Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG

Pure fantasy.

It’s quite clear that Dembele is the precedent here. It’s a near identical situation.

£140m plus.

Hopefully part can be performance related.

We need to be decisive before others are.
Totally agree. One could argue he’s better than Dembele. Younger, more mature in his approach. I’d be over the moon if we got him, but he will cost a lot. I believe he is a can’t miss prospect though. Doubt Dortmund will sell him this summer.

In Rainbows

Don't think his price needs to exceed Dembele's. Part of what went into Dortmund's leverage is the fact that Neymar had just been sold so Barca clearly had a lot of money to spend. It's the same logic that goes into other clubs asking a lot more when dealing with English clubs because they know they can get more.

He would still be really expensive, but I can see it being a few million less than Dembele's transfer.

Andersons Dietician

Pure fantasy.

It’s quite clear that Dembele is the precedent here. It’s a near identical situation.

£140m plus.

Wouldn’t say it’s a near identical situation, Dembele is/was a far greater and more proven talent and Dortmund took a seriously cash rich and desperate Barca for everything they could. Don’t think it will be over 100 mil, 70-80 at a push 90 sounds about right.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Again, it’s pure fantasy to think that Dortmund will let him go for anything less than the Dembele fee.

They probably wouldn’t “want to” even at that price. It’s only possible if he throws a hissy fit, which I believe is very possible if we throw everything at making this deal happen.

KingMinger22

Wouldn’t say it’s a near identical situation, Dembele is/was a far greater and more proven talent and Dortmund took a seriously cash rich and desperate Barca for everything they could. Don’t think it will be over 100 mil, 70-80 at a push 90 sounds about right.
1. If Sancho continues his current form through the end of the season, he will be as proven if not more than Dembele who was also only there one season.

2. Again, hilarious to think you could pinch him for under £100m.

He’s a special talent. It’s 2019. Not to mention he is from the country with the wealthiest league on the planet by far.

DSG

1. If Sancho continues his current form through the end of the season, he will be as proven if not more than Dembele who was also only there one season.

He’s a special talent. It’s 2019. Not to mention he is from the country with the wealthiest league on the planet by far.
Absolutely. He’s going get 11-15 goals this season and probably 15+ assists for a Bundesliga team at the top of the table. He’s 18! Before you jump to conclusions, watch a full game, not just highlights. Or several. He will be the most expensive English player ever when he moves.

Another thing, why do Dortmund have to sell? They signed him a year ago. He has 3 years left on his contract.

I’m not trying to say that he isn’t a fit, he is. But you need to be realistic with the cost. Madrid, Barca, Juve, Bayern, all will put in bids....

Fracture90

Dembele had a pretty good season in France as well prior to him joining Dortmund where he continued with his development.

Scholsey2004

If Sancho is available we should sign him, even if it's an exorbitant fee. We could have a world class player for the next fifteen years. And how many world class English players come along? Not very many I'd say.

KingMinger22

If Sancho is available we should sign him, even if it's an exorbitant fee. We could have a world class player for the next fifteen years. And how many world class English players come along? Not very many I'd say.
England have a number of players throughout the youth levels that are the hottest prospects in their positions in Europe.

The talent coming through is remarkable.

The present and future looks very, very bright for England.

KingMinger22

I would be flabbergasted if we didn’t sign Sancho this summer.

I think it would be nothing short of negligence.

Scholsey2004

England have a number of players throughout the youth levels that are the hottest prospects in their positions in Europe.

The talent coming through is remarkable.

The present and future looks very, very bright for England.
There are others that are good but he's the best one. Probably the Rooney of his generation. If we lose out on him to City, Liverpool or Chelsea we'll regret it. If we managed to get joao Felix as well then with rashford, martial and maybe Greenwood we'd have a very strong attack for a decade.

JMack1234

Do you think we'll finally go for Bale?

Let me explain....I know that every year we have the big Bale to United talk but this year Bale's future seems more uncertain than ever. Plus, if we end up appointing Ole I can't imagine he'll have much say in our transfer dealings. Thus Woodward might finally fulfil his wish of signing Bale.

Mylock

Let me explain....I know that every year we have the big Bale to United talk but this year Bale's future seems more uncertain than ever. Plus, if we end up appointing Ole I can't imagine he'll have much say in our transfer dealings. Thus Woodward might finally fulfil his wish of signing Bale.
Bale would be a disaster signing for this current team. We don't need players who are injured all the time, he has reached his peak. He has turned down the chance to join us on numerous occasions.

UpWithRivers

If the experts agree with CAF that he is the next world class player...Rooney/ owen etc then lets just blow the budget 120/140 its worth it. Personally I can never tell with young players. He could be the next Rooney-Mpabe etc or the next Rasford etc - good but not the absolute top or the next cadamarteri, morrison, adu. If we buy him then bargains need to be found in other positions- Alderweild, Rabiot etc

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

He'd likely be another Sanchez: past his peak and joining primarily for the financial incentives.

Dante

Average bang

The so caled 'English Tax' wouldn't apply.

When a PL club pays a little more for an British player, it's because they know that the individual will stay in the country and wave away the idea of going abroad. It's a kind of loyalty over-payment. Sancho doesn't have that.

Walters_19_MuFc

Hope not. It'd be Sanchez all over again.

Andersons Dietician

Let’s remember Dembele was breaking records in his one season at Dortmund and had experience at Rennes under his belt and the fact that he was just plainly a far bigger talent who was in the shadows in terms of world appeal due to Mbappe.
There is no doubt that Sancho looks a very talented player but I’m not convinced that 100 mil players will be the norm at that age, Dembele and Mbappe were exceptions to the rule due to Neymar and let’s not forget Dortmund are a selling club.

Don’t think he’ll go for ove 100mil but maybe we’ll find out someday.

JMack1234

He'd likely be another Sanchez: past his peak and joining primarily for the financial incentives.
Hope not. It'd be Sanchez all over again.
Bale would be a disaster signing for this current team. We don't need players who are injured all the time, he has reached his peak. He has turned down the chance to join us on numerous occasions.
Totally agree with all of these. There was once a time where i'd of driven Bale from Madrid to Manchester but those days are gone. There's no way he'd be able to see out a Premier League season.

He also seems weirdly desperate to stay in Spain despite making no effort to integrate there

Devil81

Gotta go all out for Sancho, no doubt every team in world football will so we've got to try and sign the best.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gotta go all out for Sancho, no doubt every team in world football will so we've got to try and sign the best.
Not only the talent but marketing wise he could be England’s best player of this generation, like Rooney it could be worth loads in advertisement for the club.

In Rainbows

Let’s remember Dembele was breaking records in his one season at Dortmund and had experience at Rennes under his belt and the fact that he was just plainly a far bigger talent who was in the shadows in terms of world appeal due to Mbappe.
There is no doubt that Sancho looks a very talented player but I’m not convinced that 100 mil players will be the norm at that age, Dembele and Mbappe were exceptions to the rule due to Neymar and let’s not forget Dortmund are a selling club.

Don’t think he’ll go for ove 100mil but maybe we’ll find out someday.
Sancho is on track to have as good a season as Dembele did at Dortmund, albeit 1 year younger than Dembele was. Dembele is obviously talented and you can see that by his ambidexterity and technique. However, so is Sancho.

Andersons Dietician

Sancho is on track to have as good a season as Dembele did at Dortmund, albeit 1 year younger than Dembele was. Dembele is obviously talented and you can see that by his ambidexterity and technique. However, so is Sancho.
Yeah no doubt I think he is only 2 assists behind Dembele in the league but 5 behind what Dembele did in the champions league so he can easily surpass the league tally I would think and he is undoubtedly very talented but watching him he just isn’t as good as Dembele was so I just don’t see him going for a similar or as high a fee.

He’s probably the best talent available for that RW so hopefully we do make a move for him but if not wouldn’t mind seeing another year out of him at Dortmund although if he was to come to United he;d probably walk straight in to a starting spot on the right as we just don’t have anyone so he’d get the minutes to keep developing.

Devil may care

I would be flabbergasted if we didn’t sign Sancho this summer.

I think it would be nothing short of negligence.
Prepare for your flabber to be gasted mate, it's not impossible that we buy him but there are numerous obstacles, not the price as some think, but I reckon he seems a pretty smart kid from the interviews I've seen, he's playing with a lot less pressure at Dortmund than he'd have at United and this is his first full season at senior level, he might well see no rush at his age to make the jump. We should be talking to Dortmund and his people for sure, but this might be a deal where all parties agree it works better after one more season where he is.

DSG

I’ve watched between 15-20 full Dortmund matches this season (Sancho). Two seasons ago, I watched 15-20 Dortmund matches (Dembele).

Dembele is all about speed. He would make decisions that would leave you scratching your head. But the speed was electric.

Sancho IMHO, is much more polished. Not as much pace, but able to unlock defenses through clever runs, passes and movement. He is much more mature as a player than Dembele was. Control, technique, 1v1 ability better than Dembele at the same age.

Dembele will likely be sold this summer. Would you rather have Dembele or Sancho? Sancho for me, not close.... and I think that’s why he will cost 120m+

SparkedIntoLife

I’ve watched between 15-20 full Dortmund matches this season (Sancho). Two seasons ago, I watched 15-20 Dortmund matches (Dembele).

Dembele is all about speed. He would make decisions that would leave you scratching your head. But the speed was electric.

Sancho IMHO, is much more polished. Not as much pace, but able to unlock defenses through clever runs, passes and movement. He is much more mature as a player than Dembele was. Control, technique, 1v1 ability better than Dembele at the same age.

Dembele will likely be sold this summer. Would you rather have Dembele or Sancho? Sancho for me, not close.... and I think that’s why he will cost 120m+
Do you really think so? Superb, elite player in there somewhere; just needs to stay professional and keep applying himself. I thought he had turned things around recently and turned into a key player for Barca? I can't see them letting him go if so. They are trying to secure De Ligt, potentially Rabiot and Jovic this Summer. I'd heard that they were taking out a big loan to do so but, if you're correct, perhaps that's why they want to sell Dembele.

I'd take him all day long but, as you say, go for Sancho every time. Think he's the new English superstar and could even be a future Balon d'Or winner. His football intelligence is excellent for his age.

PKK

Supports
DC United
Sancho should be a priority and be on the top of the shopping list.

DSG

Do you really think so? Superb, elite player in there somewhere; just needs to stay professional and keep applying himself. I thought he had turned things around recently and turned into a key player for Barca? I can't see them letting him go if so. They are trying to secure De Ligt, potentially Rabiot and Jovic this Summer. I'd heard that they were taking out a big loan to do so but, if you're correct, perhaps that's why they want to sell Dembele.

I'd take him all day long but, as you say, go for Sancho every time. Think he's the new English superstar and could even be a future Balon d'Or winner. His football intelligence is excellent for his age.
It seems far fetched that Dembele would be sold, but there are serious concerns with Barca about his maturity. When you are too busy playing Fortnite to show up for training... well, I’m sure Messi was NOT pleased.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelon...-hours-late-for-training-sources?platform=amp

He’s 21 now, Sancho is 18. Both young. Admittedly, I haven’t watched as much full Barca games as Dortmund, but Dembele still has the odd decision. Supposedly all is now fine and there are no problems, but Coutinho doesn’t fit as a midfield 3, I think they are going to have to make some choices between the two.

To do this as an 18 year old vs. Bundesliga opponents is quite remarkable:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Dembele won't be sold.

amolbhatia50k

Sancho should be our top priority this summer.

But in case we miss out, who are the other contenders? We need a right winger who can stretch defences but also has the close control to handle tight spaces and best defenders one on one. Any other right sided players in the Sane/Sancho mould.

Malcom looks a bit mediocre. I've heard about Pep being good but not quite as technical/intelligent from what I've read? Hows that Roma right winger - Under? Anyone fit that description?

amolbhatia50k

Pure fantasy.

£140m plus.

We should pay whatever it takes. It's better to overpay for the elite talents than the ones we have in the past.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sancho should be our top priority this summer.

But in case we miss out, who are the other contenders? We need a right winger who can stretch defences but also has the close control to handle tight spaces and best defenders one on one. Any other right sided players in the Sane/Sancho mould.

Malcom looks a bit mediocre. I've heard about Pep being good but not quite as technical/intelligent from what I've read? Hows that Roma right winger - Under? Anyone fit that description?
I would say:
  1. Sancho
  2. Dembele
  3. Nicholas Pepe
As sort of a top 3 that I would be delighted with any of them. Sancho by a mile first because I think he could be an elite level talent but also being English, he'l have that rapport with Rashford and fit in perfectly. And as a club we're capable of forcing one of those 3 to go through. No need to grow the list past them, though there are other good talents like Chiesa, or Douglas Costa as a more established option.

Or the option that I feel like has a chance of happening is replacing Lukaku and pushing Rashford to the right.

amolbhatia50k

I would say:
  1. Sancho
  2. Dembele
  3. Nicholas Pepe
As sort of a top 3 that I would be delighted with any of them. Sancho by a mile first because I think he could be an elite level talent but also being English, he'l have that rapport with Rashford and fit in perfectly. And as a club we're capable of forcing one of those 3 to go through. No need to grow the list past them, though there are other good talents like Chiesa, or Douglas Costa as a more established option.

Or the option that I feel like has a chance of happening is replacing Lukaku and pushing Rashford to the right.
Dembele isn't happening. Despite Barca's spending they're a bit thin in attack with Coutinho seemingly failing. So Dembele is crucial to their plans and has been performing well too.

Is Pepe really that good? How technically strong is he? You say no need to grow the list last three. By that I presume you feel Pepe is going to be among the best widemen in the game?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dembele isn't happening. Despite Barca's spending they're a bit thin in attack with Coutinho seemingly failing. So Dembele is crucial to their plans and has been performing well too.

Is Pepe really that good? How technically strong is he? You say no need to grow the list last three. By that I presume you feel Pepe is going to be among the best widemen in the game?
The little I've seen of him he looks quality but have more so heard really good things. Saying no need to grow the list is me more saying that I'm thinking those 3 would all be great signings (though Sancho is by far the #1 IMO), and that there's no point in going for lesser players like Bergwijn to fill the squad with them never being considered as highly or shown as much as those. No need to make do with someone when at least 1 of those 3 will be attainable IMO and we should do all we can to get them. Dembele I agree will probably stay but who knows, if he becomes available even the slightest bit you go for him.

amolbhatia50k

The little I've seen of him he looks quality but have more so heard really good things. Saying no need to grow the list is me more saying that I'm thinking those 3 would all be great signings (though Sancho is by far the #1 IMO), and that there's no point in going for lesser players like Bergwijn to fill the squad with them never being considered as highly or shown as much as those. No need to make do with someone when at least 1 of those 3 will be attainable IMO and we should do all we can to get them. Dembele I agree will probably stay but who knows, if he becomes available even the slightest bit you go for him.
Fair enough. Haven't seen enough of Pepe but I wasn't convinced by the clips I did see. Doesn't look special in terms of his quality on the ball. Obviously he seems to be explosive and is putting up good numbers.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair enough. Haven't seen enough of Pepe but I wasn't convinced by the clips I did see. Doesn't look special in terms of his quality on the ball. Obviously he seems to be explosive and is putting up good numbers.
From the little i've seen of Pepe, he looks more a Everton/Wolves level of player. We should aim higher and make a concerted effort for Sancho which I think we will.

Status
Not open for further replies.