Rob Dawson ESPN: Solskjaer tells players he wants to implement a more attacking 4-3-3 this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It really depends on how tactically disciplined can the players be. If Pogba doesn’t track and keeps getting turned over that’ll obviously be a pressure point for the opposition team. Same thing with Bruno. If he keeps flicking the ball to nobody then we are going to get countered a lot. If we get Camavinga and he is indeed the second coming of Christ then maybe it’ll work if one of our fullbacks sit in with him but with our personnel I can see Ole changing between the 2 systems. I don’t really know how it’ll go to be honest. I thought we were ok after lockdown with fresh Matic Pogba doing his version of box too box and Bruno being a box to box 10 but I can’t see fred or McT being able to dominate their space as much as Matic did (and he only did it for about 10 games) they were all walking around by the end of the season and the attack went flat. It’s intriguing! I’d love to see us somehow get Pogba and Bruno into our most effective team 100%
The thing is, it still isn’t 100% ideal, but we can only try. We want as much quality as we can get on the pitch. The issue is that we also want the right qualities on the pitch, and I am sceptical as to whether a 3 with Bruno and Pogba can provide it.

Danillaco

Does Pogba, Bruno and McFred have a significant difference to say Kross, Modric & Casemiro. That Real Madrid three didn't have a true DM. Kroos and Pogba play similarly with Kroos having a bit more attention to detail (doesn't get caught on the ball so often). Casemiro is an energy player, box to box, putting in tackles. Not dissimilar to McFred. Then Modric who tends to get further upfield than Kroos but is maybe more a true CM than Bruno is.
Casemiro is the significant difference. Very significant I would say.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We are not getting a DM unless Pogba leaves imo. So if we want to be more attacking in a 4-3-3 its going to be one of

Pogba Bruno
Fred​
Or
VdB Bruno
DM​

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We've been quite successful with Fred + Pogba holding vs weaker teams and Fred + McTominay in games where we could play on the counter. Our problems started arising when the formation we needed wasn't possible due to injuries.

I don't think people should be getting their hopes up, because 4-3-3 will likely have the same players on the pitch. If true, it's probably just an option that will occasionally be pulled out, much like Ole's 5-3-2.

With the new formation, it's Fred in the holding role (unless Garner impresses in preseason) and Matic as backup? Doesn't excite me much. With the low fees I'm seeing mentioned for some DM's that aren't Camavinga, I'm hoping we'll spend an extra 10-20 million on a punt, in addition to Varane and Sancho.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
We are not getting a DM unless Pogba leaves imo. So if we want to be more attacking in a 4-3-3 its going to be one of

Pogba Bruno
Fred​
Or
VdB Bruno
DM​
Why arent we getting one in the first place is the real question. He's not a DM and we could do with a proper one that can play more than 10 games a season without moving like a corpse on the pitch.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Pogba Bruno
Fred​
Or
VdB Bruno
DM​
Maybe you're correct and we won't sign a midfielder. But it has been reported that we're open to signing one, hence the links to Camavinga.

rotherham_red

I don't think there's a DM alive that can allow Pogba and Bruno to play as #8's, Pogba needs a more dynamic box to box next to him and Bruno is often reckless with the ball, which is why he's best as a #10. The biggest issue though is that we don't have any DM, nevermind a top class one, if Ole is thinking of playing McTominay there we'll be back to 4-2-3-1 quick sharp.
I wonder if we go down the City route of having inverted fullbacks, and that is why Trippier is being sought? Luke Shaw has already shown he can perform that role during his time with LvG and even Jose at times. Trippier and Shaw as inverted fullbacks who come into midfield in defensive transitions would then mean that Pogba and Bruno can push forward into attacking areas and do what they do best.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Maybe you're correct and we won't sign a midfielder. But it has been reported that we're open to signing one, hence the links to Camavinga.
Is Camavinga good enough to start though? I thought we wanted him more because he's just a talent we should get when the opportunity comes

ElectroManiac

wait, what? :lol:
I know it sounds dumb :lol:, but with many fullbacks getting convert to DM roles that I though maybe it could be a reason why Ole want him to play this formation. I must confess I have only seem Trippier play a little bit only (Euro and some Champion League games)

Kaos

Do you guys think Trippier could play the DM role on this formation?
He's not a DM so no. If we did try and "Kimmich" our own solution then Ole would probably try it with AWB. Trippier will be signed to give us an offensive outlet from FB.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The thing is, it still isn’t 100% ideal, but we can only try. We want as much quality as we can get on the pitch. The issue is that we also want the right qualities on the pitch, and I am sceptical as to whether a 3 with Bruno and Pogba can provide it.
Im the same but the one thing I will say is Varane and someone like Camavinga should definitely shore up the spine and change the way we move the ball and defend as a unit. I have the same doubts as you but I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Pogba start the season on the left. I’m pretty much 100% expecting it if he’s still here. Maybe Ole is just kicking the can down the road instead of tackling the issue head on and having to answer all the Pogba questions. I guess the proof will be in the signing of a contract. if that happens then obviously we have to try everything to fit them both in. Bruno is a good lad I’d say he’ll give it his all wherever he ends up even if his numbers drop off. It’s not ideal but we might still adapt and be able to play higher up as a unit with the improved spine and more pace and power in behind

Borys

Statistics Wizard
More attacking players? We already have striker + 2 wide forwards + Bruno, all of them not working hard off the ball which is why we use McFred in midfield.
Honestly can't see it happening unless we get a proper DM. Neither of McTominay and Fred will perform the pivot role in 3 man midfield.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is Camavinga good enough to start though? I thought we wanted him more because he's just a talent we should get when the opportunity comes
If you look our issues when it comes to progressing play and the personnel occupying the roles, then i'd say Camavinga would start due to his skillset providing a potential solution. But that doesn't mean he can play as the fulltime DM in a 3 man midfield with two #8s. The reason I name dropped him was due to our reported interest and willingness to sign a midfielder which has also been reported.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If you look our issues when it comes to progressing play and the personnel occupying the roles, then i'd say Camavinga would start due to his skillset providing a potential solution. But that doesn't mean he can play as the fulltime DM in a 3 man midfield with two #8s. The reason I name dropped him was due to our reported interest and willingness to sign a midfielder which has also been reported.
Hopefully we after because that's the way I can see 2 8s working whether Pogba stays or not

Ali Dia

The funny thing is everyone is blaming the “pivot” for all our woes. It’s not the pivot. It’s that we give the ball away a lot in the middle whether that’s Pogba or Bruno giving it away for fun and they need to be covered for and supplied with the ball and it’s too much work for one player. The main problem and I’ve been banging my head against the wall saying this all last season is our attack. It’s low energy and one dimensional and very reliant on Bruno to do “something”. It’s quite telling when a supposedly past it free transfer can walk into your supposedly world class team and show everyone else up no? That’s the main problem. Greenwood Martial and Rashford all offer the exact same thing as each other but at least Greenwood can mix it up on either foot

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Im the same but the one thing I will say is Varane and someone like Camavinga should definitely shore up the spine and change the way we move the ball and defend as a unit. I have the same doubts as you but I really wouldn’t be surprised to see Pogba start the season on the left. I’m pretty much 100% expecting it if he’s still here. Maybe Ole is just kicking the can down the road instead of tackling the issue head on and having to answer all the Pogba questions. I guess the proof will be in the signing of a contract. if that happens then obviously we have to try everything to fit them both in. Bruno is a good lad I’d say he’ll give it his all wherever he ends up even if his numbers drop off. It’s not ideal but we might still adapt and be able to play higher up as a unit with the improved spine and more pace and power in behind
My suspicion is simply that a 433 will create the same questions about Bruno that a 4231 creates about Pogba. Unless he becomes Verratti, De Jong or a Barella, then we’ll likely spend a few months of good intention before accepting that he is not a central midfielder, and then either dropping him in bigger games as we have done with Pogba at times and bringing in a Donny or Fred (if we are committed that a 433 is our preferred formation), or simply changing formation again at some point in the season back to a 4231 because of an insistence that Bruno needs to play. Very similar to Pogba currently. Of course, we’ll take the easy option and play both against all the bottom teams, but that would be kicking the can.

As I’ve said for 18 months, I still feel the issue started when we brought Bruno in the first place. It showed poor planning. Bruno’s signing only made sense if Pogba was leaving. If Ole was still insistent that he sees Pogba as a central cog in whatever he is trying to build, then he should have targeted a Saúl or similar in the first place. This is the sort of approach that has made me doubtful of how far we can go. We seem to just want to put as many good players on the pitch as we can, whether we are playing to their strengths or not. I’m expecting the latest chapter of that to unfold soon with the purchase of Sancho.

Red_toad

So

Dave/ Hendo
AWB, Maguire, Varane, Shaw
Bruno, Fred/McTommy, Pogba
Sancho, Cavani, Rashford
I think our midfield won't be good enough and will have issues tracking runners. Really need a very disciplined and strong holding player in there.

Ali Dia

My suspicion is simply that a 433 will create the same questions about Bruno that a 4231 creates about Pogba. Unless he becomes Verratti, De Jong or a Barella, then we’ll likely spend a few months of good intention before accepting that he is not a central midfielder, and then either dropping him in bigger games as we have done with Pogba at times and bringing in a Donny or Fred (if we are committed that a 433 is our preferred formation), or simply changing formation again at some point in the season back to a 4231 because of an insistence that Bruno needs to play. Very similar to Pogba currently. Of course, we’ll take the easy option and play both against all the bottom teams, but that would be kicking the can.

As I’ve said for 18 months, I still feel the issue started when we brought Bruno in the first place. It showed poor planning. Bruno’s signing only made sense if Pogba was leaving. If Ole was still insistent that he sees Pogba as a central cog in whatever he is trying to build, then he should have targeted a Saúl or similar in the first place. This is the sort of approach that has made me doubtful of how far we can go. We seem to just want to put as many good players on the pitch as we can, whether we are playing to their strengths or not. I’m expecting the latest chapter of that to unfold soon with the purchase of Sancho.
Theres definitely still a massive element of poor planning (goalkeepers, Jones contract, Ighalo not playing for 6 months, Williams and so on) so nothing would surprise me to be honest. I’m certain we bought Bruno (and VDB) because Pogba wanted out and then Pogba had a change of heart once the feel good factor came back. I also don’t think a big offer ever arrived for Pogba like he expected so we kicked the can down the road. We’ve clearly got no problem stockpiling players in certain positions and leaving other positions thread bare. I think it’s slowly getting better but it’ll take a few years and a lot of trial and error before it’s running like clockwork again. Hopefully we have a plan. It wouldn’t surprise me if we don’t though :wenger:

I agree with everything you’re saying

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So either Pogba is leaving or will be played on left. He is no way playing Pogba and Bruno with a DM unless we sign a monster DM.It will still be Fred, Scott but one of them will be box to box.

When was the last time a team played a 433 without a box to box (but equally good at defending) player? You can't play a 433 without a tireless box to box midfielder who can defend. Pep is the only who actually played like that but his full backs becomes narrow while defending.

Green_Red

Times like these I feel like strangling Mourinho for choosing Matic and Fred over Fabinho. An out out DM is ESSENTIAL for this formation to work. We wouldn't be having any problem transitioning to a 4-3-3 if we had Fabinho now but we either have to spend heavily on a new DM or gamble with Fred/Scott as anchors which will inevitably fail
Big fan of Fabinho are you?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

I'll try and remain respectful by simply saying this is a unique look on things and one I 100% disagree with in it's entirety :)

The Irish Connection

I doubt it to be honest. We would need a proper defensive midfielder for it and even if Camavinga comes, he’s too young to play the role on his own. Rice will cost £70 mill.
I reckon we’ll stick with the double pivot.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Did every CAM in football have to only play in a 4231?

Were they not great ones that played in a 433?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
There's no way Bruno will be dropped just because we switch to 4-3-3 as the main formation. It's not a video game. You lot are making it sound like a 4-3-3 need at least 2 top CMs for it to work. Ole wont do it if thats the case because he has 2 top AMs. He's not stupid and he isnt playing Pro Evolution Soccer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That was obvious to most people with a basic tactical knowledge.
It really wasn't obvious, and I predicted he would prioritize a CB over a DM if he wanted to implement a high pressing game with lightening quick transitions, due to the backline (CBs) required to play with high risk which has been reported by both Dawson and Ducker.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There's no way Bruno will be dropped just because we switch to 4-3-3 as the main formation. It's not a video game. You lot are making it sound like a 4-3-3 need at least 2 top CMs for it to work. Ole wont do it if thats the case because he has 2 top AMs. He's not stupid and he isnt playing Pro Evolution Soccer.
By that token, other top teams who play with 3 cms should jump at the opportunity to bring in Bruno if he becomes available, regardless of his strengths. It’s about square pegs in square holes.

I don’t think Ole will drop Bruno either, but that doesn’t make it worse idea than trying and failing for months to make something work with his favourite players rather than the most suited. As you said, he’d be better off reverting to a 4231 if that were the case. But managers do make tough decisions, and managers have dropped better players than Bruno (and Pogba too, before we go off on a tangent!) in the history of football to get the blend they want to play with.

Ideally, a coach should know how he wants to play and then acquire the players suited to it. And sell the players who are not. It sounds simple, but not a concept I think we have necessarily grasped. Something needs to give between Bruno and Pogba, and Ole needs to be the man who is brave enough and decisive enough to make that decision. Not dropping others because they are softer touches, like playing Rashford on the right instead of playing Greenwood on the right, despite the obvious fact that Greenwood is better suited to the right than Rashford. Needs to stop.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'll try and remain respectful by simply saying this is a unique look on things and one I 100% disagree with in it's entirety :)
Respectful is a huge step for you sir, I’ll take it any day!

lex talionis

The funny thing is everyone is blaming the “pivot” for all our woes. It’s not the pivot. It’s that we give the ball away a lot in the middle whether that’s Pogba or Bruno giving it away for fun and they need to be covered for and supplied with the ball and it’s too much work for one player. The main problem and I’ve been banging my head against the wall saying this all last season is our attack. It’s low energy and one dimensional and very reliant on Bruno to do “something”. It’s quite telling when a supposedly past it free transfer can walk into your supposedly world class team and show everyone else up no? That’s the main problem. Greenwood Martial and Rashford all offer the exact same thing as each other but at least Greenwood can mix it up on either foot
Bang on! I would add to your astute diagnosis our insanely dire set piece defending.