Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROFLUTION

Here's a genius plan, which I'm sure no one has ever thought of:

Take Alexis Sanchez. Then.. Move him.... to the right side!!!

Insane, I know.

Jig1234

I thought it was going to be Sanchez. He played on the right for much of his Barcelona career. Mourinho bought him to play in a position that was being filled by 2 players already.

I think we made a mistake. We should have signed Mahrez instead. He would have slotted in perfectly on the RW. He has tried to get a move from Leicester a few times and has rediscover his form every time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Give Chong a chance. Can play on the left / right, rapid as anything and can carry the ball well.

Probably won't be a starter but he should be a good impact sub for Mata once the game stretches IMO.

Charles Miller

Since Martial has a great potential and is improving recently, we should keep him in the left and sign Alexis Sanchez to play in the right.

joedirt87

Do you seriously think our attack has looked poor because we didn't play with wide front men? Seriously? There are lots of teams over the past few seasons who have done well without attackers who haven't kept the width. Just look at Chelsea last season with Eden Hazard.

Our forward players are fine, by the way. Mata has been effective for us in a lot of games, and if Martial figures out that RW position (a la Pedro and the Mane of last season) he can be deadly.
True that the front players didn’t have to provide width, but they also had Alonso and Moses to bomb down the wings. If United aren’t going to get that from the fullbacks they need it from the front players. I thought in the game against Bournemouth yesterday we saw players not crowding around each other and taking up the same space. Part of that could be the fullbacks that played and part could be that Martial and Lingard played over Sanchez and Mata.

Hitchez

Insane, I know.
Such an obvious thing to do it's amazing we haven't tried it yet.

Failing this then Mahrez is the only one we should be after. I'm amazed no big team is after Mahrez.

Sterling Archer

Insane, I know.
I don’t know why we haven’t tried it. His assist coming in from the right against City wasn’t too shabby. And his Barcelona time certainly showed that he can

Bratt

I see a lot of people mention Douglas Costa here, but isn’t the loan deal being made permanent in the summer?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
The attacking players we have should be good enough to be challenging for all major honors. It's the system that doesn't particularly work for them. There's no point bringing in more square pegs for round holes. If Mourinho is staying, then it's likely that one of Martial or Mata will be leaving this summer. Signing Griezeman or Dybala would do nothing to help our problems.

It's been said before and it will be said again. Sanchez should be playing on the right, with 2 or 3 of Martial, Rashford, Lukaku, Lingard, and Mata playing in the other attacking positions.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Chong is a bright talent but he's not ready. He's only just come back from a serious injury and needs more time to grow into his body. I'd have no problem with giving him some game time in the near future in the hopes that he proves me wrong, but I'm not sure how high he is in the pecking order when it comes to playing in the first team ahead of the likes of Pereira, Gribbin, Gomes, or even the likes of Barlow, Baars, Burkart or Ramazani. He's probably ahead of most, but because of his injuries and the lack of form in a lot of the older players, it wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of Greenwood get a call up before him.

Sea-Cow

Mahrez makes too much sense.

He would be worth it just for the improvement in corners and free-kicks. With our other players we should terrify teams with set pieces. Instead.... its usually awful.

So, please, sign him up. I'm begging.

NotATroll

True that the front players didn’t have to provide width, but they also had Alonso and Moses to bomb down the wings. If United aren’t going to get that from the fullbacks they need it from the front players. I thought in the game against Bournemouth yesterday we saw players not crowding around each other and taking up the same space. Part of that could be the fullbacks that played and part could be that Martial and Lingard played over Sanchez and Mata.
Milner provided that width for Liverpool when they had Coutinho as an inside left winger. Valencia and Young can do it/have done it.

Lingard actually came off the line a lot last night and Martial did it a fair bit too. Sometimes Fellaini went right wing in place of Lingard but sometimes he didn't so we still had 4 men in the centre.

Incidentally, that rotation that we saw with Fellaini/Lingard is something that we saw Pogba and Sanchez did against WBA. It's something that can allow those two to work together without getting in each other's way. It's not new either. Pogba moved out to the left wing against Everton away a lot and if you look up our defeat of Derby County in the FA Cup you can see very clearly Pogba's positioning for Lingard's goal. It's something that can be very beneficial for us as Sanchez can pick up the ball more easily in between the lines/in space coming off the LW than Pogba can from his starting position at CM, which is the strength of rotation/Total Football.

settembrini

Claims Mourinho wants a left footed winger... names Justin Kluivert.

Castles never changes.

ovoxo

Ryan Sessegnon
Leon Bailey
Kluivert
Lemar
Malcom

Are all left footed, I don’t think we’ll go for Mahrez.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Eriksen is a far more talented footballer.
100% not true. Beckham was far more consistent with delivery, passing, goalscoring and set-pieces. That’s why he spent his career winning leagues at United not at Spurs. How you can say Erikaen is a far more talented footballer is utterly baffling. He maybe has a little more grace in his finishing and that’s it.

DeGea

I think we should go for Eriksen. Put in a cheeky bid for him. He can play on the right and centre as well. Has proven himself to be consistent for many years. Scandinavian players tend to have a good temperament too, and we have had a good record of decent players from that region. Mahrez for the left.

deafepl

Are you serious here? Christian Eriksen a far more talented footballer than David Beckham, now I've heard it all.
No, Beckham is far better, can win you game on his own, create a chance out of nothing, long range, crossing and delivery, set pieces, which he is so amazing at it.

Last edited:

deafepl

I'm okay with Gareth Bale if we can get a left-footed right winger under 23 years old to rotate with Bale. Bale on form, he's world class. A young player could learn from Bale. Imagine Sanchez, Bale, Pogba and other midfielders the like of Kross or Verratti, etc on form, that would be devastating.

IrishRedDevil

Willian???

He just walked straight down the tunnel at Wembley after being taken off. He looked furious.

Jose would love him here and strong rumours we tried for him last summer but Chelsea said no after the Matic deal.

Red Stone

I'd agree that Eriksen is on the same level, or at least very close, as a footballer. Aside from his right foot Beckham was nothing special in terms of technical ability, and Eriksen's delivery with either foot has to be up there amongst the best in the league and thus also the world, and he's a very good dribbler as well.

Beckham ran rings around him as an athlete, though. Beckham's work rate was a huge part of why he was as good as he was and Eriksen doesn't come close in that regard.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Willian???

He just walked straight down the tunnel at Wembley after being taken off. He looked furious.

Jose would love him here and strong rumours we tried for him last summer but Chelsea said no after the Matic deal.
He should just bundle him in a car while the team are still on the pitch.

Super Mokh

Willian???

Willian would be a dream signing. A workhorse and technically sound too. Definitely will solve the rw conundrum for sure.

Cheekiey

I watched the Atletico game vs Sociedad the other day and 1 player from Sociedad caught my eye, I didn't know who it was as I don't watch either team regularly. The guy was megging people and blowing away people much like how Mahrez does... Turned out to be Adnan! A player who I thought was finished but was showing real character, fighting for the ball, most time winning the ball. Final score was 3-0 to Sociedad, Adnan got an Assist, Madrid looked deflated and not interested. Anyway that was 1 game I saw, Could any La Liga watchers tell me how his season is going and if its even worth thinking about bringing Adnan back.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Right Winger... Who do we go for?

: Zaha

ps. sorry about the font!

UpWithRivers

Its unlikely due to barca etc but if there is still a possibility, then Griezmann still makes sense. They rejected 50 for Mahrez so what 60/70? And Griezmann is 87?

Sanchez...... Lukaku.......Griezmann

What's not to love

Cheekiey

Its unlikely due to barca etc but if there is still a possibility, then Griezmann still makes sense. They rejected 50 for Mahrez so what 60/70? And Griezmann is 87?

Sanchez...... Lukaku.......Griezmann

What's not to love
the fact we will have zero width

Status
Not open for further replies.