Roberto De Zerbi

RoyH1

Maximum confidentiality = Man Utd to announce after FA Cup

If Milan it would have been leaking left. Right, centre.
And Barcelona who he's also been linked to cannot even pay the groundsmen right now so that rules them out.

Can it really be us? Milan has no reason to hide it, do they?

Lyng

It's no secret I wanted Tuchel but that was only as a bridge for the future manager in 2 years. De Zerbi would be even better as that would mean his style of football is what Ineos want us to play and his style is my personal favourite to watch.

crossy1686

career ending
I doubt Brighton pay their managers huge amounts so I don't think that rules it out really. He could also just have had a clause in his contract.

The talk about him not having a team lined up is obviously nonsense so it's starting to point in our direction a bit more, what with us having the cup final left. However, I'd still be surprised.
No manager would walk away from a PL job unless they have something else lined up that's bigger than their current role. So he's either been sacked or someone has paid his clause to sign him and he wants to go.

I'm not sure who else currently has a manager and has something to play for, but if he was going to say, Chelsea, their season is over, they would announce it any day now. We got absolutely tonnes of shit from all angles when Moyes was the last person to find out he was sacked, and the same with LVG getting the boot but not being told for a couple of days. So it would make sense if it was us trying to do things right this time around.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Would that be better for his career? Surely staying at Brighton or moving to Italy would be a better move? I mean Bayern, United, City, Liverpool, Barcelona and Chelsea have all been linked in the last 3 months
The only thing I know is that earlier this season, he said that he was disappointed to not find an agreement with the club and Marseille are apparently one of the club that contacted him last week.

tomaldinho1

The only thing I know is that earlier this season, he said that he was disappointed to not find an agreement with the club and Marseille are apparently one of the club that contacted him last week.
He was also underpaid at Brighton compared to the broader league - Marseille paid Tudor over double what he was on at Brighton, it seems a bit of an odd move though given it's very difficult to win that league vs PSG but I guess yearly CL football should be there. It's a huge club though, if he wants a challenge it would be an exciting seat.

EdinburghDevil

Everyone saying it must be us. Maybe Pep is going to call it quits after the FA Cup final and it's City.

Pickle85

Really hope it's not us. Started really well with Brighton but has faded since and his sides always look as likely to take a pasting as to hand one out. Would much prefer someone more proven.

ROFLUTION

In a well run club I think he’s a good manager.

Brighton has had an insane amount of injuries this season and there’s rarely been any continuity. He’s not doing that bad imo, but not great neither.

I doubt he has what it takes to deal with the pressure at United or that he fully understands the scale and ambitions of the club/fans. It really requires someone who’s been at one before (An Ancelotti type)

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
He was also underpaid at Brighton compared to the broader league - Marseille paid Tudor over double what he was on at Brighton, it seems a bit of an odd move though given it's very difficult to win that league vs PSG but I guess yearly CL football should be there. It's a huge club though, if he wants a challenge it would be an exciting seat.

Less than Wilder and Rob Edward’s?! I’m genuinely surprised by that.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Brighton really are all about the money, aren't they? I know they're a small club but that's laughable compared to what players are on.

Woodzy

Everyone saying it must be us. Maybe Pep is going to call it quits after the FA Cup final and it's City.
I thought this may have been an option, but Pep would definitely want his Klopp moment when he leaves so that he can celebrate in front of all 3 fans.

Yakuza_devils

And Barcelona who he's also been linked to cannot even pay the groundsmen right now so that rules them out.

If the report was to believe a release clause has been paid and it's maximum confidentiality. It's almost 90% us because I can't think of any other club he has been linked with still has something to play.

quadrant

Their season hasn't finished yet.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Could well be he'll be announced at Juve when Serie A ends.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
If Juve take RDZ, then we should go for Motta. If they go for Motta then there's a good chance RDZ is coming here. I'd be happy with either.
I'd like to see him at united, I think he would be a good fit.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It won’t be us. More likely an overseas club, or else I’m sure someone would have leaked something in the UK. Also, would we really be paying compensation for a manager knowing we’d need to compensate EtH plus sort out the Ashworth compensation.

spiriticon

I think he's as risky as keeping Ten Hag but if his teams can actually defend, I'm all for it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It won’t be us. More likely an overseas club, or else I’m sure someone would have leaked something in the UK. Also, would we really be paying compensation for a manager knowing we’d need to compensate EtH plus sort out the Ashworth compensation.
Think that's unavoidable unless they intend on keeping ETH, which I'm not convinced even the Glazers would have done right now. £10m for Ashworth, £6.25m for ETH, £4m for RDZ...£20m should be easily affordable to us to get the manager and director we want. If we're genuinely stuck for money then the problem is way worse than any of us imagine.

As somebody else pointed out, ETH has shown he's not really going anywhere with what we've got. If we're stuck for money and can't sign him an amazing team, then it's a lost cause anyway. So it surely makes sense to sign a manager that can get more out of what we have, plus a couple of additions. Tuchel is apparently convinced we have good players that he can work with.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Think that's unavoidable unless they intend on keeping ETH, which I'm not convinced even the Glazers would have done right now. £10m for Ashworth, £6.25m for ETH, £4m for RDZ...£20m should be easily affordable to us to get the manager and director we want. If we're genuinely stuck for money then the problem is way worse than any of us imagine.

As somebody else pointed out, ETH has shown he's not really going anywhere with what we've got. If we're stuck for money and can't sign him an amazing team, then it's a lost cause anyway. So it surely makes sense to sign a manager that can get more out of what we have, plus a couple of additions. Tuchel is apparently convinced we have good players that he can work with.
Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. I just think that if it was us (or another English club), that the media would have received a leak from someone by now - whether on the Brighton side of the deal - or from our side (*insert OT leak joke here*). Brighton would have zero impetus to keep things quiet from their side - least not for us to focus on a cup final.

But you're right, I don't think the money would ultimately be an issue if it meant getting the people they want - within reason of course (not like Newcastle's initial ask for Ashworth). RDZ definitely falls in that category (supposedly) for Berrada. I still don't think it's to us, or any other English club for the reason(s) mentioned above, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

crossy1686

career ending
Really hope it's not us. Started really well with Brighton but has faded since and his sides always look as likely to take a pasting as to hand one out. Would much prefer someone more proven.
They've had massive injury issues and don't have the depth that we have. Some of their players have been out since March. They started Welbeck and Lallana against us and out played us for most of the game. I wouldn't put much stock in how they've faded over the course of the season.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Also, would we really be paying compensation for a manager knowing we’d need to compensate EtH plus sort out the Ashworth compensation.
I don't think you'd have to pay compensation for RDZ now he's parted ways with Brighton. From a Brighton perspective he clearly had his head turned, was struggling operating within the parameters of our model and wouldn't guarantee he'd stay. The club don't want a repeat of Potter leaving at the beginning of a season to go to Chelsea so agreed to part ways now rather than later, almost a soft sacking!

Brighton give up any compensation from him leaving mid contract, but have enough time to have someone in the door quite quickly, so we have a smooth transition and full pre season with the new manager.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They've had massive injury issues and don't have the depth that we have. Some of their players have been out since March. They started Welbeck and Lallana against us and out played us for most of the game. I wouldn't put much stock in how they've faded over the course of the season.
Plus they’ve had Europe to battle with which like you said they don’t have the depth to. If he can implement his style here and make us play out from the back then that would be an upgrade on what we’re seeing. The only issue I have with De Zerbi is that when his teams lose they usually lose ugly but if he was here and turned us into a dominant team then we shouldn’t really concede much.

crossy1686

career ending
Brighton really are all about the money, aren't they? I know they're a small club but that's laughable compared to what players are on.
Is it? They're opportunists. Potter was managing in the Championship when they signed him, and De Zerbi was desperate to get out of Ukraine because a war was kicking off. On top of that, they have all this footballing structure behind the manager doing traditional managerial activities. You want to delegate your job role? You'll have to delegate the salary also.

crossy1686

career ending
Plus they’ve had Europe to battle with which like you said they don’t have the depth to. If he can implement his style here and make us play out from the back then that would be an upgrade on what we’re seeing. The only issue I have with De Zerbi is that when his teams lose they usually lose ugly but if he was here and turned us into a dominant team then we shouldn’t really concede much.
I'm obviously concerned that when they lose, they seem to get battered, it's not all great of course but the takeaway for me is you've got players like Milner, Lallana, Welbeck, Dunk etc all playing great football, and yet we can't do that because we 'don't have the players' for it, and they create chances no matter who's in the team. It's absolutely clear how they want to play.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
@The Boy yeah I'm probably misunderstanding something here but the statement released by TDZ and Brighton sounded like a "by mutual consent" - i.e. there'd be no compensation needing to be paid, but then a day later someone posted the above tweet, which is what everyone has been discussing.
I wouldn't believe a word of it. But I hope it's true more cash for Brighton!

quadrant

@The Boy yeah I'm probably misunderstanding something here but the statement released by TDZ and Brighton sounded like a "by mutual consent" - i.e. there'd be no compensation needing to be paid, but then a day later someone posted the above tweet, which is what everyone has been discussing.
I wouldnt read too much into "mutual consent", which is a nothing term. It could easily mean an offer came in and both club and manager were happy to accept it. Not saying this is what happened necessarily, just that its not mutually exclusive with the tweet above.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I wouldnt read too much into "mutual consent", which is a nothing term. It could easily mean an offer came in and both club and manager were happy to accept it. Not saying this is what happened necessarily, just that its not mutually exclusive with the tweet above.
Yep, agreed about the terminology as well.

The Firestarter

Tbf it would be in our usual style to insist on paying the release for a guy that's already sacked. Squires sketches draw themselves.

Yakuza_devils

I think he's as risky as keeping Ten Hag but if his teams can actually defend, I'm all for it.
For a start, train the team to concede less cut back goal. I swear every damn time opponent cut back will result in us conceding goal.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It says "supports Bristol Rovers" in your profile!

Did a cheeky mod put it there? Apologies if so.
Thank you. It could have been me some time ago when I set up my profile.
I certainly used to watch Bristol Rovers a long time ago at the old Eastville Stadium. And occasionally watch at the Memorial Stadium.
But my number 1 love is Manchester United.

A cheeky mod did put Go on Didier when I posted about the Alan Green commentary on the Drogba CL penalty.
Should actually have been Come on Didier.

Are you from Bristol?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Thank you. It could have been me some time ago when I set up my profile.
I certainly used to watch Bristol Rovers a long time ago at the old Eastville Stadium. And occasionally watch at the Memorial Stadium.
But my number 1 love is Manchester United.

A cheeky mod did put Go on Didier when I posted about the Alan Green commentary on the Drogba CL penalty.
Should actually have been Come on Didier.

Are you from Bristol?
Went to University there in the late 90s, worked in a pub on Gloucester Road for a couple of years and went to a few Rovers games. I was never a true Gashead though!