Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I have found that quite a few people using the term ''whataboutism'' on redcafe don't understand what it actually is. Whataboutism is an attempt to justify or to make wrongdoing appear less serious by pointing at others who are also involved in wrongdoing, or to argue that the person accusing you is just as bad. Being in full agreement with the sanctions on russia while questioning why the same standards aren't being applied elsewhere isn't whataboutism.
Thanks!

cyberman

Saw this on Reddit

Well Roman is now a majority shareholder in Evraz, the steel company who’s supplying it to the military for the tanks and vehicles, he transferred his shares directly to himself from an offshore company 8 days before the Ukraine invasion. For the government that’s absolutely black and white in terms of being directly involved with the Ukraine war.

Honestly think there’s a few Chelsea fans on here who need to address a few of their previous posts now

justsomebloke

But they're okay with the City and Newcastle ownership?

The Premier League are just as crooked and bent as the rest of them.
The PL has nothing whatsoever to do with this. Chelsea is affected because of of UK Government sanctions against him, in the same way as other assets he owns.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As said by others, I hope the club ends up in a fan ownership structure.
Whatever happens, I'll still be around here chatting shit. I suppose I can look forward to being a true neutral oppo fan on here supporting a midtable club.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
So Chelsea won't have visiting fans for the remainder of the PL? Does this also count for their CL home games?

What % of Stamford Bridge's seats are season ticket holders? Would be funny if they had to play their games in front of a 50% capacity, although City doesn't seem to have a problem with that.
29k out of a 41k capacity according to talk sport. Though I imagine they’ll get round it by gifting tickets to fans to ensure a full stadium

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
This is fun. I’m really enjoying this. Hope this goes on for a while and the club gets completely ruined.
What and people who have nothing to do with this situation all lose their jobs? Grow up.

cyberman

29k out of a 41k capacity according to talk sport. Though I imagine they’ll get round it by gifting tickets to fans to ensure a full stadium
They cant. That will increase costs on an already stupidly small budget.

Infra-red

Chelsea have benefitted from Abramovich's ill-gotten gains for many years - some sort of reckoning was always possible while the club was owned by such a dubious individual.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
They let a murderous STATE take over a football club. If that's not an emergent sporting issue for the government then I don't know what is.

My anger was initially confined to the PL but now that the government have seen fit to get involved in this then it opens up a ton of other questions.
Could you not make an argument that the UK and US are also culpable of invasive wars in that case? And sanction them too?

choccy77

It can't be fair that Chelsea will be allowed to play games with no away fans.

Strictly speaking could Chelsea not just allocate X amount of free tickets for away teams or technically even home fans to have full stadium?

Supporters trust are asking for percentage of sale goes to them and also for Government to consult with them before applying sanctions (mental request)

The Government in my view should now take ownership and sell to a new owner for a fixed price, that forces Roman out and also the money from sale all goes to support Ukrain.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
EPL is rotten to the core. Let's not just laugh at Chelsea when you have the likes of City, Newcastle knocking around. State sanctioned sports washing is an ugly ugly stain on the EPL. I just look at the whole product now and think it's all pretty disgusting.
This!

When I hear pundits fawning over City, putting aside my obvious bias as a United fan, I find it completely mind boggling! Don't they know why City have been able to do this and where that money has come from?!

arnie_ni

the government has no interest in damaging Chelsea football club, obviously

they'll be sold to the highest bidder within a few months
All receipts are frozen though. How much money do they have in the bank to pay wages etc until a sale does go through?

macheda14

But they're okay with the City and Newcastle ownership?

The Premier League are just as crooked and bent as the rest of them.
It isn't the prem doing this its the government. Roman is being sanctioned because - ABRAMOVICH is or has been involved in destabilising Ukraine and undermining and threatening the territorial integrity, sovereignty and independence of Ukraine, via Evraz PLC, a steel manufacturing and mining company. As well as his long standing ties to Putin.

Yes City and Newcastle's owners should probably be sanctioned. BUT the UK supply SA with arms and therefore aren't going to be sanctioning them for their war crimes in Yemen when they are complicit.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Whatever happens, I'll still be around here chatting shit. I suppose I can look forward to being a true neutral oppo fan on here supporting a midtable club.
You can keep us United fans company :D

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Saw this on Reddit

Well Roman is now a majority shareholder in Evraz, the steel company who’s supplying it to the military for the tanks and vehicles, he transferred his shares directly to himself from an offshore company 8 days before the Ukraine invasion. For the government that’s absolutely black and white in terms of being directly involved with the Ukraine war.

Honestly think there’s a few Chelsea fans on here who need to address a few of their previous posts now
More than a few had their heads buried in the sand.

cyberman

All receipts are frozen though. How much money do they have in the bank to pay wages etc until a sale does go through?
That’s what’s being lost here. They are obligated to play the maximum in expenditure while receiving nothing in income. Unless there’s relief somewhere they will run out of cash very quickly.

choccy77

This the issue, how he was allowed to buy the club is staggering, same goes for the glazers, abu dhabi, saudis and the list goes on, absolute farcical.
Glazers are not funding murderers.

They are simply murdering Manchester United FC.

They are business people making money for themselves.

Huge difference.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
But the US or UK have not bought a PL football club. Yet...
But rich people from that country have, like Abramovic.
Don’t get me wrong, I think this is absolutely the moral and ethical thing to do. But you’re transferring what’s happening with abramovic to all clubs, no doubt because it suits your interests as a football fan, which doesn’t quite make sense.

Smithy89

Glazers are not funding murderers.

They are simply murdering Manchester United FC.

They are business people making money for themselves.

Huge difference.
The way they bought the club was ridiculous, i wasn't really comparing the two situations.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It is not Whataboutism. You have every right to point out what seems to be double standards... But there isn't one actually.

The government doesn't care about owners with blood money. The war crimes (see Yemen) committed by other owners do not matter. That's why half of the money circulating in the PL has very shady (and despicable) origins. But right now the government is applying pressure on Putin's regime because the UK is against the war Putin has waged over Ukraine. Chelsea is one of the regime's tools and it makes sense to take action against all of the regime's tools.
Yeah, I agree with this action because feck the Russian Government! But that I can't forgive the saudi takeover being allowed to happen while the UK GOV did F all!

I mean, even in this situation the PL would have done nothing if it was left up to them. They apparently, let anyone takeover a football club if they have enough £.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
So basically he’ll still be Chelsea’s owner when or if the war dies down? It’s inevitable our government will lift sanctions when that happens.

choccy77

The way they bought the club was ridiculous, i wasn't really comparing the two situations.
They bought the club as most smart businessman buy assets.

With little risk to themselves.

Sadly, it's how the world works, right or wrong, it is proven strategy for them.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Still think Chelsea will be OK soon. The Government will be keen to not overly punish Chelsea themselves so will sanction a sale soon, then things will return to normal.

Think the worst we can expect post sale might be a slight tightening of the purse strings, but at the end of the day a new owner will want to come in and likely want to make an initial statement of their own.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It can't be fair that Chelsea will be allowed to play games with no away fans.

Strictly speaking could Chelsea not just allocate X amount of free tickets for away teams or technically even home fans to have full stadium?

Supporters trust are asking for percentage of sale goes to them and also for Government to consult with them before applying sanctions (mental request)

The Government in my view should now take ownership and sell to a new owner for a fixed price, that forces Roman out and also the money from sale all goes to support Ukrain.
Nick Candy is a Tory insider and donor. I'm pretty sure he gets the club on the cheap now.

It seems a bit over the top to target tickets, how players can travel etc, but here we are.

diarm

Not likely, with our current trajectory.

Infra-red

So basically he’ll still be Chelsea’s owner when or if the war dies down? It’s inevitable our government will lift sanctions when that happens.
Nah - it'll be sold in the next few months - the UK Government will manage the bidding process and sale. It's not in anyone's interest for him to remain as owner.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Still think Chelsea will be OK soon. The Government will be keen to not overly punish Chelsea themselves so will sanction a sale soon, then things will return to normal.

Think the worst we can expect post sale might be a slight tightening of the purse strings, but at the end of the day a new owner will want to come in and likely want to make an initial statement of their own.
Same. They seem to have this uncanny ability, almost like a cockroach, to somehow always find a way to survive!

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
But rich people from that country have, like Abramovic.
Don’t get me wrong, I think this is absolutely the moral and ethical thing to do. But you’re transferring what’s happening with abramovic to all clubs, no doubt because it suits your interests as a football fan, which doesn’t quite make sense.
It makes sense to have a root and branch review of all PL ownership. It's rotten to the core. And the PL don't have the backbone to do it. It's turkey's voting for Xmas. So, the Gov is the only hope on that front (lol).

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Same. They seem to have this uncanny ability, almost like a cockroach, to somehow always find a way to survive!
I'm sure the will be sold and still exist. But the big question, like always, is how much £ does the new owner have? If it's not billions, then their time as an elite club may be over.

arnie_ni

What if he doesn't play ball though? They can't just sell it from under him without legal ramifications. It could drag on, or he could lie down and let it happen who knows.