Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

UpWithRivers

I think now would be the best time to introduce the Bundesliga model of fan ownership.
Exactly. Why arnt the Chelsea fans doing this. Protest and get your club back. Why sell to another arsehole and where is the cash going anyway? Just hand the club over to the fans.

TheReligion

Abusive
Have to say wanting all the benefits of stolen/blood money and none of the consequences is as British as it gets.
Bizarre take on things.

So …. Here’s the thing. The lead U.S. prosecutors just said “ you cannot just walk up and take somebody’s yacht. You have to walk through the facts and trace that property to a crime. You have to describe not only the specific crime committed with due process and probable cause, you also gave trace the property itself to a condition of that crime.”
So… with an Oleg Deripaska, who, say, broke campaign finance laws to get a 250 million silver mine in Kentucky… pretty seizable.
Roman has actually been to international court MANY times in regards to his obtaining and selling sibneft. These were exhaustive cases and he won all of them. The asset in dispute is anything derived from Evraz. If your moron mayor Sadiq Khan did some homework, he would know the best forensic accountants in the world AND intelligence organizations have looked into whether Chelsea was/could being used as a money laundering tool. And the answer was a resounding “Nope.”
Hence, legally, there is zero justification for doing anything with the asset aside from freezing Roman out of control of the club so he personally can’t profit. And since he’s not even trying to, forgave the debt, and wanted the proceeds to go to aid. That seems pretty simple.

The funnier (but not funny) conversations going on right now look more like this:

United States: Your actions against Evraz were haphazard and extreme

UK: They we’re making tank armor for Russia.

United States: well … no, actually the only divisions of Evraz that can make armor grade are in our country. They make AMERICAN tanks…

UK: well, they could “potentially” make armor for their tanks.

US: well….No. facilities can’t just suddenly turn around and produce a different product like that. Those facilities would be in Russia anyway. You could simply freeze out any funds from the global entity from going to those divisions.

UK: Chelsea needs to die we dont care how it happens.

US: ……all of this is about ….a sports team? Go sit in the corner. You are cut off from anything that involves thinking from here on.
Tbh this made up conversation, along with the rest of the post, reads like the ramblings of a madman.

I think you need a time out.

TheReligion

Abusive
Appreciate the kudos; would also emphasise that @WeePat has been spot on in everything he's said (much more so than me, for my money).

Personally I find this whole saga to be extremely disheartening well beyond the ramifications for the football club on the pitch - I'd be lying if I said I had been somewhat blissfully ignorant of the extent of the moral depths much of our fanbase has sunk to. I'd say they should be ashamed but increasingly I question whether they have the capacity. Eye-opening, to be sure.
I wouldn’t worry. Every fan base has those sorts. It can just be a little surprising when they out themselves as they are usually the most vocal and blinkered so it distorts the volume.

I’m sure most are pretty reasonable and acknowledge things as they actually are rather than the head in the sand, everyone is out to get us brigade.

I know what you mean though. It does put you off somewhat.

Dr. StrangeHate

Bizarre take on things.

Tbh this made up conversation, along with the rest of the post, reads like the ramblings of a madman.

It is if you are British. But if you were part of the countries which were under British rule during the colonial years and had its wealth robbed you develop a different perspective. Essentially GB enjoys all of the benefits of the stolen wealth but doesn't want to deal with any of the consequences of it.

Crick

Exactly. Why arnt the Chelsea fans doing this. Protest and get your club back. Why sell to another arsehole and where is the cash going anyway? Just hand the club over to the fans.
Chelsea fans love arseholes. They stand up and sing their names.

Abramovich, Conte, Benitez, Mourinho, Kurt Zouma, John Terry...

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea will be fine. All this talk of their demise is knee jerk.
Yes. But it’s the fact that, instead of really caring about things like dealing with Russia, some of your (UK PMs) people made the effort of taking down a British sporting club their priority is really screwed up.
Bizarre take on things.

Ok, whatever, except this exact conversation IS what’s being discussed. Right Now. The UK made explicitly false claims about a global company as pretext to taking out a soccer team. They froze ALL dividend payouts, not just the ones to Roman. Instead of asking how to isolate portions of Evraz that “could” potentially aid Russia, they are inadvertently attacking just about everyone BUT Russia; including US defense assets. I was paraphrasing, not making up. Those conversations ARE happening. And the quotes about seizures are specific, made by our upper level people, and related to current Russian seizures.
Overzealous MPs overstepped their bounds and did real, bad things, that don’t hurt or deter Russia in any way, just to get at a sports team they don’t like.
That does deserve a rant, because it’s damaging, unethical behavior that can set back the whole concept of global community decades.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
If the govt. are able to prove that Chelsea were funded by dirty money, won't clubs affected by the illegally funded rise of Chelsea have a claim to the proceeds from a sale. You could argue that Arsenal have been denied at least one title, participation in the CL due to Chelsea. There's a case to be made for at least half the proceeds of the sale to go to Arsenal imo.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Actually Putin went on a rant today about rich Russians who live abroad, how they were trying to divide the Russian people, and implied they were trying to kill him. It was a really weird, borderline hysterical rant.
There isn’t a penny of money associated with Chelsea that has gone towards Russias invasion. Even if you wanted to use Chelsea for such a thing it would be laughable. The papers in your country sell sanctions that way for some reason, but it isn’t true. Sanctions are a mechanism to create internal pressure on the aggressive regime. Sanctions involving things like SWIFT can affect a country’s war ability directly, but those are a completely different level from these private sanctions.
Why is UEFA refusing to shut off Russia’s access to Champions league games, but refusing to let Chelsea sell tickets?
Roman assigned a 3rd party to sell the team. He assigned a group consisting of people from the US and UK to use the net proceeds for aid in Ukraine. He doesn’t even control that. He is completely cut off from the club. So what, exactly, is the justification for turning punishment screws on Chelsea?
Apparently U.S. divisions of Evraz are considering legal actions at this time. America asked its Allies to carefully structure sanctions so that they directly impede Russia’s ability to make war without grossly setting back the advances of globalization. In your zeal to get rid of an oppo football team you don’t like, you took a shotgun to things as far reaching as the pensions of workers in places like Portland and Colorado. The first fully solar, renewable steel mill is in danger of going under… so… good job
Surely it can be done in such a way that any money made, that isn’t going back into salaries and running the club can go into a bonding scheme with a trusted 3rd party.
it’s right that its not abramovich’s money anymore but the government should not be able to money grab either

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
It’ll be a little funny when Chelsea is sold to whatever group of not so bad guys, all while City and eventually Newcastle take turns in winning the league.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
What was the deadline all about if parties are still bidding?
The debate of whether Saudi Media had their bid in before the deadline makes it sound like it was a hard deadline. UK reporters print anything on the internet. I doubt anymore bids are being looked at.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
If the govt. are able to prove that Chelsea were funded by dirty money, won't clubs affected by the illegally funded rise of Chelsea have a claim to the proceeds from a sale. You could argue that Arsenal have been denied at least one title, participation in the CL due to Chelsea. There's a case to be made for at least half the proceeds of the sale to go to Arsenal imo.
That's one way of getting some silverware I suppose.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
You could also argue that Arsenal should hand back the dirty money they took from Abramovich for Ashley Cole.
HM Gov will trouser the lot.

TheReligion

Abusive
It is if you are British. But if you were part of the countries which were under British rule during the colonial years and had its wealth robbed you develop a different perspective. Essentially GB enjoys all of the benefits of the stolen wealth but doesn't want to deal with any of the consequences of it.
Do you want me to apologise for being British or something?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Again…that’s not how this works. You have to prove Chelsea, the club itself, was doing illegal things with whatever money it received, regardless of source. But I don’t think that’s even an issue right now, except that referenced Arsenal fans would like it to be.

Roman wasn’t sanctioned because his money was “dirty.” He was sanctioned to make sure his money couldn’t go towards aiding Russias Invasion.

In a sense, whether or not the people sanctioned are actually aiding Putin is unimportant.

Even combined, the wealthiest people in Russia would have trouble providing even MREs for that trash pile of an Army. Our humanitarian food airlifts will cost 18 billion for two rounds.

The sanctions are to drive the people into standing up and taking Putin out. We just can’t say it out loud.

Last edited:

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Surely it can be done in such a way that any money made, that isn’t going back into salaries and running the club can go into a bonding scheme with a trusted 3rd party.
it’s right that its not abramovich’s money anymore but the government should not be able to money grab either
Yes, it could easily be structured that way. Which has really been my point all along. Locking Roman out of decisions and access to funds while continuing to let Chelsea operate would be easy.

Setting up a trust for the money of the sale to go towards aid to support Ukraines battle would be fairly easy to as well. But right now it looks like the UK government just wants to keep it for the time being.

The behavior has all been punitive, with good policy taking a backseat to football loyalties and old grudges.

Member 101269

Again…that’s not how this works. You have to prove Chelsea, the club itself, was doing illegal things with whatever money it received, regardless of source. But I don’t think that’s even an issue right now, except that referenced Arsenal fans would like it to be.

Roman wasn’t sanctioned because his money was “dirty.” He was sanctioned to make sure his money couldn’t go towards aiding Russias Invasion.

In a sense, whether or not the people sanctioned are actually aiding Putin is unimportant.

Even combined, the wealthiest people in Russia would have trouble providing even MREs for that trash pile of an Army. Our humanitarian food airlifts will cost 18 billion for two rounds.

The sanctions are to drive the people into standing up and taking Putin out. We just can’t say it out loud.
That is how you hope it will work.

Someone will pay to rebuild their money is being earmarked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutiepatootie

This kind of confused geopolitical and historical whataboutery is simply sportswashing at it's most cynical in action.
The atrocities commited by the British Empire and by imperialist capital in general, from the genocide of aboriginal peoples of Australia and the Americas and the slaughter and enslavery of Africans, to the great 'Famines' in Ireland and India, none of these atrocitues should of course ever be forgotten and economic advantages gained through the butchery and pillage should be recognised and reparations paid.

Nonetheless the British empire does not own one of our clubs today to whitewash its' barbarism. Chelsea was owned by the butcher Abramovic and City are owned by the barbaric state of the UAE. Both are examples of blatant corrupt, oligarchic blood money being used to buy trophys for clubs in order to whitewash the image of their real brutal status.

Chelsea supporters and especially City supporters ( with their " don't give a feck" where the blood money comes from" attitude) have been clearly weaponised by the brutal oligarchs, having swallowed the sportswashing propaganda. Grown men, City fans who choose to defend their owners corrupt project, are in fact cheerleading the horrific human rights abuses and the slaughter of innocents in Yemen today.

There is a time and a place to criticise the British empires violence and theft of other people's resources. If the UK owned one of our clubs for sportswashing purposes then yes we would be right to slate British imperialist violence here. But the UK does not own Chelsea or City or any other club.

Now that Abramovich has rightly been kicked out of football, let's concentrate on getting rid of other sportswashing blood money owners too.

So let's stick to highlighting the City sportswashing project that is pumping in billions to hide the reality of their brutal regime. Please Google Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch for details.

The brutal regimes of the UAE and now Saudi Arabia at Newcastle too should never have been allowed ownershio of any of our football clubs. We football fans need to to do all we can to get the horrific human rights abusing regimes out of football.

Last edited:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

I'm not saying that we take the money from Chelsea, I'm saying we take a slice of the proceeds from Chelsea's sale. Why should it go to the govt., they could've stopped a shady billionaire buying up an EPL club. But they didn't do anything, and it was to the detriment of clubs like Arsenal who were relegated to top four contention instead of being title challengers. If they are able to prove the funds were shady, then it should be distributed to the impacted parties, in this case fc Arsenal.
You could also argue that Arsenal should hand back the dirty money they took from Abramovich for Ashley Cole.
HM Gov will trouser the lot.
Ashley cole was a straight swap with Gallas if my memory serves me correctly. On hindsight we should just have taken the money, Gallas was not a good investment.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
This kind of confused geopolitical and historical whataboutery is simply sportswashing at it's most cynical in action.
The atrocities commited by the British Empire and by imperialist capital in general, from the genocide of aboriginal peoples of Australia and the Americas and the slaughter and enslavery of Africans, to the great 'Famines' in Ireland and India, none of these atrocitues should of course ever be forgotten and economic advantages gained through the butchery and pillage should be recognised and reparations paid.

Nonetheless the British empire does not own one of our clubs today to whitewash its' barbarism. Chelsea was owned by the butcher Abramovic and City are owned by the barbaric state of the UAE. Both are examples of blatant corrupt, oligarchic blood money being used to buy trophys for clubs in order to whitewash the image of their real brutal status.

Chelsea supporters and especially City supporters ( with their " don't give a feck" where the blood money comes from" attitude) have been clearly weaponised by the brutal oligarchs, having swallowed the sportswashing propaganda. Grown men, City fans who choose to defend their owners corrupt project, are in fact cheerleading the horrific human rights abuses and the slaughter of innocents in Yemen today.

There is a time and a place to criticise the British empires violence and theft of other people's resources. If the UK owned one of our clubs for sportswashing purposes then yes we would be right to slate British imperialist violence here. But the UK does not own Cheksea or City in any other club.

Now that Abramovich has rightly been kicked out of football, let's concentrate on getting rid of other sportswashing blood money owners too.

So let's stick to highlighting the City sportswashing project that is pumping in billions to hide the reality of their brutal regime. Please Google Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch for details.

The brutal regimes of the UAE and now Saudi Arabia at Newcastle too should never have been allowed ownershio of any of our football clubs. We football fans need to to do all we can to get the horrific human rights abusing regimes out of football.
Spot on

Ibn Battuta

Supports
Chelsea

There is a time and a place to criticise the British empires violence and theft of other people's resources. If the UK owned one of our clubs for sportswashing purposes then yes we would be right to slate British imperialist violence here. But the UK does not own Cheksea or City in any other club.

Why are you acting as if we have to go back that far to count Britain’s crimes? You were part of the invasion of Iraq, which was of one of the worst crimes committed against humanity.

You can probably find people in the EPL with stronger ties to the British government than Abramovich has to the Russian.People hate to believe their own kind, or themselves even, can be as evil as “those other guys”.

Dr. StrangeHate

Was just saying wanting to take advantage of stolen wealth and not suffer the consequences is something the British Empire was a master at.
Agree that Newcastle and City should be looked at next.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Feels like you might be a little bit prejudice.. dare I say racist?

Not the best look tbh
You're completely out of bounds here.

Are you actually claiming it's 'anti-British racism' that someone mentions crimes committed by the British empire?
Dude, get a grip.

TheReligion

Abusive
You're completely out of bounds here.

Are you actually claiming it's 'anti-British racism' that someone mentions crimes committed by the British empire?
Dude, get a grip.
I’m suggesting he’s got some kind of issue with the British yes. I think that’s obvious given the comments made in a thread about Chelsea’s ownership.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Jesus, what's happened in here!!?

Seems like some need to have time out...

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I’m suggesting he’s got some kind of issue with the British yes. I think that’s obvious given the comments made in a thread about Chelsea’s ownership.
Calling someone racist if they have issues with British colonialism is like a white man calling a black man racist for pointing out that they have been at the receiving end of white supremacists.

Cutiepatootie

I think it my fault. I derailed the thread by posting about crimes of the British empire. I think the thread is unsalvageable now.
Not at all. The thread is not 'unsalvageable' as you put it. We just need to stick to the subject of Anramovic and sportswashing club ownership. Keep things relevant and in context.
You have to understand that when you introduce the crimes of the British empire into conversation about football club ownership, where you're going wrong is that you're missing the point of the criticism of corrupt oligarchs sportswashing their image with their blood money through their ownership of our football clubs. Unfortunately in this way you are indulging in the whataboutery propaganda of brutal oligarchic owners.

So carry on everybody criticising the oligarchic blood money ownership of our clubs. Just leave the British empire and all other empires who do not own one of our football clubs for that matter, out of it.

The nonsensical weaponised, whataboutery is simply a defence of the brutal regimes and is precisely why the barbaric owners bought the clubs.

Don't be a weapon. !!!
Start taking a critical, ethically responsible position regarding refusing trophies bought with human rights abuser's blood money.

Last edited: