Rodri | Man City player

padr81

Supports
Man City
These feckers City. They go from replacing aguero to haaland, kompany to diaz, silva to bernado silva, fernandinho to rodri. I mean, talk about succession planning ffs.

Is it that Txixi fella thats in charge of their recruitment?
For the most part yeah, but I think they've had a few howlers early too whilst settling in and understanding the English game. But whats noticeable is Haaland and Kun, Fernandinho and Rodri are vastly different players in the same positions. The two Silvas and CB's are more alike.

In general I think its a case of give Pep good players who he can mold into something he sees for them and he'll make them great.
But there have been plenty of Philips, Bravo, Mendys too.

RVN1991

These feckers City. They go from replacing aguero to haaland, kompany to diaz, silva to bernado silva, fernandinho to rodri. I mean, talk about succession planning ffs.

Is it that Txixi fella thats in charge of their recruitment?
I miss when they were throwing big money for trash like Mangala. At least the league felt a little bit more competitive.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
For the most part yeah, but I think they've had a few howlers early too whilst settling in and understanding the English game. But whats noticeable is Haaland and Kun, Fernandinho and Rodri are vastly different players in the same positions. The two Silvas and CB's are more alike.

In general I think its a case of give Pep good players who he can mold into something he sees for them and he'll make them great.
But there have been plenty of Philips, Bravo, Mendys too.
I'll add Nolito and maybe Grealish
5 misses in 8yrs is still amazing. Even many might disagree on Grealish Nolito and even Mendy(off the field issues)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Best in his role in the world and literally a monster mentality wise. It's weird how in a team with KDB and Haaland he's the one player who constantly drags us over the line.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Best in his role in the world and literally a monster mentality wise. It's weird how in a team with KDB and Haaland he's the one player who constantly drags us over the line.
Not over the line today but would have been quite ridiculous had that deflected header gone in.

Maclooch

How Doku was left to play the full 90 is funny to me. Herky-jerky one trick pony that was figured out early in the game.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I knew when Poch chose to sub off the attackers and settle for the 1-0 that Rodri would score. This prick has developed a very annoying habit of scoring incredibly clutch goals .

Garnacho's Shoelaces

59 games. 395 days. That's when Manchester City midfielder Rodri last tasted defeat in blue.

City's 3-1 win over Manchester United at Etihad Stadium on Sunday means the 27-year-old is now on the longest unbeaten run in all competitions of any Premier League player past or present.
"It is difficult to understand what we have done in recent years without him. It would've been difficult," City boss Pep Guardiola told the club's website last month.

The run surpasses that of former Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho (58 games), with Rodri's last loss in a City shirt coming against Tottenham in February 2023 - although it does include City's defeat on penalties by Arsenal in the Community Shield.

In that time City have won the Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup along with the Uefa Super Cup and the Club World Cup, while Rodri was also part of the Spain team that won the Nations League.

The holding midfielder signed from Atletico Madrid in 2019 for £62.5m in the hope that he would eventually step into the boots of former captain Fernandinho.

Like his predecessor, Rodri's role at City is one that tends to fly under the radar, with the likes of Erling Haaland and Kevin de Bruyne taking the headlines. But according to players, pundits and his manager along with the stats, his significance in City's exploits in recent years cannot be overstated.

Rodri scored in the 68th minute against Inter Milan to help Manchester City win a maiden Champions League title

'What can't this guy do?'
Pep Guardiola says Rodri is "unbelievable" and "the best midfield player, currently, in the world by far".

A humble guy with no social media who studied for a business degree while also assisting City to their fifth Premier League title in 2021 - his second with the club - Rodri does not often receive the plaudits.

"He's the one who allows your De Bruyne's, Phil Foden's and Bernardo Silva's to do what they do because he's so good," said former City forward Paul Dickov on BBC Radio 5 Live.

Guardiola said the holding midfielder should "never, ever be in the highlights" and "do the job he has to do".

"The highlights have to belong to other people. The holding midfielder has to think for the rest of the team and do not expect the recognition. But internally? All team-mates and staff, they all know how important and decisive he is. Massively important for us," the City boss added.

But it is the compliments he receives from his peers which provide the bigger picture.

"It is just a joy to share a football pitch with him," said Luton captain Tom Lockyer on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"You don't say that about a lot of players but he was certainly one of them where you come off the pitch and you go 'wow'. When you're on a pitch with him you're just thinking 'what can't this guy do?'

"He's just a Rolls Royce. When you thought you had him pressed and were going to nick the ball, you weren't, he was just teasing you in so the person who got next pass had more time on the ball. Those are the sort of games he plays. It is very rare he gets caught on the ball and he just dictates everything that Manchester City do."

When it comes to individual awards, there are City players more likely to win them. But for the big moments on the pitch, he is as prolific as any of them.

It was perhaps fitting, then, that it was Rodri who struck the only goal against Inter Milan in Turkey last year to win Manchester City a first Champions League title and complete a historic Treble.

"With him, we are a better team," said Guardiola. "No doubt."

Man City in all competitions since Rodri's 59-game unbeaten run started (12 Feb 2023)
StatWith RodriWithout Rodri
Games5911
Wins476
Draws120
Losses05
Goals for15324
Average goals for2.62.2
Goals against4610
Average goals against0.80.9
Win percentage79.7%54.5%

Rodri leads the passing stats
Manchester City are famed for their passing football under Guardiola, the masters of dominating possession.

At the heart of that is Rodri, with the Spaniard topping the charts for most passes attempted and completed by any midfielder across all competitions since his unbeaten run began.

He has the most successful passes per 90 minutes in Europe's big-five leagues this season and in recent seasons has started to add goals and assists, with seven goals and six assists for City this season.

City's record when Rodri is not in the team speaks volumes, too.

When he was suspended after receiving a red card against Nottingham Forest earlier this season, Guardiola's side lost all three games without him - at Newcastle, Wolves and Arsenal.

"Everything City do in the build-up starts from Ederson but Rodri is involved at some stage, whether it's getting it off the back four or pushing up a little bit," said Dickov.

"The biggest compliment to him is how important his team-mates think he is. He puts fires out left, right and centre when City don't have the ball but when he does he's just phenomenal."
Rodri: Manchester City's invincible & 'best midfielder in the world' - BBC Sport

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's like James Milner and Yaya Toure had a baby. Always seems to charge in with a vital goal when they need it but he comes across as a boring twat with his tucked in t-shirt.

Rojofiam

He's definitely not the best midfielder in the world.

He's top 2-3 in his position who would look way worse without all the protection Stones and others around him provide.

Funny how he only started receiving these shouts when Pep tweaked his system to basically have Stones next to him for most of the game and not leave Rodri in a single-pivot for the whole 90 minutes.

He also has this image as this kind, humble guy whilst every game he's acting like a twat when his hidden rage and aggression shows itself for a few moments.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Say this again please, but this time without crying.

Gordon's Hill

He's definitely not the best midfielder in the world.

He's top 2-3 in his position who would look way worse without all the protection Stones and others around him provide.

Funny how he only started receiving these shouts when Pep tweaked his system to basically have Stones next to him for most of the game and not leave Rodri in a single-pivot for the whole 90 minutes.

He also has this image as this kind, humble guy whilst every game he's acting like a twat when his hidden rage and aggression shows itself for a few moments.
Its weird in this thread why we need to constantly put down other team's players. Imagine if he played for us, he would be a cult here. As for tweaking the formation to not leave players exposed, imagine if we had a coach who could do that? Lets get some class in here

RoyH1

He is a massive sore loser. Did the same after we beat them (Scotland vs Spain).
Old Atletico Madrid boy so it checks out. Sore losing is part of their DNA.

In another note what happened to Rodri's eyebrows? Saw some picture of him as a young player and he had a normal looking set. Is it a hairdresser thing?

Rojofiam

Its weird in this thread why we need to constantly put down other team's players. Imagine if he played for us, he would be a cult here. As for tweaking the formation to not leave players exposed, imagine if we had a coach who could do that? Lets get some class in here
Putting him down? I said he's a top 2-3 DM in the world, but "definitely not the best midfielder in the world". I really don't think the likes of Rice or Tchouaméni would be any worse in this City side.

And if we're talking generally about midfielders, there's De Jong, Bellingham, De Bruyne, and Pedri I'd consider more valuable than him.

If he played for us, I'd be of the exact same opinion.

QuietOn Fortune

De Jong is so overrated.

Its like people still see his potential rather than know what age he is now.

Reminds me of Verrati.

Posh Red

Putting him down? I said he's a top 2-3 DM in the world, but "definitely not the best midfielder in the world". I really don't think the likes of Rice or Tchouaméni would be any worse in this City side.

And if we're talking generally about midfielders, there's De Jong, Bellingham, De Bruyne, and Pedri I'd consider more valuable than him.

If he played for us, I'd be of the exact same opinion.
Rice is nowhere near Rodri with the ball. It’s night and day.

ROFLUTION

Any watchers of La Liga who can tell who the closest players to Rodri is? We could use one

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Any watchers of La Liga who can tell who the closest players to Rodri is? We could use one
Nobody. There is no midfielder remotely close to him right now in the world. The fact City haven't lost a game with him on the pitch in like 2 years should tell you all you need to know

Mike Smalling

His passing range and composure reminds me a bit of Carrick, but Rodri is obviously a lot stronger and better defensively.

I don't know if he will ever be recognised as such, but I think he is probably one of the very best players in the world. Not flashy or exciting, but makes as big a difference to his team than anyone else.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I was looking at his stats this season and the guy is playing like a world class 6, 8 and maybe 10 as well. It's insane how he is dominating in all aspects of being a midfielder.

He's always been a great defensive midfielder but this season he's upped his goalscoring to take himself to another level.

Marwood

It's gone out of the game as a tactic but just man mark him. Put an athletic player on him all game. He's so clearly the main man for City. Both on stats and the eye test. Shut him down and let's see how that affects City.