4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

worldinmotion66

Every player is will waste chances at one point or another. It’s real life not FIFA. Did you not see Kane miss the same header that Lukaku made today? Yet you’re probably in the same crowd praising Kane or is he too wasteful for your taste too? One player doesn’t cost you points, or are you blaming him for the defensive mistakes too since he cost 90 mil?
I'm not denying him that. Every player misses chances, but top players also offer a lot more to their team, score goals from nothing or from half chances. Kane is a far better team player than Lukaku is.

Ultimately, I believed Lukaku to be a poacher when we signed him; a goal scorer, and little else. If he is this wasteful, then how does his inclusion benefit our team when his link up play isn't up to scratch?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
His main problem is as I said previously, he's great finisher on instinct. Give him the ball with no time to think and has to shoot with first touch and bang, he'll get it in. That's why his headers are great. They're all on instinct.

Give him time to think and get the ball on his preferred leg and so and he'll miss 9 times out of 10.
A great finisher of tap ins?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He did very well today but that's just what Lukaku is. He looks very good against the mid table & lesser teams but just not performing & scoring goals when the team needs him in big games. And it's not just in United, even in the World Cup he failed to score in big games with world class players behind him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really good game today. Held the ball up well, brought others into the game and his passing was on point, as well as bagging two goals.

First chance was a difficult one, but should've used Lingard instead of Sanchez in the first place. Did everything right on the second. Put Hart on his arse, got himself in between the ball and the defender, and was only let down by the worst refereeing displace I've seen in some time. More of this please.

reddevil702

I'm not denying him that. Every player misses chances, but top players also offer a lot more to their team, score goals from nothing or from half chances. Kane is a far better team player than Lukaku is.

Ultimately, I believed Lukaku to be a poacher when we signed him; a goal scorer, and little else. If he is this wasteful, then how does his inclusion benefit our team when his link up play isn't up to scratch?
I will agree that his overall play has been off to start the season, however he proved last year that he has more to offer than just goal scoring with his speed, crossing and ability to win aerial duels. I’m not claiming he’s on the level of someone like Benzema but to say he doesn’t add anything outside of scoring is where I strongly disagree.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Feels weird saying this given he bagged a brace, but he really needs to work on his finishing. He misses far too many clear cut chances to be a starting centre forward for a title challenging team.

I do think he should've got the pen today though. Had we not already been awarded one I'm pretty sure we'd have got it.

Sorry, but I massively disagree here. Lukaku is a far better team player than Kane.

L1nk

Can't believe he is criticised after this game.
The issue is that, even though yes he scored 2, he was largely wasteful yet again, and missed what should of been easy chances, and whilst this may not cost us against teams like Burnley, it will indeed cost us against teams that actually challenge us.

Daniel_M7

Top performance today from Lukaku. Probably one of his best games, if not the best for United. It looked like he was playing against children the whole game. A beast in the air, took the right runs, made the right passes, created chances for himself.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yes. And as a striker. That's got nothing to do with it. I'm saying there was no need to overcomplicate things. He's a talented striker who could be one of the world's best on his day. Hell he could have had 5 more goals to his name already. But he misses to many easy chances. It can be the difference of 10 points at the end of the season especially if it involves the first goal as we aren't to great at coming back these days.

I remember under rvps first season we hardly created many chances for him but my word was he ruthless in front of goal. He also created goals from nothing and impossible angles. The likes of ole and rvn were very similar and ruthless. Can you see a ruthless streak in lukaku? Not so sure. Also he is a flat track bully. Stats back it. I hope he improves his record against big teams this season.
Actually RvP had a worse conversion rate in his first season here than Lukaku did last year, 18.4% to 18.6%.

The difference is that RvP also recieved chances more often that season than Lukaku did last year, 22.1 min per chance to 33.4 min per chance. Which, as you say, was a year in which we didn't think we created much for Van Persie.

Or, if you prefer, 40 "big chances" in RvP's first season to Lukaku's 22 "big chances" last year. Of those big chances RvP scored 17, Lukaku scored 11.

Which is interesting as it shows that a) last year Lukaku converted both chances and big chances more efficiently than peak RVP did and b) RvP had the luxury of missing more big chances (23) than Lukaku actually recieved (22).

Eugenius

He had a good game, of course.

We all know he scores for fun against the Burnleys of the world. Didn't offer much to bat away the doubts that he's not quite good enough to be a guaranteed starter (as he is now) in a team who's longer term ambitions are to challenge for the PL and CL. His link up play/off the ball was poor in the first half and vastly improved in the second. He benefitted from the space as Burnley played higher up the pitch.

He does miss too many chances though. Fine today when Burnley are rubbish and we can create chances at will. But against the top 6 he needs to be burying all of those chances he missed.

RedDevil5

Could've been better (and should've taken the pen IMO) but he was solid today. Hopefully this spurs him on for the rest of the season.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Actually RvP had a worse conversion rate in his first season here than Lukaku did last year, 18.4% to 18.6%.

The difference is that RvP also recieved chances more often that season than Lukaku did last year, 22.1 min per chance to 33.4 min per chance. Which, as you say, was a year in which we didn't think we created much for Van Persie.

Or, if you prefer, 40 "big chances" in RvP's first season to Lukaku's 22 "big chances" last year. Of those big chances RvP scored 17, Lukaku scored 11.

Which is interesting as it shows that a) last year Lukaku converted both chances and big chances more efficiently than peak RVP did and b) RvP had the luxury of missing more big chances (23) than Lukaku actually recieved (22).
RvP could pull out wonder goals like versus Villa though and had far superior control and technique.

roseguy64

He was superb today, a constant menace.

All top strikers miss chances and scores goals. I want him missing more, as it means we are creating them.
Correct. Far too often he's been given only 1 or 2 chances for the game. He'd have to be Ronaldo or Messi to be able to keep up the conversion rate. Once we're creating enough chances he'll score plenty. If he's around the top of the scoring charts by end of the season is what matters. That'll mean the team will have done well also.

roseguy64

Standards have dropped massively around here.

Couldn't agree with this more. He's not lazy, per se, but he rests a lot, and he doesn't seem switched on or alert enough to make movements that will help his teammates. He is all power and has no football intelligence.
He has plenty of football intelligence. You'll often see him pointing to his teammates the correct pass they're supposed to make.

Walters_19_MuFc

He missed some chances today, but when he plays like he played today, he's unplayable. Bullied the Burnley back line. Great game.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Thought he played really well today, could and should have scored more but thought he bullied the Burnley centre halves. His direct running really caused them problems.

James Peril

He played well today, and even broke his long record of not scoring more than one goal in a Premier League-game. Was it West Ham on the opening day last season? He is also allowed to miss chances when he’s scored two, not so much when we’re at 0-0 against Spurs.

Let’s hope he now breaks more records, because this is a game we fully expect him to score in. He’ll score 15 goals against relegation fodder and mid-table clubs, he also did it last season. Now we meed more action and goals against the better teams, or it’s going to be the same tone as the last few weeks. It doesn’t help with goals here if he’s completely out of the game against Liverpool.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
RvP could pull out wonder goals like versus Villa though and had far superior control and technique.
Oh yeah, RvP was obviously a much better all round player that season. It just wasn't because he was more "ruthless" than Lukaku. If we're criticising the latter for anything it should be the rest of his game more than his finishing.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Oh yeah, RvP was obviously a much better all round player that season. It just wasn't because he was more "ruthless" than Lukaku. If we're criticising the latter for anything it should be the rest of his game more than his finishing.
Fair enough. Lukaku does seem to play within himself too often. We know he can be a marauding beast destroying defenders, but he is inconsistent. Was hoping Henry could have a good influence on him.

Water Melon

Good game today, got a brace, created a lot. Is it me or does he seem to have gained some weight and lost a bit of pace?

Meep

Yeah, he was good today. Should have taken the penalty and should have been given the obvious penalty in the end (and taken that as well). Still had time though to look a bit heavy, and clumsy on the ball. I think a Lukaku with better preparation nutritionwise could and would be the beast.

James Peril

Yeah, he was good today. Should have taken the penalty and should have been given the obvious penalty in the end (and taken that as well). Still had time though to look a bit heavy, and clumsy on the ball. I think a Lukaku with better preparation nutritionwise could and would be the beast.
As for the penalty, nobody bitched when Pogba scored two in a row. Nobody would have said anything if he scored today, although the silly stepping does not help when he misses. Lukaku took one last season and missed. If anything, Lukaku’s body language is very telling when he shoots, so probably best if he stays away from pens. He didn’t take them at Everton either.

Grande

I thought he was awful.

Two easy finishes, and countless misses that were put on a plate for him. It was bouncing off him in the first half and he only looked decent in the second because he has top pace and had loads of space. I still think he's a bit lazy, or at the very least not sharp or busy enough. He's not good enough for a top level club.
Scouse lover sounds about right.

That’s how the worst rival fans would sum up a performance, just to be dicks om the enemy forum.

I’d say 8 on a scale to 10 should be the least if you:

Score two goals (if you think the first is on a plate, you know little of fotball. If you think the second has nothing to do with good actions, equally).

Are constructively involved in 80% of your team’s chances, on a day when your team creates quite few chances.

Create for yourself, through runs, speed, strength and dribling, four very good scoring chances where one should be a penalty and another a red card.

Set up your teammates several times in good positions, from passing from deep, heading into space or crossing, including setting up a mate for a penalty kick.

Don’t actually score three own goals to cancel it all out.

With a normal ref, he’s the match winner par excellence. With Moss, he’s still match winner x2.

Oh, but it was Burnley, whom Kane, Salah and Aguero constantly score five against.

Cloud7

To be fair Drogba’s game was never about being primarily a goal scorer. His hold up play is some of the best I’ve ever seen from any player, paired with some excellent technical ability. He brought far far more to a team than just his goals. A striker like him would be perfect for our team right now actually.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He’s getting there but no way was he motm, despite 2 goals. Shaw & Fellaini were better.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In the commentator on the stream I was watching on said it's the first time he has scored two goals in the league since his debut? That can't be true, right?

AndyJ1985

In the commentator on the stream I was watching on said it's the first time he has scored two goals in the league since his debut? That can't be true, right?
Well as a team we don't score many goals, so it's not that surprising.

Carolina Red

Staff
Can't believe he is criticised after this game.
Me either. He shot on goal in his first 1v1 and Hart made a spectacular save... he gets another 1v1, does the keeper, and then before he can shoot he’s rugby tackled by Mee. I mean... maybe he could have scored the first one, but again, Hart made a spectacular save. I don’t know what folks want sometimes.

SirAF

Ageist
Me either. He shot on goal in his first 1v1 and Hart made a spectacular save... he gets another 1v1, does the keeper, and then before he can shoot he’s rugby tackled by Mee. I mean... maybe he could have scored the first one, but again, Hart made a spectacular save. I don’t know what folks want sometimes.
Agreed, I thought he was very good!

Stadjer

Couodnt watch the game but im glad that he managed to open the score this time... he should have done it against Spurs and Brighton too but hopefully he is done missing those huge chances now.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Couodnt watch the game but im glad that he managed to open the score this time... he should have done it against Spurs and Brighton too but hopefully he is done missing those huge chances now.
He scored against Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.