Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

el3mel

I really don't get how polarized some posters here can be about a (former) player.

He isn't the best striker in the world, but you can acknowledge he made a shitload of goals. I watched him play 2 games for Belgium, and he is much leaner, quicker and frankly better than when he played here. Who's to blame? Probably himself, maybe our staff, I don't know.
Some here are just way too bitter and can't move on from an ex player. They don't just want to believe he's shit. They want the entire universe to believe so as well.

spiriticon

He was shit for us, no question about it, because he was fat and actually we were the ones who let him down by not spotting his diet issue.

Inter spotted it, changed his diet and now he's on the verge of being world class.

There's nothing to be bitter about. It's just unfortunate for us.

miked99

He wasn't good with us at all. Opposition fans were laughing at us, it was embarrassing at times quite honestly. He's a good finisher when he's on it, but his all-round game is lacking so much and if he doesn't score he offers you nothing. He couldn't even control the ball half the time and he wasn't even in shape for most of his two years with us.

People act as if they've forgotten his time here, and now he's scored what seems an impressive amount of goals in a league they don't really watch he must be brilliant after all and we ruined him somehow. Then you watch him play and he's exactly the same player he was before. Maybe a bit more in shape - nice of him to bother with that - but as usual he'll score a decent amount of goals whilst vanishing in the big games because he doesn't have the skill or ability to outwit the best defences. We'll see loads of comedy miscontrols and falling over the ball when he tries to dribble at defenders, but he'll end the season with a good amount of goals all the same. He's the definition of a stat-padder.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Romelu, are you fit to play Villa this weekend?

Need to know for my fantasy team mate, cheers.
Yes , I am fit…

Make sure you pay attention for a little clue when I score against the villains and when I look at the camera… to let you know… that I know, you know :rolleyes:

My 5 posts for the day are done, sending my superfan @Alex99 some love his way before I head out. I know you’ll miss me bud xox ;)

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Critics will be back when he probably doesnt perform well against the best teams, but having a consistent goalscorer against the rest is great for a league campaign, so they have a better chance with him than without him imo.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
How many goals do you reckon he will get before GifLord completely snaps and murders him?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Who are the teams he needs to do well against this season for the naysayers to give him a bit of credit?

Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester? Is that it?

Would Juve in the Champs league count?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Lukaku and Ronaldo transplanted into the PL from seria a and pick up where they left off. Given their cost and qualities I prefer Ronaldo but as I’ve said many times, I wish we didn’t have to sell Lukaku and we’d been able to develop him into what he’s become. He’s a top PL striker whether you appreciate his style of play or not. He’ll start doing it more often in the big games once he gets confident and hits his stride. He’s almost unstoppable in certain situations. He’s just entering his prime now.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What was his record like against Juve for Inter? Non penalty goals?

OverratedOpinion

Top striker scores goals.

I wonder how the posters on here who made ridiculous arguments when I said he was a top class striker will feel when he retires, considering he will continue to bang in goals with ease every single year until then.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Google it you lazy fecker! Juve have been shite for a while though, so do they really count as a "top side"?
That's why I'm curious, in the bubble of Serie A Juve would have been the biggest test for him even if they're far from what they once was

Ramos

Love how he tells Werner to run into the space for the second goal, making Tuanzebe arrive just a fraction too late when he tries to block the shot.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Lukaku and Ronaldo transplanted into the PL from seria a and pick up where they left off. Given their cost and qualities I prefer Ronaldo but as I’ve said many times, I wish we didn’t have to sell Lukaku and we’d been able to develop him into what he’s become. He’s a top PL striker whether you appreciate his style of play or not. He’ll start doing it more often in the big games once he gets confident and hits his stride. He’s almost unstoppable in certain situations. He’s just entering his prime now.
I’ll never enjoy watching Lukaku play, whether it’s for us or for our rivals which I think just about sums him up.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
The haters, eat your hearts out.

Nicolarra90

Who are the teams he needs to do well against this season for the naysayers to give him a bit of credit?

Man United, Man City, Liverpool, Leicester? Is that it?

Would Juve in the Champs league count?
Doesn't matter the team.

Needs to do it 5- 10 min after an equalizer or a 90+ min winner

hobbers

I’ll never enjoy watching Lukaku play, whether it’s for us or for our rivals which I think just about sums him up.
Yeah just comparing Lukaku to Ronaldo today. Ronaldo had 62 touches and made 17 passes in the final third. Lukaku had something like 25 touches.

Playing attractive free flowing football with Lukaku in your side is very difficult even when it's against fodder and he's on form.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah just comparing Lukaku to Ronaldo today. Ronaldo had 62 touches and made 17 passes in the final third. Lukaku had something like 25 touches.

Playing attractive free flowing football with Lukaku in your side is very difficult even when it's against fodder and he's on form.
Not trying to be a tribal idiot here, but Villa are pretty much a consensus top half side at worst? Whilst most expect Newcastle to be involved in the relegation battle I'd say. Personally I'd argue that there's a far larger gulf in class between Newcastle and Villa than between Man United and Chelsea.

Nicolarra90

Gonna be tough, given we never concede and are usually out of sight by the 90th min. ;)
Sure, most of the time yes. But there will be key moments in the season where you'll need someone to step up, maybe will be Lukaku, maybe someone else or nobody, but those are the moments that define world class players.

The moments you say, thankfully we have X player.

meninred

Lukaku proved today he is world class. both goals were a typically good striker finishes