Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
What are the chances that Chelsea could have any titles stripped?

I presume they have seized Chelsea as they have some evidence of dodgy dealings, from a legal point of view. Thus if dodgy dealings, does this suggest that dodgy money helped fund winning titles, etc?

If they have that Champions league stipped, Man City would have technically won the Treble?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You may be right but the government know full well they have to prove it in court - they obviously feel like they have a strong enough case.
This matters relatively little what they feel. Governments lose cases in court all the time.

The key issue for me here is the arbitrary seizure of one's assets based on their proximity to someone else. Public sentiment has been a key driver in this issue but that will be of no concern of the court.

Brophs

The One and Only
A mechanism will be arrived at whereby the club will be disposed of without tangible benefit to Abramovich, whether that’s by means of charitable donations or trusts or otherwise. This is just the opening salvo.

pascell

So technically, fans can't buy anything from the concession stands as Chelsea won't legally be able to sell anything?

Is this likely to cause contractual problems with those companies who pay Chelsea to sell their products?

RonaldoVII

I presume they have seized Chelsea as they have some evidence of dodgy dealings, from a legal point of view. Thus if dodgy dealings, does this suggest that dodgy money helped fund winning titles, etc?

If they have that Champions league stipped, Man City would have technically won the Treble?
Can't see it. Sanctions are against Abramovich rather than Chelsea itself.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
OK, looks as if they cant be sold whilst under this license. Going to be tough for Chelsea now.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Very light on content. 'Associated' and 'financial benefit' could be anything; additionally don't rich individuals in the UK/US/West also get this sort of treatment?

Coming away from Chelsea for a moment, I hope they actually have some concreate proof that he isn't able to counter and say is common practice in big business as otherwise he'll take the Govt/taxpayer's to the cleaners in a court of law if they don't.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Don't see why that would need to be the case. It's an asset belonging to a sanctioned individual but that doesn't mean the club itself did anything wrong in a footballing sense. Nor does the government need the club to have made any "dodgy dealings" to take action against its owner.

Brophs

The One and Only
This matters relatively little what they feel. Governments lose cases in court all the time.

The key issue for me here is the arbitrary seizure of one's assets based on their proximity to someone else. Public sentiment has been a key driver in this issue but that will be of no concern of the court.
Indeed. The most common thing is for the initial seizure to be used to leverage an agreement without the need to test it in Court. The supply of steel to the army doesn’t look the most robust argument to me.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Can't we mod the whataboutism and the debates on the war in the CE forum and keep this thread mainly about what that means for Chelsea? Surely not being able to sell tickets is a disaster, how much of their regular match day attendencies is from season ticket holders?

macheda14

Roman =/= Chelsea.

justsomebloke

There's a pretty well-established precedent for this type of sanctions though. It's not like they were invented in the current crisis. And it'd be surprising if they have never previously been legally challenged (presumably without success).

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, Seizing someone's assets because they are friends with someone the government doesn't like is always the basis for sound Government policies.
The amount of people that don't seem to understand it is not just about being acquainted to Putin. It is how these characters made their money through very possible shady dealings with the Russian government, how they may have benefited financially by backing the Russian regime for decades. They could be considered a bit more than just casual mates. A lot of people suffered and are still suffering poverty and worse under the Russian regime, these oligarchs potentially contributed very much to that and are therefore being now very closely scrutinised.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If Chelsea can't pay player wages through TV revenues, sponsorships because the club's cashflow is frozen, or Abramovich's pockets, how exactly can the club be expected to continue paying these salaries?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Get off your high horse, I don't support Putin but I don't support blaming people who have nothing to do with the war.

The last people to do that were the NAZIs.
Unless I’m mistaken, the sanction relates to him providing steel to help build tanks, therefore finding a war. This isn’t a decision taken lightly. Putin is committing war crimes and Abramovich is funding him. This has nothing to do with Chelsea.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Forgive my Whataboutism.

The Uk government takes action on this, but let the mass murderers take over Newcastle. If you're going to make a stand against something then make a stand.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Can't we mod the whataboutism and the debates on the war in the CE forum and keep this thread mainly about what that means for Chelsea? Surely not being able to sell tickets is a disaster, how much of their regular match day attendencies is from season ticket holders?
But it's only to May, right?

Pintu

Chelsea as a club is not sanctioned. Roman is.

And even if Chelsea were sanctionned. Uefa want care, Uefa doesn't take away CL titles. When Marseille got relegated by the french association in 93, they were replaced by CL finalist Milan in the Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup but they kept their trophy and title as european champions.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Forgive my Whataboutism.

The Uk government takes action on this, but let the mass murderers take over Newcastle. If you're going to make a stand against something then make a stand.
I agree.

If they are doing this for the correct and right moral reasons then don't just stop at Chelsea, sort out all of the English Clubs and make it law who can own football clubs.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Very light on content. 'Associated' and 'financial benefit' could be anything; additionally don't rich individuals in the UK/US/West also get this sort of treatment?

Coming away from Chelsea for a moment, I hope they actually have some concreate proof that he isn't able to counter and say is common practice in big business as otherwise he'll take the Govt/taxpayer's to the cleaners in a court of law if they don't.
oh there will no doubt be some of the most expensive lawyers money can buy looking into it as we speak