Rio's words on Kane and Lukaku: A Real No. 9

Red4Life_#7

Ferdinand heaped praise on leading Premier League scorer Kane, with the former United centre-back particularly pleased with the 24-year-old's link-up play.

"I think Kane showed today why he's the best striker in the league and one of the most potent in Europe because he's bullied United's centre halves," Ferdinand told BT Sport.

"He totally dominated them physically and brought other people into play. The contrast between him and Lukaku today was so evident it was unbelievable from up here where we watched it.

"The ball going into him, sticking, holding centre halves off and bringing others into the game. That's a real No. 9. That's what you want to see a No. 9 do."

Kane tops the Premier League charts with 21 goals, 10 more than United's Lukaku.

Former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp added: "There's no comparison. He's on a different level to Lukaku."

Source: Goal.com

Lukaku, is sporadic but I try to give him the benefit of the doubt as he is in his first season at the club. Sometimes he scores really good goals, creates for others etc. But majority of the time I'm let down by his holdup play, he is a big big guy but doesn't seem to use his strength often enough.

He is a brickhouse, but can't really shield the ball or he is never on his toes when reacting to a through ball. Lastly, he need to work on winning more headers from De Gea Goal kicks etc.

If he is to be our main number 9 for the next few seasons he needs to improve as currently he is just not good enough overall.

Your thoughts on Rio's, Harry's and my words???

luke511

Kane gets service, Lukaku doesn't.
Absolute myth, Lukaku's movement is piss poor at times, and when he does receives the ball there's always a chance he'll take a bad touch as well, very inefficient player.

Traub

It’ll be extremely hard to find anyone on this site who doesn’t agree with the notion that Kane is a level above Lukaku. It’s why Lukaku cost 75m and Kane would be North of 200m.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The ball sticks to Kane, it bounces off Lukaku. That is the difference.

arthurka

Lukaku always looks uninterested.. Barnes at Burnley liked miles better as a 9 than Lukaku. Lukaku can't play with his back to goal. Kane is miles away in most regards as a CF. But Lukaku really doesnt get half the service that Kane gets..

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The ball sticks to Kane, it bounces off Lukaku. That is the difference.
This but at the same time you cannot help but wonder how the attacking at Spurs is made to give Kane as much opportunities as possible. Lukaku isn't without faults of course but we clearly don't know how to feed. It's a general clusterfeck

peridigm

My gran could bully United's center halves.

Kane is a good player though. Best in the league? I'll reserve that for end of season stats but I'd love him as our striker.

Mickfoley

Lukaku is not only a level below Kane, he's a level below Utd.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
This but at the same time you cannot help but wonder how the attacking at Spurs is made to give Kane as much opportunities as possible. Lukaku isn't without faults of course but we clearly don't know how to feed. It's a general clusterfeck
I agree but at the same time you need to be competent when the ball comes into you, he's completely useless most of the time in this regard. Yes, he had a nice assist for Martial against Burnley and he's done bits and pieces here and there, but watching Kane last night I felt embarrassed for Lukaku.

el3mel

We all know before getting Lukaku that Kane is miles ahead of him. I don't think Lukaku is the biggest of worries though. He definitely should improve his big games performance as we didn't pay 75m for him to not score in them but we have more pressing issues and I'm sure Lukaku still has time in his career to improve.

Kane is on a different level. He's the best striker in the world currently. Very complete striker.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I said it before but people shouldn't judge Lukaku by his appearance, he is the opposite of it. He is a big poacher, he wouldn't have to change his game if he was 20cm shorter and 20kgs lighter.

Canagel

I completely have to agree with Rio. Lukaku goes missing far too often when we need him and what separates World class strikers from good strikers is their ability to create something out of nothing and force the issue. I mentioned in another post that if we wanted a focal point/ presence up top we should've bought Costa instead. At least he will let defenders know their in for a fight and that's what made the players and fans at Chelsea love him .If we want someone who will make runs in behind and stretch defenders then I don't know if Lukaku is that striker either. Lukaku for me is mentally weak. It's all good to score when the team is 3-0, 4-0 up and raise your arms but you have to do it against quality opposition too. I can't fault his effort and his work for the team and I appreciate his willingness to improve but I have serious doubts about whether he can be the man who will spearhead title challenges in the future.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What he's saying is about right. I've given Lukaku the benefit of the doubt but this is true. He hasn't had great service, but he's still not doing enough for the team in the final third, and not enough with his opportunities either.

lsd

The Oracle
I dread to think of the amount of threads using on Lukaku would have been had he missed the chances Kane did last night .

Seriously the amount of sheer hatred if seen on here from United fans for the likes of Lukaku ,Lingard and Fellaini had been shocking .

Anyone who hates their own players that much surely can't cheer on the same club

By that definition they don't think Ronaldo was 'a real No. 9' either, and Rio holds him as the best striker he's ever seen. He has a lot to improve on but Lukaku should not be stuck holding the ball up and dropping deep to involve others. He's best as the last man running the channels and in behind, an area where Kane isn't great.

JPRouve

Scout
I dread to think of the amount of threads using on Lukaku would have been had he missed the chances Kane did last night .

Seriously the amount of sheer hatred of seen on here from United fans for the likes of Lukaku ,Lingard and Fellaini had been shocking .

Anyone who hates their own players that much surely can't cheer on the same club
Hatred? What is wrong with you.

Sterling Archer

This is true..however we get caught up in the wrong debate here. Kane is a better striker than Lukaku. There's no doubt about it . But that's not the reason we as a team can be so listless nor why we lost to Spurs .

manunited1919

One of the differences between Kane and Lukaku is that Kane has a proper midfield supporting him.

Inter Yer Nan

Lukaku is good and I'm show he'll grow into being a United player and be scoring goals for fun soon enough. Kane is the best in the biz though and almost an unfair comparison to any center forward currently in the game. Kane just has composure in every situation it seems and is a complete striker IMO.

JPRouve

Scout
One of the differences between Kane and Lukaku is that Kane has a proper midfield supporting him.
And there are more ways to make Kane useful because his skillset is more complete. Kane can have a bad day in terms of finishing and still be a focal point for Tottenham's attack.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
At least pundits are starting to talk about Lukaku's lack of quality. We don't want another Rooney situation where he can play like garbage every week and never get called out on it.

lsd

The Oracle
Hatred? What is wrong with you.
It's hatred pure hatred and it's been going on for ages you only have to read some posts and you know they are written by people who just can't wait to get something to criticise on players they hate .

You can sense them watching us hovering over the keyboard with half their vitriol already written before the match even starts

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A year or so ago, I didn’t think there was as much between them, but Kane is a different level altogether.

For Lukaku to have a whole 10 less goals in the league this season by January says enough.

diplomat

It's hatred pure hatred and it's been going on for ages you only have to read some posts and you know they are written by people who just can't wait to get something to criticise on players they hate .

You can sense them watching us hovering over the keyboard with half their vitriol already written before the match even starts
Such a daft post, it almost seems as if you are more a fan of Lukaku than Manchester United. No player is bigger than the team and nobody is invulnerable to criticism. The Belgian needs to start working on his flaws or face the consequences.

Kapardin

Nothing wrong with what Rio said. Kane is the type of striker who should be playing for us.

I'd rather we had bought someone like Vardy or Dzeko as a stop-gap for one season considering the market for strikers was so poor in the summer. Then we would be free to upgrade this summer. In contrast, Lukaku's age and price tag is going to give him a lot of immunity.

OK777

The amount of chances he has missed because of this 'service'...

Meanwhile, Kane scores and creates something out of nothing.

Should've signed Kane, but I think he will be going Madrid in the summer.

diplomat

Nothing wrong with what Rio said. Kane is the type of striker who should be playing for us.

I'd rather we had bought someone like Vardy or Dzeko as a stop-gap for one season considering the market for strikers was so poor in the summer. Then we would be free to upgrade this summer. In contrast, Lukaku's age and price tag is going to give him a lot of immunity.
If we offer Spurs £100m + Lukaku and give Kane a £300k p/w contrat, I think all parties involved could be tempted. It's still on but it depends how hard Mourinho and the board would want Harry Kane to play for Manchester United.

Kapardin

If we offer Spurs £100m + Lukaku and give Kane a £300k p/w contrat, I think all parties involved could be tempted. It's still on but it depends how hard Mourinho and the board would want Harry Kane to play for Manchester United.
Problem is its' not so easy. Lukaku is a Raiola client, imagine the fuss Raiola would kick up if we try to bin another of his players. He would take it out on us by encouraging Pogba to move to Spain, most likely.

We should follow Arsenal's exanple. They bought Laca for over 50 mil and now bought Auba when they realized Laca is not enough. So ignore Lukaku's price tag, get in someone like Kane and bench Lukaku. We can afford it.

ZAGREB RED

Kane is on a totally different level to Lukaku, better all round player and goalscorer by a fair bit.

Josep Dowling

Truth is he was never good enough. The problem we had was Zlatan got injured. The market had gone up so much that we had a choice between the only two ‘top’ level strikers available in Lukaku and Morata.

We got messed about by Real Madrid for Morata and ended up with Lukaku. Not that I’m saying Morata was any better but we were unable to get anyone top bracket at the time. He is still young and I hope he improves but when you spend £75m on a striker you expect instant results. Everything that was said about was true. Doesn’t turn up against the big teams and can’t hold the ball up (mad for someone his size).

I think we have the only fan base that seem to accept player costing so much but ‘they need time’. Just complete rubbish.

diplomat

Problem is its' not so easy. Lukaku is a Raiola client, imagine the fuss Raiola would kick up if we try to bin another of his players. He would take it out on us by encouraging Pogba to move to Spain, most likely.

We should follow Arsenal's exanple. They bought Laca for over 50 mil and now bought Auba when they realized Laca is not enough. So ignore Lukaku's price tag, get in someone like Kane and bench Lukaku. We can afford it.
Raiola would be getting another fat cheque of his agent fees so if the deal is right for everyone, I don't see why he would be angry at the club - it's just business for him at the end of the day. And if Pogba is so easily swayed by his agent than maybe the "golden boy" from our youth academy ain't the lord and saviour of Manchester United as many fans like to think.

Greck

I think Mou has an ego interest in proving Lukaku to be worth what he paid. We aren't upgrading him anytime soon. And Spurs won't be taking 100mil plus Lukaku. You can't rip off Levy that easily

diplomat

Truth is he was never good enough. The problem we had was Zlatan got injured. The market had gone up so much that we had a choice between the only two ‘top’ level strikers available in Lukaku and Morata.

We got messed about by Real Madrid for Morata and ended up with Lukaku. Not that I’m saying Morata was any better but we were unable to get anyone top bracket at the time. He is still young and I hope he improves but when you spend £75m on a striker you expect instant results. Everything that was said about was true. Doesn’t turn up against the big teams and can’t hold the ball up (mad for someone his size).

I think we have the only fan base that seem to accept player costing so much but ‘they need time’. Just complete rubbish.
Spot on and it's the sad truth. I write "sad" in the sense that it's another transfer conundrum for the team and possibly a lot of money wasted to no effect or success.

tomaldinho1

Lukaku would get a lot more service if he had half of Kane's movement. Kane's not even that fast, he's just clever and has a great touch meaning he can get away from CBs (especially when they're oafish as Jones and Smalling)