g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't really rate Coman. He probably is the ideal right wing option though. For Arsenal.

Champagne Football

I wouldn't say no to Zaha. Reports suggesting Hazard could be off to Madrid - wonder if that will affect Bale's thinking. Could see Chelsea going in for Zaha if they sell Hazard.

sam147

Willian would be the worst signing possible. So inconsistent. Our RW always cuts in and plays narrow and so does the LW. So its obviously a tactical factor. Grizi wouldve been perfect for that. Also dont believe Bale would suit that role as coming narrow to link play isnt his thing. If we change it and play with width I think a realistic target would be Lozano. Absolute grafter and an actual winger unlike Rashford or Mata.

Rossa

I think many who fell in love with United did so because of our style of play. Two great wingers who, although different in their own ways, could contribute with goals, crosses, dribbles, speed and creativity. Now, we don't have wingers. Martial is not a proper winger. Rashford is a striker; Sanchez is more of a hybrid these days; Lingard prefers playing through the middle, as does Mata. Valencia and Young are converted to fullbacks.

I just read that Rosenborg, the dominant team in Norway for the last 20 years or so, have fired their manager (7 out of 9 trophies not good enough). When looking for their next manager/coach, they will demand that he plays Rosenborg's 4-3-3 system to continue their style of play. At first I thought this was a little strange, but then I thought it makes sense. A club should have an identity. For Rosenborg, it's their 4-3-3 style. For United, it used to be great wingers and 4-2-2. Then we signed Moyes and he actually continued with wingers and crosses, but well, we all remember how that turned out. Then we signed a completely different manager with his "philosophy". Unfortunately, I think this messed up United considerably and was too much of a revolution instead of an evolution of a club of great traditions. Now we have Mourinho who is a different manager, but still he is not perpetuating the United identity.

Before anyone points out, I know even Ferguson tried many different tactics and was not a stranger to ditching 4-4-2 whenever the opposition demanded it, but there was an identity to our play that I don't think require a set formation. Arsenal had their style of play with a clear focus on a very solid midfield. I actually think our central midfield was just as strong (Keane-Scholes, Scholes-Carrick), it was just overshadowed by our wing play and attackers. Since Ferguson's last signing, Zaha, we haven't really signed wingers anymore.

We sign attackers and try to shoehorn them into a LW or RW position, and instead of offering width and creativity, we congest the middle and every defender on earth knows that every attacker we have will try to cut inside. We could do that with Dybala or Griezman as well, but I doubt it would make us better. If we are to sign a new attacker, and I genuinely think that is much more important than another CB, we need to look at what kind of player will give our attack identity and balance. We need an attacker or winger who prefers playing from the right. He doesn't have to hug the touchline like Kanchelskis or Giggs, but he needs to prefer to play from that side. Dembele or Pulisic perhaps?

Pavl3n

On one hand, Bale, Willian and to a certain extent Perisic (mainly because he plays mostly on the left) are probably the top RW options for us on the market.
So if none of them is attainable, makes no sense to pay half of what they would cost, just to bring a stop gap solution, which we would be looking to shift away in a year or two.
The only thing that would make sense is, if we get someone who's in his very early 30s on a dirt cheap and give him 2-3 year contract. That's only in case our primary targets are unavailable at this moment.

M4nu4Life

Ante Rebic looks perfect. He would be a great option on the right, and looks like a Mourinho type of player.

The Mad Manc

This is the key area we need to strenghten IMO. With Mou talking about our season-starting front 3 being Sanchez, Martial and Mata, Mata at RW is the one I have serious issue with. Even when all our players are back it is difficult to see who else will play there. We seriously need a signing here.

Options: let's not get led on a wild goose chase for Bale. Either it's possible or it's not. If not, Lozano (if he can play RW) would be my first choice. Looks a cracking player and PSV wouldn't pull our pants down over the price. Alternatives: Rebic, Pulisic, Bailey would all be exciting options

Last edited:

Ban

Ibrahimovic definitely was one. Lukaku, considering his fee, is another IMO.

Agree about your point though, I feel like Woodward has mostly done what managers asked him to do.
Exactly, both were wanted by Jose.

meamth

Chong - done! Sign him up
I have doubts looking at his physique. Not there yet to be at the PL level. Even Januzaj looks better when he first broke into the first team. He needs to grow to his frame and he can have a run on the first team.

At least have a body like Neymar if you want to be skinny.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Chong - done! Sign him up
Chong must be given chances...he can be special
"He is not for today but tomorrow" - The monster that kills the little kids

Just incase anyone seriously thinks Chong is even going to be considered as a rotation option next season, Mourinho confirmed in his presser that won't be the case.

Jon_Tipper1992

If Perisic could play right wing, take him anyday.

It's actually a shame Zaha isn't with us anymore... very talented right winger.

Willian would be great, but no way would I consider using Martial in a swap deal for him.

Mahrez would of been great for us also :(

Fer

Who do you consider a better winger between Malcom, Chiesa, Pulisic and Bailey?

ravi2

If Perisic could play right wing, take him anyday.

It's actually a shame Zaha isn't with us anymore... very talented right winger.

Willian would be great, but no way would I consider using Martial in a swap deal for him.

Mahrez would of been great for us also :(

Either D Costa or Mahrez would have been perfect for our RW but something tells me either Jose and/or Ed cannot seem to let the Bale dream die

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Who do you consider a better winger between Malcom, Chiesa, Pulisic and Bailey?
I think Chiesa would suit mourinho’s style of play more, but I can’t say there’s incredibly much difference between them all. They’re very much all in the same bracket. Especially as they’re playing across different leagues. Bar bailey and pulisic.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd take an experienced player for a season or two so Chong has a clear lane into the first time in the near future.

What a difference it makes to have a player comfortable on the right wing. That cameo just reminded me that football can actually be played on both wings.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I think Chiesa would suit mourinho’s style of play more, but I can’t say there’s incredibly much difference between them all. They’re very much all in the same bracket. Especially as they’re playing across different leagues. Bar bailey and pulisic.
Isn't Chiesa considered more than a talent than the three others?

I've never seen anyone of them play, but people rave about Chiesa a lot.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Isn't Chiesa considered more than a talent than the three others?

I've never seen anyone of them play, but people rave about Chiesa a lot.
Personally, I think so, but I think I’m biased, as I loved watching his dad growing up.

They all put up reasonably similar numbers last season, except Malcom who outscored all of them quite easily. There must be something missing with Malcom though, as no one seems to be going for him.

the_irish123

Given our lack of creativity, it would be nice if we gave a punt at Lucas Paquetá, an exciting prospect who was on Brazil’s reserve list for WC. Is a lefty, who we lack, can play AM, creative RW drifting inside and even CM sometimes. He would cost about £30m, but that is the market these days even for unproven players.

Fer

It seems that Bale is going to stay at Madrid.
IMO our best scenario would be signing Dembele (If Barca sign William) and promote Chong as a cover.

redNATION

It seems that Bale is going to stay at Madrid.
IMO our best scenario would be signing Dembele (If Barca sign William) and promote Chong as a cover.
Mourinho doesnt have the patience for Martial, no way will he be willing to spend the time to develop Dembele. This could well be Jose's last season if he doesnt achieve anything, which is why I suppose we're being linked with established players like Perisic and Willian.

Colombian Mancunian

A player as Bale, even if he only plays 75% of the year, can push us to the title.

Other options:

Mahrez: Already went to City, and is as weak minded as Mky.

Lozano:Good WC, but after Memphis fiasco, can be risky business.

Pulisic: Too young and inconsistent. I don’t know if he can deal with Jose.

Dembele: The most overrated player since Pastore. At Dortmund he only managed 8 goals in all competitions! Barcelona got scammed by paying 120 million euros for that guy.

Perisic: Can he play at right wing? If so he can give us 2-4 good years, while Ching is ready to make RE his own.

Coman: Not good enough for United, but preferible over Mata at RW.

Malcom: I like him, can he cope with PL.

Leon Bailey: See Malcom.

Willian: Inconsistent. Didn’t set the work alight during WC or the last season. His attributes are that he knows the PL, Mou and works hard.

Douglas Costa: Like him a lot. But Juve won’t sell both him and Sandro in one window.

Conclusion:

Plan A: Bale.
Plan B: Malcom, Leon B.
Plan C: Perisic, Willian.
Plan D (due to being hard to get): Douglas C.
Plan E: Pulisic. Dembele.

WPMUFC

according to a BBC manchester radio journo, Willian is still a name on the cards

marktan

Willian is unlikely given that Madrid are interested in Hazard and Courtois, they can't really be selling half their team now.

Most likely is we'll sign some B level player who won't be that good and then end up with Lingard on the right who'll score the ocassional banger and dance but do sweet FA the rest of the time. Or worse yet, Mata.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
At this point in time I would welcome Willian, I don't give a feck if Chelsea fleece us.

Lack of links to FB's is worrying though. We wouldn't necessarily need both flanks, just a LB like Sandro would do and Young could then go over to RB where he won't have to cut back all the fecking time.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Coman linked to Arsenal, would be naive to let him go there. He’s the ideal right wing option.
I wish there was something in those links, but I really doubt them. Ribery and Robben are on their last legs, so Bayern would be crazy to let him go.

Red_Orchestra

What about Florian Thaivin from Marseille, left footed right winger. He had an amazing season last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.