Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He probably stress ate because of how bad the United team was around him. He was not very good on your team, but he has been for Conte and I think Tuchel will get much the same from him. We will see how it goes.
He's about 50 goals behind Ronnies record and already 28, so catching him seems unlikely.

The One and Only

He probably stress ate because of how bad the United team was around him. He was not very good on your team, but he has been for Conte and I think Tuchel will get much the same from him. We will see how it goes.
Yes it was everyone else's fault at United that he couldn't control simple passes and fell over trying ridiculous stepovers

Nobody has ever denied that he is a good goal scorer, but even Everton fans had similar observations about Lukaku. And he scored tons of goals for them.

Some of the new Chelsea fans on here are annoying as hell

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Yes it was everyone else's fault at United that he couldn't control simple passes and fell over trying ridiculous stepovers

Nobody has ever denied that he is a good goal scorer, but even Everton fans had similar observations about Lukaku. And he scored tons of goals for them.

Some of the new Chelsea fans on here are annoying as hell
I will be fine with the goals.

Ramos

67 goals in 100 matches is a pretty amazing stat, considering he only scored 3 in his first 22. Scored 50 in his last 50 games.

Won't catch Ronaldo though, seems impossible.

The One and Only

I will be fine with the goals.
He's a good fit for Chelsea to he honest. He's their only prolific goal scorer and will score plenty against the smaller teams. Let's see if he can make a difference against the top sides though. His record so far is very poor. Only 16 goals in what 70-80 games against the traditional top 6.

BeltUp

Supports
United
Jose I imagine. There are plenty of videos and quotes of him saying as a young man that playing at Chelsea was his dream. It didn’t pan out as a young man. I think he is in a place now that he wants to make what he dreamed of as a young man happen. I think Tuchel makes that an easier decision for him.
He must have grown up idolising the likes of Jody Morris, Dennis Wise and Celestine Babayaro and hoped one day he could play for the 3rd biggest club in London.

frostbite

He's a good fit for Chelsea to he honest. He's their only prolific goal scorer and will score plenty against the smaller teams. Let's see if he can make a difference against the top sides though. His record so far is very poor. Only 16 goals in what 70-80 games against the traditional top 6.
Top teams have good defences, that's why they are at the top. Are there any strikers today that have scored many goals against top teams?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Have a look at the teams he's scoring against.
I mean that's the nature of international competition - and it's not like he's just feasting on friendlies or anything. His distribution is 22 in friendlies, 18 in WC qualifiers, 5 in WC finals, 7 in Euro qualifiers, 6 in Euro finals, 9 in the Nations' league.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's about 50 goals behind Ronnies record and already 28, so catching him seems unlikely.
To be fair, Ronaldo scored his 67th international goal in his 136th cap when he was 31 so Lukaku is on a better pace - but you'd have to be very bold indeed to suggest he'll age as well as Ronaldo has.

I don't think Lukaku will break it but he's probably got as good a chance of anyone currently playing.

cyberman

To be fair, Ronaldo scored his 67th international goal in his 136th cap when he was 31 so Lukaku is on a better pace - but you'd have to be very bold indeed to suggest he'll age as well as Ronaldo has.

I don't think Lukaku will break it but he's probably got as good a chance of anyone currently playing.
Lukaku had mentioned returning after euro 2020 so if that’s on his mind then he isn’t playing for Belgium much in his 30s.
Lets be honest, Ronaldo will set that record out of reach for anybody to catch him. Lukaku may have a chance if Ronaldo stopped now but Cristiano is literally matching him goal for goal at 36. I wouldn’t be shocked at another 20 to 30 goals tacked on to the current total

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Lukaku had mentioned returning after euro 2020 so if that’s on his mind then he isn’t playing for Belgium much in his 30s.
Lets be honest, Ronaldo will set that record out of reach for anybody to catch him. Lukaku may have a chance if Ronaldo stopped now but Cristiano is literally matching him goal for goal at 36. I wouldn’t be shocked at another 20 to 30 goals tacked on to the current total
Yep agreed with everything you've said. Also worth pointing out that Ronaldo is the undisputed PK taker for Portugal - and now that Hazard is back fit Lukaku's goal tally might tail off a bit there too.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Some massive overrating of Lukaku here. It’s the hope that kills you.

lsd

The Oracle
Top teams have good defences, that's why they are at the top. Are there any strikers today that have scored many goals against top teams?

Jamie Vardy perhaps bar that probably not that many. Its a strange thing to throw at a forward i agree that they tend to score less against better teams when they get less goal scoring opportunities as well.

You can make a similar argument for so many strikers

cyberman

Yep agreed with everything you've said. Also worth pointing out that Ronaldo is the undisputed PK taker for Portugal - and now that Hazard is back fit Lukaku's goal tally might tail off a bit there too.
It really is superhuman. Who even gets to 111 caps never mind goals? Then it’s a goal per game for their entire international career if they do.

Eugenius

I mean that's the nature of international competition - and it's not like he's just feasting on friendlies or anything. His distribution is 22 in friendlies, 18 in WC qualifiers, 5 in WC finals, 7 in Euro qualifiers, 6 in Euro finals, 9 in the Nations' league.
Qualifiers are basically 50 percent against hopeless teams though. You still play the San Marinos of the world.

For me Lukaku still fails the eye test for his great stats at international level. You'd think he'd be carrying team with that sort of record, but he's just not.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He must have grown up idolising the likes of Jody Morris, Dennis Wise and Celestine Babayaro and hoped one day he could play for the 3rd biggest club in London.
Drogba. He was 11 when Drogba signed for Chelsea, but anyway, nothing wrong with growing up idolising those players. Babayaro was one my childhood favourites. Wise too.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Already lead the line to win inter their first title in 11 years. Now leading Chelsea for challenging title in five years. Nothing you could ask better from Chelsea front man. Go on lukaku.

Will break ronaldo record for international goals too.:drool:

lsd

The Oracle
Henry had a very good record vs us and Liverpool. Aguero scored loads against us. Don't think it's that rare tbh. Lukaku could be doing better in this regard. Maybe he will in this stint.

I've seen articles labelling Aguero a flat track bully same for players like Salah Harry Kane and Leondowski.

For United Ruud and Ronaldo were always accused of it same for Bruno as well in fact.

It's why I think it's nonsense to ever accuse a player of not scoring at the same rate against the better teams.

It's just a lazy excuse to hate on a player you don't like.

It's just natural in bigger games you won't get the same chances better defenders will try and mark you out of the game.

As we see in the premiership teams often cancel each other out in these games managers just happy to take a point

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've seen articles labelling Aguero a flat track bully same for players like Salah Harry Kane and Leondowski.

For United Ruud and Ronaldo were always accused of it same for Bruno as well in fact.

It's why I think it's nonsense to ever accuse a player of not scoring at the same rate against the better teams.

It's just a lazy excuse to hate on a player you don't like.

It's just natural in bigger games you won't get the same chances better defenders will try and mark you out of the game.

As we see in the premiership teams often cancel each other out in these games managers just happy to take a point
Yes but at the same time it's not as if it's a statistic one should disregard completely. Lukaku has a poor record against the top teams no matter what context one uses. That people label others senselessly doesn't change that. Aguero, Henry and many others did have good records as I've stated, and even if we account for being in a lesser team, Lukaku more often than not was a disappointment in general in those games. I do expect him to start improving that record this season (or he already did last year) given he now appears to be in his absolute prime.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It really is superhuman. Who even gets to 111 caps never mind goals? Then it’s a goal per game for their entire international career if they do.
Yeah for sure - doubt we ever see the likes of Ronaldo from a longevity standpoint ever again barring some sort of massive medical breakthrough.

Qualifiers are basically 50 percent against hopeless teams though. You still play the San Marinos of the world.

For me Lukaku still fails the eye test for his great stats at international level. You'd think he'd be carrying team with that sort of record, but he's just not.
That's fair enough - I'd respectfully disagree; Lukaku has been the one consistent player for Belgium amongst their superstars for the past couple years given Hazard & KdB's injuries and/or loss of form and I don't think it's ridiculous to say he's carried them. 50 goals from 50 caps is impressive no matter who you're scoring against, in my opinion.

redrobed

Wow, Chelsea fans are really all trying to argue Lukaku is better than peak Ronaldo. I don’t even know what to say.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I don't understand what everyone is debating in this thread.

Everyone knows Lukaku will score a lot of goals against fodder and the lower level teams.

The problem is, he doesn't score against the better teams, and when he doesn't score he doesn't offer much else. He struggles to trap a ball properly, his ball control and first touch are poor, which is why he gets found out against the better teams. This is no coincidence when you look at his record for the last 10 years.

ShinjiNinja26

Should Chelsea win the league this season I think there should be a cull on here just like when Liverpool won it before. Far too many Chelsea fans on here at the moment. :keano:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Should Chelsea win the league this season I think there should be a cull on here just like when Liverpool won it before. Far too many Chelsea fans on here at the moment. :keano:
I'd suggest the completely arbitrary date of 14/04/15 to be the cut off point.