Riyad Mahrez | Signed new contract at Leicester City

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
@GFN_France
Manchester United have contacted Riyad Mahrez about a possible move, according to France Football.

Mahrez, the Paris-MU game
Taking advantage of his amazing start to the season with Leicester City, Riyad Mahrez is now courted by European heavyweights, starting with PSG and Manchester United.

Riyad Mahrez he will spend the winter in Leicester City? At the rate the performance of the talented left-handed, the issue may take a little thick in the coming weeks, especially during the next transfer window. Snubbed in France there is still some time of that, the native of Sarcelles has made a name in England where he almost does not pass a day in the Premier League when the former player of HAC is not decisive alongside of his friend Jamie Vardy.

He arrived in Leicester in 2014 for € 400,000
The attacking midfielder has changed size, it became a frantic scorer and passer.Double director at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, it now rises to seven goals in ten matches, and eight in total on the season with the Foxes in all competitions.Altruistic as it is at the podium of the best smugglers Premier League with five offerings. Disappointed by Di Maria, last season, Manchester United, with virtually unlimited resources, is interested and has already approached the Algerian international. The player's profile is very appreciated by the Devils leaders but it is equally important for PSG. The capital club is very attentive to Fennec's performance twenty-four years, and has recently made inquiries. Clairvoyant, Leicester leaders Riyad Mahrez extended in June 2019. Arrived in the winter 2014 for € 400,000, it will now add a few zeros when to expect the transaction recruit one of the sensations of the Premier League.

http://www.francefootball.fr/news/Mahrez-le-match-paris-m-u/604098

Last edited:

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
It was only a matter of time before the links started.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Wonder how many Fantasy Football related posts we will get in this thread...

Definitely a talent though, has been one of the standout performers this season. Wouldn't want to think how much a potential fee would be

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Vardy and Mahrez are playing in a system which suits their abilities (counter attacking football). I don't think they'd be suitable for United's possession-based football. Generally playing behind the ball.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
What is his best position?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Would've been a very good Fergie signing. Under LVG not so much. Hope for his own sake he stays at Leicester until the summer at least.

Devil may care

Altruistic as it is at the podium of the best smugglers Premier League with five offerings
What a sentence!

Mahrez, Mane, Felipe Anderson, none of them really excite me so I'll just wait and see. As far as Mahrez playing in our system, he seems technically good in tight spaces from what I've seen, not sure I see him struggling to fit in.

m1y2

Vardy and Mahrez are playing in a system which suits their abilities (counter attacking football). I don't think they'd be suitable for United's possession-based football. Generally playing behind the ball.
spot on but he could be a good quite cheap january addition to the team and after LVG's sacked and Rooney sold we would have solid base to build on...

YouOnlyLiveTwice

At least buying him would secure Leicester not taking one of our top 4 spots! :nervous:

Top 3 player in the PL in this form. I think he would be an upgrade on Mata, takes thing more in his own hands, dribbling and pace is also much better.

Sam

Hasn't he been a sub for quite a few of Leicester's recent games?

Devil81

Personally think we need the finished product, rather than an inexperienced player. We've already got Depay struggling to make the step up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he was being eased back from injury.
There was no injury, he just dipped off a little. It was only for a week or two, and he's turned it back up again since, though.

Still, if Leicester continue this form and style of play, he's at the perfect place for himself. He's probably good enough to be an option for a Europa league competing side - say, Spurs, 'Pool, etc... But there's not really much point for either side to make the move.

At yet, at least.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
It's kind of ridiculous that both fecking vardy and mahrez would walk into this United team.

saivet

I've always seen him playing from the right.
Can't remember what game it was but remember in the first half he was on the the right. They moved him central at HT and he made a big impact on the game. Maybe a bit like Mane in terms of versatility

Jev

Very promising player but I'd prefer Mane. I feel pretty confident that the latter can cut it at the highest level, that's still up in the air with Mahrez for me. I see a bit of Adel Taarabt in him.

Dion

More an issue that he's an average player on a hot streak.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
No they wouldn't, because they wouldn't have the system here built round them.

It's nothing to do with systems, if Vardy and Mahrez became avaliable to us tommorow they'd go right into our team.

Dion

It's nothing to do with systems, if Vardy and Mahrez became avaliable to us tommorow they'd go right into our team.
Because they're both on hot streaks. Neither are anywhere near good enough.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
We should sign Ben Arfa too.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Theres a fine balance between a counterattacking team and a possesion based team. Whenever we lose possesion we must be able to counter-attack.

Football isnt how it used to be & teams know how to play against barcelona or whoever has the possesion panties on.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Mahrez has looked quality so far this season, but the system suits him perfectly. Also, signing a player on the back of a few months of good form is rarely a good idea.

RedRover

Mahrez has looked quality so far this season, but the system suits him perfectly. Also, signing a player on the back of a few months of good form is rarely a good idea.
He was very good last year and the season before, albeit in the championship.

Looks a decent player - a class above Leicester. Whether he's good enough at the top level who knows but seems there's a few of the big clubs watching him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He was very good last year and the season before, albeit in the championship.

Looks a decent player - a class above Leicester. Whether he's good enough at the top level who knows but seems there's a few of the big clubs watching him.
Yeah but as you said - last year Leicester barely avoided relegation and the year before was the Championship.

I agree he looks like he can definitely do better than Leicester, but unless he can maintain this sort of form for the rest of the season then I am not really convinced that we should be considering him.

RedRover

Yeah but as you said - last year Leicester barely avoided relegation and the year before was the Championship.

I agree he looks like he can definitely do better than Leicester, but unless he can maintain this sort of form for the rest of the season then I am not really convinced that we should be considering him.
I'm not sure why it's relevant that they only just avoided relegation. They still play the same teams as everyone else. He was one of their better players at the end of the season so some credit goes to him for staying up and playing well in an average side.

At the end of the day plenty of players have left smaller clubs and done well at bigger clubs over the years. If Van Gaal thinks he's worth a punt then I'd have no problem with it. To suggest they'll buy a player simply because of a few months good form is naive at best, and insulting at worst. I suspect any player who comes in has been watched for ages so they can form a solid opinion.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I'm not sure why it's relevant that they only just avoided relegation. They still play the same teams as everyone else. He was one of their better players at the end of the season so some credit goes to him for staying up and playing well in an average side.

At the end of the day plenty of players have left smaller clubs and done well at bigger clubs over the years. If Van Gaal thinks he's worth a punt then I'd have no problem with it. To suggest they'll buy a player simply because of a few months good form is naive at best, and insulting at worst. I suspect any player who comes in has been watched for ages so they can form a solid opinion.
Well, nobody that I saw was touting Mahrez as a potential signing before this current run of form, so if hypothetically we bought him in January then I think it would be fair to say that this was on the back of his form this season - or that at the very least that was a major factor.

We have seen situations (Bebe being an extreme example) where a player is signed without being extensively scouted beforehand. Fergie hinted several times (such as with RVP) that sometimes a player was simply deemed to be too good or too good a prospect to ignore.

Anyway, I like Mahrez a lot, I just think it is too early for him to be moving to a big club. If Leicester are cementing themselves as a decent mid table PL team then in my opinion he should stay there for a year or two. He has a good thing going in the current Leicester setup, and he may not be able to replicate this sort of productivity in a different team/system.

RedRover

Well, nobody that I saw was touting Mahrez as a potential signing before this current run of form, so if hypothetically we bought him in January then I think it would be fair to say that this was on the back of his form this season - or that at the very least that was a major factor.

We have seen situations (Bebe being an extreme example) where a player is signed without being extensively scouted beforehand. Fergie hinted several times (such as with RVP) that sometimes a player was simply deemed to be too good or too good a prospect to ignore.

Anyway, I like Mahrez a lot, I just think it is too early for him to be moving to a big club. If Leicester are cementing themselves as a decent mid table PL team then in my opinion he should stay there for a year or two. He has a good thing going in the current Leicester setup, and he may not be able to replicate this sort of productivity in a different team/system.
My point was that the club will likely be watching player for ages before they buy them and players in the PL playing well will not go unnoticed by what I assume is an extensive scouting netowrk. They may move for players during a good run dependant on whether they now need a player in that position and possibly because interest in that player has increased from other clubs - Phil Jones being the obvious example for the latter.

As for Bebe - there's a school of thought that would suggest that frankly, it was more a favour to mendes than anything else.

Generally the top players aren't available in January so players like this represent decent value. I'm all for squad depth so I wouldn't have a problem with a player like this if the club think its worth a punt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What a sentence!

Mahrez, Mane, Felipe Anderson, none of them really excite me so I'll just wait and see. As far as Mahrez playing in our system, he seems technically good in tight spaces from what I've seen, not sure I see him struggling to fit in.
That's why Get French football are charlatans, they are not able to translate a simple sentence without Google translate.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
My point was that the club will likely be watching player for ages before they buy them and players in the PL playing well will not go unnoticed by what I assume is an extensive scouting netowrk. They may move for players during a good run dependant on whether they now need a player in that position and possibly because interest in that player has increased from other clubs - Phil Jones being the obvious example for the latter.

As for Bebe - there's a school of thought that would suggest that frankly, it was more a favour to mendes than anything else.

Generally the top players aren't available in January so players like this represent decent value. I'm all for squad depth so I wouldn't have a problem with a player like this if the club think its worth a punt.
I see your point, but if given the choice I would sooner see more gametime given to the likes of Pereira, Lingard or (if he were still here) Januzaj, than buying in players purely for the sake of adding depth to the squad. The only position where I think we are so light that it would merit an "emergency" signing in January is up front.

If we were signing Mahrez then I would hope/expect it to be on the grounds that we think he can step up to first team/starter level, not just as another player to sit on the bench. And if it were the former case then like I said, for me it is just too early to be able to make that judgement.

shivab

always knew that he has talent but still dont think hes at the level we should be looking at. at the moment we have no wingers that can be called world class. we need at least one and mahrez is not that player. it would be great to have a player like him on the bench though but from the players perspective it would be a waste of his talent to be sitting on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.