g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRedHearted

He's neither dross nor mediocre. He's two footed, a good dribbler, quick, strong, determined, has a strong shot and is a massive twat. He adds something none of the current squad can do in bursting through and scoring goals from the right flank.

He got 11 goals and 6 assists last season for a poor West Ham side (as comparisons, Hazard scored 12 goals and got 4 assists, Mahrez 12 goals 10 assists, and Mane 10 goals 7 assists).

He'd do better than "walking pace" Mata.

I still think Mata underneath two strikers could do really well, but swapping him for Arnautovic would be good for us. Guessing Mou fancies Sanchez as a 10

TheRedHearted

Lukaku on the right with Matial up top and Sanchez on the left?
Would be great but when has Mou ever really given Martial the shot up top? Would rather Martial and Lukaku up top with Sanchez underneath them and two speedy wing backs to deliver into them. Doesn’t seem there’s any options for two speedy wing backs at all

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Obvious solution to try would be Sanchez as our RW, but if Jose doesn't want that for whatever reason, any reason Anthony Martial cannot be developed into a RW? His game might suffer in the short term, but his technique is surely good enough for him to adapt if he's given a sustained run there. He's right-footed too so playing on the right might encourage him to put in more crosses to Lukaku or whoever.

Chairman Steve

I’m wondering with West Ham going mental over their spending and paying out for Felipe Anderson (a predominant RW) that we may be getting Arnautovic. I wouldn’t mind since he can also double up as a backup striker and can play across the forward line too.

Although if we’re seriously in for him then why haven’t we done it now? Because Austria aren’t at the World Cup so what’s stopping that? Unless we’re giving time for West Ham to get in replacements because they know they’ll get priced out of ones if Arnautovic comes to us first?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I’m wondering with West Ham going mental over their spending and paying out for Felipe Anderson (a predominant RW) that we may be getting Arnautovic. I wouldn’t mind since he can also double up as a backup striker and can play across the forward line too.

Although if we’re seriously in for him then why haven’t we done it now? Because Austria aren’t at the World Cup so what’s stopping that? Unless we’re giving time for West Ham to get in replacements because they know they’ll get priced out of ones if Arnautovic comes to us first?
We could be doing what we did for Everton. Let Everton get their business done before we get their main forward.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What is there, 3 weeks left in the window? I don't think we'll sign a right winger at all. Just hopefully if we do keep Martial that he gets a bigger role and we can get more out of him and Rashford, and one of our current group adapts to the right wing. But it's obviously our weakest position. We'll see what we do I guess.

jesperjaap

It's still a season or two too soon for Chong and Greenwood.

I don't think Malcom is quite good enough, and he's at an age where he would get in the way of Chong and Greenwood eventually getting game time.

Similar to Malcom, with Sarr I don't see that he's good enough - he's tricky, but his end product is still very poor. He would also get in the way of Chong and Greenwood.

There are no young options on the market who appear to have top drawer potential. RW is one position where I think it would make the most sense to get in a player which would have an immediate impact in the short term, while being patient to see if Chong and Greenwood can progress enough over the next couple of years or if any other Mbappe or Dembele level young talents appear on the market instead.
Agree with you on CHong, Greenwood.....Greenwood looks some talent though, what about Gomes? It is tricky, as I stated, we have three possibly huge talents there, no guarantees they will break through, but you would think at least one will....but it is a little soon. Also people not really giving Lingard the credit, he was one of our best players last year, even though he isnt a proper winger.
Personally dont think the age of Malcom is an issue regardless of decisions on his talent. Sanchez you would think is short term, he is holding back Martial over one season, may go, also Rashford could come disgruntled. Unless you are talking of someone who is 35 you are looking at 3/4 years from any signing, if they dont break through over that period they probably wont stay.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
What is there, 3 weeks left in the window? I don't think we'll sign a right winger at all. Just hopefully if we do keep Martial that he gets a bigger role and we can get more out of him and Rashford, and one of our current group adapts to the right wing. But it's obviously our weakest position. We'll see what we do I guess.
In the end, we will play Mata there....

Sparky Rhiwabon

Agree with you on CHong, Greenwood.....Greenwood looks some talent though, what about Gomes? It is tricky, as I stated, we have three possibly huge talents there, no guarantees they will break through, but you would think at least one will....but it is a little soon. Also people not really giving Lingard the credit, he was one of our best players last year, even though he isnt a proper winger.
Personally dont think the age of Malcom is an issue regardless of decisions on his talent. Sanchez you would think is short term, he is holding back Martial over one season, may go, also Rashford could come disgruntled. Unless you are talking of someone who is 35 you are looking at 3/4 years from any signing, if they dont break through over that period they probably wont stay.
Robben? :wenger:

marktan

If we wanted Januzaj we'd have brought him back already. He's also not performed better than anyone we've played on the right since Mourinho's been here going by all reports.
He has, he's been good at Sociedad. But it's still too early for him to make the move to a big club again, he needs another 1-2 seasons at Sociedad to grow.

I'm really not sure who we could sign. Mahrez was the obvious one to me but I don't really do any scouting or whatever so I'm hoping Mourinho has someone random but really good on the radar.

luke511

I think we're waiting patiently for a signal to sign Bale, hence the lack of activity.

Roboc7

In the end, we will play Mata there....
I agree think it will be another season of mata/Lingard, every so often rashford or martial will get a chance there.

We are probably waiting to see whether or not Willian is for sale and it will be him or no one. The RW is such an obvious flaw in the team but year after year we repeat the same pattern.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think we're waiting patiently for a signal to sign Bale, hence the lack of activity.
I hope this is not another summer where we spend ages trying to buy an unattainable target and then end up panicking on deadline day and signing Fellaini (or the Jose right wing equivalent- I.e. Willian)

Cliche Guevara

I’m also of the view we’re currently poised awaiting the position on Bale.

It’s likely to be clear by the end of the week and I reckon if Bale’s not a possibility we’ll pull the trigger on a couple of parked deals quite quickly.

Fraud

It looked very obtainable until Zidane and Ronaldo decided to go somewhere else.

But I still believe that there's a small possibility.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It looked very obtainable until Zidane and Ronaldo decided to go somewhere else.

But I still believe that there's a small possibility.
We seem to have been a bit unlucky on that score - Griezmann as well, who seemed to be all set to come to us until they got the transfer ban.

AgentP

I’m also of the view we’re currently poised awaiting the position on Bale.

It’s likely to be clear by the end of the week and I reckon if Bale’s not a possibility we’ll pull the trigger on a couple of parked deals quite quickly.
But who? Can't think of any other decent alternative. Mahrez has gone. Willian seems unlikely.

mad1max954

Starting to think that there are not any known options out there. The fact we have this thread and we only really have 2 reoccurring names says it al: bale and Willian. Both of whom are unattainable/ don’t represent any value.

Maybe we are best off using a makeshift ie mata/ rash / martial or put Sanchez out there for the time being until other candidates present themselves at which point we jump on them?

Someone must be coming through.

WPMUFC

Mata was front and centre in the new kit reveal leak. Get ready for him taking the RW spot. After the latest Times article, i think Bale to MUFC is dead and I don't think we are looking at anyone else. If willian was a real option, we'd here lukaku-like rumours coming out of chelsea. It's dead quiet.

Jose openly stated at the World cup he wanted Perisic for the left. Didn't get him, so we picked up a very good LW'er in a tight amount of time which seems to have caused a cascade of hissy fits in the team. If Martial stops sooking and tries to convert to the right, i'd give him a long run of games to cement the position. If not, then likely mata.

Last edited:

WPMUFC

I’m not thinking right-wing at the moment. My guess is we’re holding off on other positions in case we need to go large on Bale.
According to Hirst in the Times, bale has been promised more game time. I think Bale is dead in the water mate. Why leave when you can get more play time and the biggest name in the team has left?

Cliche Guevara

According to Hirst in the Times, bale has been promised more game time. I think Bale is dead in the water mate. Why leave when you can get more play time and the biggest name in the team has left?
I think we’ll definitely know for sure in the next couple of days and if he’s not happening we’ll quickly tie up a couple of parked deals.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Mata was front and centre in the new kit reveal leak. Get ready for him taking the RW spot. After the latest Times article, i think Bale to MUFC is dead and I don't think we are looking at anyone else. If willian was a real option, we'd here lukaku-like rumours coming out of chelsea. It's dead quiet.

Jose openly stated at the World cup he wanted Perisic for the left. Didn't get him, so we picked up a very good LW'er in a tight amount of time which seems to have caused a cascade of hissy fits in the team. If Martial stops sooking and tries to convert to the right, i'd give him a long run of games to cement the position. If not, then likely mata.
Obviously I’d like Bale, Perisic or Mbappe but if it comes down to paying a shed load for Willian I’d rather just play Mata. We actually looked decent at times when he was playing, half the problem is that Jose keeps tinkering with the team. If Mata played consistently apart from the odd rest to keep him fresh, he’d probably be a lot more consistent.

WPMUFC

Obviously I’d like Bale, Perisic or Mbappe but if it comes down to paying a shed load for Willian I’d rather just play Mata. We actually looked decent at times when he was playing, half the problem is that Jose keeps tinkering with the team. If Mata played consistently apart from the odd rest to keep him fresh, he’d probably be a lot more consistent.
considering the bale news, and Jose's openness regarding missing out on Perisic, it does feel like it was bale or bust. I hope i'm wrong.

I also agree, i'd much rather play mata than buy willian.

Status
Not open for further replies.