g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rivaldo, still hasn't retired.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
So where does he stand alongside others of his generation? I'd have him alongside Figo, Del Piero, just behind Zidane, Ronaldo and Baggio.
Well Baggio hit his peak in the early 1990s so I would set him with the likes of Romario and Laudrup. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, it was Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Zidane who stood above the rest. Ronaldo and Rivaldo hitting the more consistent and sustained form over a 2-3 year period, whereas Zidane flitted in and out of phases of sheer quality over a longer timespan.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
RIVALDO WAS A GREAT PLAYER BUT A DIFFICULT PERSONALITY
HE CLASHED WITH LVG BECAUSE HE WAS SHIFTED TO THE WING EVENTHOUGH HE WON BALLON DO'R IN THAT POSITION
TOUGH PERSONALITY ? HE STILL WON PLENTY CLUB AND NATIONLEVEL
NATION
NATION
NATION LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
SORRY ITS THE PHONE
Still one of the best things ever posted.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
RIVALDO WAS A GREAT PLAYER BUT A DIFFICULT PERSONALITY
HE CLASHED WITH LVG BECAUSE HE WAS SHIFTED TO THE WING EVENTHOUGH HE WON BALLON DO'R IN THAT POSITION
TOUGH PERSONALITY ? HE STILL WON PLENTY CLUB AND NATIONLEVEL
NATION
NATION
NATION LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
NATIONAL LEVEL
SORRY ITS THE PHONE
Still cracks me up :lol::lol:

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Top thread. Would read again.

beep

Thought this terrible injury had put him out of the game back in 2002

Yeah. A disgrace. Showed where soccer was gone to, even in 2002. Now, it's 16 years later and Liverpool STILL haven't won the league!! LOL

klsv

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I will never get why adult men will always have an opinion against crying. Just reeks of insecurity to me and the need to hide behind a masculine wall to prove their manliness.
I understand the social stigma about men crying etc, but why would anyone cry because of a national anthem? I could never understand patriotism to that level!

crossy1686

career ending
Rivaldo: Crying during Brazil anthem at World Cup 'a sign of weakness'

http://global.espn.com/football/bra...brazil-anthem-at-world-cup-a-sign-of-weakness

I will never get why adult men will always have an opinion against crying. Just reeks of insecurity to me and the need to hide behind a masculine wall to prove their manliness.
Although I agree that people who say 'men shouldn't cry' are emotional cripples who struggle with their own masculinity, there's something in this.

Rio was in floods before the Brazil game in the 2002 World Cup and ultimately went on to play quite poorly during the game. He wrote an open letter to a 16 year old version of himself in the paper (on here somewhere, definitely worth a read), he goes on to say that he vowed to himself after that game he would never let that happen again. He said that he allowed himself to become emotional due to the occasion, which meant his focus went and he started making mistakes. Ultimately, England lost that game and went out despite going 1-0 up.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Jokes about adults crying over football aside, it can't be the best preparation for a game, to get so emotional that you are in tears.

When the camera pans down during the anthems, I've always preferred to see players so focused that they look like a psychopath, rather than acting like pisshead at a New Years Eve party when Wonderwall is played. There's a respectful middle ground of course.

Rivaldo is a tosspot though.

SteveW

There's nothing wrong with crying.

But doing it before a game does show weakness. The opposition players will see a player who is emotional and feel they can exploit this. Surely this is obvious.
so he's completely right

Micky Targaryen

I understand the social stigma about men crying etc, but why would anyone cry because of a national anthem? I could never understand patriotism to that level!
Yeah, I personally will not cry during my national anthem, but I certainly will not question another's patriotism whether they cry or not. I missed the Brazil vs Switzerland last night. Just how much tears are we talking about here? A bit of tearing or bawling their eyes out?

Abizzz

Surely men crying and men crying because they are about to do their job are 2 different things. I can understand/sympathise with men crying because they've had horrible experiences, or very joyous ones...

But crying at the start of your shift? You'll always get jokes about your skirt for that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Rivaldo: Crying during Brazil anthem at World Cup 'a sign of weakness'

http://global.espn.com/football/bra...brazil-anthem-at-world-cup-a-sign-of-weakness

It’s more about the need to be on an even emotional keel ahead of a big game as opposed to, for instance, the braveheart passion play we saw from Brazil in the 2014 semi.

goober88

Do you actually watch that match? Those players lost their head. But, yeah, grown men shouldn't cry. Or anyone, for that matter. It's not about proving manliness, it's about actually being manly. People need to be tough in tough situations; becoming a massive, blubbering vagina helps no-one.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
A mod needs to do something here.

We can't have a wonderful thread like this, that brought joy to so many, be sullied by the clusterfeck of a debate this is heading towards.

Micky Targaryen

Do you actually watch that match? Those players lost their head. But, yeah, grown men shouldn't cry. Or anyone, for that matter. It's not about proving manliness, it's about actually being manly. People need to be tough in tough situations; becoming a massive, blubbering vagina helps no-one.
No, I did not watch the match. And I don't think that their crying and the performance on the pitch are correlated at all. And it all depends on circumstance. If a player trips and falls on his ass and starts crying then yeah by all means call him a sissy. But I personally don't think crying during the national anthem warrants being mocked as being girly. The players are probably swayed by the fact that they worked their butts off to be where they are now, representing their country on the biggest footballing stage. Who knows? It all depends on situation. I know I'm definitely not in a place to judge.

But your sweeping statement just proves my exact point. You don't need to call someone a "massive blubbering vagina" to feel manly about yourself.

goober88

No, I did not watch the match. And I don't think that their crying and the performance on the pitch are correlated at all. And it all depends on circumstance. If a player trips and falls on his ass and starts crying then yeah by all means call him a sissy. But I personally don't think crying during the national anthem warrants being mocked as being girly. The players are probably swayed by the fact that they worked their butts off to be where they are now, representing their country on the biggest footballing stage. Who knows? It all depends on situation. I know I'm definitely not in a place to judge
Having the right emotional mindset is important going into a game. Being overwhelmed by pressure or not being focussed isn't good when you have to compete. It has nothing to do with the 'show your feminine side' stuff that you've wedged in here.

But your sweeping statement just proves my exact point. You don't need to call someone a "massive blubbering vagina" to feel manly about yourself.
I never said anything about feeling. I talked about being in control and being useful.

Web of Bissaka

Brazil can't live in past at World Cup, only first place matters - Rivaldo

While it was Ronaldo's personal redemption story that melted hearts, those close to the Brazil set-up will tell you that Rivaldo was the driving force in the dressing room in 2002, cajoling his team-mates and urging them on all tournament long. "All he talked about was wanting to win the World Cup," Roque Junior, one of his teammates that year, told me recently. Rivaldo was usually painted as the silent, stoical type during his career, but there was steel lying beneath the surface.

"It's a bad feeling, losing a World Cup," he says, reflecting on 1998. "We got to the final and it's so sad returning home without the trophy. Brazilian people don't forgive. In Brazil, you know that only first place counts; in other countries, you might celebrate coming second, third or fourth, but not in Brazil.

"So in 2002, we always talked about that before games and in training sessions: 'We have to win, for our families and for the Brazilian people.' In every game, we were determined -- not just me, but Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Ronaldo. We had gone through a lot and didn't want to suffer again."

---

(The 7-1)
The parallels between that year and this are obvious. Six members of Luiz Felipe Scolari's 2014 squad are present in Russia, and while the Selecao's progress over the last two years has encouraged players and fans alike to start dreaming of a much-desired sixth World Cup title, memories of the 7-1 -- the "little ghost," as Tite calls it -- have yet to be fully dispelled. They may never be.

Rivaldo, though, isn't one to wallow in the doom and gloom of it all. Like in 2002, he is keen for Brazil to move on -- and to re-establish the national team as a unifying source of pride for a country beset by economic troubles and bitter political factionalism.

"What happened against Germany was an accident," he continues. "The way I see it, you could play that game 10 or 15 times and not get that result again. Many of those in the squad now didn't play in that match, and in football you cannot live in the past. I think that defeat has already been overcome. We have to think about what lies ahead.

---

(The WC)
"For Brazil, the World Cup really starts in the knockout rounds," says Rivaldo with a knowing smile. "Getting past the group stage is an obligation. It's after that point that you go to sleep thinking about the game -- imagining winning, but also knowing you could lose. You think, 'Tomorrow I might be packing my suitcase and heading back to Brazil.'

"That's when players have to be strong and show personality. You can't be worried; you need sangue frio [cold blood] to play, because if you lose concentration, you're going home. One moment of weakness, even for a national team with such history, and you're out. So you have to be really careful in those sudden-death games."

Ruthless, too, which is why Brazil are putting such great stock in their best player reaching peak fitness in the latter stages of the tournament. Neymar returned with a bang in the pretournament friendlies, scoring mesmeric goals against Croatia and Austria, and showing only the slightest hint of rustiness after his three-month lay-off following surgery on a metatarsal injury.

"He'll have to get up to speed, but those group matches will help him catch up with the rhythm of the game," says Rivaldo of the 26-year-old. "I think we'll see the real Neymar after that. That's when he has to show why he's the No. 10, show that he's the man. It's in the knockout games that you discover who the great players really are. I think Neymar will raring to go at that point."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...at-world-cup-only-first-place-matters-rivaldo