Robbie Keane at Liverpool.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was just talking on a Villa forum about the summer Liverpool spent trying to get Gareth Barry off us. In the end we didn't fancy a swop involving likes of Ngog or Reira and kept him and they signed Robbie Keane for the money we wanted instead.

Seems he kind of gets forgotten in the striker flops of last 15 years but just looking at his record it was two goals in the champions league and just 5 in the premier league with him having to wait until 8th November to score his first for Liverpool.

What's interesting is that he scored a couple over the xmas period (really good finish in the 1-1 at Arsenal) so was probably starting to adapt to Liverpool style and Torres was getting a few injuries yet Liverpool just sold him back to Spurs for what they paid six months before. Scored 5 in 13 games for Spurs in remainder of the season.

Could it have worked? Of course Torres was main man and they also had Kuyt who could fill in centrally but you're talking a fantastic midfield behind of Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard. From what I remember in the early part of that season Keane missed an incredible amount of one on ones with the keeper then got dropped and Benitez decided he wouldn't work in the system and that was that. Or perhaps he was just past his best in premier league as Spurs loaned him out to Celtic the next season.

Spurs had a shambolic transfer period around that time. Sold Defore, Robbie Keane and Berbatov within six months of each other and replaced them with Pavlychenko, Dos Santos and Frazier Campbell which lead to the infamous 2 points from 8 games start. Then got back Keane and Defoe in the January 09 window.

Edit: Just seen @GuybrushThreepwood did a good post on his Liverpool spell in the recent Anelka thread, sorry to steal your thunder chap!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Didn't they play him at right wing? He was handled strangely but clearly on a decline from his previous best (although he killed it at LA Galaxy).

"It was more down to Rafa trying to change the way Robbie played and, for me, the reason we bought Robbie was for him to play off a front man and cause damage between defence and midfield.

"Rafa was trying to change that and change his game and I don't think Robbie was too happy with that, I think that's where the clash came."

--Steven Gerrard

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought they sold him too quickly. He didn’t too that badly right? Think the media was on his back from the outset

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
On a decline but his celebrations after scoring were top shelf.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Was just talking on a Villa forum about the summer Liverpool spent trying to get Gareth Barry off us. In the end we didn't fancy a swop involving likes of Ngog or Reira and kept him and they signed Robbie Keane for the money we wanted instead.

Seems he kind of gets forgotten in the striker flops of last 15 years but just looking at his record it was two goals in the champions league and just 5 in the premier league with him having to wait until 8th November to score his first for Liverpool.

What's interesting is that he scored a couple over the xmas period (really good finish in the 1-1 at Arsenal) so was probably starting to adapt to Liverpool style and Torres was getting a few injuries yet Liverpool just sold him back to Spurs for what they paid six months before. Scored 5 in 13 games for Spurs in remainder of the season.

Could it have worked? Of course Torres was main man and they also had Kuyt who could fill in centrally but you're talking a fantastic midfield behind of Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard. From what I remember in the early part of that season Keane missed an incredible amount of one on ones with the keeper then got dropped and Benitez decided he wouldn't work in the system and that was that. Or perhaps he was just past his best in premier league as Spurs loaned him out to Celtic the next season.

Spurs had a shambolic transfer period around that time. Sold Defore, Robbie Keane and Berbatov within six months of each other and replaced them with Pavlychenko, Dos Santos and Frazier Campbell which lead to the infamous 2 points from 8 games start. Then got back Keane and Defoe in the January 09 window.

Edit: Just seen @GuybrushThreepwood did a good post on his Liverpool spell in the recent Anelka thread, sorry to steal your thunder chap!
No problem ! I'd forgotten that I posted that, but it's like to me write an off-topic post about Keane on an Anelka thread !

From memory, I think he looked to be finally settling and finding some form, before Liverpool sold him back to Tottenham at a financial loss. I remember he scored 2 goals against West Brom, but Benitez soon took him off and wouldn't allow to him a go for a hat-trick. Often Benitez played him as a lone striker (when Torres was injured) or on the left-wing, which didn't really suit him, or subbed him off relatively early on in games. I remember some bizarre selections from Benitez around that time, such as dropping Torres from a tough Premier League game at the weekend (when he wasn't injured) and playing him during an easier (on paper) mid-week League Cup game.

For what it's worth Gerrard also publicly said (after Benitez had left the club of course) that he felt that Keane should have been given more of a chance there, and said that Benitez tried to make him change his game / style. Surely with a title challenge against Utd, and Champions League knockout games to come, they should have at least kept him until the end of the season. He was a Liverpool fan as a boy wasn't he, so maybe that added to the pressure he felt to try and step-up.

On a side note (again it's just like me to veer off-topic), I seem to recall that the full-back positions were basically a revolving door during the Benitez reign, with a pretty large number being bought and sold on.

Robertd0803

I remember him celebrating after scoring against Arsenal (?) and the quality ad that Virgin trains put out saying their train goes from London to Liverpool and back faster than Robbie Keane. Quality.

Besides that it wasnt the best of spells.

Also did Gerrard ever agree with anything Benitez did?

Champagne Football

Benitez was the wrong kind of manager for him. Bit like Martial and Rashford playing under Mourinho.

But Keane usually got around 15 PL goals a season when playing with Berbatov at Spurs. Made too many career move to truly fulfill his potential. Had a decent career but could have topped 20 goals a season had he stayed in 1 place under a manager who believed in him.

Superunknown

Always thought this was a strange transfer, personally. Never looked really comfortable in a Liverpool shirt and the time he was there was so short that it's so easily forgotten about. He was in a good place at Spurs and never quite looked the same to me afterwards. It's a cliché, but sometimes players are better off staying put where they are.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Rick Parry told Rafa that he could buy both Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry. Benitez agreed but said Liverpool had to get Barry first because if they couldn't sign him, he wouldn't want Keane. Benitez had formulated a system and without Barry, Keane wouldn't fit into it.
Once Keane was signed, the owners told Benitez to forget Barry as they refused to match Villa's valuation.

*Source for the above is the book "An Epic Swindle" by the reporter Brian Reade.

No matter personal feelings towards Benitez, a football manager can only work with what he's got and the owners shafted him but also themselves. If your manager decides he wants two players and explains that one is pointless without the other, then you're fecking the club over if you decide to sanction that deal without the other. If it hadn't worked out with both Barry and Keane, then that would have been the managers fault but he wasn't given a prayer with the owners we had back then.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rick Parry told Rafa that he could buy both Robbie Keane and Gareth Barry. Benitez agreed but said Liverpool had to get Barry first because if they couldn't sign him, he wouldn't want Keane. Benitez had formulated a system and without Barry, Keane wouldn't fit into it.
Once Keane was signed, the owners told Benitez to forget Barry as they refused to match Villa's valuation.

*Source for the above is the book "An Epic Swindle" by the reporter Brian Reade.

No matter personal feelings towards Benitez, a football manager can only work with what he's got and the owners shafted him but also themselves. If your manager decides he wants two players and explains that one is pointless without the other, then you're fecking the club over if you decide to sanction that deal without the other. If it hadn't worked out with both Barry and Keane, then that would have been the managers fault but he wasn't given a prayer with the owners we had back then.
Didn't he want to replace Alonso with Barry?

Yup, signed by Teappatoni as a teenager from Wolves.

Fantastic player altogether.
The time when Inter had Ronaldo, Hakan Suker, Zamarano, Vieri. Keane had a lot to contend with :lol:

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't he want to replace Alonso with Barry?
Yeah he did and I never understood the reasons behind that. Alonso was a brilliant player for us so I can only imagine that something happened behind the scenes ala Stam and Ferguson

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

I'd love to hear this masterplan where Robbie Keane comes alive when he has Gareth Barry passing sideways fifty yards behind him.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I'd love to hear this masterplan where Robbie Keane comes alive when he has Gareth Barry passing sideways fifty yards behind him.
I would have liked to see it. Rafa was a good tactician and if he thought that something could work, then there was probably a reason for it. It may not have worked but I'd like to have seen what he had in mind

Classical Mechanic

He probably just bottled it. Crouchy said he nearly did at Liverpool because of the pressure and intensity. He said it was an unforgiving atmosphere and that he questioned if it was worth it but stuck it out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yeah he did and I never understood the reasons behind that. Alonso was a brilliant player for us so I can only imagine that something happened behind the scenes ala Stam and Ferguson
Alonso upset him by missing a euro tie due to becoming a father didn't he?

Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard was a fantastic trio though. Premier league sides were so stacked centrally back then, even Arsenal had Gilberto-Fabregas-Hleb which worked very well in 07/08 for them.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He probably just bottled it. Crouchy said he nearly did at Liverpool because of the pressure and intensity. He said it was an unforgiving atmosphere and that he questioned if it was worth it but stuck it out.
Bellamy was also a bit like that. I know he changes clubs every year and is a difficult character but he'd just had an excellent scoring season at Blackburn (scored about 18 goals in 05/06) but couldn't deal with the Liverpool rotation policy and was struggling to score even before the Riise incident.

Classical Mechanic

Bellamy was also a bit like that. I know he changes clubs every year and is a difficult character but he'd just had an excellent scoring season at Blackburn (scored about 18 goals in 05/06) but couldn't deal with the Liverpool rotation policy and was struggling to score even before the Riise incident.
I don’t think people appreciate what it takes psychologically to play for a club that has the weight of expectation that sides like United and Liverpool do. It breaks a lot of players and they go into their shell and become lesser versions of themselves. Micky Thomas has been one of the most honest in his account, despite winning United player of the season he left because the pressure and exposure caused him depression and anxiety.

There’s a good cricket documentary called ‘The Edge’, about the England side that became number one in the world, once they reached the top several of the players started to crack psychologically.

poleglass red

Alonso upset him by missing a euro tie due to becoming a father didn't he?

Mascherano-Alonso-Gerrard was a fantastic trio though. Premier league sides were so stacked centrally back then, even Arsenal had Gilberto-Fabregas-Hleb which worked very well in 07/08 for them.
I think a big part of it was the season previous Alonso wasn't great form wise if I recall correctly. The next season ie the one where they didn't Barry, Alonso was excellent and then went of to Real.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t think people appreciate what it takes psychologically to play for a club that has the weight of expectation that sides like United and Liverpool do. It breaks a lot of players and they go into their shell and become lesser versions of themselves. Micky Thomas has been one of the most honest in his account, despite winning United player of the season he left because the pressure and exposure caused him depression and anxiety.

There’s a good cricket documentary called ‘The Edge’, about the England side that became number one in the world, once they reached the top several of the players started to crack psychologically.
It's unreal. Stewart Downing was never going to be the greatest player in the world but he looked lost in a Liverpool shirt even though he'd done well at Villa. Part of the reason that we won the league last season is due to the strong mentality that Klopp insists every player has. Mentality is under-rated by many but at the top level of sport, it gives you the extra 1% which may be all you need to overcome a stronger opponent.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Not sure what Spurs were on that Summer. Fair enough bought Pav and Modric but selling Defoe and Keane was the reason they were bottom in October. Great business from Harry to just buy them both back then add Crouchy.

Keane had the same problem Crouch had at Liverpool which was Torres was too good not to play.

Thing is Liverpool sold Crouch and then Keane and didn’t replace him so when Torres dropped off a cliff they ended up with some real shite up front at times. N’Gog.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I think a big part of it was the season previous Alonso wasn't great form wise if I recall correctly. The next season ie the one where they didn't Barry, Alonso was excellent and then went of to Real.
Agree with this. He wasn't great the previous season but he was still one of our better midfielders. He was sensational in the 08/09 season though and was every bit as important as Gerrard was

Classical Mechanic

It's unreal. Stewart Downing was never going to be the greatest player in the world but he looked lost in a Liverpool shirt even though he'd done well at Villa. Part of the reason that we won the league last season is due to the strong mentality that Klopp insists every player has. Mentality is under-rated by many but at the top level of sport, it gives you the extra 1% which may be all you need to overcome a stronger opponent.
Kieta is an example of a player who has struggled badly with it recently.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Kieta is an example of a player who has struggled badly with it recently.
I would disagree with that, his main problem is injuries and then getting in to an already winning side. Whenever he’s put a run together he’s looked good. I also think people think he’s purely an attacking midfielder which is where a lot of confusion comes from in regards to judging his performances. His defensive numbers are extremely good also.

He is however a player that there’s still a lot more to come from. Whether we get the chance to see it remains to be seen. I think it’s extremely important that he does as we’re not going to be signing anyone so that’s the stand out area where we can get improvement from in the team.

lsd

The Oracle
He was a good player but a total knob . Going into clubs acting like he was God n lighting cigars with 50 quid notes was probably the least offensive thing he did .

There is a reason most irish people don't really care for Dubs and keane pretty much offered all the reasons

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Keane was such a weird purchase.

We had world class players in central midfield and attack and no world class on the wings. And then he goes and buys another central player.

Rafa's main failing in the market was never really buying a top class winger, whilst stocking central midfield and defence with 4th and 5th choice players that were probably too good for their bit part roles.

GlasgowCeltic

They could never find a player to nail down the left wing spot in the 4231, Benayoun probably the best of the options they tried (Keane Riera Babel etc). Was the main thing holding them back from truly going toe to toe with Utd imo. Recall them constantly being linked to Simao for that spot

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Benitez liked to play a 4-2-3-1 during the year we signed Keane and it was noticeable. Keane and Torres together never worked because they were both trying to play as the lone front man up top. We were better when Keane wasn't there tbh.

It's a shame because I really wanted him to work out. Our best XI ended up having Gerrard behind Torres and Kuyt/Benayoun either side with Mascherano & Alonso behind them. Gerrard was at his best there because he didn't have as much responsibility in midfield and could do what he was good at.

Keane was a flop.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Barry wasn't much of a sideways crab. He didn't play many long 40 yard Hollywood type balls but he was great at passing forward between the lines.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Not sure what Spurs were on that Summer. Fair enough bought Pav and Modric but selling Defoe and Keane was the reason they were bottom in October. Great business from Harry to just buy them both back then add Crouchy.

Keane had the same problem Crouch had at Liverpool which was Torres was too good not to play.

Thing is Liverpool sold Crouch and then Keane and didn’t replace him so when Torres dropped off a cliff they ended up with some real shite up front at times. N’Gog.
God I remember when Liverpool were managed by Hodgson and N'Gog was starting most games when Torres was out. N'Gog is actually retired now such was his shitness. Seems a century ago now

GlasgowCeltic

Barrys stock was at its highest tbf, he’d just had just had an excellent season at Villa

poleglass red

Barry wasn't much of a sideways crab. He didn't play many long 40 yard Hollywood type balls but he was great at passing forward between the lines.
Alonso could do all that and play the 40 yards passes as well. I don't think anyone saying Barry was shite but he wasn't world class whereas Alonso was.As Gerrad himself said, he could have seen Barry playing in mid alongside Alonso, but never to replace him.