Robert Pires brought diving into the English game

stubie

Mills has only said this to get an appearance on BBC this weekend. Jason Roberts tends to play the racism card on twitter and miraculously appears on Final Score or Match of The Day the following weekend.

Nothing more desperate than a shit opinion just to get on TV

Moriarty

That he did.

Mind you, I remember Best diving a time or two as well, usually as a message to the ref after half a dozen uncalled fouls.

A few years later Rodney Marsh used to dive and laugh about it after the match. I don't even think he bothered to pretend that he got caught by the trailling foot, or was pushed off-balance or whatever. He seemed to think it was all part of the game. I don't even remember him being called on it.
Check out the video at about 0:30 on for a great bit of theatre with Best and Lee.Oh, and watch the dive at 2:54. I was there that day on the Kippax and it got a bit rough after that.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
To be fair to Mills, Pires is the first I can remember who actuallly based his game around being a diving cheat. There were games I'd watch where his whole plan would be to just get to an area of the pitch and dive. Other payers dived when the opportunity came up, or in desperation when the lost the ball. Pires would literally go whole games doing nothing but trying to cheat.

In fairness though, if he was still playing now he'd still be by far the biggest cheat in the league. It's not really caught on because of him, it's just that he was an exceptionally massive pansy. The worst I can remember who didn't play for FC Porto.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
What a magnificent player Pires was. A scorer of many outstanding goals.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
To be fair to Mills, Pires is the first I can remember who actuallly based his game around being a diving cheat. There were games I'd watch where his whole plan would be to just get to an area of the pitch and dive. Other payers dived when the opportunity came up, or in desperation when the lost the ball. Pires would literally go whole games doing nothing but trying to cheat.

In fairness though, if he was still playing now he'd still be by far the biggest cheat in the league. It's not really caught on because of him, it's just that he was an exceptionally massive pansy. The worst I can remember who didn't play for FC Porto.
Not to say Pires wasn't prone to the occasional dive, but Ronaldo in his time in the PL gave him some tough competition in that regard. It was only towards the end of his time in England that he realised he didn't really need to pull off those embarrassing theatrics.

Anyhow, point is moot, lets go back to how Danny Mills is the definition of mediocrity.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Not to say Pires wasn't prone to the occasional dive, but Ronaldo in his time in the PL gave him some tough competition in that regard. It was only towards the end of his time in England that he realised he didn't really need to pull off those embarrassing theatrics.

Anyhow, point is moot, lets go back to how Danny Mills is the definition of mediocrity.
Understatement of the year.

montpelier

Not all diving is completely bad - Rooney vs. The Invincibles, for example, was absolutely fantastic.

(surprised Rooney's name hasn't appeared here actually, he falls over nearly any outstretched leg in the box, with expert precision)

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Not to say Pires wasn't prone to the occasional dive,
He became more of a diver after his knee injury. He lost his burst of pace and I think compensated for that when he knew he would get tackled. Wasn't a serial diver like people made him out to be.

montpelier

Alexis Sanchez is quite fond of the floor, innit?

Ashley Young is ridiculous but thought he was harshly treated about the last one, tbh <---- Might be about the only one who thinks this, mind

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Alexis Sanchez is quite fond of the floor, innit?

Ashley Young is ridiculous but thought he was harshly treated about the last one, tbh <---- Might be about the only one who thinks this, mind
He was scapegoated because he was a United player but he did perform a few bad dives.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Mills has only said this to get an appearance on BBC this weekend. Jason Roberts tends to play the racism card on twitter and miraculously appears on Final Score or Match of The Day the following weekend.

Nothing more desperate than a shit opinion just to get on TV
:lol: So true

Wonder how the feck Kevin Kilbane gets on then, he's never said anything controversial, offensive or even noteworthy in his life.

Dominos

From what I remember Young won 2 or 3 dubious penalties within the space of a few weeks/months and it got him the reputation as the worst diver in the league. Realistically how many games can you say you've seen him dive in the games he's played this season, for example? He's not a several-per-game offender, he'll definitely take a tumble if he finds a good opportunity to do so in the penalty area though, no doubt. Not sure he's necessarily the most frequent diver in our team to be honest, I'd say I've seen Martial dive more frequently than any of our players this season, although he is the most fouled too and the only player capable of actually beating a man in order to get the opportunity to take a dive.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Arsenal have always been the biggest cheats in the league imo.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Arsenal have always been the biggest cheats in the league imo.
That team of Ljunberg, Henry, Pires and Vieira. Not sure if there's any team in the world which consisted of 4 profilic divers at the same time. Pires and Henry were the masters really.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Never seen a worse diver than Ronaldo and Young (after he moved to United). Luckily Ronaldo cut it out of his game for the most part.

izec

:lol: are we finished with which team has the worst divers? It is not even a debate, clearly Arsenaln so stop pretending otherwise.

stubie

:lol: So true

Wonder how the feck Kevin Kilbane gets on then, he's never said anything controversial, offensive or even noteworthy in his life.
Kilbane is ideal for the BBC as he tows the line. They have not got to worry about him becoming controversial.

Fair play to ITV for having Keane. Guy who clearly does not sit on the fence.

Kopral Jono

Dived their way to both Uefa Cup and Champions League success, which I think is a magnificent feat in itself.

Theonas

Scout
There are two types of diving IMO; when a player attempts to win a penalty or a free kick and one when a player rolls in agony as if being shot in an overly theatrical manner. The first one has always existed everywhere and at all times with footballers trying to gain unfair advantage in a not dissimilar manner to when they claim corner kicks or throw ins. The second one however definitely exists more in South American and and Mediterranean countries but it is more of a cultural phenomena in the sense that in England, acting like that is not considered manly whereas in say Brazil, it is not the same as can be seen with someone like Diego Costa. It is really just the definition of what being a man on the football pitch is in each area of the world so it is annoying when ex English players attempt to paint it as "cheating" because if it is cheating they object to, it is a classic the kettle calling the pot ...

RyRoc

That team of Ljunberg, Henry, Pires and Vieira. Not sure if there's any team in the world which consisted of 4 profilic divers at the same time. Pires and Henry were the masters really.
The only player in there that could be considered a "prolific diver" is Pires...

RyRoc

Maybe in his final season but he was an absolutely wonderful player in his early career at Arsenal and won football writers player of the year in 01/02 so think that's a massive exaggeration.