4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStarUnited

Some people don't get it. It's not that Rashford needed to be excellent on the ball to make others come into the game and for the team to play well. It was how much he ran. Constant, vertical, lateral runs!
Lukaku doesn't run hard. Doesn't run to press, doesn't run to sprint wide for out balls. Check the stats. He's one of the lowest running CF's around. This needs to be grasped.
Beautifully put

sam147

Nothing frustrates me more than the way he puts his arms out ahead of him after a team mate takes a shot. Like he wouldnt miss it anyway and like he is in a good position. He was literally stood still outside the box when Pogba got the ball he literally ran infront of him rather than creating space wide. Then when Pogba took the shot he had the nerve to point ahead of him.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Still believe in the big guy. He's going through his worst drought in like forever. He's very demanding of himself and knows he's not the business at the moment.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was decent enough when he first came on. Looked like being dropped had lit a fire and he was up for it. His touch seemed better, he had some nice passes and interplays with others, and he just generally looked better.

Unfortunately it only lasted about 10 minutes, then he dropped back to how he's been playing for the rest of this season.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He was decent enough when he first came on. Looked like being dropped had lit a fire and he was up for it. His touch seemed better, he had some nice passes and interplays with others, and he just generally looked better.

Unfortunately it only lasted about 10 minutes, then he dropped back to how he's been playing for the rest of this season.
What you saw after 10 minutes, was the big guy getting tired.
When you are so heavy, it is quite normal to feel tired (after some running) and as a result stop running and get sloppy.
Perhaps he should only be allowed to play in the last 10 minutes of a match?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What you saw after 10 minutes, was the big guy getting tired.
When you are so heavy, it is quite normal to feel tired (after some running) and as a result stop running and get sloppy.
Perhaps he should only be allowed to play in the last 10 minutes of a match?
While I do agree that he is too big (although I also believe some people are over-stating it), I think it was more confidence related.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some people don't get it. It's not that Rashford needed to be excellent on the ball to make others come into the game and for the team to play well. It was how much he ran. Constant, vertical, lateral runs!
Lukaku doesn't run hard. Doesn't run to press, doesn't run to sprint wide for out balls. Check the stats. He's one of the lowest running CF's around. This needs to be grasped.
I completely agree and I am stunned that others can't see this.
Rashford wasn't great, but by him moving around constantly, defenders were being pulled out of position, allowing other attackers to create chances and shoot.
Once the big guy came on, after 10 minutes, he was tired and stopped moving.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What concerns me more than his physique and form is his timing of jumps. He missed 2 free headers, failing to even touch the ball in 1 (off Mata corner and 2nd instance a Pogba cross (Edit: the one GifLord posted above)). I mean, players jumping a few milli-seconds early and hence faiing to score is one thing, but he is missing the jumps by a couple of seconds at the very least.

Darkhorsez

Well put

luke511

It's like playing with 10 men when he's on the field, he's not enough of a nuisance for the opposition. He had 75 minutes worth of energy on their defense and he still couldn't cause them problems.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
While I do agree that he is too big (although I also believe some people are over-stating it), I think it was more confidence related.
Confidence does not stop you from moving.
Like Rashford/Lingard, if you are not good at creating and scoring, then just keep moving. Pull defenders out of position, to help the likes of Martial, Mata, Pogba to create/score.
After 10 minutes, Lukaku was no longer capable of running or constantly moving.
Here's a question: Is there a heavier striker in the EPL, right now?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Very good observations. Similar situation as last season with RvN vs. Saha, scoring ability against overall movements. Atm Rashford seems like a better option.

Canagel

Why wasn't he closing down the defenders? You're fresh, you just came on but he's still jogging around.

Kopral Jono

I believe in Lukaku still and like I said his heart is firmly in the right place, but boy where have his intelligent runs gone? Last season, even when he wasn't scoring, he'd still make quality runs just to create space for the other attackers to run into. Now watching him play is like watching an out of form Bas Dost without the aerial prowess.

He's much better than this.

Aloysius's Back 3

The chance that rashford missed where he took the ball out a little too wider but still smashed it on target - that would not have happened with Lukaku, due to the poor runs, due to the poor first touch, due to the poor striking of the ball.

Rashford will get in to some form quicker than Lukaku and as @Hoof The Ball said- even if he doesnt; the football gets the best out of the team more.

Bola

Like others have said, out attacking fluidity appeared to completely disappear when he came on. It was a return to long balls and quick turnovers in possession. Big Rom also seemed to be making very little movement and I wonder if that is one of the main causes for the above?

Does not deserve to start at the moment and we look better off without him in that central role. I don't want to write the guy off yet, but wonder if it is worth trying him on the right? He seems to be better (this season) when out there and I wonder if the change will kick start some movement in him

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What concerns me more than his physique and form is his timing of jumps. He missed 2 free headers, failing to even touch the ball in 1 (off Mata corner and 2nd instance a Pogba cross (Edit: the one GifLord posted above)). I mean, players jumping a few milli-seconds early and hence faiing to score is one thing, but he is missing the jumps by a couple of seconds at the very least.
It's a matter of timing. He needs to work on it with the coaches. Why this isn't being looked at I don't know.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
On a more lighthearted note (I laughed quite hard while writing this), so not to be taken too seriously:

This has to be due to different angles or camera work or something. No way has he almost doubled in size since last season.
I assure you, he has increased in size significantly.
They do say that the camera adds 10 pounds - perhaps there were many cameras on him at the time?
I'm not quite sure what is going on here, but if a bodybuilder took large quantities of drugs, this is the kind of size increase I'd expect (over a 6 month period).
I guess he has genetics for holding onto a lot of mass and he can't stop the weight gain.

The first 2 photos demonstrate my point.

At our club we have people employed to monitor the fitness (and metrics, including weight) of our players. Why have they not flagged this weight gain before it has become such an issue?
Pep kicked out Nasri for being over-weight. If he saw Lukaku, he'd pull his hair out!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
At our club we have people employed to monitor the fitness (and metrics, including weight) of our players. Why have they not flagged this weight gain before it has become such an issue?
Pep kicked out Nasri for being over-weight. If he saw Lukaku, he'd pull his hair out!
Facial hair, surely?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's not cause of him we started defending. Don't blame him for that.
I'd sell him when the new man arrives though.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Does not deserve to start at the moment and we look better off without him in that central role. I don't want to write the guy off yet, but wonder if it is worth trying him on the right? He seems to be better (this season) when out there and I wonder if the change will kick start some movement in him
There was one other players in our team, for whom this was said.
Play as a 9....err, okay play him as a 10.....err, okay play him as a midfielder.
Sorry buddy, but Lukaku is a striker and that is the position that he must train for. If he is not able to score goals, then he should be benched and eventually sold (if he doesn't improve). I know it's harsh, but this is elite level football. There simply isn't room for passengers - no matter how light or heavy they are. :D

LJJT

Hopefully being dropped for this game gives him a bit of motivation for the first since he signed for us. Thought we where much more dynamic without him, but don’t think Rashford played particularly well

Adisa

Hopefully being dropped for this game gives him a bit of motivation for the first since he signed for us. Thought we where much more dynamic without him, but don’t think Rashford played particularly well
His problem isn't motivation. Lukaku will never be a striker that runs around. His game is to amble around and beat the last defender in a one on one,for pace or power. He will never be a striker for a team that looks to press from the front.

Last edited:

James Peril

Very well written, completely agree. And a goal every now and again won’t fool me into thinking otherwise. When Lukaku plays, the central defenders have complete control the entire game.. they don’t break chain and let the full-backs do their job on the flanks. With modern, rapid players like Rashford, you do the oppsite and defenders have to swap positions all the time.. inviting other player to exploit room. Lukaku can and will score goals because we are better than most teams, but you see how it goes when we play the best teams... he literally never, ever scores against them because the defenders always are in control.

Adisa

For a big guy, he's not really good with the long ball cause his hold up play is shocking.
He can't press cause of his size. His movement is poor.
He's not a bad player but I think it's a scandal he cost £75m.
You don't spend that kind of money. A player with his flaws. You just don't.

haram

Where was this narrative that we play better with Rashford up front for the games where we looked worse without Lukaku? I cant believe some of the things being said off the back of this game. Rashford is not better than Lukaku as the striker.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
On a more lighthearted note (I laughed quite hard while writing this), so not to be taken too seriously:

I assure you, he has increased in size significantly.
They do say that the camera adds 10 pounds - perhaps there were many cameras on him at the time?
I'm not quite sure what is going on here, but if a bodybuilder took large quantities of drugs, this is the kind of size increase I'd expect (over a 6 month period).
I guess he has genetics for holding onto a lot of mass and he can't stop the weight gain.

The first 2 photos demonstrate my point.

He doesn't look fat, he looks bulked, he looks beefy and huge.
Look at his shoulders, that's shows you the significant muscle gains which highlights that it's not fat gain, purely muscle.
Not that I'm defending him or his performances, if he was using this bulk to good effect then good but he's not.
I'm just merely saying that he's not fat, just bulked to the max.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Please sell him back to Everton and find a center forward who can add more to the attacking play. The fluidity in attack without him is no coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.