g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckooo1978

surely Fekir should be on our radar - more of an attacking midfielder than a winger but a very talented player all the same

plenty of goals and assists last season

GM K

Willian would be the worst signing possible. So inconsistent. Our RW always cuts in and plays narrow and so does the LW. So its obviously a tactical factor. Grizi wouldve been perfect for that. Also dont believe Bale would suit that role as coming narrow to link play isnt his thing. If we change it and play with width I think a realistic target would be Lozano. Absolute grafter and an actual winger unlike Rashford or Mata.
No, Willian won't be the worst possible signing. No matter our individual preferences, we have got to put some faith in the manager or at least let him have the rope to hang himself. As a club, we either let Jose have the exact tools he wants to give us results or fire him. Jose has played well with Willian. He tracked him, studied him, bought him and used him. If he thinks he can be key to his new United team, how will Willian be the worst possible signing? Moreover, Willian is pacy, hardworking, good with set pieces and has a brilliant cross in him. Most importantly for me, he is 29. I am a massive fan of Tahith Chong and I'm desperate to see him step up to the first team and own that right wing in about two seasons from now. The last thing I want is to buy a talented young Lozano or any other talented young option for the right wing. Give me a Willian or a Perisic (he prefers left but is two footed and plays well from the right) and let Chong deputize for the person with the plan to make our young lad own the right wing in a few seasons from now. If Bale is available, sure. By all means, we should get him. But if he is not, a player like Willian cannot be a bad option. Willian has been brilliant and very consistent since he got to Chelsea. The only season where he suffered inconsistency was the last one and we don't really know why. Maybe his strained relationship with Conte has a lot to do with that. People talk about his scoring stats. He is not a great goal scorer but that's more because his play is so much diversified and he commits as much to defending and playing for the team as he does to focusing on attacking and scoring. Not that he misses scoring chances.

MadMike

67 pages but does Mourinho even want a new right winger? Didn't he say he was happy with the attack?
There's absolutely no news regarding a RW so either we're extremely stealthy or indeed we're not looking for one. The latter seems very likely to me

champp1nho

Willian been brilliant for Chelsea always when I've been watching, but throughout the World Cup he was really bad. Not a single good 10 minutes and had way too much playing time. Douglas Costa should've been a starter tbh.. It's a difficult choice, I'd rather take someone else and he's not worth 60m, but hell yeah if the choice is Willian or Mata I'd play Willian every time on the right wing.

WPMUFC

Spanish paper suggesting we bid 60m euros for willian? Or we might offer that ??

Whilst Sport say in their sub-headline that the club have already offered €60m, in this section they state Mourinho’s men are ‘willing to offer some €60m for him’.
:lol::houllier:

LordSpud

I can see Dalot eventually fitting in to RB while pushing Valencia back up to RW. You know, if we don't sign anyone.

WPMUFC

I can see Dalot eventually fitting in to RB while pushing Valencia back up to RW. You know, if we don't sign anyone.
i don't think Valencia would be pushing mata or lingard out of RW. If anything, the hope should be that Dalot is so good that he becomes the first choice RB and Valenica takes on a Carrick-like rotational role.

ROFLUTION

Getting more accustomed to us just developing Lingard / Rashford as the prices are crazy for similar players with less future (Willian, Richarlison)

Nurturing talent will be a necessity in the future in this crazy market where clubs dont need to sell.

WPMUFC

Getting more accustomed to us just developing Lingard / Rashford as the prices are crazy for similar players with less future (Willian, Richarlison)

Nurturing talent will be a necessity in the future in this crazy market where clubs dont need to sell.
I'm happy to play Rashford/Lingard/Mata in RW if we fix LB or CB. We need to fix one f the three positions at least in this window.

I'm still stunned that both martial and the club don't want to try and transition him to a RW. He is so talented and so young, is it possible for him to achieve it. Yet all he does is sook about playing RW (under LVG) and the club have seemingly given up on the idea even with Jose now at the helm.

Some days i like to think what if he could do it, he'd become a massive long term star at the club, but then some days i think we should cut our losses with him if he's that ridged on his position.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm still stunned that both martial and the club don't want to try and transition him to a RW. He is so talented and so young, is it possible for him to achieve it. Yet all he does is sook about playing RW (under LVG) and the club have seemingly given up on the idea even with Jose now at the helm.
I'm more annoyed that Sanchez, who spent years playing on the right earlier in his career, went straight onto the left and pushed Martial, who as far as I remember has never had a good game on the right, over to that side. I don't remember him ever 'sooking' about it, but he just struggles big time.

Sanche7

There's absolutely no news regarding a RW so either we're extremely stealthy or indeed we're not looking for one. The latter seems very likely to me
There's absolutely no news regarding anything :(

WPMUFC

There's absolutely no news regarding anything :(
yes there is. Catalan paper says we are in for willian and a BBC Manchester Radio journo was claiming Willian and Toby are targets.

Not great credibility, but there is some news today/yesterday.

ROFLUTION

I'm happy to play Rashford/Lingard/Mata in RW if we fix LB or CB. We need to fix one f the three positions at least in this window.

Some days i like to think what if he could do it, he'd become a massive long term star at the club, but then some days i think we should cut our losses with him if he's that ridged on his position.
I agree. An even more natural choice would be to play Sanchez there. Still does my head in why Mourinho is not doing this.

JohnnyKills

Would it be worth going for Dembele if Barca sign Willian? He's not popular with Barca fans at all.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Would it be worth going for Dembele if Barca sign Willian? He's not popular with Barca fans at all.
If Barca and Dembele are willing to listen, sure. PSG is stocked, City just bought Mahrez, and Juventus is stocked, only rival might be Bayern, but I don't think they would entertain the prices involved.

Godfather

I wasn't against the idea of singing Willian before the WC. But he was one of their worst performers throughout the tournament. Made absolutely nothing happen. Not sure he would bring a lot to our team.

IrishMcD

Pulisic looked as good as ever last night against Man City, caused them all sorts of problems. Helps that's he is a massive United fan as well. Would love to see him here. The kind of signing we would have made under Fergie, young, hungry and extremely promising.

Thelyonking1

Who would you sign as No.10?
Erikson. I know he’s unattainable but i only put him slightly below de bruyne in terms of quality. He’s exactly what we need up top after a rw. I think he would solve our disjointed attack.

I remember Paul scholes said something about us missing a player who can link the attack all together. An efficient passer of the ball who is also lethal from set pieces. Worth €150 next summer even imo as he would bag us the title once we sort out LB RW & CB

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil may care

Hopefully Barca get Willian, they can afford to waste money on him as he'll just be a squad player there, in fact I wouldn't be suprised if they used him as a RB given his generic skillset.

Danish Wizard

We should look to Federico Chiesa from Fiorentina. Skills, pace, work rate and a player the coaching staff can develop even more.

WPMUFC

Pulisic looked as good as ever last night against Man City, caused them all sorts of problems. Helps that's he is a massive United fan as well. Would love to see him here. The kind of signing we would have made under Fergie, young, hungry and extremely promising.
Does anyone know why pulisic transfer rumours to any club have been so quite this window? No one really rates him or still too young for a big money signing?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Feck it. Dalot can start at RB and we can push Valencia forward.

Honestly, without investing in this position (should have been a priority) this is the most natural solution.

WPMUFC

Honestly, without investing in this position (should have been a priority) this is the most natural solution.
just play Lingard/Mata/Rashford at RW? Why use tony out of position for no reason?

IrishMcD

Don't mean to sound dismissive or mocking but that to me would be the worst thing that could happen. He can't cross to save his life, and his dribbling skills have always been non-existent. He used power and pace to blast past people. Not anymore. He always does the little shuffle as he squares up defender, then passes it backwards. I'm hoping he gets completely phased out of the team this year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What's more blunt than Valencia at RB? Valencia at RW! That would be horrendous.
People are complaining about Valencia's attacking contribution at RB. What's the solution...move him to RW. :D

Kidders

It looks like Willian is leaving Chelsea, so if Jose wants him we should be able to get him, the alternative would be to let him join Barca and we move for Ousmane Dembele.
If we don't want to get involved with Chelsea/Barca I would't say no to taking Zaha back.

Water Melon

I agree. An even more natural choice would be to play Sanchez there. Still does my head in why Mourinho is not doing this.
Absolutely, just makes too much sense. Alexis on the right, Antony on the left, Rom upfront, with Rashford, Lingard and Mata as back ups. In Mou's world though, this all does not add up.

DownRiver

Now I understand why Mourinho downplayed Chong because of his lack of strength. Although Chong basically does what most of our attackers don't in terms of tracking back, I would of thought Mourinho would have given him a chance to integrate in the team. Mata, Lingard and Rashford are just as scrawny. If this was as Barca or Ajax for example, this wouldn't be an issue. Januzaj was actually just as skinny, at least Chong puts himself out there to tackle when needed.

I digress, Mourinho basically has someone else in mind (Bale, Willian etc) and doesn't feel Chong will have the instant impact.

Minimalist

I think it's a shame we don't have a player who plays that position naturally but I do think Mata and Lingard could do a good enough job provided Martial/Sanchez/Rashford offered enough on the other side.

Don't see why Lingard couldn't make that position his own if Mourinho fails to get someone in. As much as his best work might seem to come from playing in the hole behind Lukaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.