Riyad Mahrez | Signed new contract at Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
40m euros :lol: Leicester would be silly to sell at that price. How long is he contracted for?

MartialsBeard

Im sorry but if their summer plans come off they will be up there challenging no doubt about it.

Cech
Bellerin-Mustafi-Koscielny-Monreal
Xhaka
Ramsey-Ozil
Mahrez-Lacazette-Alexis

That is a technical, exciting, fast team with a lethal finisher, extremely strong defence and pace and skill on the wings, stronger than City in my opinion.

Red Stone

They're still Arsenal. Even when they finish above City, Chelsea, Spurs, United and Liverpool they still find a way to finish below Leicester.

Good team to use on FIFA, though.

SirAF

Ageist
Im sorry but if their summer plans come off they will be up there challenging no doubt about it.

Cech
Xhaka
Ramsey-Ozil
Mahrez-Lacazette-Alexis

That is a technical, exciting, fast team with a lethal finisher, extremely strong defence and pace and skill on the wings, stronger than City in my opinion.
Can't see them finishing higher than 4th or 3rd. People say this about Arsenal every year at the start of the season.

MartialsBeard

Can't see them finishing higher than 4th or 3rd. People say this about Arsenal every year at the start of the season.
They did challenge last year and were top for a chunk, ending up second, they have improved their squad and will continue to until deadline day, they will certainly challenge again.

MounchesterUtd

Calling it now. Mahrez to sign a new four year contract, proceeds to have a 07-08 Ronaldo-type season, sold to Barca/RM/PSG for 100m Euros next year.

MounchesterUtd

:lol: now you jinxed it, will surely join Arsenal on a 4 year contract.
If he joins Arsenal, he's doing a Van Persie within two years :drool:

Lol. Mahrez for 100 million Euros? :lol:
If he's on a new long term contract, Leicester will be daft to sell him for the numbers quoted here (40m? LMFAO)

Fact of the matter is, he was the best player of the year in the second best league in the world. He is worth 100m in a world where Higuain is the 4th most expensive player of all time.

NK86

If he's on a new long term contract, Leicester will be daft to sell him for the numbers quoted here (40m? LMFAO)

Fact of the matter is, he was the best player of the year in the second best league in the world. He is worth 100m in a world where Higuain is the 4th most expensive player of all time.
Higuain was the highest goal scorer and scored 36 goals last season. Also, he has been a renowned striker for a lot longer. Mahrez is a good player but people are having a laugh saying that he will go for 100 million Euros. He is not even that big a player or a big brand face. Players like Sanchez went for less than half that each time of his transfer and Sanchez was brilliant for Udinese.

I know there is a lot of inflation but Mahrez is not going to become the second most expensive player as I don't see him having a Ronaldo 07-08 season where he scores 40+ goals.

Also, this is not the 'second best league'. Leicester City just won the frickin league last season. Don't think they would even get a sniff if they were in any of the other top 3 leagues.

MounchesterUtd

Higuain was the highest goal scorer and scored 36 goals last season. Also, he has been a renowned striker for a lot longer. Mahrez is a good player but people are having a laugh saying that he will go for 100 million Euros. He is not even that big a player or a big brand face. Players like Sanchez went for less than half that each time of his transfer and Sanchez was brilliant for Udinese.

I know there is a lot of inflation but Mahrez is not going to become the second most expensive player as I don't see him having a Ronaldo 07-08 season where he scores 40+ goals.
Higuain's brand is what exactly? Choking? :lol: Suarez literally took a bite at someone and was rewarded by becoming the then 5th most expensive player ever. Bale wasn't that known outside of PL audiences before he moved to RM. Football players aren't THAT big yet, CR7 and Beckham are exceptions. You're seriously overestimating the marketing side of the game, you won't get signed just because you're a Spice Boy.

Again, the point is if he has a Ronaldo 07-08 season, he'll have had an ALL TIME GREAT season (this one) plus another great year (last year) under his belt. Couple that with him still being young, and no doubt about it, he's a 100m player in this market.

Comparing Udinese Sanchez to Mahrez last year, you could've at least said Dybala last year for Juve :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Good player but no room for him in a squad that's already struggling to get players in. Also I'm not sure he can make the step up to a big club, very different pressure pulling on a Leicester shirt than Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea.
I could have sworn he survived the pressure of a title race... nah I must be mistaken. Something about that Arsenal crest eh, all that pressure.

NK86

Higuain's brand is what exactly? Choking? :lol: Suarez literally took a bite at someone and was rewarded by becoming the then 5th most expensive player ever. Bale wasn't that known outside of PL audiences before he moved to RM. Football players aren't THAT big yet, CR7 and Beckham are exceptions. You're seriously overestimating the marketing side of the game, you won't get signed just because you're a Spice Boy.

Again, the point is if he has a Ronaldo 07-08 season, he'll have had an ALL TIME GREAT season (this one) plus another great year (last year) under his belt. Couple that with him still being young, and no doubt about it, he's a 100m player in this market.

Comparing Udinese Sanchez to Mahrez last year, you could've at least said Dybala last year for Juve :lol:
I was comparing the individual standards reached. Udinese weren't half bad and we will find out how good Leicester are this season when all the big teams don't collectively fall apart. As for players going for big fees, apart from Bale, which other player you have seen go for such a big fee without having a brand or marketing potential? Suarez did bite but he was a proven international and had perhaps the best individual season since Ronaldo circa 2007-08.

Anyway, I feel it's moot since I don't see him having anywhere near that level of season as you are talking about.

MounchesterUtd

I was comparing the individual standards reached. Udinese weren't half bad and we will find out how good Leicester are this season when all the big teams don't collectively fall apart. As for players going for big fees, apart from Bale, which other player you have seen go for such a big fee without having a brand or marketing potential? Suarez did bite but he was a proven international and had perhaps the best individual season since Ronaldo circa 2007-08.

Anyway, I feel it's moot since I don't see him having anywhere near that level of season as you are talking about.
Yes, I knew you were referring to their individual performances. It's still a disservice to compare his last season to Udinese Sanchez if you ask me. Title aside, huge performances in practically all their big games until he ran out of gas towards the end of the year, and he was their main creative hub in the final third no matter if he was having an on or off day. I also wouldn't use the disappointing season of the so-called big clubs as an excuse since, as they say, you can only fight what's in front of you. Credit Leicester for having the ball to withstand pressure in spite of the fact that none of them have ever been in that situation.

As for players going for big fees, apart from Bale, which other player you have seen go for such a big fee without having a brand or marketing potential?
Just off the top of my mind, Di Maria (to United, then PSG), Luiz and De Bruyne. Going a few more years back, Torres and Buffon.

Fair enough, but stranger things have happened. Like Leicester winning the league :cool:

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Ranieri was asked in his press conference, no one has contacted the club regarding a transfer for Mahrez, Wenger's pet french journo's at it again to get Arsenal fans off his back

The red panther

princess transfer emo
They did challenge last year and were top for a chunk, ending up second, they have improved their squad and will continue to until deadline day, they will certainly challenge again.
Arsenak challenged and Leicester won the titel because it was the weakest competition in years. We, city and chelsea all underperformed and it gave the weaker teams like spurs, arsenal and leicester the opportunity to thrive.

This wont be the case this season. We have mourinho and 4 top signings including Pogba and Zlatan. City have Guardiola and a bunch of new signings including Sane, Jesus, Nolito, Gundogan, Chelsea have Conte and added Kante. This year the usuzl top clubs will be up there and much more than 81 points will be required to be champions. In the Fergie days it usually took 89 or more, Arsenal last year would have ended 3th or 4th then which is where they will finish this year.

And no way Wenger will add and Mustafi and Mahrez and Lacazette. That would be 120 million pounds or more on top of the money they zlready spend on Xhaka. No way those penny pinchers will do that. Not unless they are offloading a big player.

NK86

Yes, I knew you were referring to their individual performances. It's still a disservice to compare his last season to Udinese Sanchez if you ask me. Title aside, huge performances in practically all their big games until he ran out of gas towards the end of the year, and he was their main creative hub in the final third no matter if he was having an on or off day. I also wouldn't use the disappointing season of the so-called big clubs as an excuse since, as they say, you can only fight what's in front of you. Credit Leicester for having the ball to withstand pressure in spite of the fact that none of them have ever been in that situation.

Just off the top of my mind, Di Maria (to United, then PSG), Luiz and De Bruyne. Going a few more years back, Torres and Buffon.

Fair enough, but stranger things have happened. Like Leicester winning the league :cool:
I am not saying he cannot go for big fees like 60-70 mil.. That is still nowhere close to 100 mil which you mentioned. However we shall see. I think he will have a good season and ultimately move clubs sub-50 mil because Leicester won't be anywhere near the top 4 and their players will move to bigger and better things at decent prices like usually happens.

DarkXaero

Cech
Xhaka
Ramsey-Ozil
Mahrez-Lacazette-Alexis

No way that Wenger will sign four starters in one window.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Ranieri was asked in his press conference, no one has contacted the club regarding a transfer for Mahrez, Wenger's pet french journo's at it again to get Arsenal fans off his back
That makes less than zero sense. If his 'pet journos' are linking us with all these players and we sign none of them the fans are going to be even more angry than they would have been if we weren't linked with them.

Litch

I could have sworn he survived the pressure of a title race... nah I must be mistaken. Something about that Arsenal crest eh, all that pressure.
So there was the same pressure on Leicester in the run in as there was on Spurs and Arsenal? Are you being intentionally stupid?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
:lol: No idea mate. If anything that will make us more frustrated when nothing eventuates.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah and I'm sure when he's still here in September the stories will come of us demanding Pogba money
Exactly. The media are not going to help Wenger's cause by continuously linking us with Mahrez, especially when they are reporting that he wants to leave and come go Arsenal (not saying this is true) - this too will the fans up further when we don't sign him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Conflicting reports. Sky saying he has accepted that he will not be sold this season. Nothing on whether he will sign the new contract offer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Maybe Arsenal are hoping to lower the asking price by unsettling the player before any formal communications with Leicester?
Pretty cnutish way of going about it don't you think. This late in the window.

GBBQ

He realised this will be a tough season
Yep, an open day loss to Hull would definitely have been jarring. Can't blame the guy, huge part of Leicester doing well last season but its most likely a flash in the pan, especially with Kante gone.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Leicester should dig in their heels and ask for £55m. Enough of Wenger trying to lowball for their targets.

Michael T

I guess we've spent most of what we're allowed this season already as far as the Glazer's are concerned, but Riyad Mahrez would make an excellent improvement down the right wing for us - throw in Jose Fonte and we would be lethal and pretty much Champions League ready a season early, with 12 months to gel into perfection! :drool::devil:

Last edited:

He isn't nearly that good. Higuain is better. He has literally had one good season in a nine year professional career.

MounchesterUtd

He isn't nearly that good. Higuain is better. He has literally had one good season in a nine year professional career.
He is heading into the prime of his career, healthy, a big game player and still has plenty of room to grow. Higuain has had two WC seasons in his entire career and is at an age where CFs usually start to decline.

He is heading into the prime of his career, healthy, a big game player and still has plenty of room to grow. Higuain has had two WC seasons in his entire career and is at an age where CFs usually start to decline.
I'm not saying Higuain is worth big money, just that Mahrez isn't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.