Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
Just swap Martial for Willian and be done with it. We'll have a better season with a good RW who wants to be here and fits Mourinho's tactics, than if we keep a want-away player who Jose will never start
Think Jose will happily start Martial if he shows the right attitude and you know proves he deserves to with his performances. Martial needs to earn the right to play, he's not some superstar worthy of being put on the team sheet because of his name alone.

Litch

Think Jose will happily start Martial if he shows the right attitude and you know proves he deserves to with his performances. Martial needs to earn the right to play, he's not some superstar worthy of being put on the team sheet because of his name alone.
The problem with Jose is he's not very forgiving and has a long memory. If he likes you, he sees past your weaknesses, if you piss him off, he only focuses on them. Can't see anything other than Martial leaving and it's more about when.....bit like Sanchez at the end with Arsenal.

Judas

Open to offers
If Martial stays this summer, which is looking quite likely, who knows what the future holds for him, hard to predict with Jose's reputation. I could still see Martial being a success here, but he'll never be the world superstar he's talked up to be.

red_de_pologne

swapping Martial for Willian will sure leave a sour taste, I'd rather he stayed and fought for a place in the team, RW, ST, there will be many chances to play this season.

Litch

Oh yes he is - he carried Palace last Season on his own and he would be great for us.
Carry Palace is very different than playing here and we know that cause we've seen it before with Will. Yes (before someone says 'but Pogba came back'), he came back after winning league titles and playing in a CL final.

Litch

swapping Martial for Willian will sure leave a sour taste, I'd rather he stayed and fought for a place in the team, RW, ST, there will be many chances to play this season.
Me too but Jose such an unforgiving manager with a long memory and Martial looks like the 'feck you' type of player, can only see this ending one way.

James1986

Anyone got a feeling we might see Dalot on the right wing more than right full back this season?,

He’s got pace, looks like he can take a player on, is very direct and looks like a reasonable crosser of the ball plus can do his defensive job too,

Last edited by a moderator:

Kag

I can see the Willian-Martial thing happening, actually. Probably very divisive between management and board, too.

I wouldn't do it, but in truth I don't think Martial and Mourinho are ever going to work. If he's going to go anyway and we can bring in a guaranteed starter that is better than what we have out right (compared to Mata and Lingard) then it may just make enough sense to sanction. Although I think Martial can be a monster in the right team, but that's another argument altogether.

Sanche7

Pretty cheap considering the alternative seems to be paying even more for Willian.
Don't think Willian is going to cost 60 million pounds. Also if Chelsea buy Zaha and we buy Willian for say 50+add ons, we are getting the player Jose actually wants for about 35 mill

AKDevil

Totally agree with this!
Same. People can talk about Martial’s potential etc but reality is we won’t see it because he doesn’t want to be here and he also plays in a position we are well stocked in and he’s probably third choice. Best use of him is definitely to get Willian who will straight away improve a position we have zero decent options and want to play for us.

JohnnyLaw

Don't think Willian is going to cost 60 million pounds. Also if Chelsea buy Zaha and we buy Willian for say 50+add ons, we are getting the player Jose actually wants for about 35 mill
It was widely reported that Chelsea rejected 55 million+ offer for him from Barcelona so I doubt we'd get him for anything lower than at the very least 60 million+. If they wanted to sell him surely they would have sold him then, especially with us lurking around.

But that might also be the whole point though, maybe Chelsea are waiting for us knowing that we'll , with the clauses we have in place, will be able to fund their deal for Zaha in order to get Willian as you say. They get Zaha without spending a penny net and we get Willian at a (perhaps phony?) discount. Whereas if they'd taken Barcas offer they'd have lost around 20 million net whilst replacing him.

Whilst you could consider it a win-win situation I'd still feel like that's poor business from us though. Chelsea blew the money we paid for Matic on Bakayoko, this time I feel like we'll be on the short end of the stick.

United Pro

It was widely reported that Chelsea rejected 55 million+ offer for him from Barcelona so I doubt we'd get him for anything lower than at the very least 60 million+. If they wanted to sell him surely they would have sold him then, especially with us lurking around.

But that might also be the whole point though, maybe Chelsea are waiting for us knowing that we'll , with the clauses we have in place, will be able to fund their deal for Zaha in order to get Willian as you say. They get Zaha without spending a penny net and we get Willian at a (perhaps phony?) discount. Whereas if they'd taken Barcas offer they'd have lost around 20 million net whilst replacing him.

Whilst you could consider it a win-win situation I'd still feel like that's poor business from us though. Chelsea blew the money we paid for Matic on Bakayoko, this time I feel like we'll be on the short end of the stick.
Chelsea also briefed news that Madrid bid around £65m for him, but Madrid sources quickly denied them. Barcelona based sources also reported that they were unwilling to bid over €50m (about £45m) for him, So, it seems more that Chelsea have been trying to maximise how much they get for Willian all summer by releasing fake news.

Rajma

A lot of noise around potential Willian/Martial swap deal, personally I feel if we’re to sign RW this summer it is going to be the likeliest outcome.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we sign Willian, we'll be looking for an upgrade in the not too distant future. I'm not even in about his age. I don't really rate him.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Injured. Bullet dodged.

Would rather go younger; Pulisic or Guedes for me.

Woody ought to consider alternatives to Willian and just plan for the future (likely one w/o Mourinho).
Mahrez starts today, thought you said he’s injured?! Haven’t been keeping tabs myself.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If we sign Willian, we'll be looking for an upgrade in the not too distant future. I'm not even in about his age. I don't really rate him.
Same. I think he's an ordinary player, people honestly consider him world class? Bizarre.

25 goals, 20 assists in 10,263mins in the Premier League. That's a goal every 411mins and an assist every 513mins. World class numbers right there.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Same. I think he's an ordinary player, people honestly consider him world class? Bizarre.

25 goals, 20 assists in 10,263mins in the Premier League. That's a goal every 411mins and an assist every 513mins. World class numbers right there.
This. Nothing special in the WC too. Why not play fullbacks there if only requirement for a winger is backtracking?

davidmichael

Just do not understand why we don’t forget about Willian as he’s decent to good at best considering the level we want to be at, I’d honestly rather see us go all out for Zaha than Willian as at least Zaha is a goal scoring threat as well and at his age is an investment.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Carry Palace is very different than playing here and we know that cause we've seen it before with Will. Yes (before someone says 'but Pogba came back'), he came back after winning league titles and playing in a CL final.
So what's so different?
when you're a good winger you know how to attack defenders and go at them and if so he would be an even better player with us.

Devil81

United surely wouldn't swap a 22 year old player of the potential of Martial for a 29 year old.

Not having it.

marktan

I would happily take Willian. The question is, why would Chelsea sell?

The answer to OP, for the third summer in a row, seems to be no-one. I hope Woodward enjoys watching Lingard or Mata play there, because I sure as feck won't.

PoTMS

Why didn't we buy Mahrez? Its like this club just make it up as they go along - no forward thinking. Everyone knew our RW was a problem and yet we've done nothing but chase unavailable players like Bale and Willian all summer. You'd think we had backup options but no.

Roboc7

I would happily take Willian. The question is, why would Chelsea sell?

The answer to OP, for the third summer in a row, seems to be no-one. I hope Woodward enjoys watching Lingard or Mata play there, because I sure as feck won't.
Because we will give them a huge fee for a 30 year old. Don’t rule out a straight swap for martial either.

marktan

Why didn't we buy Mahrez? Its like this club just make it up as they go along - no forward thinking. Everyone knew our RW was a problem and yet we've done nothing but chase unavailable players like Bale and Willian all summer. You'd think we had backup options but no.
I'm guessing because he wasn't one of Mourinho's options? I think Mahrez would've been absolutely perfect for us, available for £60m, can dribble, finish, make runs.. and yet we didn't even try for him. It's ridiculous, really. SAF would've loved to sign a player like him.

Member 90887

RW is on the board, Jose was banging about an RW since last summer. we missed on one and this year it looks like it's gonna be the same.

Ed should do something about it. Most of our fanbase is anti-jose, if they weren't, all the pressure would have been on the board to deliver.

Letting Mahrez go to city was dreadful!

Let's see if we'll get someone. I would be happy with a Martial Willian swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.