g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Pintu

I suspect there is still money outstanding for him. I expect that they'll get him on loan and some of the monies owed on the transfer fee will be forgiven. How much that will be is anyones guess.
Nothing to do with Inter. They sold that debt to a bank last summer because they needed the cash. Chelsea is paying the remaining fees to that bank.

Inter is still in a complicated financial situation (around 100M losses). They can't afford to spend 50M+ on buying a 30-year-old player who will be taking such big wages.

Pintu

So you think Chelsea will make a £97m mistake and then compound that mistake by practically giving him away for free 12 months later?
Barcelona bought Coutinho for 135M... 15 months later he was on loan for 6% of that. When you've made a mistake, it is smarter to acknowledge you did and try to move on.

A year-long loan in Italy can benefit Chelsea if it revives Lukaku's career and increases his credentials again. Wealthier clubs than Inter could be on the market for him next summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Barcelona bought Coutinho for 135M... 15 months later he was on loan for 6% of that. When you've made a mistake, it is smarter to acknowledge you did and try to move on.

A year-long loan in Italy can benefit Chelsea if it revives Lukaku's career and increases his credentials again. Wealthier clubs than Inter could be on the market for him next summer.
That was a terrible deal by Barca. They sent him on loan to a CL rival who helped knock Barca out. Bayern then declined to actually sign him on a permanent deal. We should learn from that and do something different instead of repeating Barca's embarrassing decisions.

Pintu

That was a terrible deal by Barca. They sent him on loan to a CL rival who helped knock Barca out.
The terrible deal was spending 135M on a player not suited for their game (he is not suited for anything outside PL actually) Loaning him out to Bayern meant Barça could spare some money. And if he had done a good job Bayern or someone else would have bought him.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
So you think Chelsea will make a £97m mistake and then compound that mistake by practically giving him away for free 12 months later?
It all depends on the alternatives, right?

I think we can all agree that Chelsea would prefer to sell Lukaku for a decent fee, even taking a huge loss if necessary, if they can. But what if there are no buyers? Very few clubs have any money right now and even fewer both have money and a wage structure he could fit into.

Let’s say the only choices are (1) sell for a tiny fee like 15-20m (2) straight loan to Inter or (3) keep him in the squad. At that point straight loan becomes a possibility IMO. Tuchel seems to want him out.

::sonny::

Situation today:

> Chelsea wants 100 million

> Inter offer 0 million

> Lukaku reached an agreement with Inter accepting a wage cut >50%

> Lukaku said he will make the deal with Chelsea, no direct contacts between Chelsea and Inter

> It’s all on Lukaku, he will deal with Chelsea with a transfer request asking to be loaned out for free, I think he will refuse to play and train with Chelsea again

Really absurd situation

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
So we'll find an acceptable figure between 0 and £100m and go from there, possibly a loan with a fee, or he'll be made to rot in the reserves. Got a contract till 2026, no wonder changed agent!

Chances of him playing for us again look pretty slim if that is true.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'd rather go with Kai and build around the sides like Liverpool did with Firmino. Maybe get an Giroud type to mix things up a bit when nessesesery.

Just looking at the top line and assuming it would fall into place is what got us stuck with Lukaku in the first place.
That's your original mistake, letting him leave.:nono:

crossy1686

career ending
Situation today:

> Chelsea wants 100 million

> Inter offer 0 million

> Lukaku reached an agreement with Inter accepting a wage cut >50%

> Lukaku said he will make the deal with Chelsea, no direct contacts between Chelsea and Inter

> It’s all on Lukaku, he will deal with Chelsea with a transfer request asking to be loaned out for free, I think he will refuse to play and train with Chelsea again

Really absurd situation

Chelsea won't have paid the whole transfer fee yet so Inter can surely just give them back what they've paid with a sweetener on top?

::sonny::

Chelsea won't have paid the whole transfer fee yet so Inter can surely just give them back what they've paid with a sweetener on top?
Inter really have no money or chances to reset the former deal

They are looking for to sell 1 of their “big” players (bastioni or lautaro)

Bastioni I think the most likely and then signing Bremer from Torino + Dybala and Lukaku both for free

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It all depends on the alternatives, right?

I think we can all agree that Chelsea would prefer to sell Lukaku for a decent fee, even taking a huge loss if necessary, if they can. But what if there are no buyers? Very few clubs have any money right now and even fewer both have money and a wage structure he could fit into.

Let’s say the only choices are (1) sell for a tiny fee like 15-20m (2) straight loan to Inter or (3) keep him in the squad. At that point straight loan becomes a possibility IMO. Tuchel seems to want him out.
Chelsea would (and should) 100% rather keep him and try to make it work than give him away for free or peanuts. The only unknown here is Lukaku. If he creates a problem within the club, then yeah Chelsea would have to deal with that and it puts the club in a tough position but as long as he's willing to be a pro and show up for training, be a harmonious member of the squad etc keeping him will always be the preferred option than giving him to Inter for free.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is great that he publicly lowered his wage by half. There could be teams that will pay to acquire him at that wage.

redcucumber

It is great that he publicly lowered his wage by half. There could be teams that will pay to acquire him at that wage.
Are there teams that will want to pay a significant fee for him? What sort of fee are Chelsea even expecting?

Pintu

No. He hasn’t done it publicly and he is only lowering them to go back to Inter. Not West Ham or Newcastle.

Counterfactual

Chelsea would (and should) 100% rather keep him and try to make it work than give him away for free or peanuts. The only unknown here is Lukaku. If he creates a problem within the club, then yeah Chelsea would have to deal with that and it puts the club in a tough position but as long as he's willing to be a pro and show up for training, be a harmonious member of the squad etc keeping him will always be the preferred option than giving him to Inter for free.
Is this the same Lukaku we're talking about?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
No. He hasn’t done it publicly and he is only lowering them to go back to Inter. Not West Ham or Newcastle.
Depends on if he wants to be the point of emphasis on a team or ride the bench. I think this whole game he is playing with Inter is just building his resolve to leave for just about anywhere that will stroke his fragile ego.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Is this the same Lukaku we're talking about?
I mean I have seen nothing to suggest he's going to be a cancer in the dressing room. But in the event he does become one, I'm a super petty guy, I'd let him rot in the reserves for 4 years

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku and Inter are trying to make fools of us.
The only reasonable way out for all parties is a deal with a player swap.
Barella, Bastoni, or Skriniar for Lukaku.

Inter says they have no money, a free loan after we gave them 100 million is unacceptable, Chelsea already assumes failure and has a strong card in their hands.

Lukaku wants to play in the World Cup.
And staying all season on the bench or playing with the reserves will not be pleasant.

We have to be tough enough with these characters and don't hire anyone else with this kind of profile.

cyberman

Inter says they have no money, a free loan after we gave them 100 million is unacceptable, Chelsea already assumes failure and has a strong card in their hands.

And staying all season on the bench or playing with the reserves will not be pleasant.

We have to be tough enough with these characters and don't hire anyone else with this kind of profile.
You didn’t give them 100m. You bought an asset you thought was worth 100m

Oranges038

Back to Inter on a 4 year loan deal with an optional purchase of 10m after 4 years, no upfront fee, Chelsea to pay all his wages and supply all the bedding and oats.

crossy1686

career ending

You didn't give them £100m, you gave them a lump sum last year and will continue to give them further lump sums over the next 4 years until the £100m is paid off. However, if I were making the decisions at Chelsea, I'd send him back to Inter for half what you gave them last season and get his wages off the books, as well as making it public how much of a twat he is behind the scenes.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I‘m actually not that worried about this situation. As mentioned above, he has a World Cup coming up and will want to be in the best shape and form he can be in so he can start for Belgium who will have strong ambitions to win the whole thing. He’s surely not going to let himself get fat and in woeful form in the lead up to that if he’s “forced” to stay at Chelsea.

Even Lukaku in shit form was our highest scorer in all comps last season. So if we have to keep him next season and he scores a decent amount off the bench and the odd start here and there that’s not bad.

Really the biggest pain may be how us not moving him could damage our incoming business.

crossy1686

career ending
I‘m actually not that worried about this situation. As mentioned above, he has a World Cup coming up and will want to be in the best shape and form he can be in so he can start for Belgium who will have strong ambitions to win the whole thing. He’s surely not going to let himself get fat and in woeful form in the lead up to that if he’s “forced” to stay at Chelsea.

Even Lukaku in shit form was our highest scorer in all comps last season. So if we have to keep him next season and he scores a decent amount off the bench and the odd start here and there that’s not bad.

Really the biggest pain may be how us not moving him could damage our incoming business.
Have you considered looking at what he did during the last world cup when he was at United? You're going to be pretty disappointed with the result

Pintu

You didn't give them £100m, you gave them a lump sum last year and will continue to give them further lump sums over the next 4 years until the £100m is paid off.
Inter got 22 M last year from Chelsea, and they are getting the rest from a factoring company. They had to do that, otherwise they could have failed to pay wages on time this season. To imagine Inter investing 60M on a 30-year old forward in this economy is just science fiction.

Chelsea now owes the rest of the money to that factoring company.

crossy1686

career ending
Inter got 22 M last year from Chelsea, and they are getting the rest from a factoring company. They had to do that, otherwise they could have failed to pay wages on time this season. To imagine Inter investing 60M on a 30-year old forward in this economy is just science fiction.

Chelsea now owes the rest of the money to that factoring company.
I somehow think those payments won't go through and he'll return to Inter for next to nothing, or they'll do some creative accounting like when Barcelona and Juventus swapped Arthur for Pjanic

Pintu

Shouldn’t this part worry you more than anything else? You desperately needed Haaland, but you’re stuck with Werner and Lukaku.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Shouldn’t this part worry you more than anything else? You desperately needed Haaland, but you’re stuck with Werner and Lukaku.
Needs context. He statpadded with goals vs Chesterfield, Middlesbrough, Luton, Al Hilal and Palmeiras

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
It does, but what I’m trying to say is that Lukaku isn’t a complete and total waste of a squad place even in poor form. He will always get you goals against shite teams which can be a valuable asset. It’s not one of those situations where a striker will go 20 matches without scoring a goal and is actively hurting the team.

But yes, we absolutely need a total refresh of our attack.

Pintu

I somehow think those payments won't go through and he'll return to Inter for next to nothing, or they'll do some creative accounting like when Barcelona and Juventus swapped Arthur for Pjanic
That's only possible when you agree on a relative value. Barça and Juve agreed on the formula (Arthur = Pjanic + €16M). Only then could they add whatever they want to the price of both players. And it seemed fair at the time, as both wanted to part ways with these players (Juventus wanted rid of Pjanic's high wage and Barça had to sell Arthur who was refusing to extend).

In today's market, I can't see Inter and Chelsea agreeing on a similar operation. There is no player that meets both criteria. The only Inter players that Chelsea could be interested in are players essential to Inter, hence only sellable at very high prices... Chelsea doesn't want to exchange Lukaku for Alexis.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
What an odd personality this guy has. Very much glad he's no longer our problem.
He’s a complete headcase and so is the person who thought it would be worth paying 100m to bring him back to the PL. No heart and no brain he needs to visit the wizard of oz or whoever it was that was giving them out.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku goes and Darwin Nunez signs is my bet

Even though id rather Rom stays