g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Romelu Lukaku image 9

Romelu Lukaku Belgium flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Cantona07

In his prime RVN could have played in any team in any system. He didn't need it on a plate, he clearly needed the ball (as every striker), but he made bad balls good. RVN out with Fergie and Ronaldo, and we then had far more options available to us. It was quite dramatic, and his attitude was poor. He then went on to score 46 in 68 for Real Madrid. Can you imagine Madrid buying bloody Lukuku?

Check out the goal he scored against Fulham - it's everything that Lukuku can't do. Run with the ball at pace, turn, hold off players.

We can have a sensible discussion about Lukuku, but he's not comparable to RVN - who is one of the best strikers we have ever had.
Lukaku is not a patch on rvn. Lukaku carries more top speed, even that’s useless when he struggles to make it to use. Yesterday’s game he was past last defender still stumbled on his stride if not would have been a square pass to sanchez. Rvn had more holding skills than lukaku can dream of, same was his first touch which was pretty good for a Fox in the box type player.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
when Rashford is so obviously a better, more complete player who complements our style better you'd expect him to understand - doesn't always mean he's going to accept it though

I think he will get plenty of Football but if he wants to be the main man he might eventually need to move.

a question I'd ask would be where would he move to? a club signing him is guaranteed goals but could anyone stump up the kind of money United would expect. He's not decreased in value for me. A club like West Ham would love him but could they outlay the kind of money you'd expect. Everton have been spending big but would they want him back and at 80/90 million?

He's got an international reputation given his record for Belgium but it's hard to see where he'd go in Europe
Regarding where he'd move. I actually fine that an interesting discussion, because while we're mostly in agreement that he's probably not good enough I'd bet teams in the PL (outside of the top 6) would be falling over themselves to get a player with his PL goal scoring record. Like you said though, who'd be willing to pay top dollar for him? PL clubs aren't short on change, but even so the price we'd demand would be ludicrous, I imagine. I'd also wonder if he'd be willing to take a step down now he's been at a team like United, for want of a better term I think we're "stuck" with him, for another season or two at least.

Foxbatt

There was a moment yesterday just before Chong came on. There was a high ball and their CB headed up in the air and ball fell near Lukaku. I really do not know what Lukaku was trying to do. He could have controlled the ball any way he wanted to as there was no one near him. But he let it bounce and then he went up and headed it straight up in the air and the defender who originally headed it by this time had come to Lukaku and headed the Lukukau header clear. I mean what was he thinking?
He let it bounce on the ground and then he headed it up straight up in the air.

He has scored against three big teams and both are in friendlies. The only time he scored against a big team in a competitive game is against Croatia. That is against Portugal and Netherlands. The rest are against minnows or medium teams like Switzerland, Iceland etc.
Fellaini has scored more international goals against the big teams compared to Lukaku.

Loublaze

ATLien
In his prime RVN could have played in any team in any system. He didn't need it on a plate, he clearly needed the ball (as every striker), but he made bad balls good. RVN out with Fergie and Ronaldo, and we then had far more options available to us. It was quite dramatic, and his attitude was poor. He then went on to score 46 in 68 for Real Madrid. Can you imagine Madrid buying bloody Lukuku?

Check out the goal he scored against Fulham - it's everything that Lukuku can't do. Run with the ball at pace, turn, hold off players.

We can have a sensible discussion about Lukuku, but he's not comparable to RVN - who is one of the best strikers we have ever had.
Again, I never brought up RVN to directly compare him to Lukaku, but I made my points about how RVN did not shine in every system and why he was allowed to leave in his prime. Again, after Beckham left his goals took a hit. Henry did score different types of goals more often than RVN did he not? Lukaku is flourishing for a fluid and expansive Belgium is he not?

Loublaze

ATLien
There was a moment yesterday just before Chong came on. There was a high ball and their CB headed up in the air and ball fell near Lukaku. I really do not know what Lukaku was trying to do. He could have controlled the ball any way he wanted to as there was no one near him. But he let it bounce and then he went up and headed it straight up in the air and the defender who originally headed it by this time had come to Lukaku and headed the Lukukau header clear. I mean what was he thinking?
He let it bounce on the ground and then he headed it up straight up in the air.

He has scored against three big teams and both are in friendlies. The only time he scored against a big team in a competitive game is against Croatia. That is against Portugal and Netherlands. The rest are against minnows or medium teams like Switzerland, Iceland etc.
Fellaini has scored more international goals against the big teams compared to Lukaku.
Salah has only scored once against a top 6 team this season, Arsenal. He was useless against PSG twice but he loves to score against minnows as well. Blasphemy for me to say huh? I don't see many other strikers being scrutinized for every little thing as much as Lukaku is as long as they're scoring goals

Loublaze

ATLien
https://www.goal.com/en/news/solskj...triker-i-am-lukaku/1jj0akv0bu2f01qst71tl8zx0w

'Solskjaer understands what type of striker I am' - Lukaku explains post-Mourinho goal glut

The United striker has scored in each of his last three appearances - as many goals as he netted in the previous three months

Romelu Lukaku has credited the one-to-one coaching of Manchester United interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for his revival in goalscoring form.

The Belgian was struggling for form this season under previous manager Jose Mourinho, having scored just twice in all competitions in the three months preceding the manager's sacking on Tuesday December 18.

Lukaku has netted in each of his last two Premier League games - both of which the striker started on the bench - and on Saturday his cool finished helped ensure United beat Reading 2-0 and qualify for the fourth round of the FA Cup.

The 25-year-old is clearly learning from the best. As player, Solskjaer was renowned for his ability to come on as a substitute and make a scoring contribution, most famously in the 1999 Champions League final when the Norwegian's injury-time strike earned a famous 2-1 victory for the Red Devils.

"In training you see he helps us a lot with finishing and how to strike the ball," Lukaku told MUTV.

"He explains how to move away from the ball and the way he wants us to play really benefits me. It helps me to get in a position where I want to be and he understands what type of striker I am and he works to our strengths.

"He knows I want to play through the middle, facing the goal at all times, he knows I'm really dangerous at that. But, also helping the team off the ball and things like that. He helps me a lot and I try to pay off with goals.”

Lukaku and his United team-mates have now jetted off for a short training camp in Dubai, something the attacker is looking forward to.

“It's going to be good for us as a team because we are performing really well and it's going to help us to become tighter," he said. "We do a lot of stuff together off the pitch and now we will be together and become a tighter unit.”

buckooo1978

Regarding where he'd move. I actually fine that an interesting discussion, because while we're mostly in agreement that he's probably not good enough I'd bet teams in the PL (outside of the top 6) would be falling over themselves to get a player with his PL goal scoring record. Like you said though, who'd be willing to pay top dollar for him? PL clubs aren't short on change, but even so the price we'd demand would be ludicrous, I imagine. I'd also wonder if he'd be willing to take a step down now he's been at a team like United, for want of a better term I think we're "stuck" with him, for another season or two at least.
I agree

Everton with their investment would be the main Premier League contender I think given they were happy to spend 100m on Richarlison and Siggurdson

hard to imagine a deal elsewhere without players changing hands (which very rarely happens)

Would be a statement signing for someone like AC Milan if they had that kind of investment some other clubs in Italy have

adamwest

Fecks sake. He’s not the most skilful or technically gifted striker ever, we all know it. But the amount of disrespect he gets is astonishing. I’m backing him to turn it around.
+1. The drivel spouted about him on here is nearing disgraceful.

Foxbatt

Salah is a much better player than Lukaku. He does a lot more than Lukaku to create chances for others too. If anyone think Lukaku is equal or better player than Salah then I do not know what he or she is thinking.
So long as Lukaku is scoring goals no one said anything. It is when he is not scoring goals and he is missing a lot of chances and he does eff all otherwise during the game is what United fans are complaining about.

Loublaze

ATLien
Salah is a much better player than Lukaku. He does a lot more than Lukaku to create chances for others too. If anyone think Lukaku is equal or better player than Salah then I do not know what he or she is thinking.
So long as Lukaku is scoring goals no one said anything. It is when he is not scoring goals and he is missing a lot of chances and he does eff all otherwise during the game is what United fans are complaining about.
Why are you complaining now and doing a forensic analysis of his faults when he's scored 3 in his last 3? Salah is good player indeed, still a flat truck bully this season

OverratedOpinion

To be fair mate you have picked the most Un-Ruud type of goal that Ruud ever scored for us.

I could show the goal below against Chelsea to show what Lukaku is capable of but the truth is neither are particularly representative of the type of player Ruud or Lukaku are.

King_Cantona07

Again, I never brought up RVN to directly compare him to Lukaku, but I made my points about how RVN did not shine in every system and why he was allowed to leave in his prime. Again, after Beckham left his goals took a hit. Henry did score different types of goals more often than RVN did he not? Lukaku is flourishing for a fluid and expansive Belgium is he not?

Not really he kills fluid movement with his lack of control or keeping ball stuck to feet.

cyberman

It's the Van Nistelrooy situation again. He scored goals, he was probably the best finisher we've ever had, but as a team we were worse off with him. He didn't fit the kind of style we wanted to play because he didn't offer enough beyond the goals. Lukaku is obviously miles off the level of RVN but the similarities are clear.
This isn't true. RVN was dropped because we had Ronaldo and Rooney in the wings and Sir Alex wanted to build around them.
Ruud was our striker when we played some ridiculous football in the years prior.

Loublaze

ATLien
In addition to being the top scorer here, and Everton, and West Brom and Anderlecht. So essentially every team he's ever played for at every level.
This. Isn't it enough that opposition fans give him lots of stick? It seems some United fans are desperate to see him fail here. 3 in his last 3 under a new manager shouldn't bring about the type of gloom we're seeing in this thread.

hobbers

The situation is the same as with RVN, but obviously RVN and Lukaku are not just in different leagues, they're on different planets in terms of ability.

Ronaldo and Rooney and the "inverted winger" style of attack was the way forward for us back then, unfortunately for Ruud. And it's come full circle again now with Rashford and Martial, at Lukaku's expense.

eire-red

Lukaku is the second best finisher at the club, second to Martial. He's a serial goal scorer, and if he gets into stride in the second half of the season, will probably hit 20 + goals again this season. He gets a lot of outlandish criticism, exaggerated to some extent, but I think his biggest problem is when he doesn't score, he doesn't bring enough to the team.

OverratedOpinion

The situation is the same as with RVN, but obviously RVN and Lukaku are not just in different leagues, they're on different planets in terms of ability.

Ronaldo and Rooney and the "inverted winger" style of attack was the way forward for us back then, unfortunately for Ruud. And it's come full circle again now with Rashford and Martial, at Lukaku's expense.
I think there are two major differences, Lukaku is still very young and has not shown the attitude problems Ruud did. I suspect Lukaku will be here for a long time and play an important role in our attack.

Litch

Fecks sake. He’s not the most skilful or technically gifted striker ever, we all know it. But the amount of disrespect he gets is astonishing. I’m backing him to turn it around.
Agree. Of his generation, only Kane has a better goal scoring record in the prem. He will be at Utd for a very long time.....

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
When's the last time he scored outside of the box?
Seeing as people are discussing him and RVN, I will add to it. RVN I think scored literally 1 goal for us outside of the box, which was lucky. What I mean is, what you are asking is irrelevant. It doesn’t matter where a player scores from, as long as he scores.

A goal from a shot on the goal line is worth just as much as Beckham’s half way line peach.

Sterling Archer

https://www.goal.com/en/news/solskj...triker-i-am-lukaku/1jj0akv0bu2f01qst71tl8zx0w

'Solskjaer understands what type of striker I am' - Lukaku explains post-Mourinho goal glut

The United striker has scored in each of his last three appearances - as many goals as he netted in the previous three months

Romelu Lukaku has credited the one-to-one coaching of Manchester United interim manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer for his revival in goalscoring form.

The Belgian was struggling for form this season under previous manager Jose Mourinho, having scored just twice in all competitions in the three months preceding the manager's sacking on Tuesday December 18.

Lukaku has netted in each of his last two Premier League games - both of which the striker started on the bench - and on Saturday his cool finished helped ensure United beat Reading 2-0 and qualify for the fourth round of the FA Cup.

The 25-year-old is clearly learning from the best. As player, Solskjaer was renowned for his ability to come on as a substitute and make a scoring contribution, most famously in the 1999 Champions League final when the Norwegian's injury-time strike earned a famous 2-1 victory for the Red Devils.

"In training you see he helps us a lot with finishing and how to strike the ball," Lukaku told MUTV.

"He explains how to move away from the ball and the way he wants us to play really benefits me. It helps me to get in a position where I want to be and he understands what type of striker I am and he works to our strengths.

"He knows I want to play through the middle, facing the goal at all times, he knows I'm really dangerous at that. But, also helping the team off the ball and things like that. He helps me a lot and I try to pay off with goals.”

Lukaku and his United team-mates have now jetted off for a short training camp in Dubai, something the attacker is looking forward to.

“It's going to be good for us as a team because we are performing really well and it's going to help us to become tighter," he said. "We do a lot of stuff together off the pitch and now we will be together and become a tighter unit.”
That's fantastic. Honestly, I came here to write about how poor Lukaku looked at times against a team at the bottom of the Championship. I am embarrassed with myself upon reading how well Ole has handled this. He obviously knows the player's abilities and deficiencies and is successfully creating a teacher - student bond. Lukaku is a smart, humble and hard working guy so I really expect a lot of improvement before the season end. It's a shame to have to wonder how the last year and half may actually have stifled the players growth...except for the getting fat...nothing stifled there except for the tighter fit on his jeans

Andersons Dietician

Already showing he’s better than Jose, kinda feel like shots are also being fired by Lukaku there to boot.

But he’s right and I think Ole said something similar along the lines of he is going to find it hard to score with his back always to goal.

Eugenius

People fixated on his goal record are missing the point, I think. We know he scores goals for fun against the bottom 12 clubs and the assortment of far flung countries you face in international qualifiers.

For the first time in a long while, it looks like we have a system of play that will allow us to beat those lower tier teams even if we don't have a clinical poacher up top or a single focal point of attack.

When it comes to the bigger games though do we really think he's good enough?Will we face 5-10 minutes of pressure from Spurs and when we need to get up the pitch the ball is bouncing off Lukaku? Will he squander the half chance against Liverpool because he waits for the ball to bounce perfectly for him? Will we watch Thiago Silva strolling the ball out from the back and Lukaku making no effort to close him down?

It's not just about scoring goals against cannon fodder.

Loublaze

ATLien
That's fantastic. Honestly, I came here to write about how poor Lukaku looked at times against a team at the bottom of the Championship. I am embarrassed with myself upon reading how well Ole has handled this. He obviously knows the player's abilities and deficiencies and is successfully creating a teacher - student bond. Lukaku is a smart, humble and hard working guy so I really expect a lot of improvement before the season end. It's a shame to have to wonder how the last year and half may actually have stifled the players growth...except for the getting fat...nothing stifled there except for the tighter fit on his jeans
He's off to a flier in goals as well, I expect a lot more to come

Already showing he’s better than Jose, kinda feel like shots are also being fired by Lukaku there to boot.

But he’s right and I think Ole said something similar along the lines of he is going to find it hard to score with his back always to goal.
Right. Lukaku was never a target man ala Drogba. Its criminal how Jose didn't see that. I think Jose really lost touch with how football has evolved, and this illustrates how he was trying to turn his players into players he achieved success with in the past.

Loublaze

ATLien
People fixated on his goal record are missing the point, I think. We know he scores goals for fun against the bottom 12 clubs and the assortment of far flung countries you face in international qualifiers.

For the first time in a long while, it looks like we have a system of play that will allow us to beat those lower tier teams even if we don't have a clinical poacher up top or a single focal point of attack.

When it comes to the bigger games though do we really think he's good enough?Will we face 5-10 minutes of pressure from Spurs and when we need to get up the pitch the ball is bouncing off Lukaku? Will he squander the half chance against Liverpool because he waits for the ball to bounce perfectly for him? Will we watch Thiago Silva strolling the ball out from the back and Lukaku making no effort to close him down?

It's not just about scoring goals against cannon fodder.
70% of games throughout the season are played against 'cannon fodder'. Lingard currently has the best record for goals scored against the bigger clubs. Salah has been a flat track bully this season but why is it ok for his goals against cannon fodder to negate this record and not Lukaku? BTW im not comparing Lukaku and Salah, just pointing that out.

Eugenius

70% of games throughout the season are played against 'cannon fodder'. Lingard currently has the best record for goals scored against the bigger clubs. Salah has been a flat track bully this season but why is it ok for his goals against cannon fodder to negate this record and not Lukaku? BTW im not comparing Lukaku and Salah, just pointing that out.
Nothing wrong with putting cannon fodder away but his performances and output against big teams are well below par. I can only remember one game where he's made a decent contribution for us (Chelsea at home), the rest it's often like playing with 10 men.

This isn't true. RVN was dropped because we had Ronaldo and Rooney in the wings and Sir Alex wanted to build around them.
Ruud was our striker when we played some ridiculous football in the years prior.
That's basically what I said. RVN didn't fit the style SAF wanted us to play so he was slowly moved on. We actually won very little with him as our striker, despite how good he was at scoring.

cyberman

That's basically what I said. RVN didn't fit the style SAF wanted us to play so he was slowly moved on. We actually won very little with him as our striker, despite how good he was at scoring.
He could play an attacking style though. There's a line of thinking that's somehow become fact that we couldn't become dynamic with Ruud up top but we played fantastic, flowing football before that with RVN as our striker.
It was our defence that let is down. The Blanc in defence so we have to all out attack season is still the best attacking Utd I've ever seen.
For me, it was always RVN age that had him sold, not lack of ability.

Litch

Nothing wrong with putting cannon fodder away but his performances and output against big teams are well below par. I can only remember one game where he's made a decent contribution for us (Chelsea at home), the rest it's often like playing with 10 men.
Irrespective of what he does, there will always be those who will minimise the things he does well and focus on the things he doesn't. If he only scored against the top teams I'm in no doubt it would then be 'only gets himself up for the big games'......

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He could play an attacking style though. There's a line of thinking that's somehow become fact that we couldn't become dynamic with Ruud up top but we played fantastic, flowing football before that with RVN as our striker.
It was our defence that let is down. The Blanc in defence so we have to all out attack season is still the best attacking Utd I've ever seen.
For me, it was always RVN age that had him sold, not lack of ability.
Well that and bullying Ronaldo and maybe the fact that our team had become too static with ruud, there was a marked difference in fluidity when Saha came into the team

cyberman

Well that and bullying Ronaldo and maybe the fact that our team had become too static with ruud, there was a marked difference in fluidity when Saha came into the team
I just think Saha coming in was a coincidence. Ronaldo and Rooney would have kicked on regardless with the proof being Saha didn't last that long himself and we kicked on yet another level after that.
Some of our best play that year came with old man Larsson up top who was the least mobile of the three.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I can see why people are defending Lukaku because he is getting a fair amount of stick at the moment.

I think you can acknowledge that he has a great scoring record at every club he’s been at and international but st the same time recognising that he’s not the best technically.

There’s not many players in the premier league that you can make constant gifs about showing lack of control, tripling over the ball, falling flat when trying to change direction. All that had happened and is there to see, aswell as his goal scoring.

I think he was too nervous to control that high ball on the weekend because he knew he’d struggle to control it, why else would he have all that time to make a decision and let it bounce? He made it worse then by miss timing is header and getting beat to the ball by the defender. For all his goals surely we should have someone with more composure and skill than that leading the line for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.