Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Eddy_JukeZ

After all the fans down playing both his and Ronaldo's scoring record in a supposedly weak league, watch them go on to both end up being the top 2 goal scorers in the premier league haha
Probably.

I don't think Kane will have a great season. If Ronaldo takes pens and stays fit, he'll be the top scorer imo.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
He's always been scoring againt cannon fodder. If you think scoring 2 against the mighty Villa who finished behind Arsenal last season is some kind of an achievement you're deluding yourself.
He'll let you down when you least expect it.
Youre still crying into your cereal? He is a world class striker, why are you deciding to die on this Lukaku hill?

R.Lukaku9 - Top 5 currently best strikers in the world.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
He’s world class. Always been a great goalscorer but people rightly criticised his first touch etc. He’s massively improved that and to be fair to him he’s probably improved every other part of his game too.

Both of his goals yesterday were very impressive and you don’t get “easy” games in the premier league...

vanrooney

he is a top striker no question about it, but he is also quite limited as a footballer - that is also clear to see for everyone. he will score a lot this year but ronnie will outscore him

AshRK

He is a good goal scorer. It is a known fact. He was scoring goals at United as well , just that he was over scrutinized here. Maybe he will have less pressure at chelsea so should be fine.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I am not a fan of him and sceptical about his signing. Only thing I am ok with his signing he can score all types of goals despite limitations in certain aspects.

But he is able to generate huge power with limited lift. I didn't know that strength of him is recent addition in his armoury or he did have this aspect in his game previous pl spell as well.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Youre still crying into your cereal? He is a world class striker, why are you deciding to die on this Lukaku hill?

All you Chelsea newbies are hillarious

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Why would anyone cry about Lukaku? :lol: we got a good fee out of him and he was never right for a big club.

Shimo

After his first goal he tried to slide on his knees, but had his upper body too forward and rolled forward.
Thought maybe it was because he ended up on his back with a Chelsea players arse in his face.

el3mel

He will be proved right. Not bitterness to state facts.
We already know his opinion. We already know he believes he's shit. He doesn't have to try and convince the entire universe he's shit. It's hilarious when people think that their opinion should be shared by the entire world, and fight for that.

Fluctuation0161

We already know his opinion. We already know he believes he's shit. He doesn't have to try and convince the entire universe he's shit. It's hilarious when people think that their opinion should be shared by the entire world, and fight for that.
Fair enough
I hadn't read the whole thread.

Fitness wise Lukaku has definitely improved and this will have a positive effect on his game. But the other key weaknesses will still be there.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
I am not a fan of him and sceptical about his signing. Only thing I am ok with his signing he can score all types of goals despite limitations in certain aspects.

But he is able to generate huge power with limited lift. I didn't know that strength of him is recent addition in his armoury or he did have this aspect in his game previous pl spell as well.
What’s not to like? And who would you have wanted Chelsea to get instead?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Took his first goal well. Not sure why this needs a huge discussion every time. He'll trip over the ball again or airshot it and cost his team the win in due course. We know this is what happens. Sometimes he scores, sometimes he switches in his twin brother who can't control a football.

Chief123

I was never his biggest fan and was glad to see the back of him. He didn’t fit in with how we wanted to play and even now probably wouldn’t fit in with our style of play.

However, there are a number of noticeable things about him. His touch was always a problem at Utd as was his ability to link up in the build up of attacks. But in hindsight I would say his physique probably didn’t help this. He certainly looks much trimmer and fitter. That seems to have given him more agility. Having that slimmer physique and agility certainly seems to have helped in little things like receiving the ball on the turn, being softer with his lay offs (rather than it bouncing off like it hit a brick wall). He seems to be that little bit sharper which will do him good.

He’ll score plenty of goals for Chelsea as he suits their style and system perfectly. I’ve got no issues with him being a success wherever he goes. He just wasn’t the type of player I wanted at Utd.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
Ronaldo, Kane, Lewandowski, Haaland, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe all send their regards.
Neymar is not a striker, Mbappe and Haaland need to get out of their leagues and mature more before comparing them to Lukaku. As it stands this very moment, Lukaku is ahead of both Haaland and Mbappe. Nothing to do with the future potential because an injury can ruin a career, talking about this very moment, and Lukaku is ahead of both.

Chief123

Messi, Neymar, and Mbappe aren't strikers mate. They're all better players but none of those 3 are 9s.
Mbappe literally won a World Cup as a striker mate. Messi has won multiple trophies playing in the number 9 position (false). Neymar has played large amounts of his games as the striker with Mbappe playing from the left in the last 18 months.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Pretty painful, knee got caught in the turf I think? Grass needs be really slick.

Worse done on those old sand astro turfs, mistake you only make once though, that's for sure!
when i was a keeper i went home with many a burn off those astro pitches

Chief123

Neymar is not a striker, Mbappe and Haaland need to get out of their leagues and mature more before comparing them to Lukaku. As it stands this very moment, Lukaku is ahead of both Haaland and Mbappe. Nothing to do with the future potential because an injury can ruin a career, talking about this very moment, and Lukaku is ahead of both.
Lukaku is ahead of Haaland and mbappe? My goodness!

If you gave the top 10 clubs the option of having Haaland or Lukaku right now, you would struggle to find one that chooses lukaku. Don’t be silly mate.

So you’ve now gone from making Lukaku a top 5 striker in the world to now being the top 2? He improves by the second!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Mbappe literally won a World Cup as a striker mate. Messi has won multiple trophies playing in the number 9 position (false). Neymar has played large amounts of his games as the striker with Mbappe playing from the left in the last 18 months.
Hm? He was the inside left forward and Giroud was the striker - yes he stayed high but he was never leading the line.

Suppose it could be semantics but for me that's not a striker, that's an inside forward.

Chief123

Hm? He was the inside left forward and Giroud was the striker - yes he stayed high but he was never leading the line.

Suppose it could be semantics but for me that's not a striker, that's an inside forward.
To say Mbappe is not a striker is just being pedantic to try and shoehorn Lukaku into being a better “striker” than Mbappe. Yes Mbappe can play as a wing forward on either flank but is equally adept at playing striker. He’s been the sole striker for France as well as for PSG. He played striker against us in both games.

Yes Lukaku has had a good start and I’ve no doubt he’ll do just fine at Chelsea. But to start making out he’s a better striker than Mbappe and Haaland (like the other posted said) is just being hyperbole.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
To say Mbappe is not a striker is just being pedantic to try and shoehorn Lukaku into being a better “striker” than Mbappe. Yes Mbappe can play as a wing forward on either flank but is equally adept at playing striker. He’s been the sole striker for France as well as for PSG. He played striker against us in both games.

Yes Lukaku has had a good start and I’ve no doubt he’ll do just fine at Chelsea. But to start making out he’s a better striker than Mbappe and Haaland (like the other posted said) is just being hyperbole.
Mbappe has never played as a sole striker for France mate - he's always been alongside Giroud or Benzema.

Yes he's played there for PSG on occasion and generally been found lacking - would hardly point to PSG's performances vs you as evidence Mbappe can be a top tier 9!

I don't think Lukaku is a better player than Mbappe but I do think he's a better 9 - yes Mbappe can play there but for me it's a bit shortsighted to compare the effectiveness of the two players when it comes to leading the line as the focal point of an attack.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
One thing that is annoying me in this chat is that Lukaku is anywhere near Drogba.

Drogba was a world class striker thar would have days against world class defences where he was unplayable and stood up in big moments. The same has arguably never been said about Lukaku.

Just because they’re both black players with African heritage and play for Chelsea, does not mean they are remotely the same. It is frankly insulting to Drogba to be deemed in similar stature. The bloke was sublime and while I hated him at the time, I would have loved to have seen him play for United. Up there with Eto’o as one of the all time great big game players.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
One thing that is annoying me in this chat is that Lukaku is anywhere near Drogba.

Drogba was a world class striker thar would have days against world class defences where he was unplayable and stood up in big moments. The same has arguably never been said about Lukaku.

Just because they’re both black players with African heritage and play for Chelsea, does not mean they are remotely the same. It is frankly insulting to Drogba to be deemed in similar stature. The bloke was sublime and while I hated him at the time, I would have loved to have seen him play for United. Up there with Eto’o as one of the all time great big game players.
I think the comparisons are made because they are both Chelsea 9s and very good friends.

Abraxas

I think his main problem at United wasn't technical or physical even if they were the final outcomes on the pitch, it's that he seemed a bit precious. He even hinted towards this, he more or less folded once he wasn't instantly accepted as being a proper United 9, or maybe because he was questioned. Rather than simply doing the business to turn that tide he seemed to respond to it poorly and lost confidence.

For whatever reason he just didn't mesh with the club. Seems somebody that needs to feel like he's the top man. He did alright for us but he was always going to be far better elsewhere, I think this was generally known and accepted so it's not a surprise. With the right setup and mindset he's a top striker, even for us and an average Everton side he scored goals, he's always going to do that, but for Chelsea he's using his other strengths far more in addition.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Drogba's output wasn't that great honestly.

Wing Attack Plan R

Under no rationale is this true. Alphabetically Lukaku is ahead of Mbappe, true, but other than that I am really struggling to make sense of your post.

I don't think Lukaku is any better or any worse than he was in a United shirt. He can do a couple things well but a lot basic things he can't do at all. I'm glad we sold him and I was surprised when Chelsea wanted him back.

I'm not sure he's even top 5 strikers in the Prem, let alone the world. Maybe it's a Marmite type of question, whether someone rates Lukaku. He's a decent striker, he will score double digits, 15, 16 something like that. He never deserved to wear the United shirt. If Chelsea fans are happy, good for them.

BridgeBanter

Supports
Chelsea
Under no rationale is this true. Alphabetically Lukaku is ahead of Mbappe, true, but other than that I am really struggling to make sense of your post.

I don't think Lukaku is any better or any worse than he was in a United shirt. He can do a couple things well but a lot basic things he can't do at all. I'm glad we sold him and I was surprised when Chelsea wanted him back.

I'm not sure he's even top 5 strikers in the Prem, let alone the world. Maybe it's a Marmite type of question, whether someone rates Lukaku. He's a decent striker, he will score double digits, 15, 16 something like that. He never deserved to wear the United shirt. If Chelsea fans are happy, good for them.
Not sure if he’s top 5 ‘strikers’ in the League? That is absolute garbage.

Not including players like Salah (who isn’t a striker) who are 5 strikers better?