Rob Dawson ESPN: Solskjaer tells players he wants to implement a more attacking 4-3-3 this season.

Tibs

Can't see us signing Sancho, Varane AND a new DM

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Not sure about this. I think 4-2-3-1 fits the squad better, and I expect it to be the formation we start with next season.
4-2-3-1 makes better use of Bruno, 4-3-3 will make better use of Pogba.

The question is: if we go for 4-3-3 with Pogba and Bruno as hybrid 8/10 how the hell we're going to balance this. we need a strong #6 to make it happend. Pogba of coruse could play as hybrid 6/8 but i don't trust him to be disciplined

tomaldinho1

I don't really buy this. I think they'll try it against the little teams in pre-season but it won't stick when push comes to shove. We still have too many weak spots in the team.
Sadly agree. Feels like a bit of a Glazer-esque leak to get people excited.

Ole has been in charge for a while now, we hardly lacked the players to play an attacking style against 75% of teams last season but we chose not to, why would it suddenly change now?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Deano
Trippier - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Beek
Bruno - Pogba
Greenwood - Cavani - Sancho​

Tarrou

Interesting, will take a couple things though:
1. An actual DM. Please not Rice.
2. Bruno to act like an actual CM and not a no.10. Think his individual play will lessen a little, but it will be at a strength of the team as a whole - we become far less reliant on him and a bit more balanced in midfield.
I think it really needs a fast partner for Maguire too so we can play a higher line

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Does Pogba, Bruno and McFred have a significant difference to say Kross, Modric & Casemiro. That Real Madrid three didn't have a true DM. Kroos and Pogba play similarly with Kroos having a bit more attention to detail (doesn't get caught on the ball so often). Casemiro is an energy player, box to box, putting in tackles. Not dissimilar to McFred. Then Modric who tends to get further upfield than Kroos but is maybe more a true CM than Bruno is.
Just the small difference that we are comparing what 3 can do with what 4 can do. Mcfred is not one player! Individually they both lack key facets needed for a pure defensive mid

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We're talking about different things then. I'm not claiming our finishing isn't good enough, I'm saying that as a team we don't score enough goals. And yes, that is because we don't create enough, because we find it difficult to break down teams who don't give us space. That's why the Southampton game is irrelevant: of course we're going to create more than enough chances when playing 90 minutes against ten men.

Again, the point is that 1) our attacking play needs serious improvement because it's not good enough for a title challenge, 2) it's not just an issue of personnel. So I'd be happy to see changes.
Not really true though, how many times do teams score 9 goals? It has happened to Southampton a couple of times, Wigan, Ipswich but I can't remember anyone else in the premiership era, so no the result is not irrelevant, nor does playing against ten men mean we will naturally create more chances.

So again, goalscoring isn't the issue - we have goalscorers throughout the team, Bruno, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Pogba and add Sancho on that list, the issue is creating the chances, which we have struggled with at times, as you say, usually against the more defensive teams.

However the change of formation could give us that extra attacking freedom to do just this, however I would still expect two in the middle for the big teams.

Siorac

I don't get this fear of hampering Bruno. Yes he probably won't be getting the same numbers, but its surely a good thing to have more goals being shared across the team and our front three in particular. There's also no reason why he can't continue to look to play the killer pass in a midfield 3 - De Bruyne plays as part of a 3 for City doesn't he?
De Bruyne is a much better passer. Or I should say a much more consistent passer, really.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'd rather have James at CB. Or Sancho in goal.
:lol:

yeah, seems a strange rumour to be flying around, and one I hope isn't true, AWB needs to stay on the right...

Although James would give us Pace at the back :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Interesting, will take a couple things though:
1. An actual DM. Please not Rice.
2. Bruno to act like an actual CM and not a no.10. Think his individual play will lessen a little, but it will be at a strength of the team as a whole - we become far less reliant on him and a bit more balanced in midfield.
For me it is (as it always seems to be with our team), where do his best qualities lie? We always seem to be struggling to make an XI gel.

With this change, we’d be going from a system, as @Ali Dia has correctly pointed out repeatedly that doesn’t fit Pogba as the best role for him in the 4231 would be the 10 - to one which, to me, makes Bruno the odd one out. He obviously deserves a crack at stamping his role in the 3, but the switch immediately swings the suitability from Bruno to Pogba, in terms of who is in their optimised formation.

What are your views on this @Ali Dia ? I agreed with tour position before that ‘Sancho gives us what Pogba offers on the left and Bruno is the 10 so he doesn’t fit’, and would like to know your take should we switch to a midfield 3.

Another issue not discussed is the centre forward role for me. Moving to a traditional midfield 3 should in theory help us control a football match better, but it also creates a greater need for a striker who can out up 20+ goals, especially if Bruno’s attentions are to be focused elsewhere further back. We’d need Cavani, at 34/35 or Martial to really deliver numbers, especially as Rashford, our main goal threat from wide, will be out.

JustAGuest

Exciting news if true. I enjoyed the 433 we played with Matic-Herrera-Pogba when Ole took over.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Would be nice to see but we need a strong DM for this. I think Ole is leaning toward how Man City used to play with Silva and KDB ahead of Fernandinho. Pogba and Bruno would be our Silva and KDB but i don’t think we have a Fernandinho type.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
4-2-3-1 makes better use of Bruno, 4-3-3 will make better use of Pogba.

The question is: if we go for 4-3-3 with Pogba and Bruno as hybrid 8/10 how the hell we're going to balance this. we need a strong #6 to make it happend. Pogba of coruse could play as hybrid 6/8 but i don't trust him to be disciplined
I agree, in an ideal world but I think this story (if true) could still be a better option, on balance, than last seasons McFred.

Yes, we need a top CH and a top DM but one of the two would also help compensate for deficiencies in the other.

A top DM would better shield Maguire/Lindelof and a top CH would (should) mean the defence is less reliant on midfield bailing it out. Either should mean we lose a defensive midfielder and gain someone up front/attack minded.

Last season : a defence that means Ole leans towards McFred for cover and we have a front four/attack

Varane : Ole gets rid of McFred, picks one of the two and we get another attack minded player (say Pogba) on the pitch and we have a front five. Maybe we don't have a top DM, but I think the occasional times we miss that second defensive minded midfielder would be outweighed by having another attack minded player, the chances/goals it creates. Also even if it leads to more opposition chances, maybe Varane means less of them turn into goals.

Ideal is top CH and top DM, we'd be real contendors. Getting Varane and having Pogba on the pitch more is second best option for me, though it'd be interesting to see how Bruno performs if he's a little further back... he can get frustrated

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
For me it is (as it always seems to be with our team), where do his best qualities lie? We always seem to be struggling to make an XI gel.

With this change, we’d be going from a system, as @Ali Dia has correctly pointed out repeatedly that doesn’t fit Pogba as the best role for him in the 4231 would be the 10 - to one which, to me, makes Bruno the odd one out. He obviously deserves a crack at stamping his role in the 3, but the switch immediately swings the suitability from Bruno to Pogba, in terms of who is in their optimised formation.

What are your views on this @Ali Dia ? I agreed with tour position before that ‘Sancho gives us what Pogba offers on the left and Bruno is the 10 so he doesn’t fit’, and would like to know your take should we switch to a midfield 3.

Another issue not discussed is the centre forward role for me. Moving to a traditional midfield 3 should in theory help us control a football match better, but it also creates a greater need for a striker who can out up 20+ goals, especially if Bruno’s attentions are to be focused elsewhere further back. We’d need Cavani, at 34/35 or Martial to really deliver numbers, especially as Rashford, our main goal threat from wide, will be out.
I agree. The 433 should bring the best out of Pogba in the way the 4231 brings the best out of Bruno. But then as you say the latter then loses his best traits; It’s very musical chairs with our players.

On paper with what we currently have for players who actually fit the system of a 433, it would probably be van De Beek and Pogba in a 3 behind a DM (Matic?).

The centre forward point is fair - though I did renew my yearly subscription to Martial FC after much debate. I do think the general idea in a 433 is that whilst you lose the G/A of your no.10, the team in and of itself picks up more goals elsewhere. E.G. Pogba was 13 + 9 in Ole’s first season as a third CM/kind of no.10. The idea in my mind is we’re sacrificing Bruno being in the 99th percentile for goals, assists, and key passes etc. to make it so the entire midfield and wide players pick up a their average a bit more. Whether it works in practice…

Cloud7

I would love it if this is true. In which case I wouldn’t mind a player like Rice to anchor the midfield and let the other two midfielders do their thing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We played more this way after the lockdown last summer and he was very productive because he's a really high quality player so I would imagine he'll be fine. The bigger issue is that Matic had one of his short-lived good spells for the first few games back and once that dropped off it no longer worked because we haven't got a holding player who is good positionally and can pass the ball forwards (McTominay is probably the best option in that role but he's far from ideal) and by the end of that season and very quickly at the start of last season, when Ole tried it again, he resorted back to Fred and McTominay together.
I don’t think it suits him or his skillset. I don’t think he has the game to play a shorter, tighter game personally - but I am certainly more open to trying it than having us continue with a 4231, which won’t take us anywhere.

Cloud7

Can’t see this being great news for Bruno. Think asking him to be a CM makes it far easier to improve upon him in an elite team. In a role where he isn’t primarily expected to score and create loads, I doubt it would take too long before the question of whether more conventional ‘midfielders’ would be better suited. Like when Bellingham comes onto the market perhaps, or if we get Camavinga or Mejbri kicks on.

His current role extracts the optimum from him I believe.
If the team as a whole looks better, more productive, and is less dependent on one player, then that’s a good thing for me, even if Bruno doesn’t put up the same numbers that he would with everything going through him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree. The 433 should bring the best out of Pogba in the way the 4231 brings the best out of Bruno. But then as you say the latter It’s very musical chairs with our players.

On paper with what we currently have for players who actually fit the system of a 433, it would probably be van De Beek and Pogba in a 3 behind a DM (Matic?).

The centre forward point is fair - though I did renew my yearly subscription to Martial FC after much debate. I do think the general idea in a 433 is that whilst you lose the G/A of your no.10, the team in and of itself picks up more goals elsewhere. E.G. Pogba was 13 + 9 in Ole’s first season as a third CM/kind of no.10. The idea in my mind is we’re sacrificing Bruno being in the 99th percentile for goals, assists, and key passes etc. to make it so the entire midfield and wide players pick up a their average a bit more. Whether it works in practice…
I’m definitely in favour. More importantly for me than even sacrificing G/A of your 10 for a more even share of goals is sacrificing more G/A from your 10 for more control of the midfield. I’d simply prefer 3 bodies in there, and unless Bruno is terrible there - I’d still prefer him there than further forward personally. I think he’d still get a lot of goals, as the team plays further forward and higher up the pitch as a whole so even his CM role will still be within range quite often.

JTRI

I don't think the role of the DM in this system is as crucial as it seems, there is no way the other two midfielders will bomb forward leaving no cover except McT. There will still be a balanced approach, I suppose the real question will be whether Bruno, Pogba, VDB etc can offer the defensive cover for it to work.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
We will most likely be playing with Bruno and Pogba in a CAM partnership protected by a single CDM.

It's not that different to bruno playing as a CAM in front of McFred is it? I don't see much difference especially since Bruno wasnt exactly a player who stuck to one position all the time like he was Ozil.

Bruno gets to play CAM and all it allows it to do is for Pogba to have the licence to get more forward through out the game.

Tarrou

not sure if it's been mentioned yet but if this is true it's surely good news for Donny

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

It really depends on how tactically disciplined can the players be. If Pogba doesn’t track and keeps getting turned over that’ll obviously be a pressure point for the opposition team. Same thing with Bruno. If he keeps flicking the ball to nobody then we are going to get countered a lot. If we get Camavinga and he is indeed the second coming of Christ then maybe it’ll work if one of our fullbacks sit in with him but with our personnel I can see Ole changing between the 2 systems. I don’t really know how it’ll go to be honest. I thought we were ok after lockdown with fresh Matic Pogba doing his version of box too box and Bruno being a box to box 10 but I can’t see fred or McT being able to dominate their space as much as Matic did (and he only did it for about 10 games) they were all walking around by the end of the season and the attack went flat. It’s intriguing! I’d love to see us somehow get Pogba and Bruno into our most effective team 100%

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
not sure if it's been mentioned yet but if this is true it's surely good news for Donny
Hopefully yes. Donny is made for this system(because it's the classical Ajax/Dutch way).

DavelinaJolie

Yeah, my immediate thought was "But what about the DM?" We don't have anyone that can really fulfil that role (Matic is too slow, surely?). If they're going to go all out for a DM great, but even with Varane I think that would be a must.

Danillaco

I'm not sure if I'm alone here but I definitely wouldn't have Beek in that role, he's not quick, he gets pushed off the ball and he can't tackle, he can pass though.
I don't think it would work too. If it's remaniscent of Juventus, VdB is no Pirlo and Bruno can't tackle like Marchisio. Nor vice versa.

El Jefe

I guess it makes sense that we added the new coach who will be responsible for pressing and counterpressing. We tried pressing aggressively at times last season but I always felt we were a step too late compared to the better teams at pressing and allowed openings to escape the press for the opposition. Was this due to our 4231 formation or coaching who knows but it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

And to echo what people have already said they DM position will still be a problem. I'd prefer Mctominay out of all of our options which admittedly aren't great. Fred should never be the player collecting the ball from the back four so close to goal, he's a mistake waiting to happen there. McT isn't much better but I still think he can ve coached to be adequate there.

RUCK4444

Deano
Trippier - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
Beek
Bruno - Pogba
Greenwood - Cavani - Sancho​
What? I’ve been hammered here for suggesting we can partner Pogba in a midfield two if we get a top DM in, now we are thinking of putting Beek there on his own?