Rodri | Man City player

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bang bang average.

Looks slow, weak passing, doesn't really seem to add much to City.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I remember thinking last season that City dodged a bullet missing out on Jorginho but then there's this guy...

cyberman

Worst signing of the Pep era? He is just painfully slow and struggles against the transitions.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Worst signing of the Pep era? He is just painfully slow and struggles against the transitions.
Worst signing I don't think so. Stones is a Pep signing after all as is Mendy.
Pep insistence on him playing #6 as a Busquets clone is backfiring. He looks ok when Fernandinho is beside him. Not cut of for a DM in the Premier League, way too slow and lacks agility. There was a moment when Harvey Barnes ran through on goal today I could have strangled him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I didnt watch the match but I've been questioning him for ages.

Absolutely nothing on Fernandinho.

cyberman

Bit weird to single him out. Been one of the better players today and generally had a solid first season.
Teams have spent 18 months sailing by him to get at the heart of their defence. He adds nothing going forward or backwards. He hasnt got the pace to cover enough ground

Chief123

He looks absolutely shite. Shocking signing.

As soon as he took Fernandinho off instead of Rodri, game was lost.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s not a sole DM in that city side, he’s just not capable of it. The persistence with doing it is not his fault. He’s a pretty good player but he’s doing a job he’s wholly unsuited for.

cyberman

in a world where Danilo, Cancelo, Mendy, Bravo and Nolito exist, that’s very harsh.
But Rodri plays in a vital position for them. They actually have to rely on Rodri and thats why he stands out to me. He is a huge factor in costing them games.
Feck me Pep has signed some dross by the way.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He’s not a sole DM in that city side, he’s just not capable of it. The persistence with doing it is not his fault. He’s a pretty good player but he’s doing a job he’s wholly unsuited for.
So what is he suited for?

predator

Youth NITK
I dont even know why he was born.

Nah seriously though lads he's only 24 and he's obviously a solid player that will either look terrible when his team loses or will not get recognition when they win.
I think its abit naieve to call him a flop right now.
Then again, what does Simeone, Guardiola and Enrique know that kneejerkcafe doesn't?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Top 10 Most Possession Won in PL (Midfield + Final Third)

1. Rodri (103)
2. Bissouma (85)
3. Ward Prowse (83)
4. Tielemans (82)
5. Romeu (82)
6. Rice (80)
7. Anguissa (79)
8. Soucek (78)
9. Højbjerg (77)
10. Kante (75)

This doesn't include this game but crazy to think he's a dominate possession base team and has won that many possession the gap is close from 10 to 2nd then 2nd to 1st

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Nice bump tbf.

It was such a pointless signing, they already had Walker and they lost the versatility of Danilo too.
But this on Cancelo still must be the worst take in this very thread. Hindsight is everything!

padr81

Supports
Man City
Weirdly he has really turned it around along with Gundogan and Cancelo. 3 players I slaughtered last year. Rodri still has a mistake in him but who'd have thought Pep might know a decent midfielder after all.

One thing I've noticed of all our signings under Pep is a lot of them take a full year to adjust and look very poor in their first 12 months.

Rodri, Cancelo, Bernardo, Mahrez, Stones (took a bit longer) all had the same issue. I still feel tactically Mahrez is a poor fit.

Chief123

Top 10 Most Possession Won in PL (Midfield + Final Third)

1. Rodri (103)
2. Bissouma (85)
3. Ward Prowse (83)
4. Tielemans (82)
5. Romeu (82)
6. Rice (80)
7. Anguissa (79)
8. Soucek (78)
9. Højbjerg (77)
10. Kante (75)

This doesn't include this game but crazy to think he's a dominate possession base team and has won that many possession the gap is close from 10 to 2nd then 2nd to 1st
All this highlights is stats can be a curve ball. Rodri still looks bang average majority of the time and is nowhere near as influential or effective as Fernandinho was.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
All this highlights is stats can be a curve ball. Rodri still looks bang average majority of the time and is nowhere near as influential or effective as Fernandinho was.
I don't think you've been watching City a lot this season, he's been great in the past 2 months at least...
He's not the same type of player as Fernandinho either.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Weirdly he has really turned it around along with Gundogan and Cancelo. 3 players I slaughtered last year. Rodri still has a mistake in him but who'd have thought Pep might know a decent midfielder after all.

One thing I've noticed of all our signings under Pep is a lot of them take a full year to adjust and look very poor in their first 12 months.

Rodri, Cancelo, Bernardo, Mahrez, Stones (took a bit longer) all had the same issue. I still feel tactically Mahrez is a poor fit.
All three have been really good recently. I think Cancelo has surprised me the most. I struggled initially to see what he offered and what he was about, but he's not only been playing well I also think he's become pretty vital. He's very much a pep player in the positions he takes up and how he uses the ball.

West Brom were woeful tonight, but I thought City were about as good as it gets tonight. The first half in particular was such a dominant display, and had all the hallmarks of a pep side at it's best. I thought they looked lost not that long ago but they've really clicked into gear.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
You're mistake is comparing him to Fernandinho, he isn't the same mould of a player and will never be, but Pep has made certain tactical adjustments to get the better out of him.

padr81

Supports
Man City
All three have been really good recently. I think Cancelo has surprised me the most. I struggled initially to see what he offered and what he was about, but he's not only been playing well I also think he's become pretty vital. He's very much a pep player in the positions he takes up and how he uses the ball.

West Brom were woeful tonight, but I thought City were about as good as it gets tonight. The first half in particular was such a dominant display, and had all the hallmarks of a pep side at it's best. I thought they looked lost not that long ago but they've really clicked into gear.
Yeah, I thought it was our best half for awhile if I'm honest and signs that their is life after our Mancini core finally. We've been so reliant on Aguero, Silva and Kompany for years, this seems to be the first team we have that isn't built around them. Cancelo has shocked me, I dunno why, but he was one I had completely written off, thought he'd never displace Walker. I think Pep said there was words during the covid break and Cancelo arrived back a new man or something to that effect. He's still risky defensively at times but he's phenomenal on the ball and we've found a role that really suits him.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He’s less exposed now by City’s tactics and seems to quietly be doing quite well. Last season, using him as a like for like replacement for Fernandinho as the lone DM was a disaster and the main reason City dropped off so badly.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
It is, must be the highlight of your life
:lol: Don't need to get so salty. It was just a post that came up as one of the first based on my last read messages, and if there is anything one could say (this season!) about Cancelo is that his versatility is one of his biggest assets. He basically replaced KdB in yesterday's lineup in terms of chance creation from the halfspaces.

Anyway, back on topic. Obviously neither Cancelo, nor Rodri are as shit as some thought after their first seasons, then again it's still too early to judge both of them.

Pep's Suit

Slowly improving. Obviously can't play Fernandinho's role but looks so much better in this 4-2-3-1 / 4-1-4-1 system.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
One of the best goal saving tackles/blocks I've ever seen.