Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Lukaku's current role is to get the most out of Martial/Sanchez. It's meant that his numbers have suffered in the same way that numbers of Drogba/Benzema/Milito did during certain seasons.

Lukaku's being asked to occupy the space between left centreback and leftback to make space for our left winger to get into the box. His positioning for Martial's goals againts Chelsea illustrates that perfectly.

I appreciate that his goalscoring has dipped a bit, but he's stilll contributing to the team.

His finishing is probably a little bit more wayward than it was when he first joined, but I think people are focusing too much on that. He basically takes two opposition players out of the game .
I think that's nonsense. There may be a marginal repositioning going on. Maybe. But to suggest that as a reason for his horrendous dip in goalscoring is being far too kind to him. He's still in goalscoring positions as much as he was last season. I can't see that he's doing anymore to create space for those around him than he was last season, look at his performance against Chelsea at home last year, or example. It's just a catastrophic lackl of confidence.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think we should be looking to bring in another top striker and relegate Lukaku to challenging him. It would be a mistake to bring in someone to push Lukaku from the bench.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

last year
Lukaku 1440 minutes played
Rooney 1075 minutes played
And none were against top 6 :lol:

Cloud7

Never have I seen Lukaku’s role being described as “used to get the best out of others” before. His entire style of play is the complete opposite of what gets the best out of the players around him.

Irwin99

I’ve mentioned the same thing since he joined, but I put it down to a lack of ability. Firstly, there is his poor movement which makes it difficult for him to find space to receive the ball in shooting situations with consistency. But more importantly is his lack of footballing ability, which means that other top forwards, he cannot engineer enough shooting opportunities when he does have the ball. You have to earn a shot on goal at this level. Lukaku cannot either work angles for himself to get shots away, not take a good enough first touch to get a quick shooting opportunity. If you watch players like Liverpool’s front 3, Kane or Aguero - they get so many more shots off from pretty much anywhere within 20 yards, whenever they get the ball. They are constantly, twisting then unleashing, spinning then unleashing, hitting them with heir first touch, or creating a yard with their first touch and shooting with their second. All that part needs to be done in advance for Lukaku so ideally he’d have only the goalkeeper between him and the goal whenever he receives it.
I must admit I didn't see him that much at Everton but he scored a lot of goals for them and I got the impression we were getting a striker who was selfish (in the way that most strikers are) and was always looking to grab a goal. Would be interesting to see the stats of the amount of shots he averaged with Everton and compare that with United.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Never have I seen Lukaku’s role being described as “used to get the best out of others” before. His entire style of play is the complete opposite of what gets the best out of the players around him.
Precisely. If anything, everyone else is being made to play to cater to him rather than the other way around.

Djemba-Djemba

I don't think I've ever seen a Manchester United player getting that much stick like Lukaku has these past two weeks.
When you're the £75m main striker for Manchester United and you're playing as badly as Lukaku has been you're going to get stick.

I think the fact that many Utd fans never thought he would be good enough anyway is definitely adding to the criticism though.

meninred

We dont have good passers of the ball like Hazard or Debryne. That makes it worse for Lukaku.

Canagel

We dont have good passers of the ball like Hazard or Debryne. That makes it worse for Lukaku.
We have Pogba. And it still doesn't make a difference. If you want to point to anything you could say our delivery from wide areas isn't good enough but his movement is rubbish anyway.

redIndianDevil

His poor technique was always going to bite him on his ass at a top club, he got away with it in midtable clubs because the opposition aren't going to be parking the bus against him, he was afforded space and time, but here he is facing a bus every week, his touch fails him miserably since the margin of error has decreased.

Plus every time he talks I get the feeling that he thinks himself a much better player than he actually is and that is holding him back(what with Mourinho constantly massaging his ego), we all saw the pre-season rondo our players were doing and how appalling everyone was. He needs the same treatment that Martial, Rashford, Mkhitaryan, Mata et al received.

marko goalo

I've said the same thing on this forum. You don't need to be a great observer to see this. He was always patchy and would go through these droughts. Fine for other clubs maybe, but not us. We didn't need another inconsistent player, especially at such a huge cost. He was worth at most £30M.
That Jose and our scouts didn't know this about him, along with his non-existent technique, is just unbelievable.
Bang on. I don't understand how anyone other than football manager players can defend this guy. Supported Utd for 41 years and we've had some poor players in that time but nobody has been more incompetent than this guy. Sadly the only way we see the back of him is when Jose disappears to pastures new because no manager worth his salt would start with Lukaku unless of course we've been relegated to the championship, then it might be useful to have him around.

James Peril

This is just entirely false. We have Paul Pogba always waiting to put a ball over the line or through if he sees a good run. He basically lofted perfect passes to Zlatan every game when the latter was still here. We also have Mata playing a lot recently, also a very good passer if he sees some effort in front of him. We could have Iniesta and Xavi in the middle and they still wouldn’t manage to find that useless bulldozer hiding behind defenders.

marko goalo

Lukaku's current role is to get the most out of Martial/Sanchez. It's meant that his numbers have suffered in the same way that numbers of Drogba/Benzema/Milito did during certain seasons.

Lukaku's being asked to occupy the space between left centreback and leftback to make space for our left winger to get into the box. His positioning for Martial's goals againts Chelsea illustrates that perfectly.

I appreciate that his goalscoring has dipped a bit, but he's stilll contributing to the team.

His finishing is probably a little bit more wayward than it was when he first joined, but I think people are focusing too much on that. He basically takes two opposition players out of the game .
What exactly is he contributing to the team?? To the naked eye everything seems to breakdown once it gets anywhere near him

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

You cannot help but laugh to posts like this. Comparing him to Drogba or Benzema is ridiculous. Their all around play is out of this world comparing to Lukaku's. Actually, Lukaku's all around play doesn't even exist to begin with.

Fecking Benzema and Drogba :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Even so, he could only scored against the lesser team with Belgium most of the time, but fail to step up in big game. Scoring against Tunisia & Panama but didn't perform against Japan & France, and didn't score against Brazil. The way how he plays is too similar to Heskey, not sure what makes Mourinho from not rate him at Chelsea and prefer the very old Eto'o to highly rate him now. In term of playing style & weakness, I don't see anything changes since his time at West Brom to now.

Charles Miller

Even so, he could only scored against the lesser team with Belgium most of the time, but fail to step up in big game. Scoring against Tunisia & Panama but didn't perform against Japan & France, and didn't score against Brazil. The way how he plays is too similar to Heskey, not sure what makes Mourinho from not rate him at Chelsea and prefer the very old Eto'o to highly rate him now. In term of playing style & weakness, I don't see anything changes since his time at West Brom to now.
He was one of their best players against Brazil, especially in the first half. He played really well in the wing and i would say that his position in that game was the main reason the Brazilian team looked confused in the first half.

iKeano

I don't know if it's the Jay-Z influence, but he hasn't been half the player since he started spending time with Jay-Z and signed up to Roc Nation sports. I'd give Alexis a run upfront.
Half the player? He's at least twice the player.
A big fat man.

Be interesting to see if the rumours are true and José drops him today - highlighting further that José is clueless.

In terms of performances lately, the big unit's heatmap has been more like a slugs trail... Of burger juice and sweat.

Litch

Vultures are certainly circling.....and sadly he's the type of player that just looks awful when out of sorts. I don't entirely blame him though. His game time has been completely mismanaged and has played too many games since the WC. Also not sure why you buy a player that strengths are about crosses into the box and then play with no wingers or fullbacks that push on (or allowed to). Everything attacking makes absolutely no sense to me and whilst he's having a shocker, he's not alone.

Stacks

A big fat man.

Be interesting to see if the rumours are true and José drops him today - highlighting further that José is clueless.

In terms of performances lately, the big unit's heatmap has been more like a slugs trail... Of burger juice and sweat.
This is fat shaming which can be classified as hate speech

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

I've watched this over and over, I don't understand why he tries to control it with his shin rather than lifting his foot up, he has plenty of time to think about it.. It's the type of movement and touch you expect from someone who's never played football before it's bizarre.
This is going to be his Fellaini vs Bayern moment isn't it :lol:

TrueRed79

What's clear is when he has time to think, he doesn't.
Oh.My.God
He really is terrible and not good enough to lead the line for us. Granted, it's clear he is going through a rough patch and is better than what he has shown this season but i have zero faith in him getting us 25+ PL goals in a season, so therefore we should get rid if we can recoup £50M + for him.

Man Utd 2:1 Everton

el3mel

Fecking hate him already. Him coming changed the game for them.

Don't want to see him playing again except for the odd last 10 minutes. Don't care about what we spent for him. Money wasted anyway.

haram

His link up and touch was fine. I don't get people blaming him for anything apart from the miss.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A big fat man.

It will never not be funny seeing armchair dieticians commenting on players like this.

3KDré

He makes us worse. The team see a big man and start pumping it up towards him. That's not entirely his fault but his poor movement is.

LoneStar

What a joke. That Pogba cross was about as easy a chance as you can get to get out of rotten form. Did nothing again, except a few 1-2s.

He should spend some more time on the bench.

BigBebe

He really seemed to drag our performance down.

I understand that maybe Jose is trying to play him to give him confidence but he really destroys our play.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Rashford wasn't particulary good but even still, Lukaku should keep starting on the bench until he shows some glimpses of form again.

Minimalist

Stinking form. His only reprieve is that Rashford/Sanchez aren't good either for us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hopefully he stays on the bench next week too. Showed nothing but more of why he got dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.