View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ole has a job on his hands keeping him motivated with a sub role.
If he can't motivate himself when other players have grasped their chances, then he can just feck off. However, looks like he's at least putting in some effort coming off the bench. Expensive substitute it is.

Doracle

Pleased for him that he got his goal but I thought he also showed why we just can’t play him upfront on his own presently. The two bits of hold up play when he meekly gave it away on the edge of our box were very poor and his involvement in our second goal primarily was to slightly misdirect passes which Rash and Alexis had to adjust to control. Happy for him to play in a two upfront but otherwise he’s a super sub for now.

Loublaze

ATLien
Posted that after the last game and he looked better today, but it still stands.

A few times he had loose touches and in the build-up to the second goal he did play it way out of Rashfords stride and almost killed the attack at the start.
Who hasn't done this? Pogba wasted two great counter attacks today. Is he also poor in buildup? Martial, Mata, Sanchez with his numerous ball give aways and Lingard have had moments like that. Our build up play has been generally poor under Mourinho. If Lukaku is the highest goalscorer for Belgium which plays expansive attacking football heavily reliant on quick passing and interchanges there's no reason he can't hack it here under Ole.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ole has a job on his hands keeping him motivated with a sub role.
Realistically he's not going to have just a sub role, especially given Solskjaer has just said there's no problem playing Lukaku and Rashford together. He'll get his share of starts.

Shiva87

2 goals in 2 games - coming off the bench. That's a good return. Hopefully, that will grow his confidence. His first touch (which everyone seems to keep complaining about) is a million times better when he has the confidence.

Hopefully he starts against Reading a scores a bunch of goals! No better problem to have as a manager than 2 firing strikers.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Happy for him. Gave him so much (deserved) shit under Mourinho but if used correctly I'll have no problem with him. Every indication points to Solskjaer doing that. The way the game was going was perfect for him to come in and grab a goal, probably could've got more with those counters at the end.

Wonder who will be our main front 3 when all are fit and rested. Rashford is the one guy who I can think with confidence will be in, be it as a striker or right winger. Obviously might lose form and someone else takes it, but that's the beauty of having so many quality attackers and using them properly. Mourinho had them and had no idea what to do with them. Played Lukaku every minute, constantly froze others out. Ole has them all hungry and fighting for every spot, playing in an attacking system and you can tell they're all itching to be out there and impress. Can only be a positive.

Janson

Should have had two goals if Pogba had passed in the end. Won us the game. Yet people couldn't help but shit on him in the match thread.

Posh Red

Realistically he's not going to have just a sub role, especially given Solskjaer has just said there's no problem playing Lukaku and Rashford together. He'll get his share of starts.
Personally I would say that is a perfect example of Ole trying to manage the situation. We will have to wait and see but I would not be surprised if he becomes second choice in general for the rest of the season.

Who hasn't done this? Pogba wasted two great counter attacks today. Is he also poor in buildup? Martial, Mata, Sanchez with his numerous ball give aways and Lingard have had moments like that. Our build up play has been generally poor under Mourinho. If Lukaku is the highest goalscorer for Belgium which plays expansive attacking football heavily reliant on quick passing and interchanges there's no reason he can't hack it here under Ole.
Are you really going to argue Lukaku has the touch and link up play of Pogba, Martial, Mata and Sanchez?

Hes good at other things but he does need to sharpen up to fit in this team.

Janson

I hope not, I prefer Rashford to him at the ST position
I would like to see how Lukaku does in this new system. I don't think Rashford is ready for that kind of role yet. I'm guessing Lukaku and Sanchez will be starters sooner or later.

rooneyberbatov

Looks fresh and in shape. Still needs to work on his first touch and positioning, but it's good to have options.

ravi2

I would like to see how Lukaku does in this new system. I don't think Rashford is ready for that kind of role yet. I'm guessing Lukaku and Sanchez will be starters sooner or later.
I would rather a striker would can contribute to the build up play a bit more, but lets see what Ole is able to do with him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Are you really going to argue Lukaku has the touch and link up play of Pogba, Martial, Mata and Sanchez?

Hes good at other things but he does need to sharpen up to fit in this team.
He already fits. He's effortlessly slotted in and got 2 goals in 2 off the bench. You're making up issues that are not there

Janson

Completely agree. He is too good of a player to write of yet. We need to see what he can do in this system.

Janson

I would rather a striker would can contribute to the build up play a bit more, but lets see what Ole is able to do with him.
I'm a lot more confident in Lukaku's ability to score than Rashford's. He could potentially be a scoring machine in an attacking system where he gets a lot more service than before.

Trizy

He had one awful first touch (shocking, right?) that lead to a chance on goal for Newcastle.

His passing in the build up play once or twice was pathetic. For Rashford's goal, he nearly broke down the counter with a quick, 5 yards to Sanchez and some how managed to give him a terrible ball to control.

He's a very poor player. I can however stomach him for 20 minutes or so as a late sub if he scores us goals.

ravi2

He had one awful first touch (shocking, right?) that lead to a chance on goal for Newcastle.

His passing in the build up play once or twice was pathetic. For Rashford's goal, he nearly broke down the counter with a quick, 5 yards to Sanchez and some how managed to give him a terrible ball to control.

He's a very poor player. I can however stomach him for 20 minutes or so as a late sub if he scores us goals.
The problem is he will never accept a role like that and we paid too much for him to have him as a super sub.
In the end he will have to go, it is best for all parties.

hp88

The problem is he will never accept a role like that and we paid too much for him to have him as a super sub.
In the end he will have to go, it is best for all parties.
Yeah, I reckon he will go in Summer. Good option to have on the bench for any side but I doubt he wants to spend his mid twenties on the bench.

Ban

Nice from you to point out the negatives.

Eugenius

Good goal off the bench. He is being used much better now under OGS.

Under Mourinho he had the same status as RvN (2001-5), Rooney (2004-12), Ronaldo (2005-09) and although brief RvP in 2012/13. By that I mean a player who we build a team around and is a guaranteed starter week in week out.

We've had plenty of good strikers aside from the above under SAF who weren't given that luxury. Tevez, Berbatov, Saha, Chicharito (even Forlan and Welbeck) etc who were only first choice and certain points in time, despite being great players. I see Lukaku more in that second category and even then I think he struggles in comparison to the above.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Deserves to start the next game. Wonder if Ole will dust off the old 4-4-2 at some point this season.

Devil may care

Good anticipation on the first goal and played a good part in the second, he also lost the ball 3 times and set them off on counters with his awful touch and broke down a couple of our counters with wayward passing. If he's willing to be a £75M version of Ole, then cool, no worries, but I don't want to see him starting over Rashford who is a much better all round footballer.

Moriarty

Any manager who sees the current version of Lukaku as a Man Utd starting centre forward isn’t the right appointment.
Perhaps, but it's going to be who can get the best out of him in whatever position he plays. So far, it's two games and two goals coming off the bench and some decent play tonight.

Andersons Dietician

I imagine he’ll get a start in the FA cup, probably with Sanchez so will be intresting to see how it goes but I’m guessing there will be a few changes so might disrupt the flow of the current team.

In general I thought he was quite good when he came on. Didn’t fill me with confidence with some of his link up play looking like a guy just over thinking it and sort of panicking but made some good runs.

Ashley R1+O

Great finish, poachy stuff. Hold up play looked miles better as he was getting the ball to feet in better positions and influencing. Happy days for him, looks a rejuvenated player and the only way from here is up.

haram

Didn’t see the game but good for his confidence. Unleash him again against Reading.

His instinctive reaction for the goal tonight reminded me of me going for a last ditch move to take the last remaining mince pie from the table.
Tonight me,literally, and Lukaku tasted success.

staniswin

Two games two goals for Lukaku since Ole came back, with good build up play for one of those goals and him being part of the build up for our second against Newcastle. Fluke?
I guess congratulation to him for nailing his place as super sub , he is still very clumsy on the ball , but he is better as sub since the game is more open so he has more space to run into.
Ole obviously see him as Fellaini replacement ( we start playing it long to him ) and see him as himself back then , his goal today reminds me of Chicharito so that's that. But compared to those players ,he is too expensive as super sub so i think we will end up getting rid anyway.

Last edited:

roseguy64

He needs to improve on shielding the ball its crazy how easily he gets dispossessed by much weaker players :houllier:
The Newcastle player put his foot in right as the ball came to him. Was well done by him as you can see Lukaku is looking to control it at an angle opening up his body but the Newcastle player takes it just before he can control it.

There are much better examples for you to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.