Robert Sanchez | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerociousCorgis

feck even giving them 20 million. Their 3rd choice keeper who they clearly don't want. 10 would be tops for me.

edcunited1878

I agree Onana is more nailed on option for us, but if we somehow miraculously fail to sign him, Sanchez wouldn't be as bad an option as some posters are making it.

Why I can see a room for Sanchez here and where he can actually improve us in general, comparing him with DDG, is the fact he excelled at things that are highlighted as a weakness for his compatriot:
  • General style - He is level above DDG in terms of his self-confidence, aggressiveness and composure. His aggressive and proactive style can lead to occasional errors, just like with Onana, but generally speaking the benefits for the team exceeds those errors by far.
  • Dealing with crosses - There is no surprise to say that someone at 6′ 6″ is very good at commanding his area and claiming crosses, but his positioning and technique to execute is remarkable. He is comfortable with going for the high balls well away from his line, what is night and day difference compared to DDG, and his timing to go for it at the very highest point maximise his aerial dominance and ability.
  • Positioning - Not just with his crosses, his positioning when he is anticipating shots is IMO better than DDG's. For someone of his size, he is very quick with his footwork which helps him be properly positioned and change direction if necessary which make his saves mostly look like routine ones in contrast to DDG who is not so good at this and that requires much more effort to stop shots. That's why his saves look more difficult like “Hollywood ones”. Is Sanchez truly better at shot stopping ? Arguably. But does he make his life easier with his positioning and quick feet ? Definitely.
  • Distribution - He was an active part in Brighton’s build up and with his short passing is good, but he can be overly composed sometimes which can lead to mistakes. But what I love with his distribution are medium and long range passess. He has unique technique, vision and, most importantly, pace on the ball to execute those kinds of passes and turn it into a goal creating chance for his team. That immediately sends a warning to opposition who will think twice about applying high press on us or dropping deep to prevent those situations - totally in contrast to what we see when we had DDG as a goalkeeper.
To conclude, Sanchez is a more decent option than a nailed on starter for us, but at his current status with Brighton and our reported small budget he is a more than attainable option and someone ETH would be interested to work with given his abilities. It is just a case that not every signing must be "flashy", sometimes even a decent one can significantly improve your team.
But he doesn't have the mentality or personality. Say what you want about DDG's personality or drive, but it's wrong. He's taken pelters his entire career at United and seems to bounce back time after time, even puts his neck on the line during post-match interviews when other personalities or big name players don't want to be accountable for what happened. And you cannot be a Golden Glove winner without communicating to your back line and helping to organize it, no matter who is in front of you defending. We all heard the audio during the times they played during Covid without supporters...DDG communicated and yelled like any other GK would to his team.

Sanchez didn't respond well at all to adversity at Brighton. How the feck is he supposed to react at United as a no 1? At best, he'll be a number 2 at United and shouldn't be bought for more than 12M.

gazbradley

I wouldn’t be against maybe a loan with an option to buy for 15 mil or so but only as a backup to Onana. Plays a style ETH wants and could maybe promise him cup games similar to what we did with Dubrakva last season. The opportunity to play at a bigger club and if Onana got injured or just didn’t work out may force his way into a starting spot might be enough to convince him to be our backup for a year

Lux Thunder

But he doesn't have the mentality or personality. Say what you want about DDG's personality or drive, but it's wrong. He's taken pelters his entire career at United and seems to bounce back time after time, even puts his neck on the line during post-match interviews when other personalities or big name players don't want to be accountable for what happened. And you cannot be a Golden Glove winner without communicating to your back line and helping to organize it, no matter who is in front of you defending. We all heard the audio during the times they played during Covid without supporters...DDG communicated and yelled like any other GK would to his team.

Sanchez didn't respond well at all to adversity at Brighton. How the feck is he supposed to react at United as a no 1? At best, he'll be a number 2 at United and shouldn't be bought for more than 12M.
I don't know anything about their personality/mentality off the pitch, I can speak purely on their showings on the pitch and Sanchez simply showed me more personality and confidence when he is on the pitch.

I agree he didn't respond well to being dropped at Brighton, but the same argument can be used against our primary target Onana. Goalkeepers can be very sensitive about being dropped and it's not always that bad to show that you think you deserve to have a better status. If I have to compare Sanchez and DDG, one didn't respond well being on the bench while the other one delusionally thinks he is worth some extraordinary wages.

All in all, if we miss out on Onana, I think a loan move with an option to buy wouldn't be that bad for us. He can't be worse than DDG and if he fails to impress, we can be again in the market for a goalkeeper once our ownership question is solved.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I wouldn’t be against maybe a loan with an option to buy for 15 mil or so but only as a backup to Onana. Plays a style ETH wants and could maybe promise him cup games similar to what we did with Dubrakva last season. The opportunity to play at a bigger club and if Onana got injured or just didn’t work out may force his way into a starting spot might be enough to convince him to be our backup for a year
I like your idea but I don’t think he’ll leave first choice at Brighton to being a back up with us.

Kaos

Any chance we could take him on loan with an option to buy? I mean he's third choice there, so not exactly looking like a huge miss for them.

Granted they might prefer a fee and to be done with it, but perhaps we could send them one of our young players on loan going the other way?

Gandalf

I like your idea but I don’t think he’ll leave first choice at Brighton to being a back up with us.
Steele has taken over as first choice and they have now signed another keeper to challenge for that spot. Sanchez is second or even third choice on opening day this season. A little like Brentford, Brighton have gone ahead and signed the replacement before selling the incumbent and that is lowering the value of Raya and Sanchez for interested clubs.

Apokalips

People actually want us to sign a keeper that Brighton demoted to 3rd choice? I can see that taking us to the next level.

Borussia Teeth

People actually want us to sign a keeper that Brighton demoted to 3rd choice? I can see that taking us to the next level.
I've seen a lot of similar posts to this. Personally, I couldn't care less if he's Brighton's number 3. He would be a massive improvement on what we currently have and his position at Brighton actually lowers his value. Although I would prefer Onana or Costa, this could be a great deal in my opinion.

Apokalips

I've seen a lot of similar posts to this. Personally, I couldn't care less if he's Brighton's number 3. He would be a massive improvement on what we currently have and his position at Brighton actually lowers his value. Although I would prefer Onana or Costa, this could be a great deal in my opinion.
He got replaced by Brighton's long term backup keeper, not some quality signing. Just because he is cheap doesn't mean we should buy him.

If he can be improved upon by Brighton's backup then surely there are a number of options out there we could purchase that would be an improvement for us. It's not Onana/Costa or bust.

It's like saying let's buy Moussa Dembele because Kane is unavailable and he's better than Weghorst. Surely we aim much higher or don't complain when we inevitably do not challenge for trophies.

Borussia Teeth

He got replaced by Brighton's long term backup keeper, not some quality signing. Just because he is cheap doesn't mean we should buy him.

If he can be improved upon by Brighton's backup then surely there are a number of options out there we could purchase that would be an improvement for us. It's not Onana/Costa or bust.

It's like saying let's buy Moussa Dembele because Kane is unavailable and he's better than Weghorst. Surely we aim much higher or don't complain when we inevitably do not challenge for trophies.
Yes, he was replaced by Steele (who has done very well) but I don't think he is inferior to Steele. I think Sanchez is a very good goalkeeper. I'm not suggesting that we should buy him just because he's cheap.

As for your Dembele analogy; I think relatively speaking, Sanchez is a much better keeper than Dembele is a striker. Just my opinion though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Steele has taken over as first choice and they have now signed another keeper to challenge for that spot. Sanchez is second or even third choice on opening day this season. A little like Brentford, Brighton have gone ahead and signed the replacement before selling the incumbent and that is lowering the value of Raya and Sanchez for interested clubs.
I’m that case why would we want a 3rd choice keeper to be our number 1? Is that gonna take us to the next level?

Lux Thunder

Don't get bothered with it, it's just a poor argument and it's not worthy to go too deep into discussion.

Despite his current situation at Brighton, who are criminally underrated here btw, I see Sanchez as a top goalkeeping prospect available at low cost.

Gandalf

I’m that case why would we want a 3rd choice keeper to be our number 1? Is that gonna take us to the next level?
He would be a compromise for sure. He is an upgrade on DDG at this point as he is comfotable with the ball at his feet and does come off his line to claim crosses and control his area but overall he does not offer the same level of play that Onana does.

lex talionis

Unbelievable. Some here would have us take the third choice keeper so long as that means getting rid of De Gea.

Nero

To call him bang average would be an insult to bang average.

Lux Thunder

Unbelievable. Some here would have us take the third choice keeper so long as that means getting rid of De Gea.
Why? For example, both Onana and Sanchez were third choice goalkeeper when they joined Ajax and Brighton, both earned their spot as a first choice and then both fell in pecking order, not because of their qualities but due to relationship with the club's hierarchy.

But yet, Onana, who I prefer more than Sanchez to be clear, is mostly welcomed here as Holly Jesus reincarnated and Sanchez suddenly forgets which goal he has to defend. Sorry, but that's unbelievable to me mate.

lex talionis

Why? For example, both Onana and Sanchez were third choice goalkeeper when they joined Ajax and Brighton, both earned their spot as a first choice and then both fell in pecking order, not because of their qualities but due to relationship with the club's hierarchy.

But yet, Onana, who I prefer more than Sanchez to be clear, is mostly welcomed here as Holly Jesus reincarnated and Sanchez suddenly forgets which goal he has to defend. Sorry, but that's unbelievable to me mate.
Were, not are.

I agree that wankfest here over Onana is unbelievable, not too unlike Trump rallies in the US.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Are we just doing this to help sweeten the Caicedo deal? This guy is terrible. He’s worse than Kepa.

Teja

Why has his stock fallen so low? I always thought he was a decent keeper.

MrBrightside1989

Dropped to third choice for Brighton behind Steele and the new lad.
always seemed to have a mistake in him, a decent number 2 but can't see him being number 1 at a top club. Still has age on his side though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Why has his stock fallen so low? I always thought he was a decent keeper.
He lost his place at Brighton and now they’re shopping him around. No idea why we’re interested other than sweetening the Caicedo deal.

Mwooyo

He lost his place at Brighton and now they’re shopping him around. No idea why we’re interested other than sweetening the Caicedo deal.

Kepa played like 1200 minutes more. It's such a myth that Robert Sanchez doesn't play because he is bad. He fell out with the new Brighton coach and was replaced but he is still really good. His passing is elite, his cross claiming is too notch, he sweeps well and he saves really well. Even when manutd played Brighton in the fa cup semi final he was really good. Sanchez is like the dream GK in terms of size and skills, basically what people think diogo Costa will become. Given time, I have no doubt He will bench kepa and it won't even be a tight fight.

Borussia Teeth

Kepa played like 1200 minutes more. It's such a myth that Robert Sanchez doesn't play because he is bad. He fell out with the new Brighton coach and was replaced but he is still really good. His passing is elite, his cross claiming is too notch, he sweeps well and he saves really well. Even when manutd played Brighton in the fa cup semi final he was really good. Sanchez is like the dream GK in terms of size and skills, basically what people think diogo Costa will become. Given time, I have no doubt He will bench kepa and it won't even be a tight fight.
Agreed. I thought he would have been a good option for us this summer. He's definitely better than Kepa, despite Kepa improving last season.

Reezy

Supports
Chelsea
As much as I don’t want us to start yet another campaign with Kepa as our number 1, I can’t really see the logic in this one unless it ends up being an exceptionally cheap deal. Can only imagine it is tied to the Caicedo deal in some way if the links are true.

I think he probably is better than Kepa, but it’s marginal. There are surely better options out there?

OleGunnar20

I was always impressed when I saw him, looked a good player. I think he'd do well at Chelsea.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We will see. If he's as good as you say he can be, then cool but I haven't been particularly impressed when I've watched him and his metrics do not match up favourably vs Kepa, even when I cherry pick Kepa's 2020 season, the worst season of his career, where he put up historically awful numbers, Sanchez comes out looking worse.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Crazy how his stock has fallen so low, in what, half a season? (Didn’t he start as number 1 for Brighton?). I remember him being mentioned (together with Raya) as a preferred choice to replace DDG.

Has it been purely based on form/distribution of Steele being much superior or was he always a tad overhyped on here? Seemingly fallen out with de Zerbi as well but maybe it’s just him wanting to move on to be number 1 elsewhere. @The Boy

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Hmmm it seems to me if our GK coach did t personally want and rate him so highly we wouldn’t be in for this at all, which understandably makes me nervous. If we were definitively buying him as a #2 for that reason, cool, but then find a good spot for other 6 or whatever GK’s we have on staff and pay a backup goalie price.

Mendy went for like 17…

It is starting to feel like Brighton have pics of our guys cheating on their wives or something. In the grand scheme of things we. Do . Not. Need. Them. The way they need us. As we expand more and more we are buying the scouted high potential players before before they go to Brighton. They want to feed off the overflow of our academy. They tried to spike the water of a player we entrusted to them to on loan (a HUGE no no)…

And all we’ve received in return is Cucurella to date? Thanks …..

From my understanding they are already planning on trying for loan moves for players like Paez when the time comes, with, of course, a mind toward turning their heads.

Maybe both clubs should just cut off ties completely, and we’ll just see who it affects most.

Reezy

Supports
Chelsea
Hmmm it seems to me if our GK coach did t personally want and rate him so highly we wouldn’t be in for this at all, which understandably makes me nervous. If we were definitively buying him as a #2 for that reason, cool, but then find a good spot for other 6 or whatever GK’s we have on staff and pay a backup goalie price.

Mendy went for like 17…

It is starting to feel like Brighton have pics of our guys cheating on their wives or something. In the grand scheme of things we. Do . Not. Need. Them. The way they need us. As we expand more and more we are buying the scouted high potential players before before they go to Brighton. They want to feed off the overflow of our academy. They tried to spike the water of a player we entrusted to them to on loan (a HUGE no no)…

And all we’ve received in return is Cucurella to date? Thanks …..

From my understanding they are already planning on trying for loan moves for players like Paez when the time comes, with, of course, a mind toward turning their heads.

Maybe both clubs should just cut off ties completely, and we’ll just see who it affects most.
Completely agree, we shouldn’t be in the business of doing them favours, especially after their conduct over Colwill.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Crazy how his stock has fallen so low, in what, half a season? (Didn’t he start as number 1 for Brighton?). I remember him being mentioned (together with Raya) as a preferred choice to replace DDG.

Has it been purely based on form/distribution of Steele being much superior or was he always a tad overhyped on here? Seemingly fallen out with de Zerbi as well but maybe it’s just him wanting to move on to be number 1 elsewhere. @The Boy
He’s a good keeper, but de Zerbi thought Steele’s distribution was better and when he tried it Sanchez threw his toys out of the pram and understandably hasn’t been welcome back since.

Attitude aside he’s a very good keeper, but he’s finished at Brighton.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Completely agree, we shouldn’t be in the business of doing them favours, especially after their conduct over Colwill.
Not sure what you mean by this but it’s funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.