Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why is it always scapegoating when it comes to Lukaku? What is it about him that elicits sympathy? Never seen any other 100m+ player get babied like this.
Was the same rubbish with Torres.

It's almost as if in some quarters the more a player costs the more excuses they get.

Cloud7

Was the same rubbish with Torres.

It's almost as if in some quarters the more a player costs the more excuses they get.
Coutinho, Dembele, Neymar, Graelish, Sancho, Maguire get attacked on all quarters. None of them get as many excuses made for them as Lukaku.

romufc

They will after they sell Kane.
How does that make sense? Kane has less years on his contract than Lukaku, and is older.

Chelsea won't sell for less than what they bought him for, Kane value is probably halved since last summer and Lukaku has a higher wage than Kane.

Pintu

Making up goal records? Did he not eclipse R9's goal record at Inter with 13 games to spare before adding four more? Lukaku scored 64 in 95 for Inter, Ronaldo scored 59 in 99. Ronaldo also scored 15 penalties for Inter.
No he didn't. Ronaldo's record was scoring 25 goals for Inter in the Serie A. When it was by a good margin the strongest league in the world. And at the same time one of the lowest scoring top leagues.

Lukaku (including Penalties of course) scored 24 in Serie A when it is at best the 3d/4th league. And at the same time the 2nd highest scoring league. Football has changed.

Icardi scored 29 league goals for Inter before they had Barella, Eriksen, Hakimi. When they were happy to grabb a 4th spot finish. Lukaku's numbers are pale in comparison, given how much the team at his disposal had improved.

Lukaku was also the first Inter player in 71 years to score in four successive Milan derbies. Challenge those stats please. Facts are he made a wise career decision leaving united. He won a league title and broke records while united remained in the doldrums under Solskjaer. Deal with it
It doesn't happen often that Inter are consistently superior for 2 seasons in a row and with the same forward. Icardi scored 5 goals in his last 4 derbys, helping his team to even better results wiht 3 wins and one draw.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Making up goal records? Did he not eclipse R9's goal record at Inter with 13 games to spare before adding four more? Lukaku scored 64 in 95 for Inter, Ronaldo scored 59 in 99. Ronaldo also scored 15 penalties for Inter. Lukaku was also the first Inter player in 71 years to score in four successive Milan derbies. Challenge those stats please. Facts are he made a wise career decision leaving united. He won a league title and broke records while united remained in the doldrums under Solskjaer. Deal with it

https://www.givemesport.com/1670632-romelu-lukaku-surpasses-ronaldo-nazarios-inter-milan-record

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/luk...ie-a-leaders-inter/1b4kcdybm0n771qt2rmwhpzj34
This post led me to imagine Lukaku trying to play against 90s Serie A defences. Thanks for the laugh :lol:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He'll score against Pool and score some headers and his fans will be back in here again.

United in sin

No he didn't. Ronaldo's record was scoring 25 goals for Inter in the Serie A. When it was by a good margin the strongest league in the world. And at the same time one of the lowest scoring top leagues.

Lukaku (including Penalties of course) scored 24 in Serie A when it is at best the 3d/4th league. And at the same time the 2nd highest scoring league. Football has changed.

Icardi scored 29 league goals for Inter before they had Barella, Eriksen, Hakimi. When they were happy to grabb a 4th spot finish. Lukaku's numbers are pale in comparison, given how much the team at his disposal had improved.

It doesn't happen often that Inter are consistently superior for 2 seasons in a row and with the same forward. Icardi scored 5 goals in his last 4 derbys, helping his team to even better results wiht 3 wins and one draw.
Did he or did he not surpass Ronaldo's 59 goals for Inter?

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah. I dont like Lukaku as a player but this is too much, like a smear campaign. SkySports is basically doing this for views. Why are they so butthurt about Lukaku, they are neither Inter nor United.
I’m trying to see how “doing this for views” is a negative for SkySports that, well, literally does everything for views, it’s their business model?

Oranges038

Making up goal records? Did he not eclipse R9's goal record at Inter with 13 games to spare before adding four more? Lukaku scored 64 in 95 for Inter, Ronaldo scored 59 in 99. Ronaldo also scored 15 penalties for Inter. Lukaku was also the first Inter player in 71 years to score in four successive Milan derbies. Challenge those stats please. Facts are he made a wise career decision leaving united. He won a league title and broke records while united remained in the doldrums under Solskjaer. Deal with it

https://www.givemesport.com/1670632-romelu-lukaku-surpasses-ronaldo-nazarios-inter-milan-record

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/luk...ie-a-leaders-inter/1b4kcdybm0n771qt2rmwhpzj34
You posted.

Lukaku went on to break Inter's single season goals record
I would call that making up records, because he didn't even score more goals than Ronaldo in a single season, and he isn't even the record holder.

United in sin

You posted.

I would call that making up records, because he didn't even score more goals than Ronaldo in a single season, and he isn't even the record holder.
You're correct on that, but he did break Ronaldo's goal record for Inter in less time. I didn't mention him being the record scorer at Inter

You're correct on that, but he did break Ronaldo's goal record for Inter in less time. I didn't mention him being the record scorer at Inter
Prior to his injury Ronaldo was 42 in 58 for Inter. So no, Lukaku was nowhere near R9 at Inter. Unless you want to compare Lukaku to the overweight, unfit, injury prone version of Ronaldo.

United in sin

Prior to his injury Ronaldo was 42 in 58 for Inter. So no, Lukaku was nowhere near R9 at Inter. Unless you want to compare Lukaku to the overweight, unfit, injury prone version of Ronaldo.
He beat his record. I'm not saying Lukaku is the better player

Oranges038

Neither did I. But you stating he broke Inter's single season goal record is totally wrong. He scored a few more goals than Ronaldo that is all, he didn't break any records at all.

Ronaldo played in an 18 team league, the toughest league to score in Europe at that time. His best season he scored 25 out of Inter's 62 League goals. He scored 48 goals in 68 league games in total.

Lukaku played in a 20 team league, in what is a much poorer league. His best season he scored 24 out of 89 league goals for Inter. Scoring 47 in 72 games overall.

Overall his extra few goals mostly came against piss poor teams in the Europa League.

United in sin

Neither did I. But you stating he broke Inter's single season goal record is totally wrong. He scored a few more goals than Ronaldo that is all, he didn't break any records at all.

Ronaldo played in an 18 team league, the toughest league to score in Europe at that time. His best season he scored 25 out of Inter's 62 League goals. He scored 48 goals in 68 league games in total.

Lukaku played in a 20 team league, in what is a much poorer league. His best season he scored 24 out of 89 league goals for Inter. Scoring 47 in 72 games overall.

Overall his extra few goals mostly came against piss poor teams in the Europa League.
I'm convinced you'll find any excuse or give a list of reasons to discredit anything Lukaku accomplishes so there's no point. Our Ronaldo has stated that serie A is the toughest league he's played in. That may change now that he's experienced the PL at 37 when his powers have waned. There's no point in this debate. As I told the poster above you in my last post, you can have it

Grande

You clearly do, making up goal records he never even got close to.

Fact is, it was a great move by Ole to get rid of him, he only went to Inter because they were the only ones stupid enough to pay the money Utd wanted. It worked out for them he scored a few goals and they got to sell him to Chelsea for a nice profit.
I think it was the right move by Ole to get rid of him. I also think it was the right move by Inter to aquire him.

Of course, Inter may have been stupid, thinking he would score a few goals for them, and that they could sell him on with a profit. Luckily you knew better. ;)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
How does that make sense? Kane has less years on his contract than Lukaku, and is older.

Chelsea won't sell for less than what they bought him for, Kane value is probably halved since last summer and Lukaku has a higher wage than Kane.
Kane is a few months younger than Lukaku and has comparatively lesser mileage as well.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Funny how last summer Lukaku fans were all on about how his all-round game has developed and his work in the build up play is now top-drawer, as if he was Baggio, Shearer and Ronaldo rolled into one. Suddenly, now it‘s all “Chelsea aren’t playing on the counter and giving him space to run into”. The latter part is true, but just proves why Lukaku should really be playing for Everton. He’s a borderline donkey when you put him in a top side.

Pintu

Our Ronaldo has stated that serie A is the toughest league he's played in. That may change now that he's experienced the PL at 37 when his powers have waned. There's no point in this debate. As I told the poster above you in my last post, you can have it
Ronaldo said that in his first season when Allegri was having his team play for 1-0. He certainly can’t think that it’s as difficult in his last 2 seasons with Sarri and Pirlo playing offensive/chaos football. The chaos football is much more representative of the league nowadays.

And this certainly doesn’t represent Inter’s games. They score 80/90 every season.

Scoring 30 goals for an Allegri team is tough, scoring 25+ for most of other Serie A teams is normal for decent strikers. Again, Icardi scored 29.

Grande

Lukaku went on to break Inter's single season goals record and surpassed Ronaldo9's total goal haul for Inter while winning serie A. He got the move right for himself
While one fact is wrong and the other is not too relevant, I agree Lukaku got the right move for himself then. I also think Ole did right to move him on. It looks like this time, he hasn’t got the move right for himself. It’s hit and miss sometimes.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Average in what group?
Id say in a top 6 prem side. I stand by hes the worst starting striker I’ve ever seen at Utd, the guy couldn’t control a ball and that’s a basic fundamental of the game. I’m 100% sure I’ve played with guys with better technical ability than Rom. That doesn’t stop him having his uses and impact but he’s just so lacking in the fundamentals he is nowhere near a top level player. Combine that with his horrific attitude, his **** like followers who apparently can’t see past “stats” and it’s easy to see why he’s disliked and people take pleasure in his failings!

Pintu

Funny how last summer Lukaku fans were all on about how his all-round game has developed and his work in the build up play is now top-drawer, as if he was Baggio, Shearer and Ronaldo rolled into one. Suddenly, now it‘s all “Chelsea aren’t playing on the counter and giving him space to run into”. The latter part is true, but just proves why Lukaku should really be playing for Everton. He’s a borderline donkey when you put him in a top side.
Exactly. Or maybe Leicester. He would love the Conference league.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I'm convinced you'll find any excuse or give a list of reasons to discredit anything Lukaku accomplishes.
Why are you so keen to mention him with Ronaldo? It’s absolutely ridiculous. Ciro Immobile is doing well in present-day Italy and would be a more credible comparison (given that he’s a bit sh*t, too).

Grande

Id say in a top 6 prem side. I stand by hes the worst starting striker I’ve ever seen at Utd, the guy couldn’t control a ball and that’s a basic fundamental of the game. I’m 100% sure I’ve played with guys with better technical ability than Rom. That doesn’t stop him having his uses and impact but he’s just so lacking in the fundamentals he is nowhere near a top level player. Combine that with his horrific attitude, his **** like followers who apparently can’t see past “stats” and it’s easy to see why he’s disliked and people take pleasure in his failings!
Average starting striker in a top 6 side sounds about right to me, I think he’s better than all the second and third strikers in the current top six. Tbh, Top six in PL, it’s not exactly what I associate with ‘average’.

I think he was a somewhat better striker for United than Chicharito, Depay, Martial, Rashford, Cavani and Ronaldo (latest stint). Touch or no touch. Still I prefer most of them to him at United, but that’s more to do with taste.

United in sin

Ronaldo said that in his first season when Allegri was having his team play for 1-0. He certainly can’t think that it’s as difficult in his last 2 seasons with Sarri and Pirlo playing offensive/chaos football. The chaos football is much more representative of the league nowadays.

And this certainly doesn’t represent Inter’s games. They score 80/90 every season.

Scoring 30 goals for an Allegri team is tough, scoring 25+ for most of other Serie A teams is normal for decent strikers. Again, Icardi scored 29.
His comments directly addressed the overall quality of the league, not the system he was forced to play under Allegri in singularity. It's possible he saw things differently after playing under different managers, and as you say, the league swiftly transformed after 2019 to a more chaotic offensive setup. We'll never know unless Ronaldo's asked again will we? Here are some of his comments then:

"I've adapted to the Italian league and it's a difficult league - the most difficult one for all forwards.

"It's the most difficult league for me, it's full of quality players."

"I didn't expect this much quality in the Italian league, they're very good," he said.

"Things are going well, in my opinion. It's harder to score in the Italian league than in the Spanish league. The Spanish league is more open, the teams risk more. Here, not so much.

"Here, the team's priority is to defend first, and then to attack. That's not true for Spain. Spanish games are more open. The English league, where I played for five years [with Manchester United], is the same.

"It's harder to score in the Italian league, in my opinion."

https://www.fotmob.com/news/17cta58...serie-a-tougher-than-laliga-or-premier-league

Why are you so keen to mention him with Ronaldo? It’s absolutely ridiculous. Ciro Immobile is doing well in present-day Italy and would be a more credible comparison (given that he’s a bit sh*t, too).
Because Ronaldo played for Inter. I'm not comparing them, I'm stating the fact he beat his Inter record.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Average starting striker in a top 6 side sounds about right to me, I think he’s better than all the second and third strikers in the current top six. Tbh, Top six in PL, it’s not exactly what I associate with ‘average’.

I think he was a somewhat better striker for United than Chicharito, Depay, Martial, Rashford, Cavani and Ronaldo (latest stint). Touch or no touch. Still I prefer most of them to him at United, but that’s more to do with taste.
Martial and Rashford have shown a level up top that Lukaku couldn’t even dream of. The issue is neither have been able to keep it up for more than a season but it’s night and day watching them compared to Lukaku.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Coutinho, Dembele, Neymar, Graelish, Sancho, Maguire get attacked on all quarters. None of them get as many excuses made for them as Lukaku.
I agree with all bar Maguire, this below was just as ridiculous as any defence of Lukaku.

Oranges038

I'm convinced you'll find any excuse or give a list of reasons to discredit anything Lukaku accomplishes so there's no point. Our Ronaldo has stated that serie A is the toughest league he's played in. That may change now that he's experienced the PL at 37 when his powers have waned. There's no point in this debate. As I told the poster above you in my last post, you can have it
All I said was Ole got it right by getting rid of him.

You took issue with that and brought Ronaldo abd records into it, I gave you a comparison. You stated he broke records. He did not, which I have shown to you. He didn't score more league goals than Ronaldo even though he played in a weaker league with more teams and he played more league games He bagged his extra goals in the EL after Inter were knocked out of the CL, in a group stage where Lukaku himself did fcuk all.

In the last few years a 30 year old Dzeko was top scorer with Roma, a 37 year Luca Toni was joint top scorer with Verona. A 35 year old Quagliarella was top scorer with Sampdoria. A 36 year old Ronaldo was top scorer with Juventus. Lukaku was nowhere near it.

He went to Italy, scored a few goals, Chelsea spunked 100m on him and once again we are seeing the real Lukaku. Maybe it would be another good move for him if he went back to Italy.

I think it was the right move by Ole to get rid of him. I also think it was the right move by Inter to aquire him.

Of course, Inter may have been stupid, thinking he would score a few goals for them, and that they could sell him on with a profit. Luckily you knew better. ;)
I knew better before Utd signed him from Everton. They should have consulted me then. We'd never have had to witness him in a Utd shirt.

His comments directly addressed the overall quality of the league, not the system he was forced to play under Allegri in singularity. It's possible he saw things differently after playing under different managers, and as you say, the league swiftly transformed after 2019 to a more chaotic offensive setup. We'll never know unless Ronaldo's asked again will we? Here are some of his comments then:

"I've adapted to the Italian league and it's a difficult league - the most difficult one for all forwards.

"It's the most difficult league for me, it's full of quality players."

"I didn't expect this much quality in the Italian league, they're very good," he said.

"Things are going well, in my opinion. It's harder to score in the Italian league than in the Spanish league. The Spanish league is more open, the teams risk more. Here, not so much.

"Here, the team's priority is to defend first, and then to attack. That's not true for Spain. Spanish games are more open. The English league, where I played for five years [with Manchester United], is the same.

"It's harder to score in the Italian league, in my opinion."

https://www.fotmob.com/news/17cta58...serie-a-tougher-than-laliga-or-premier-league

Because Ronaldo played for Inter. I'm not comparing them, I'm stating the fact he beat his Inter record.
It's PR 101. Talk up your new league when you get there, even if you're playing in the Timbuktu second division. Means nothing.

mctrials23

It's PR 101. Talk up your new league when you get there, even if you're playing in the Timbuktu second division. Means nothing.
Unless its Lukaku, in which case he will get off the plane, tell you that hes not happy, being played in the wrong system and that he wishes he was back at his last club :lol: