4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

That is what he is there for, to put those chances away.
Whilst I don't disagree, you will see games where he will score a goal but have a stinker and he will get slated a lot. This was the reverse situation

Pscholes18

Hope he continues to play like that and we know he can finish so i give him a pass on this one.
We just seemed half a step away from scoring 2 or 3 today, it was really frustrating.
A pass? He only scores against mid table clubs....PSG he was gifted 2....sell him.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
A pass? He only scores against mid table clubs....PSG he was gifted 2....sell him.
I think that’s harsh on his PSG goals, he took them well to be fair. But I agree with you, no tears shed the day he’s sold.

manunited1919

Whilst I don't disagree, you will see games where he will score a goal but have a stinker and he will get slated a lot. This was the reverse situation
Yes. Most games if those chances fall to him he puts them away. He just had a bad game in the aspect of his game where he is strongest.

gavdim2002

Played very well today. All this "he can't score against the top 6 sides" nonsens is way off. He just scored two against PSG. The ball that did hit the crossbar didn´t know if Arsenal are in the top 6 or not! All this "Kane can't score in August" (until he can) etc. is football fans nonsens and that includes that "Rom can´t score against a top-six side".

Reactions: Cheimoon

Walters_19_MuFc

Today we had the opposite from Lukaku, which goes to show how fickle fans are.

By that I mean, I felt his overall play was fantastic. Hold up, link play, movement, etc. However, what let him down today, which hasnt been the case in the last few games is his finishing. Could have easily walked away with a hat trick today, but as I said, everything other than that was fine.

Ultimately, as a striker however, you are judged on goals and Lukaku failed to take all of his chances today.

cyberman

Good job 90 percent of the EPL are mid table sides then isn't it? Without him we would be presently sixth and out of the Cl.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Just frustrating. He did so well against PSG midweek. Then he cannot tap in from two yards out. Now they never all go in. But still. Frustrating to say the least.

Greck

Are good link up play and good finishing a pick one situation? At United the minimum is both and at a consistent level for that matter. There's no medal for ticking only one of those boxes most weeks

Velvet Revolver

Some of the Lukaku defenders amaze me. At no point has he been good enough for United. Even when he scored a cpl of goals or had a few decent games, it's so blatantly obvious how far off he is compared to the genuinely elite strikers in Europe I.E Kane/Aguero/Lewandowski etc

Please stop coming into the thread and claiming nonsense like "When he scores a goal and doesn't have a good game- sell him and cut our losses" A good game for Lukaku is a B- game for an elite striker. An average game he looks like a championship player.
Ok! by your standards united should be in the championship with all the championship level players we got! No one is saying he is the best striker at united let alone the PL. And having a different opinion to yours does not mean one is defending a fault!

goin4glory

Ok! by your standards united should be in the championship with all the championship level players we got! No one is saying he is the best striker at united let alone the PL. And having a different opinion to yours does not mean one is defending a fault!
You don't prove anything using strawman arguments.

Sylar

Are good link up play and good finishing a pick one situation? At United the minimum is both and at a consistent level for that matter. There's no medal for ticking only one of those boxes most weeks
I didn't say it wasn't so I'm not sure what you're arguing

Janson

Just frustrating. He did so well against PSG midweek. Then he cannot tap in from two yards out. Now they never all go in. But still. Frustrating to say the least.
In no way was that a tap in though. That was a ball coming with pace from a cross. It's not that easy to control that. Yes he should have scored, but at no point was there an easy tap in he had in this game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In no way was that a tap in though. That was a ball coming with pace from a cross. It's not that easy to control that. Yes he should have scored, but at no point was there an easy tap in he had in this game.
Cmon, that’s absolutely bread and butter for a pro. he didn’t even need to hit it hard just get it on target.

Trizy

Isn't it mad that his overall holdup and passing was bang average today yet we applaud it as ''very good'' because of such a low bar he has set for himself in regards to those qualities? Benzema, Kane, Aguero and Firmino do everything 'good' he did today as standard but they get at least 2 goals too.

He will always score goals but not enough and doesn't bring enough to the team to be our main striker. We sacrifice creativity by playing such an average footballer so when he doesn't score he looks completely terrible and in turn can really hurt results.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You see easier chances missed by better players all the time though.
I’m not saying it’s not missable, but Lukaku himself would tell you that’s a change you’d expect to score 9/10.

Raven

I’m not saying it’s not missable, but Lukaku himself would tell you that’s a change you’d expect to score 9/10.
No doubt. I'm making the point that Lukaku was more unlucky today than not good enough.

Raven

Isn't it mad that his overall holdup and passing was bang average today yet we applaud it as ''very good'' because of such a low bar he has set for himself in regards to those qualities? Benzema, Kane, Aguero and Firmino do everything 'good' he did today as standard but they get at least 2 goals too.

He will always score goals but not enough and doesn't bring enough to the team to be our main striker. We sacrifice creativity by playing such an average footballer so when he doesn't score he looks completely terrible and in turn can really hurt results.
They all score at least 2 goals a game do they? I forgot that they're all twice as good goalscorers as either Ronaldo or Messi.

Solver

Exactly, basically cost us the game along with DDG.
Don't really agree on ddg. Everyone having a pop- that ball struck the way it was by a player with a hammer for a foot, terrible weather conditions and the ball changing direction at the very last micro-second.... no keeper saves that. On the other hand, yes, Lukaku deserves the criticism he is getting today- you really can't miss those chances if you are a top player playing for a top club

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
It was easier to score that one that hit the bar than miss and I have no idea why he didn't hit that one first time after the pass from Rashford. He always takes a touch instead of just hitting it. That said, I thought he had a good game apart from his finishing.

Andersons Dietician

Not an easy tap in but that 3rd one where Rashford slipped him through for me he should just be taking that first time and swiping it in instead of taking that touch which was one of his rare poor touches in the game.

That first one, the cross that isn’t easy, especially coming on to it under pressure. He should have scored, mind but not going to crucify him for that and the one he made himself, he’s the only player in our team that could create that opportunity and in the end just good goalkeeping from Leno who to be fair wasn’t shabby on that one I mentioned earlier.

Trizy

They all score at least 2 goals a game do they? I forgot that they're all twice as good goalscorers as either Ronaldo or Messi.
It's not just about goal scoring. They're all creators. Firmino and Benzema especially. Their movement in the 9/10 area is fantastic and opens up so much space for attackers. Kane and Aguero do this too albeit while scoring feck loads.

Raven

It's not just about goal scoring. They're all creators. Firmino and Benzema especially. Their movement in the 9/10 area is fantastic and opens up so much space for attackers. Kane and Aguero do this too albeit while scoring feck loads.
But that's exactly what Lukaku did today? Just happened not to get a goal. So what's your point?

billybee99

Leno closed the angle really good. He was behind his back.
Leno closed the angle because Lukaku took an extra touch and, thus, gave the keeper time to close the angle. Any top striker in the world hits that first time.

Last edited:

goin4glory

Going by your post history ( a quick glance) , it does look like you hate Lukaku. So straw-man or not, you are not going to listen to any arguments. So stop showing your higher than thou attitude. It doesn't suit you especially in a internet football forum
My opinion on Lukaku is consistent, he simply isn't good enough. My post was aimed at people who were claiming lukaku critics were moving the goalposts based on one off performances which isn't true.

It isn't higher than thou attitude to point out the waste of time it is to engage with someone using straw man tactics because they don't suit anyone with a shred of self awareness.

forevrared

He's officially reached the point with some of you cnuts where goals are never good enough and every game without one is reason enough to sell him. Get a fecking grip.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The thing about that first shot is that he thought the defender would get it. He was not expecting it to fall to him. I know i am setting the bar high, but Ronaldo always prepares for the fact that the defender may miss a ball. Its one of the many things that makes him so clinical.

Look i still want to keep Lukaku but i just hope he is more clinical in the future. Surely Ole must be having a word with him.

Velvet Revolver

My opinion on Lukaku is consistent, he simply isn't good enough. My post was aimed at people who were claiming lukaku critics were moving the goalposts based on one off performances which isn't true.

It isn't higher than thou attitude to point out the waste of time it is to engage with someone using straw man tactics because they don't suit anyone with a shred of self awareness.

You may have an opinion on Lukaku, that’s fair enough but that doesn’t mean others have to agree with it! It is however very true that the critics are on full force when one game goes wrong but they never concede when things are right. That is not criticism that’s bias and it’s fine if you are biased that’s your deal but don’t discard others argument as straw man when you yourself don’t have the patience or regard to listen to other views that don’t align with you.

By your definition of consistency none of the players at United are good enough then isn’t it?

DBT85

The thing about that first shot is that he thought the defender would get it. He was not expecting it to fall to him. I know i am setting the bar high, but Ronaldo always prepares for the fact that the defender may miss a ball. Its one of the many things that makes him so clinical.

Look i still want to keep Lukaku but i just hope he is more clinical in the future. Surely Ole must be having a word with him.
They guy scored 6 in 3 in the games before this, its difficult even with the miss today to say "be more clinical". The second one was a great save by Leno.

Even the best miss chances.

Fluctuation0161

Played very well today. All this "he can't score against the top 6 sides" nonsens is way off. He just scored two against PSG. The ball that did hit the crossbar didn´t know if Arsenal are in the top 6 or not! All this "Kane can't score in August" (until he can) etc. is football fans nonsens and that includes that "Rom can´t score against a top-six side".
It's not that he can't do anything. Its the inconsistency that worries me. I never know which Lukaku is going to turn up. Ultimately I think he is a confidence player.

scholesyboy18

He is a decent player and had a decent game bar the finishing. He technique for the rashford through ball was totally wrong, instead of closing the body had he opened up with a touch on his right feet, it would have been a simple goal. He could have also hit first time.
Overall his general play poor, hold up play is non-existent. Utd should be looking out for a striker ideally or replace him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
We’ve reached that point with Lukaku where he’s clearly a good player who is for me when fit, capable of being a very useful player for a top side but possibly not deserving of a regular starting berth for side with ambitions to reclaim the title.

He has a poor base level, so an off day can mean him missing bread and butter chances (regularly and more so than a Suarez, Kane, Lewa or Aguero) would do, or his touch will be hit and miss and he will be laboured.

On a good day he can be a fearsome striker to contend with.

For what it’s worth his overall play was good yesterday but he did admittedly fluff his lines in front of goal more than you’d expext of an elite striker.

I think the issue we have with Lukaku is his price tag, and the fact he may see himself as a guy who has to start every game, and likewise fans who think because we have spent that much .. we should sell him if he’s clearly not starter material (even though he would be so useful as a sub/rotation option).

If he was a 40m purchase I think everyone would love to have him around the squad.

Kostov

He was good in the build up and fought for every ball, but those misses cost us. He needs to take those chances against good teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.