Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I just think Saha coming in was a coincidence. Ronaldo and Rooney would have kicked on regardless with the proof being Saha didn't last that long himself and we kicked on yet another level after that.
Some of our best play that year came with old man Larsson up top who was the least mobile of the three.
I don’t agree, our best stuff was with Saha until injuries did him

OverratedOpinion

I can see why people are defending Lukaku because he is getting a fair amount of stick at the moment.

I think you can acknowledge that he has a great scoring record at every club he’s been at and international but st the same time recognising that he’s not the best technically.

There’s not many players in the premier league that you can make constant gifs about showing lack of control, tripling over the ball, falling flat when trying to change direction. All that had happened and is there to see, aswell as his goal scoring.

I think he was too nervous to control that high ball on the weekend because he knew he’d struggle to control it, why else would he have all that time to make a decision and let it bounce? He made it worse then by miss timing is header and getting beat to the ball by the defender. For all his goals surely we should have someone with more composure and skill than that leading the line for us?
The criticism is not even slightly balanced. You see people referring to him as a League 2 striker, I actually think that people defending him have a much more realistic view on his level, no one here is claiming that he is up there with Aguero or Lewandowski.

He could definitely be improved upon and he clearly has flaws but he is a tremendously effective attacker with a good attitude and there are far more pressing issues in our team. He has had a stop start season and I am personally looking forward to seeing what he can do for the remainder of the season in an attacking team which has already improved a number of attacking players (who also looked poor in a number of ways under Jose).

UncleBob

Lukaku in the past would demolish the defender in that first clip while running straight at goal.

There's different debates to be had.

The problem at the moment is that the clips are common issues and not something that happens rarely. Overhit passes, underhit passes, misplaced passes, bad control of the ball, bad pressing, mistimed headers, at the moment it's a general issue with Lukaku. Waiting for the ball to bounce and then not even getting the timing of your jump right is about as absurd as it gets, there's an abundance of players that would easily pluck the ball out of the air and send Sanchez one on one with the goalkeeper with an easy pass. Same with the first video, he's in a situation where someone with his pace and body strength should be able to use it to his advantage to get in front of the defender, either he lets you go or he clips you and he's off, instead he lets the ball roll further out wide until his technique lets him down and he can't even pick out an easy pass to Sanchez.

Given the way he's currently playing i see no reason to make any changes to an attacking trio that's been functioning fine to accommodate a striker that's likely to have a negative effect on our attacks but might pop up with a goal. Which is more or less the Ruud debate again, you replace a striker that generally scores more goals than his alternative but the alternative makes the team better overall. Obviously Ronaldo and Rooney were evolving as players and it's not like Saha instantly made them better players, but his movement and versatility gave them more space to operate in and gave them better working conditions on the pitch. Fans went from complaining about our midfield being dire, to realizing that the issue was more about movement up top. You need versatility, players up top that can change position, players that are comfortable with the ball at their feet.

If he starts playing the way he can play at his best, then it'll only be to our advantage to have a mobile front trio where we try to create constant movement to put Lukaku into situations where he can run at goal with the ball, can be absolutely crucial in us getting 4th.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The criticism is not even slightly balanced. You see people referring to him as a League 2 striker, I actually think that people defending him have a much more realistic view on his level, no one here is claiming that he is up there with Aguero or Lewandowski.

He could definitely be improved upon and he clearly has flaws but he is a tremendously effective attacker with a good attitude and there are far more pressing issues in our team. He has had a stop start season and I am personally looking forward to seeing what he can do for the remainder of the season in an attacking team which has already improved a number of attacking players (who also looked poor in a number of ways under Jose).
I agree with pretty much all of that, people do argue or make points in extremes, league 2 level is clearly wrong. I would say that when people defending him point out how amazing his scoring record is and he’s the record scorer this and leading scorer that it can be seen as it’s being implied he’s up there with the strikers you mentioned and then that gets refuted.

We have definitely got more pressing issues to be addressed.

I’m kind of looking forward to what he’s going to bring the rest of the season but while peering through my fingers as he puts me on edge most of the game watching him at the moment.

Sauldogba

Yes, that one. Don't pretend it wouldn't have been posted if it was Lukaku.

No, it's not. How many times has he poinltessly ran a ball out of play? I'm not berating him for it. It happens.
The way that some posters have it in against players like Lukaku and Matic is just embarrassing.
Rashford lost the ball pretty much every time he had it yesterday but thats fine for them.
Same way when Martial had an absolute stinker in the last game he played and was pretty average in the game before but its fine because "he was our biggest threat" and he was the "only one to create anything".
When Lukaku scores but has one or two bad touches in the game its a different story.

Sauldogba

RVN scores so many winning goals, and goals against the big teams. Lukuku is a flat track bully.

His the 5th top goal scorer in the Champions League with 56 goals in 73 games, a ratio of 0.77 per game.

To compare one of the great strikers with Lukuku is beyond a joke. RVN had composure and a great touch - things Lukuku can only dream of.
RVN had a poor record against the top 4.
If anything hes as much as a flat track bully as Rom.
Lets not rewrite history.

Sauldogba

Ibra missed loads of chances and if he had converted half of those he missed we would have made the top 4 spot too. But Ibra brings a lot more to the game than Lukaku. His hold up play and the way he brings other players into the game is something that Lukaku cannot ever do. And Ibra does get into those positions where he can get those chances. Lukaku has not been doing this.
It is a bit like in cricket where a fielder goes for a hard catch and if he doesn't catch it lots of people will say it was a dropped catch. On the other hand if the fielder does not go for it then they never talk about the dropped catch because he never reached the ball.
The same with Lukaku. He does not go for it and then it is not a chance because he never reached the ball and it becomes a bad pass.
We came sixth with Ibra. SIXTH.
Lukaku contributed to us getting second.
People seem to forget Ibras flaws.
Like dropping too deep,slowing us down and miscontroling the football evety game.
For all the talk of Lukakus touch what about Ibras

SAFMUTD

Lukaku receives way to much criticism, he just came back and is being used as a sub and has scored in each of the three games, the one against Newcastle showing great reaction.

It seems people here want him to fail, we should be glad he is coming back and scoring. Last season he was great for us, and I have high hopes for him. Of course he is not the most technical striker but he scores goals and as long as he keep scoring he is good enough.

Andersons Dietician

We came sixth with Ibra. SIXTH.
Lukaku contributed to us getting second.
People seem to forget Ibras flaws.
Like dropping too deep,slowing us down and miscontroling the football evety game.
For all the talk of Lukakus touch what about Ibras
I think this is something many people like to erase from their memory that when he was here Ibras touch was at times shocking and he’d lose the ball quite often. Ibra of hold was of course a maestro on form but that’s not what we got and he was very static but that was Jose’s wish.

Lukaku offers far more running and movement than what Zlatan could and if given the chance his penalty box movement is actually pretty good, we just haven’t seen the best of him here due to instructions and how we played. For sure he has faults and probably 5 times out of 10 he isn’t going to pluck a ball out of the air and kill it in one touch but put in him a fast counter attacking team and a ball played in to space and watch him thrive.

However worth pointing out at a point last year people wanted him out on the right as his link up play and ability to cross was pretty impressive. Not saying I was one of them that was just madness but he did show he was more than just a tap in merchant.

hobbers

I think his game would improve noticeably if he stopped trying to do those step overs every single time he's running with the ball at someone.

Because he messes them up every single time.

El Jefe

I've read a lot of shite in the last two pages particularly from the Lukaku defenders. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, van Nistelrooy is brought into the debate :wenger:

Lukaku is a good goal scorer but a poor footballer at the top level. Newsflash in today's game, a 1 in 2 goal scoring record is not all that impressive especially when you have as many flaws as Lukaku.

His criticism comes because of his shambolic technique, lack of impact in big games and his horrible streaks of poor form. I don't see why some posters see this criticism as unwarranted when Lukaku has had these flaws for his whole career.

POF

He does what I used to expect of Ade Akinbiyi, Chris Kiwomya or Ian Ormondroyd. No more no less
Apart from "these are the crappest 3 strikers I can think of", is there a reason why you picked those 3? I am none the wiser of what you expect because Akinbiyi, Kiwomya and Ormandroyd are 3 of the most different style strikers I can think of. There are virtually no similarities at all in their style of play.

It's like comparing Emile Heskey, Ian Wright and Peter Crouch.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I don’t know about other people, but I hardly see people think of him as league 2 players. People just don’t think he’s good enough to lead our attack to the next level of challenging the league. And the way how he plays doesn’t suit with our attacking style that relies on fluidity and quick link up play in a tight spot, which exactly exposing his weakness.

Personally he’s good player but only for a striker at Everton’s level or a team who is going for 4th place or top 4 only. We are Manchester United and we should be aiming to challenging the league, at the very best super sub or plan B is the best for his role in a club like us.

Loublaze

ATLien
I just think Saha coming in was a coincidence. Ronaldo and Rooney would have kicked on regardless with the proof being Saha didn't last that long himself and we kicked on yet another level after that.
Some of our best play that year came with old man Larsson up top who was the least mobile of the three.
Larsson was the consummate professional who effortlessly fit into a free scoring United team but you're overstating his 2 and a half month stint here

Loublaze

ATLien
I don’t know about other people, but I hardly see people think of him as league 2 players. People just don’t think he’s good enough to lead our attack to the next level of challenging the league. And the way how he plays doesn’t suit with our attacking style that relies on fluidity and quick link up play in a tight spot, which exactly exposing his weakness.

Personally he’s good player but only for a striker at Everton’s level or a team who is going for 4th place or top 4 only. We are Manchester United and we should be aiming to challenging the league, at the very best super sub or plan B is the best for his role in a club like us.
Lukaku is too good for Everton, if United sold him he'd be heading to a big CL club. Its no surprise he's always been linked to, sought and bought by bigger clubs. We hijacked Chelsea's move for him. Clubs have spent 115M on him in transfer fees alone, and that does not include the easily achievable extra 15M in add ons when he transferred to united. He's one of 5 players to have scored their 100th league goal before 25. Never an Everton player. At least give him that respect

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Lukaku is too good for Everton, if United sold him he'd be heading to a big CL club. Its no surprise he's always been linked to, sought and bought by bigger clubs. We hijacked Chelsea's move for him. Clubs have spent 115M on him in transfer fees alone, and that does not include the easily achievable extra 15M in add ons when he transferred to united. He's one of 5 players to have scored their 100th league goal before 25. Never an Everton player. At least give him that respect
Right now we are playing in a style that will expose Lukaku’s weakness.

If you think any big club CL is willing to take him away from us then they should also willing to pay big money. I expect £100m or more for a striker as what you described especially for a striker who is still 25 and have scored 100th league goals.

It’ll do good for 3 parties. Good for us that we can move on, making profit from him and sign someone who’s more suitable with our style. Good for him that he will play in a team that suit with his style. Good for whichever “the top club” who rates him highly finally get him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Right now we are playing in a style that will expose Lukaku’s weakness.

If you think any big club CL is willing to take him away from us then they should also willing to pay big money. I expect £100m or more for a striker as what you described especially for a striker who is still 25 and have scored 100th league goals.

It’ll do good for 3 parties. Good for us that we can move on, making profit from him and sign someone who’s more suitable with our style. Good for him that he will play in a team that suit with his style. Good for whichever “the top club” who rates him highly finally get him.
He's not going anywhere though, you'll have to endure him and I guess we're going to have to endure you telling us how much he doesn't fit even as he's blasting goals on a regular basis. You're so quick to jump the gun with your bias against him, you and several others. Ole is not even guaranteed to keep his United job beyond 6 months so what will you say if we hire a manager with a different ideology? Its not even like Lukaku is off form, he's scoring for fun under Ole, just like Pogba and Rashford are. Lukaku's father died when Solskjaer took over and that is probably the only reason he was benched on his return because Rashford is currently on fire and deserves to keep his place. You could even wait until you're perhaps proven right when Lukaku actually struggles, but no, crucify him immediately even when he's doing what the club bought him for.

Marcus

I believe Ole can provide guidance to Lukaku and that will make him a much more effective striker.

roseguy64

he could be the same as any striker in the EPL. Most strikers are of the same level or better than him. His first touch and his movements are so bad I am really surprised that he plays for Belgium. He does not do anything that Rashford does. He does not press half as much as Rashford and I do not think he can sprint like Rashford for 90 mins.
Any defender would prefer Lukaku to Rashford for sure. For a big man he does not use his physicality as well.
Have you ever seen him play for Belgium?

lex talionis

I believe Ole can provide guidance to Lukaku and that will make him a much more effective striker.
Agree with this. Lukaku may never accept such a role, but he might be a superb super sub behind Rashford. Having the pressure taken off him, Lukaku has responded very well since his return.

Hawks2008

He's a competent goalscorer but that's about it. We need better if we aim to be one of the best sides in Europe again.

LoveFootball

Manchester United used to have the best players in the league, the best strikers in Europe, but now some people are trying to convince us that Lukaku who isn't better than Aguero(Man City), Kane(Tottenham), Aubamyang(Arsenal), Lacazette(Arsenal), Firminho(Liverpool), Hazard (Chelsea), is good enough for us? really? We practically have the worst strikers of the top 6 teams and some people think that is ok? Manchester United, the biggest and greatest PL club have the worst striker of the top 6 who score an ordinary total of 16 goals last season but people are ok with it? How do these people think we won trophies under SAF? do people naively believe that it was thanks to SAF's genius alone? or because we arguably had the best players, best strikers in the league? do people think we'll magically catch up City and Liverpool to become a force again with players like Lukaku, fellaini, Young, Valencia, Mata, Lingard? City were champion because they had Aguero winning them games; Liverpool came close to winning the CL and are currently leading the league because they have a better striker; we're where we're because we have an average striker who was made the main player by a fraud of a manager.

16 league goals is an amount I'd expect from the main striker of the like of Everton, Bournemouth or Westham, not the main striker of Manchester United, and this without even pointing out his average overall game and skills. There's a reason why Rashford, a 20 year old is benching him now that we don't have a clown as manager anymore.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Agree. Of his generation, only Kane has a better goal scoring record in the prem. He will be at Utd for a very long time.....
They’re the only two of that age who’ve been in it for long enough tbf.

DBT85

I don't think we've seen the end of Lukaku at United for some time yet. Give him chances and he'll score.

The issue will always be does he hinder the team in the process of getting there. I'll give him more time yet. He needs to drop that weight and I think we'll see him banging them in.

sell him on same price we bought him.
He won;t go anywhere at that price, not with the wages he's on too.

Loublaze

ATLien
Manchester United used to have the best players in the league, the best strikers in Europe, but now some people are trying to convince us that Lukaku who isn't better than Aguero(Man City), Kane(Tottenham), Aubamyang(Arsenal), Lacazette(Arsenal), Firminho(Liverpool), Hazard (Chelsea), is good enough for us? really? We practically have the worst strikers of the top 6 teams and some people think that is ok? Manchester United, the biggest and greatest PL club have the worst striker of the top 6 who score an ordinary total of 16 goals last season but people are ok with it? How do these people think we won trophies under SAF? do people naively believe that it was thanks to SAF's genius alone? or because we arguably had the best players, best strikers in the league? do people think we'll magically catch up City and Liverpool to become a force again with players like Lukaku, fellaini, Young, Valencia, Mata, Lingard? City were champion because they had Aguero winning them games; Liverpool came close to winning the CL and are currently leading the league because they have a better striker; we're where we're because we have an average striker who was made the main player by a fraud of a manager.

16 league goals is an amount I'd expect from the main striker of the like of Everton, Bournemouth or Westham, not the main striker of Manchester United, and this without even pointing out his average overall game and skills. There's a reason why Rashford, a 20 year old is benching him now that we don't have a clown as manager anymore.
What rubbish you're spouting here. What have Aubameyang, Lacazette and Firmino achieved in the premier league that Lukaku hasn't? Lukaku wasn't benched for Rashford, he lost a father and Rashford took his chance in Lukaku's absence. Get a grip of yourself man, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's not going anywhere though, you'll have to endure him and I guess we're going to have to endure you telling us how much he doesn't fit even as he's blasting goals on a regular basis. You're so quick to jump the gun with your bias against him, you and several others. Ole is not even guaranteed to keep his United job beyond 6 months so what will you say if we hire a manager with a different ideology? Its not even like Lukaku is off form, he's scoring for fun under Ole, just like Pogba and Rashford are. Lukaku's father died when Solskjaer took over and that is probably the only reason he was benched on his return because Rashford is currently on fire and deserves to keep his place. You could even wait until you're perhaps proven right when Lukaku actually struggles, but no, crucify him immediately even when he's doing what the club bought him for.
He’s not going anywhere because no top club wants to spend big on a striker that has poor ball control and touch.

Morata blazing goals in Real Madrid but Benzema is still playing ahead of him.

Berbatov was our top scorer in 2010/2011 in the league and he still didn’t get the chance to play in final champions league.

Sturridge scored 20+ league goals, and now Klopp isn’t interested to give him chance to play ahead of Firmino.

Both Eto’o and Zlatan score lot of goals and they are considered to be not suitable in Pep’s style.

If you can’t even see the difference between playing fluid front three with playing like Everton and Jose era and if you still think football is about individual’s scoring goals rather than having players who are suitable as a team, I guess we have to endure you telling us how brilliant Lukaku is.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
@OverratedOpinion here you go, about 3 posts after our exchange there’s a defender of Lukaku going on about how amazing the record before 25 is and the only place from us he’d go from us is a big champions league team. To me that implies this poster regards him as much as lewa or Aguero. Which is just wrong.

@Loublaze i can see you’re a big fan/defender of Lukaku, what big champions league teams do you think would want to buy him if he’s too good for Everton? Genuinely curious.

Loublaze

ATLien
He’s not going anywhere because no top club wants to spend big on a striker that has poor ball control and touch.

Morata blazing goals in Real Madrid but Benzema is still playing ahead of him.

Berbatov was our top scorer in 2010/2011 in the league and he still didn’t get the chance to play in final champions league.

Sturridge scored 20+ league goals, and now Klopp isn’t interested to give him chance to play ahead of Firmino.

Both Eto’o and Zlatan score lot of goals and they are considered to be not suitable in Pep’s style.

If you can’t even see the difference between playing fluid front three with playing like Everton and Jose era and if you still think football is about individual’s scoring goals rather than having players who are suitable as a team, I guess we have to endure you telling us how brilliant Lukaku is.
1. You have no clue what top clubs want. Are you a top club professional scout? History shows Lukaku has always been coveted by top clubs, why should that change now when he's still banging in goals and only 25?

2.You're lying here, because Benzema outscored Morata at Real Madrid and it wasn't close. Blazing goals? You're having a laugh surely

3. Fergie told Berbatov at another point in the season that followed that he wanted a direct style with more speed. Dropping Berbatov for that game was harsh though, and Hernandez made no difference. You could say Fergie got it wrong. Also, it just appears those two had a falling out. Michael fecking Owen made the bench, it was obvious something was amiss. Berbatov had no kind words for Fergie when he left. The same thing happened to RVN before the 2006 league cup final when Saha was given the start instead. Both players were 30, the age of death for United strikers under Fergie it would appear. Andy Cole, Louis Saha and Dwight Yorke left at the same age (Yorke had his own fall out with Ferguson).

4. Klopp wanted his own players, its his priority. Sturridge is a sicknote who more than one manager accused of not giving his all. Lukaku's application has never been faulted or questioned by any manager in the PL.

5. You're making things up that you're hoping will come to fruition or apply at United. Those players may have not fitted Pep's style but what indicates to you that Solskjaer feels the same about Lukaku? Only time will tell, and dont bring up Rashford starting because again we both don't know if Lukaku would've started first had he not had a family bereavement. I haven't once made any remark about Lukaku being 'brilliant', but he's scoring for fun much to your chagrin apparently since you can only motivate yourself to bring up any reason why he shouldn't be at United even when he's our top scorer and currently delivering.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
@OverratedOpinion here you go, about 3 posts after our exchange there’s a defender of Lukaku going on about how amazing the record before 25 is and the only place from us he’d go from us is a big champions league team. To me that implies this poster regards him as much as lewa or Aguero. Which is just wrong.

@Loublaze i can see you’re a big fan/defender of Lukaku, what big champions league teams do you think would want to buy him if he’s too good for Everton? Genuinely curious.
Chelsea would take him back in a heartbeat. I could also see him at Spurs, PSG, Monaco or one of the serie A clubs. You'd be surprised.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Chelsea would take him back in a heartbeat. I could also see him at Spurs, PSG, Monaco or one of the serie A clubs. You'd be surprised.
They’re hardly big champions league clubs mate. They play in the champions league though yea. Only Chelsea there has won the champions league haven’t they?

You can go on about his goals scored all you like and that he’s ‘scoring for fun’ (I personally wouldn’t agree with that term you’ve used twice now) but it’s there for all to see he’s pretty limited in other areas, it’s no stretch to say he’s our least talented leading striker in 3 decades is it? And that fans would like better?

Edited one to won

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Just cause moratas wank doesnt mean we would take him. Hes no where near good enough for a top team either. Scoring a few tap ins against fodder the past few weeks doesnt change what happened all season with the awful control and countless missed easy chances.

Loublaze

ATLien
They’re hardly big champions league clubs mate. They play in the champions league though yea. Only Chelsea there has won the champions league haven’t they?

You can go on about his goals scored all you like and that he’s ‘scoring for fun’ (I personally wouldn’t agree with that term you’ve used twice now) but it’s there for all to see he’s pretty limited in other areas, it’s no stretch to say he’s our least talented leading striker in 3 decades is it? And that fans would like better?

Edited one to won
Just cause moratas wank doesnt mean we would take him. Hes no where near good enough for a top team either. Scoring a few tap ins against fodder the past few weeks doesnt change what happened all season with the awful control and countless missed easy chances.
None of us can pretend we know who'd take him on so this shouldn't even be a long discussion. The fact remains he's always been chased by big clubs so my question to you two is why would that change now? Weren't our clubs aware of his weaknesses? Maybe they felt his strengths made him worth all the transfer and wage money that has been put up for his services down the years.

Litch

They’re the only two of that age who’ve been in it for long enough tbf.
This is my point though, why does it always need the caveat? They have been 'in it' that long for good reason and we have seen across the league how many 'one season wonders' there have been. The idea that Rom year in, year out scores so many goals in order that he's the first non British player to do so before 25 is crazy when you think about the players that have come here from an early age and only played in big teams.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
None of us can pretend we know who'd take him on so this shouldn't even be a long discussion. The fact remains he's always been chased by big clubs so my question to you two is why would that change now? Weren't our clubs aware of his weaknesses? Maybe they felt his strengths made him worth all the transfer and wage money that has been put up for his services down the years.
You could say the same about why Liverpool spent so much on Carol at the time.
Football clubs don’t always make the right decisions plus we were kind of desperate at the time. You can not judge the quality of a player by their transfer fee.

I think we’ve looped enough now anyway, I’d prefer that he wasn’t our main striker and we looked for someone else, even if not immediately as I know we have other positions more in need.
You seem to be happy with him here and he’s doing well enough for you.

That’s football and opinions

Litch

Absolutely spot on. I honestly find it hilarious how someone with these so called weaknesses scores 105 before he's 25 and the only non British player to do so playing for primarily for Everton and West Brom. That's a lot of goals off his backside then cause of this lack of first touch. Most of the positions on a football, you can buy players of real quality but PL and international consistently over 20 goals in all comps a season year in, year out will cost you in today's money easily 90m.
A firing Rom in that Chelsea team is another points that they haven't got.....

Status
Not open for further replies.