4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedChisel

Played really well today. His movement and passing was great. I'm a big fan of Roms and I hope he can kick on now and go and score 20+ league goals this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For all the talk about ‘should have had a penalty’ - not having that at all. Was never a pen for me, he wasn’t tripped, pulled etc. There was ‘contact’, but no foul.

haram

Wright said he was unplayable but the geniuses on here think otherwise.

Kammy26

Was good today. The misses are the only negative.

He should try lifting the ball a bit when he’s one on one. He always hits it low and too near the keeper.

He should watch some videos of van nistelrooy one on ones. He you used to smack it in the top corner from 5 yards out.

DarkXaero

A much better showing than his previous ones, but he was still extremely wasteful. The one on one where he did the stepover was the wrong move because the stepover slowed down the ball (and his run), and allowed the defender to catch up with him. You can do stepovers one on one vs a goalkeeper where there are no defenders around you, not when they're trying to catch up and put in a last ditch challenge. There are quicker ways to round the GK 1v1, without relying on stepovers. The one where Hart made a save, Lukaku could have shifted more to his left, going past the keeper and finished on a tighter angle with his strong foot (would have been a relatively simple finish). Lukaku lacks composure when he has time and he doesn't have good finishing technique like other world class strikers (now and in the past). These are the limitations we're going to have to tolerate as long as Lukaku remains our #1 striker option.

Loublaze

ATLien
MOTM and got me a lot of fantasy points as my captain! Bring on Watford!

Foxbatt

I know he scored two goals but he was poor today because he missed too many easy chances. A top class player HAS to put at least one or two away.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I know he scored two goals but he was poor today because he missed too many easy chances. A top class player HAS to put at least one or two away.
He did put two away.

AgentP

It's just his 3rd game of the season. He'll get more consistent as he gets sharper. He scored two goals. More than happy with that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very good performance. He should have finished off the chance against Spurs but people are being harsh regarding his non converted opportunities yesterday. A striker is going to miss easy chances every now and then.

Foxbatt

It is not now and then he misses easy chances. A top class striker will miss chances but Lukaku misses too many easy chances that make the difference between 3 points and 0 points.

Stadjer

He scored against Brighton
I know but he should have scored earlier in that match.. he had a decent chance when it was 0-0.

I was more about that he missed big chances in those games when it was 0-0. Those games and results could have been very different if Lukaku would have put United 1-0 ahead.

haram

Big strong strikers basically have to get shanked in order to get anything, which is why Drogba did what he did, but then you get a reputation for being a big fanny so its not an ideal situation either
Perhaps Rashford should have started rolling around after Bardsley kicked him as well. Rashford ends up being the one sent off though. If refs are not gonna protect you then how can people really blame players for exaggerating contact.

Rossa

People slating him for not being nimble and slow on the turn. I thought he looked rather composed in tight areas, decent on the turn and his technique was good. Furthermore, which other striker (bar Auba perhaps) would have that easily outpaced Mee for his one on one with Hart (that should have resulted in a clear penalty)? It was a good pass from Pogba, but the run was really something. If we can use him like that, very, very few defenders are able to stop him.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I was impressed with him after the Rashford red. Reminiscent of the Chelsea game last season.

I don't care that he didn't score 4. I enjoyed the real number 9-ness in his overall display.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Came in here to see videos of his goals - none. Managed to watch 3 misses though :lol:

shaky

Lukaku just scored twice to match Drogba's PL goal record , on a weekend where Salah, Kane and Aguero managed to muster up one entire shot on target between them, and he's still getting criticised. Got to laugh at the fans who blame Mourinho for all the negativity around the club when they need to look closer to home for a lot of it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Lukaku just scored twice to match Drogba's PL goal record , on a weekend where Salah, Kane and Aguero managed to muster up one entire shot on target between them, and he's still getting criticised. Got to laugh at the fans who blame Mourinho for all the negativity around the club when they need to look closer to home for a lot of it.
Its all fun and games when you play a Burnley side on its last legs and create 4 chances, scoring two. When you play a half decent side where you require your striker to be clinical enough to put away the one chance at goal he's going to get, you're going to cringe at how he handled the two one on ones, just like he missed an open goal against Spurs and a free header at Brighton.

You can laugh all you want at the fans who are critical but if that Burnley win alone proves to be the validation you need, you are just gullible.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He was immense in his all round play and holding the ball up yesterday, Burnley defenders couldn't get near him and those defenders (Tarkowski, Mee) were praised constantly last season. I was all for him sitting on the bench until he got the sharpness back but looks like it's coming now, hopefully he continues scoring with Belgium and then goes on a run for us.

Still needs to be more clinical with his finishing, as some have said when he has more time on the ball it seems as though he overthinks it. The 1v1 he had with Hart would have been a perfect hat-trick if we tapped it in with the left.

Woziak

Romelu is only 25 and still improving, like most United fans I've been frustrated with him recently, the miss against Leicester, at least 2 in each game against Brighton and Spurs and probably 2 more yesterday. The frightning thing is he will only get better and better and unlike Kane or Icardi he has elite level pace.

The secret to unlocking his full potential is for United to go and buy the best all round Striker in World Football under the age of 23 so he has genuine competition week in week out. Both Martial and Rashford are not out and out Target men.

Having said all of that I really do love Lukaku's humility, his indomitable spirit and his genuine appreciation for what the game has given him with his rise from such humble roots. I also like him playing in the 4321 formation yesterday that encourages Sanchez and Lingard to play as inverted no 10's allowing the wing backs to create width!

So Big Rom has 3 PL goals so far, he probably should have 7 but I still think he will bag 25 this season so let's hope the rest of the team also start finding the back of the Net because we will need 80 Pl goals to make the top 4 this season!

People slating him for not being nimble and slow on the turn. I thought he looked rather composed in tight areas, decent on the turn and his technique was good. Furthermore, which other striker (bar Auba perhaps) would have that easily outpaced Mee for his one on one with Hart (that should have resulted in a clear penalty)? It was a good pass from Pogba, but the run was really something. If we can use him like that, very, very few defenders are able to stop him.
That's exactly how we should be using him, i don't know why we don't do it more. He's pretty poor in his hold up play other than being big and strong. Partly its on him though, he doesn't often offer those runs. Even for the one v one he started from a standstill after the ball had been played. He should have been on the move as soon as Pogba got it under control.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
His overall game was brilliant yesterday! He should have had 4 or 5 I think but then again some of the chances he had were not even chances for most strikers around. He just burned passed Mee like he wasn't there.

Matt007a

Had Ben Mee on toast yesterday. It's so rare to see a man of such size and power be able to burn people for pace like that. He is unplayable on a physical level.

His touch still needs work and he did miss a couple of sitters, but his general play was excellent. Playing quicker football and being more direct helps him so much because it makes more use of his exceptional physical attributes. Sure he can hold the ball up in a static position, but it's when he's running at defenders, or after balls over the top that he is really unstoppable.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He’s a very good player, he’s just not quite a great one. He’ll score all the goals you expect him to of a season, but none of the ones you don’t.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
He's great at finishing goals directly from assists, crosses etc.,but whenever he's running in on goal, he nearly always seems to fluff it. Strikers like Aguero are lethal at putting away chances like that. If Lukaku sorts that part of his game out, we should be ok.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think his size went against him a bit in that Mee challenge for the one on one.

If that's Hazard or Salah and the exact same thing happens, I think the ref gives a penalty every single time.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
As I have always said he is a top striker but is he the world class striker that can lead us consistently? I am not sure though I must say since around Spring he has been playing pretty well

James Peril

Perhaps Rashford should have started rolling around after Bardsley kicked him as well. Rashford ends up being the one sent off though. If refs are not gonna protect you then how can people really blame players for exaggerating contact.
He should have waited for the ref to make a call then, not get in Bardsley’s face immediately. Rashford ended up being sent off for being a brat, not because the ref did anything wrong up until that point.

JK-27

Amazing. Lukaku scores two goals, goals that won us the match. Burnley coach says Lukaku was brilliant today, Wright (one of the best strikers of the Prem era) says he was unplayable today. Two men with a wealth of football knowledge say he played great, and yet you think he was poor? Ridiculous.

James Peril

Amazing. Lukaku scores two goals, goals that won us the match. Burnley coach says Lukaku was brilliant today, Wright (one of the best strikers of the Prem era) says he was unplayable today. Two men with a wealth of football knowledge say he played great, and yet you think he was poor? Ridiculous.
To be fair, a manager will always find excuses when they lose - and Ian Wright certainly isn't one of the best strikers in the PL-era (and is known to spout a lot of crap). Lukaku was good yesterday, even I'll admit that, but not because the above-mentioned said it. Lukaku's second goal happens because Burnley sucked at defending, not because Lukaku did anything great (other than being at the right place - which is important). I guess the poster meant that in open play, when he had the chance, Lukaku did a pretty bad job. Through on goal and he missed, shot from the left side in the second half, counter where he fails to find Lingard through on goal etc. He was certainly not poor though.

I didn't watch the game so can't comment too much.

Glad he scored two goals - I need him to be more ruthless in front of goal. The second one vs one he missed was very poor doing this step over nonsense. He should of just picked a corner and put it away.

Anywho let's hope he can build off this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
To be fair, a manager will always find excuses when they lose - and Ian Wright certainly isn't one of the best strikers in the PL-era (and is known to spout a lot of crap). Lukaku was good yesterday, even I'll admit that, but not because the above-mentioned said it. Lukaku's second goal happens because Burnley sucked at defending, not because Lukaku did anything great (other than being at the right place - which is important). I guess the poster meant that in open play, when he had the chance, Lukaku did a pretty bad job. Through on goal and he missed, shot from the left side in the second half, counter where he fails to find Lingard through on goal etc. He was certainly not poor though.
It wasn't excuse. Burnley manager was complimenting Lukaku's game.

Crimson King

I think his size went against him a bit in that Mee challenge for the one on one.

If that's Hazard or Salah and the exact same thing happens, I think the ref gives a penalty every single time.
I thought he was really unlucky there. Perhaps shouldn't have taken it around the GK, but he did it expertly and then as he winds up to shoot Mee jumps on his back. He wasn't goal side, the opponent had an open goal, and he came from behind, not the side. If that's on the half why line to break up a counter it's a foul all day long.

It wasn't good defending, he took a chance and got away with it imo. I think he knew what he was doing when he handled it too, later on.

Anyway, Lukaku's all round game was good yesterday. He won his fair share of duels, bullied their CBs and showed a few nice touches, all things he can get regularly criticised for not doing enough of.

Needs to do it now regularly against better teams though. Although, in his defence, he's normally pretty isolated in those games because of the way we often approach them under Mourinho.

Status
Not open for further replies.