Rio hits out at Moyes

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
If Moyes wanted these players we would get them. Agents and players think about there bank balance . Di Maria would have easily gone to PSG if the Financial Fair Play was not in place. Whether Moyes would have indentified or wanted Di Maria or Falcao is another thing.
Moyes would have dithered all summer and overpaid for someone we didn't want or need on the last day of the transfer window.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Quite alarming about how much time was spent in training for stopping the opposition, and not making it difficult for the opposition to stop us. A backwards mentality for a club of this size.

Will Singh

I don't blame Moyesey but I blame the club. They should have told him he has to work with the existing staff which was the winning formula and I also think SAF should have been there more to help Moyes into the transaction. The club was neglected before Moyes came in as the team was ageing and we had players fit for championship football let alone the biggest club in the world!

If we had a structure in place then Moyes could have came in and done a job, but what we did was chuck him into the deep end and expected him to swim out with trophies.

But no one in there right mind would say no to the UTD job especially when the greatest manager of all time says you are the one....

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Moyes was clearly out of his depth. The against Bayern even told you that where we parked the bus and Moyes thought we was fantastic, even in his statement when he left, he was talking about how proud he was to reach the quarter-final of the Champions League, that is not a Manchester United manager.

Saying that, it's a bit low and unprofessional for Rio to come out with this, he's always been an unlikable character though.

Seveneric

Of course Moyes doesn't have the draw of LVG, but United would have made sure that "draw" came, the same way they signed players without having CL football- just add more money.
So while it might have been slightly harder to negotiate, the players signed could still easily have been signed under Moyes. What he'd have done with them is a different kettle of fish.

Roboc7

I don't blame Moyesey but I blame the club. They should have told him he has to work with the existing staff which was the winning formula and I also think SAF should have been there more to help Moyes into the transaction. The club was neglected before Moyes came in as the team was ageing and we had players fit for championship football let alone the biggest club in the world!

If we had a structure in place then Moyes could have came in and done a job, but what we did was chuck him into the deep end and expected him to swim out with trophies.

But no one in there right mind would say no to the UTD job especially when the greatest manager of all time says you are the one....
I blame the club for appointing him because it was such a bad decision and although Woodward probably shares some of the blame for the failings in the transfer window Moyes has to take a lot of the blame as well.

He didn’t inherit an ideal scenario or a perfect squad but most managers don’t and he had plenty to work with, he was doomed from day one though because he walked in the door thinking what he did at Everton was good enough to get him the job and all he had to do was repeat that, work hard and it would all be ok. That was never going to be good enough and he never stood a chance because he had the wrong mentality, wrong tactics, couldn’t handle the big names and was lost in the transfer market.

The club paid him off, his tenure was a disaster and I don’t think there is any need to feel sorry for him or make excuses, he wasn’t up to it and Ferdinand wont be the last one to support that.

Getsme

Even to this day got to wonder what the feck was Fergie thinking when he appointed this guy... Good thing Woodward didn't listen to the likes of Gary Neville and other "experts" and had the balls to take the best decision for the club.
Agreed, there was many on here (including me) who were convinced that Moyes was going to be given 3 or 4 season no matter what happened, thankfully Woodward took the decision to move him on and bring in his own man.

GBBQ

I dont doubt that Rio is telling the truth, our performances on the pitch definitely suggested something was wrong but why not wait until your career is over before bashing an active manager?

Same with having a go at Terry, again reasonable in terms of what happened and par for the course with a tell-all biography but you're gonna have to play against him this season.

stevoc

Not having a go just genuinely interested which players do you think Moyes had to work with that were Championship level?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I dont doubt that Rio is telling the truth, our performances on the pitch definitely suggested something was wrong but why not wait until your career is over before bashing an active manager?

Same with having a go at Terry, again reasonable in terms of what happened and par for the course with a tell-all biography but you're gonna have to play against him this season.
Technically it is over, tbf...

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Think of it like this:

Had Moyes stayed, given the cash that has been spent with LVG in charge, do you think Falcao or Di Maria would be playing for us now?

Neither do I.
I don't think they would, no.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I'm sorry but having a go at Rio for this is not right.

It's an autobiography. Ofcourse he's going to say his side of the story. Plus, the Moyes era is probably one of the most intriguing aspects of Rio's time at United. Why the hell would he avoid the subject.

I for one am glad that we are getting another perspective of his reign.

Rather than just reading interviews from Moyes once in a while moaning about "time".

I'm so glad we sacked him.

Minimalist

We all knew this.

I'm sure others (players who've left) will confirm it more so in due time.

Spineless man, Moyes. I can forgive his lack of ability to manage a top team but he really does come across as a complete coward of everything around him.

SirAF

Ageist
I'm sorry but having a go at Rio for this is not right.

It's an autobiography. Ofcourse he's going to say his side of the story. Plus, the Moyes era is probably one of the most intriguing aspects of Rio's time at United. Why the hell would he avoid the subject.

I for one am glad that we are getting another perspective of his reign.

Rather than just reading interviews from Moyes once in a while moaning about "time".

I'm so glad we sacked him.
I agree. Moyes just makes my blood boil - cost us two seasons (Meaning that LvG has to use this one to rebuild rather than to challenge)

Oggmonster

I'm not a massive fan of Ferdinand in social media aspects, he always seems to have to much to say (although in fairness I think he was good during the World Cup for BBC and he did go up in my estimation.)

I do however feel he is allowed to release a book and give his side of the story of what went on. Moyes has given his account in bits and pieces with the Sun saying he needed more time etc and he may feel hard done by but then by saying stuff like that he is shifting some of the blame on to the players such as Ferdinand so why can't they reply? There won't be much positive said about it but then what positives were there from last season? It may be a tad harsh on Moyes but it's hardly career ruining, it seems Rio is saying he isn't good enough to be a Man Utd manager not a manager in general which is hardly anything groundbreaking. It's obvious when you look at the results.

People may say Ferdinand has no right to say this stuff as he was pretty poor last season, which he was. I do feel sorry for some of the players though if what Rio is saying is true, they were clearly just demotivated by it all and probably just hit a wall and gave up early. It isn't a great attitude to have but it happens in a lot of places of work. If you go in to work demotivated then you hardly give 100% all the time, that attitude tends to spread quite quickly across the environment to.

Will Singh

I blame the club for appointing him because it was such a bad decision and although Woodward probably shares some of the blame for the failings in the transfer window Moyes has to take a lot of the blame as well.

He didn’t inherit an ideal scenario or a perfect squad but most managers don’t and he had plenty to work with, he was doomed from day one though because he walked in the door thinking what he did at Everton was good enough to get him the job and all he had to do was repeat that, work hard and it would all be ok. That was never going to be good enough and he never stood a chance because he had the wrong mentality, wrong tactics, couldn’t handle the big names and was lost in the transfer market.

The club paid him off, his tenure was a disaster and I don’t think there is any need to feel sorry for him or make excuses, he wasn’t up to it and Ferdinand wont be the last one to support that.
I think the club put to much trust into SAF for the selection as it's a tradition and UTD wanted to stick to it. This team should have still got us top 4 but because of the tactics we failed badly and I have to say Ed Woodward since his come in has done a good job in sacking Moyes and getting LVG, just a shame about his transfer policy last season which in return has this season seen the price of players we want gone up.

I hope we get back on track and forget about the horrors of last season....

stubie

I now expect Kevin Kilbane to jump on the wagon again and defend Moyes!

Skills

Snitch
I'm glad we got rid of both of them. Moyes was awful at his job but no Rio makes the job a lot easier for LvG.

LoveInTheAsylum

tl;dr - another blame the players in addition to Moyes argument:

I think the quotes as much support the idea of just how pathetic the attitude was of several senior players, as they do about Moyes being out of his depth. A lot of that reads as crying simply because things were different under Fergie. A huge part of management is inspiring people to buy into what you’re selling, which it seems Moyes had no hope of doing (cue the personality jokes). There’s not a single positive thing to Moyes’ name from his time here. But it does seem like his job was made so much harder by players far too comfortable in their position at the club, in terms of what role in the team their current abilities merited & being committed to learning new ways of doing things. The huge wage contracts the players have with the club alone should have demanded a far better level of commitment than most of the team showed.

There’s a linked point here about being able to trust upper management to be proactive in making coaching changes (in terms of players performing well in spite of the coaching. i.e. what if a superhuman effort from the players had carried us to fourth place last year - would we be in a worse position than we are now?) But it feels more and more like the character of the team was overrated under Fergie & that we almost needed to go through that horror show last season, with the associated clearout of senior players (some still need to go).

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Gotta say, that chips story makes the United players look like whiny kids.

Minimalist

Already did yesterday.....Said Moyes would have signed Di Maria, Falcao and many more so there is no difference between his time at the club and now
Woodward probably would have got the players but that's about it. Same tumescent shite on a stick football, no doubt.

Doubt Moyes can even spell philosophy. :p

red_devil83

I don't understand how so many people are so anti-Rio. A player who was arguably the best CB in the world during his prime, gave the best of his career to us and won countless trophies for us vs a man who nearly destroyed the club in 9 months with his incompetence and people are willing to slag Rio off over it? W T F

Moyes deserves no defence from anyone. He should've fallen on his sword if he wanted sympathy or respect. As it is, he gets none and deserves none for not manning up.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I don't understand how so many people are so anti-Rio. A player who was arguably the best CB in the world during his prime, gave the best of his career to us and won countless trophies for us vs a man who nearly destroyed the club in 9 months with his incompetence and people are willing to slag Rio off over it? W T F

Moyes deserves no defence from anyone. He should've fallen on his sword if he wanted sympathy or respect. As it is, he gets none and deserves none for not manning up.
I'd add that I think Rio was more upset over being told he was dropped in front of everyone instead of in private.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Hopefully more comes out. At this rate will Moyes find a job? Maybe Championship might be his level.
After proving he can consistently keep Everton in the top 10, particularly in the early days? I think his level is the PL but no higher than top 6 at best.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I still don't fully understand why Dave played Rio in the first 6 games last season. It's yet another example of Dave giving players game and breaking them down physically and then throwing them on the scrapheap for the next 3 months. His squad rotation 'policy' was awful. Seriously terrible.

Having said all of this, Rio leaving this Summer was the right time for both parties.

Drifter

American
Looking forward to Moyes autobiography telling us about those prima donnas who's routines were disrupted.

SirAF

Ageist
I'd add that I think Rio was more upset over being told he was dropped in front of everyone instead of in private.
This.

Ferguson would always take aside those who would not play and explain it to them in private.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
It did require some degree of bravery to take over from Sir Alex. I'll give him that much.
I'd have followed Sir Alex for £5m or £6M a year. Doubt I would have shown the title winning team videos of Everton and asked them to defend like that though.

Rio has a right to be disgruntled at how things went on and how he felt he was treated personally by Moyes.. He was and still is extremely passionate about the club and I think he just wanted to set things straight. Everyone has been talking about it practically since Moyes first few games in charge, and haven't really stopped since he left. I think it's actually a good thing that some of these rumours can all be finally put to bed. Time to close the Moyes chapter for good. However, some might say Rio is out of order, but it's commonplace nowadays and I think he has a right to say what he thinks in his own autobiography. As long as it's all true, Moyes in particular cannot really complain. To be fair, he has just seemed pretty honest about things, and certainly hasn't sounded as bitter or as vengeful as Sir Alex did in his latest book.

SirAF

Ageist
I'd have followed Sir Alex for £5m or £6M a year. Doubt I would have shown the title winning team videos of Everton and asked them to defend like that though.

Rio has a right to be disgruntled at how things went on and how he felt he was treated personally by Moyes.. He was and still is extremely passionate about the club and I think he just wanted to set things straight. Everyone has been talking about it practically since Moyes first few games in charge, and haven't really stopped since he left. I think it's actually a good thing that some of these rumours can all be finally put to bed. Time to close the Moyes chapter for good. However, some might say Rio is out of order, but it's commonplace nowadays and I think he has a right to say what he thinks in his own autobiography. As long as it's all true, Moyes in particular cannot really complain. To be fair, he has just seemed pretty honest about things, and certainly hasn't sounded as bitter or as vengeful as Sir Alex did in his latest book.
What?