in that area. There's two options we could go with:

Inverted winger

A left footed player on the right. Someone who will want to cut in and either shoot or link up with the players in the middle of the park, whilst having the full back give the width. Mahrez could be an option. Not many out there that I know of that's realistic. If Leicester get CL football, which is looking very likely, then I don't even think Mahrez will be a realistic buy. Yarmelenko, maybe? Or maybe we can get Januzaj, (who I think still has a lot to offer) playing there.

Out and out winger

Sir Alex, more often than not, used to play with at least one winger who always kept the width. I think this is what we lack at the moment. Someone who is willing to hug the touchline, stretch play, and use their pace, power and trickery to get to the byline and whip crosses in. Valencia was a perfect example of this. If we can get someone like how Valencia was a few seasons ago then it'd be a great addition, in my opinion. Again, the question is, who's out there that could do this? Moura, Deulofeu, Bolasie, Mane? I guess there's more options out there, but I'm not too familiar with the other European leagues so I can't really say. I know Felipe Anderson's been mentioned a few times, but I'm not sure what he's like.

Either way, I hope that we have got our eye on a winger come the Summer, possibly two. At the moment, we have Depay, Lingard, Martial and Januzaj who are wingers - the latter two arguably better in other positions.

I mean, if you look at those four players mentioned, they're all very young, with very little experience. Three of them making their début seasons in the EPL. It's complete madness that we've ended up with that, despite all the money we've spent. That's not being disrespectful to the players, because they've done very well considering, but ideally, we need someone who's going to come in and be that special player for us. Hwoever, with us possibly failing to reach a CL spot, it could be difficult to attract that type of player.

DarkXaero

Before injury, I would have loved to have Fekir here. But unfortunately his injury was too serious, and he may not be the same player when he comes back.

eggwithsideburns

Bale would be the dream right winger for me but most likely it will just stay a dream. Imagine having Depay Martial and Sane as our front three and having them all develop together, it could turn into something special.

Trizy

Unrealistic; since we will probably be without Champion League football: Greizman

Attainable: Leroy Sane or perhaps Mahrez.

Anything else and I will be disappointed.
Why? We've endless money, he has a buyout clause and he's an United fan.

Ibi Dreams

I'd take Griezmann and Sane/Mahrez. We have more than enough room for two new attacking players

ottosec

I am assuming we're looking for a left footed right winger, in that case I would like to see us go for Sane.

Mahrez is having a fantastic season, but I am not convinced he's the real deal, could be just a freak season. Also he struggles every game after 60th minute or so, it's no coincidence that he's always the first to be substituted by Ranieri.

Ibi Dreams

I am assuming we're looking for a left footed right winger, in that case I would like to see us go for Sane.

Mahrez is having a fantastic season, but I am not convinced he's the real deal, could be just a freak season. Also he struggles every game after 60th minute or so, it's no coincidence that he's always the first to be substituted by Ranieri.
He probably needs a decent rest, he's worked like hell the whole season for Leicester and there's no chance of him being rotated since he's their best player. He was also really good at the end of last season, I think he is genuinely a quality player

Flying_Heckfish

Makes too much sense. Sure he doesn't play as an inside forward so much these days, but he could play there without issue. He'd be my #1 choice.

Mahrez is good too, not the same calibre as Griezmann though.

Could leave us with this forward line in 4-2-3-1:

------------ Martial --------------
Memphis - Rooney - Griezmann

Personally I'd swap Rooney for Mata but it looks good. Someone has to do the donkey work in Mou's system, here it'd be Rooney. They can all interchange in the attacking phase though, and they all have pace on the breakaway.

Owngoalscorer

Fekir.

We need goals all across the front 3. Our midfielders don't get on the scoresheet often, and I don't see us linked with anyone who would. The goals will need to come from the forward line and 3 finishers will be better than 2.
Would love to get his lad - wanted us to sign him last summer, would have been another one for the infirmary i guess but if he recovers well he's a fabulous player

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well I for one think Mahrez at 27 is just too long in the tooth.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I tend to put a lot of weight on champion league qualification factor. As a result, since we are not in Champion league, I would assume that it would be harder to compete with other clubs who are in that competition for his signature. Perhaps an unrealistic offer could lure him here like we did with Martial, but I rather stay pessimistic with my expectations.

Fer

Makes too much sense. Sure he doesn't play as an inside forward so much these days, but he could play there without issue. He'd be my #1 choice.

Mahrez is good too, not the same calibre as Griezmann though.

Could leave us with this forward line in 4-2-3-1:

------------ Martial --------------
Memphis - Rooney - Griezmann

Personally I'd swap Rooney for Mata but it looks good. Someone has to do the donkey work in Mou's system, here it'd be Rooney. They can all interchange in the attacking phase though, and they all have pace on the breakaway.
I would prefer to play Griezmann behind the striker.

Rooney
Martial - Griezmann - Mahrez
Martial has been playing well as left winger. He can rotate with Rooney as striker when Memphis plays as LW.

For now, I think Rooney is better as striker than No.10, he doesn't have an amazing first touch and he's not as dynamic as Griezmann. Martial, Memphis, Griezmann, Pereira, Mahrez and Januzaj would be more than enough to create a lot of opportunities for Rooney. If we can't sign Mahrez, Sane would be my 2nd choice, he has blistering pace and could end up being a good signing like Martial.

Mainoldo

I'd say sign him up at 25, it's just a shame he isn't that. A darn shame because then I'd be fully behind it. Ah well, not 25 he remains.
:lol: Someone got hold of his birth certificate? Think you might be getting mixed up with Payet. Mahrez is only 24 unless he's had a birthday recently.

Litch

Wingers.....front 3 strikers for me. Maybe we need another centre forward, but I think there's also enough quality in the club if we play the right way.

The White Pele

I would like us to bring in both Deulofeu and Mahrez this summer to give us some depth and variety on the right. Lucas Moura is another name I would throw in

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How is Adama Traoré doing at Aston Villa?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Brahimi would be :drool: The only problem would be that he prefers to play from the left, can he play or does he ever play from the right? @Sly @Arruda
He never plays from the right. Anyway, like said, he has been very poor, but so had the whole team, which is fairly weak and unmotivated by these days. It's hard to gauge what he could do in a proper and strong setup.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Wish Januzaj will get some appearances there from now till the end of the season.

Fer

I think Januzaj could cover the right and left wing, also he is able to play as No.10...

If we sign a right winger for the 1st team.
Would you prefer Mahrez (skills) or Sane (pace)?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I would like us to bring in both Deulofeu and Mahrez this summer to give us some depth and variety on the right. Lucas Moura is another name I would throw in
Moura and Mane for me both would be awesome for us.

Fer

Some questions:
  1. If Mahrez and Sane sign for another team. Who would you sign?
  2. If we play with a front of 3, would you prefer Griezmann or Dybala?
  3. Between Martial, Memphis, Rashford, Januzaj and Lingard... Who do you think would be better as RW for the remaining of the season?

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Some questions:
  3. Between Martial, Memphis, Rashford, Januzaj and Lingard... Who do you think would be better as RW for the remaining of the season?
1. I would look at the possibility of getting Moura. If not available then i would try to go for Deulofeu. If that can't be done then we would have to take a punt on someone like Mane or Felipe Anderson who haven't had their best seasons. Something has to be done though.

2. Dybala, no question imo. He has more to his game than Griezmann, could be one of the best players in the World 2 or 3 years from now.

3. Difficult to say. We only have a small sample of Rashford on the right, but he looked good there in those few minutes. Memphis is not a right winger, you take out his best qualitys by putting him there, same with Martial. Januzaj i like more behind the striker, i think that suits his game more. Lingard is the safest bet, but if Rashford can continue like he did in the last minutes of the game against Watford then he could make it his spot for the rest of the season.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Not a right winger per se - but Mkhitaryan can play everywhere in attack - including the right attacking midfielder position. With the ascent of Varela (who likes to surge up the flank), we might not need a touchline hugger on the outside channel to dribble to the byline and stretch the play - so Mkhitaryan would be a quality option because of his technique, movement, eye for the final pass, workrate and scoring ability. An attack with him on the right and Martial on the left would be extremely fluid and dynamic. Of course, Dortmund are a better club (on the pitch) than United at this moment in time, but things can change very quickly in football - and, Mkhitaryan has good workrate, so he should do well under Van Gaal or Mourinho (if he's appointed). And his contract expires in 2017, so the transfer fee isn't likely to be exorbitant. 14 goals and 14 assists is an exceptional return, and he's been probably the most influential player for Dortmund this season. Plus, he's at a really good age at 27 - his peak performance years, and we need a few players like that to make an instant impact for the next 4+ seasons. Having loads of young players is good in theory but you need a few cornerstones to bear the burden while the youngsters develop. Too much too soon, and they might burn out.

Devil may care

Some questions:
1. Hard to say as we need a left footed wide option and there aren't many
2. Dybala
3. I'd share it between Rashford and Lingard

Spielmacher

1. Riyad Mahrez
  2. Lucas Moura
  3. Leroy Sané
  4. Sofiane Feghouli
  5. Domenico Berardi
  6. Mohamed Salah
  7. Karim Bellarabi
I consider all of them gettable and a good addition to our squad.

Von Mistelroum

I don't think there's any point talking about Dybala or Greizmann as I can't imagine they'd come here to play under LVG with (probably) only EL football on offer :( Mahrez would be a sensible option I think, there's the risk that he's just having an amazing purple patch, but he looks pure class.

Status
Not open for further replies.