Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Smores

Bollocks. That's the essence of silly whataboutism, whether you ask to be forgiven for it or not. There are sanctions on Russia which doesn't become invalid because of every other problem in the world that hasn't been solved.
That isn't what he said though is it? If we're sanctioning Roman (as we should) we should go after Newcastle too.

Time to get rid of the lot of them and having our morals bought.

Cloud7

Can we spin this to bring in a few of their players at United? Rudiger, Kovacic, Jorginho and Mount would be great to have :devil:

Smithy89

Roman and Chelsea started the nonsense that is oil money and stupidly rich groups controlling and buying clubs, good riddance.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rudiger, Christenson and Azpi would all be available on a free in the summer if it goes on that long, back line sorted
Christensen is as good as gone anyway. He's had his medical at Barca and apparently agreed to his contract. Azpi was likely leaving too, also to Barca. It's the Rudiger contract that could be the big casualty here, as by all accounts it seemed like he might renew his contract.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
They can't sell tickets. Could they give them away for free? They're not going to make any money, but they might as well still have full stadiums?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The chances that Chelsea's status quo remains for very long are absolutely nill.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
You got really lucky being picked by a billionaire so I guess you've got some bad luck due.
There is being unlucky and there is whatever this situation is :lol:

This is unprecedented stuff. Feels genuinely surreal reading these reports.

sewey89

Just said that now...you won't think that's a thing to do, but somehow I feel it won't happen.
I think they're stupid not to do it (if it's an option).

Obviously they couldn't sell food or anything, so you'd just have to set your stall out. Give a load of tickets to schools, charities, membership holders etc

Djemba-Djemba

Chelsea fans must have always known there was a decent chance something like this would happen.

When you're owned by a crook it's always going to be dodgy and there'll be a risk of disaster.

You got 19 years of glory but there was always a good chance having him as owner would come back to haunt you.

Brophs

The One and Only
I think they're stupid not to do it (if it's an option).

Obviously they couldn't sell food or anything, so you'd just have to set your stall out. Give a load of tickets to schools, charities, membership holders etc
They have a £500k limit on what they can spend to put on a match. May not be possible to bring in thousands of non-paying fans with the increased costs that might bring?

cyberman

it can. It'd require special dispensation, and RA would receive zero of the sale fee. A sale can most certainly happen
Not sure how that works. He can’t legally sign anything over now. Otherwise just give it to a patsy and retain control?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Exclusive: Chelsea CAN still be sold by Roman Abramovich provided none of the proceeds benefit the Russian oligarch, a government source has told
@iPaperSport
. Government will consider an application for a licence to sell. In dialogue with #CFC.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans must have always known there was a decent chance something like this would happen.

When you're owned by a crook it's always going to be dodgy and there'll be a risk of disaster.
Yep, I always knew Russia would invade Ukraine and my football club would end up being part of the collateral damage.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This matters relatively little what they feel. Governments lose cases in court all the time.

The key issue for me here is the arbitrary seizure of one's assets based on their proximity to someone else. Public sentiment has been a key driver in this issue but that will be of no concern of the court.
No shit?
That’ll be the whole point of court..

Brophs

The One and Only
If you look at the mechanism Abramovich tried to implement with the trustees and then the sale of the club, I suspect he’s known for a while what sanctions he was going to face. They line up a little too well.

sewey89

They have a £500k limit on what they can spend to put on a match. May not be possible to bring in thousands of non-paying fans with the increased costs that might bring?
Ah ok.. I'd missed that bit. That's that then I guess.

Djemba-Djemba

Yep, I always knew Russia would invade Ukraine and my football club would end up being part of the collateral damage.
No but there was always a chance of something dramatic happening.

Police arresting him, Putin killing him etc.

It was always dodgy money funding your success.

He's a crook.

allen7

Think it’s pretty much just over for chelsea on it’s birthday

Tarrou

Sale is frozen? And if the news about Russia taking over production plants of western corporations in their country becomes true, then the UK govt would be taking over these Russian frozen assets.
the government has no interest in damaging Chelsea football club, obviously

they'll be sold to the highest bidder within a few months

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
No but there was always a chance of something dramatic happening.

Police arresting him, Putin killing him etc.

He's a crook.
I suppose yes, but the government freezing my football club is still way down on the list of things I could have reasonably expected to happen.

justsomebloke

Exclusive: Chelsea CAN still be sold by Roman Abramovich provided none of the proceeds benefit the Russian oligarch, a government source has told
@iPaperSport
. Government will consider an application for a licence to sell. In dialogue with #CFC.
So, he can sell it, provided he doesn't receive any income from it? That seems in practice to amount to something very similar to "can't sell it".

TheGame

Bollocks. That's the essence of silly whataboutism, whether you ask to be forgiven for it or not. There are sanctions on Russia which doesn't become invalid because of every other problem in the world that hasn't been solved.
It's not bollocks. Many people have a right to question by the country bombing innocent people in Yemen have ties to the people taking over Newcastle.

marktan

Wonder if he managed to sell all his London properties in the time they gave him?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
One normal day following Chelsea is all I ask. Just one.