Rival players - who would you choose?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
think of your clubs main rivals. If you could choose 1 player past or present to fit into your present day lineup for your club, who would it be?

For me it would be Alonso, class player that would sit and use the ball really well

Edit: for the dummies, 1 name only no matter how many rivals you think your club has

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ashley Cole was one of the only LBs who consistently did a good job against Ronaldo, think he'd do wonders given our current full back situation.

IFC 1905

Diego Milito from Racing Club.

Awesome player, Imagine both Diego and Gabriel Milito (who did play in my team) together as it happened at Zaragoza

Zlatattack

We could probably do with quite a few, but if I had to choose just one, Viera. He'd make our midfield tick again and was a leader on and off the pitch.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For Feyenoord; Marco van Basten.

For United; Marco van Basten or from a direct rival, Dirk Kuyt :)

JK-27

Present: Aguero, KDB, Salah

Past: Gerrard, Lampard, Henry, Viera, Suarez (as in past Liverpool player), Drogba

MUFC OK

Ashley Cole was one of the only LBs who consistently did a good job against Ronaldo, think he'd do wonders given our current full back situation.
Probably the most sensible answer in terms of what would improve us most.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Souness, probably. Would pick Vieira but Arsenal isn't our main rival.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thierry Henry. A partnership of RVN and Henry:drool:

Josep Dowling

Considering what we need right now:

Salah, Dembele (CM) or Kante, KDB. Hardly any decent LB in the league that stay fit anymore but this needs sorting as well!

From the past:

Drogba or Henry, Makelele, Ashley Cole

Trizy

Present: Salah or KDB.

Past (in my lift time): Alonso, Henry, Modric(pre-Madrid).

lammybam

We need someone to pick the ball up and drive the team forward. Should be Pogba but not happening at the moment so:
Past Gerrard
Present Willian

ghagua

If Everton is considered a rival, I would take Duncan Ferguson.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Peak Yaya Toure, before the birthday cake nonsense. That was the beginning of the end for him. He was some player back then. Could have probably played in any position on the pitch at that time, he could do it all. I wish Pogba would hurry up and be as good as that.

Claude Cat

Supports
Liverpool
Vidic to partner VVD. Although they're both left CBs.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Ooh, this is tough - lots of great players to choose from. Bit of an odd choice - but from our domestic rivals in recent years, I'd probably take Robin van Persie. While we do need midfield reinforcements, a genuinely world class striker with top-notch technique and hold-up play is priceless - and that version of Van Persie would be in contention for the title of best striker in the current game. Reckon a forward line of peak Van Persie (circa 2011/12 - when he won the PFA Players' Player of the Year award and scored 37 goals in all competitions) - flanked by Martial and Sánchez would be scintillating. Alternatively, Fàbregas when he was at his physical peak. Perfect midfielder for Mourinho's counterattacking approach in terms of creating high-percentage scoring opportunities - while also bringing a wee bit of composure in possession. A combo of pre-decline Fàbregas and Pogba ahead of Matić could really light up the league.
Between 2006–07 and 2010–11, Fàbregas created the most chances in the top-division leagues of England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Shearer - he would just smash in 40 goals a season these days as defenders cant boot lumps out him like they used to
Im assuming we class Blackburn as rivals as they were our main competitors in the league 93-95

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
think of your clubs main rivals. If you could choose 1 player past or present to fit into your present day lineup for your club, who would it be?

For me it would be Alonso, class player that would sit and use the ball really well

Edit: for the dummies, 1 name only no matter how many rivals you think your club has
Not a bad shout, the closest thing to prime Carrick out there.

Also Salah for the right wing.

But my vote goes to Alonso.