Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I can understand Lukaku's frustrations and blow-out. He clearly didn't want to leave Inter, he still had a contract there and actually wanted to extend it but instead was forced out because Inter loved the Chelsea money and didn't care about the player's feelings despite the existing contract. He was forced to go back to a club that had got rid of him a few years earlier because they thought he was shit but they have since sobered up and now realise their stupidity. Players are human, they remember these experiences. It's like Partey being told Atletico had received money from Arsenal and he must therefore pack his bags and go to London, with absolutely no consultation with the player who is the main element in the equation, the only difference being Partey happened to be an Arsenal fan growing up. I hate the brutality and heartlessness of today's money-driven football market and I'm definitely Camp Lukaku on this one.
You can't really be classing Partey the same as that, because rightly or wrongly the club had been talking to Parteys people all summer, & possibly before that they were planning to bid & would pay the release clause if they couldn't negotiate, so wages & everything would have been worked out beforehand & they got the green light much earlier that Partey would be up for coming.

Also, Atletico didn't want him to leave, & didn't think Arsenal had the means to pay the release clause, so they were pretty pissed by the manner of Arsenal actually eventually paying the release clause without telling the club beforehand just before the transfer window shut.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The manager said ""It was important to understand that it's not that big as maybe people want it to be or you want it to be". So he definitely thinks it was over hyped.
He would say that though. He needs to calm everything down and get the best out of his player while he has him.

He has handled it really well, like you say.

From a fan perspective, it’s no doubt been overhyped, but that’s football. It’s tribal and it’s disrespectful when players don’t appreciate that. It also affects the team so can see why some Chelsea fans would be annoyed.

Agree.. I watched him tonight and looked a different player from what I've seen in Serie A and in the first month for Chelsea.
That's because the game in Italy is slower and less intense, so a player with pace and strength like him can excel. He's not changed one bit since he left us.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
That's because the game in Italy is slower and less intense, so a player with pace and strength like him can excel. He's not changed one bit since he left us.
Nah, that's a stereotype, a false myth. How many Serie A matches have you watched this season? Did you watch Lazio Empoli today? Was it slow?
You did watch Chelsea - Tottenham yesterday I guess. Well it was far from an intense game, quite boring to be fair and despite that he still was awful. Not as much as Harry Kane but still very bad.

Anyway that's not my point, I've the feeling he was fitter when he was at Inter. Yesterday looked fatter and slower than what I remember but maybe it's just a question of opponents as the English Premier League is by far the best and most competitive league in the world

Nah, that's a stereotype, a false myth. How many Serie A matches have you watched this season? Did you watch Lazio Empoli today? Was it slow?
You did watch Chelsea - Tottenham yesterday I guess. Well it was far from an intense game, quite boring to be fair and despite that he still was awful. Not as much as Harry Kane but still very bad.

Anyway that's not my point, I've the feeling he was fitter when he was at Inter. Yesterday looked fatter and slower than what I remember but maybe it's just a question of opponents as the English Premier League is by far the best and most competitive league in the world
I live in Milan...

I'm into double figures of live games this season between Serie A and Serie B. Italian football is often end to end but the time and space given is much more than the PL.

Lukaku needs to be able to physically bully his opponents or he's hopeless. In the PL they're quick enough to match him or good enough to read him.

MalcolmTucker

I live in Milan...

I'm into double figures of live games this season between Serie A and Serie B. Italian football is often end to end but the time and space given is much more than the PL.

Lukaku needs to be able to physically bully his opponents or he's hopeless. In the PL they're quick enough to match him or good enough to read him.
I think you're both right.

Lukaku did slim down at Inter and had a more consistent technique, however he benefitted from playing in a league where he was up against less athletic players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
There are actual football clubs mocking him now.

Tap

There are actual football clubs mocking him now.
Lukaku actually looked quite good in the Zenit one. It took a good last ditch tackle to get the ball off him.

The Roma one was amusing.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
We are a better team without Lukaku, despite the cleanup operation after the inexcusable interview he did, I think a formula has to be found for him to leave.
His attitude is terrible and will contaminate the group.

What solutions might exist?
Inter has no money or desire to receive him.
Another club in Italy?
He says never, but the true value for him is residual, how about an exchange of Chiesa for Lukaku?
Even if it took some money.

PSG or Newcastle?
Paris seems the most realistic route.
I hope it can be possible.

Remember the geese

I never understood why Chelsea signed him. Even more so for that price. I think all they needed in that position was a good squad option who could provide a different type of threat. A fox in the box who could turn draws into wins. That could have been Lukaku, but he and the footballing world seem to have a distorted perception of how good he really is. Although ideally you would want a player who doesn't get stage fright in the big games.

cyberman

The hype about the move and everything about how he was the best number 9 with his back to goal was all nonsense but it’s gone too far the other way now. He may not be elite but he’ll score against anybody outside of those sides

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
There is an insanely unhealthy obsession on here about Lukaku.

He’s never worth the money spent and criticism of him is often justified but Lukaku has more pages on here than most of the United players. He has about 30 pages more than Rashford for example who is far less productive than Lukaku.

I’d attempt to flog him in January. He is not what we need up front and his comments in the media raise enough concern about his attitude.

Remember the geese

The hype about the move and everything about how he was the best number 9 with his back to goal was all nonsense but it’s gone too far the other way now. He may not be elite but he’ll score against anybody outside of those sides
He's a good striker, but any club with ambitions to win the biggest prizes should avoid him like the plague. Perhaps as a squad option, but even then...

Red the Bear

Something less generic

He’s never worth the money spent and criticism of him is often justified but Lukaku has more pages on here than most of the United players. He has about 30 pages more than Rashford for example who is far less productive than Lukaku.

I’d attempt to flog him in January. He is not what we need up front and his comments in the media raise enough concern about his attitude.
Well he fecked us over so I guess its fun seeing the same happen to someone else, its a lot of fun when it ain't your team.

goptun

Rashford broke his back last season and is still feeling his way back into the side. Lukaku was a record breaking signing for us that left on bad terms and has hilariously brought his circus act back to one of our biggest rivals. It's good patter.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's always funny rivals fan on ManUtd forum moaning about obsession :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It wasn't even Chelsea fans who hyped it, few of the the ManUtd Jose fan boys somehow were convinced Lukaku will difference between them winning and not winning the league.

Anyways he is a good striker who will score decent number of goals but Chelsea look better attacking unit without him. Even against Liverpool it was clear with all the movement from attacking players.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I never understood why Chelsea signed him. Even more so for that price. I think all they needed in that position was a good squad option who could provide a different type of threat. A fox in the box who could turn draws into wins. That could have been Lukaku, but he and the footballing world seem to have a distorted perception of how good he really is. Although ideally you would want a player who doesn't get stage fright in the big games.
I still believe Roman was able to put out the money no one else was to sign Haaland a year early, and when Haaland said no to us specifically …. The ego kicked in, and he wanted to prove he could make a “big” pull at striker.
If he felt like spending 100+ In a player we already had it should have been Declan.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I still believe Roman was able to put out the money no one else was to sign Haaland a year early, and when Haaland said no to us specifically …. The ego kicked in, and he wanted to prove he could make a “big” pull at striker.
If he felt like spending 100+ In a player we already had it should have been Declan.
Wait what?

Remember the geese

I don't think Haaland was ever going to be allowed to leave in the same window as Sancho. Just out of interest, who would be most under threat if you were to sign Rice? Kante? Jorginho? Or would he be used at centre back?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We already have three midfielders better than Rice. Would be an awful waste of resources.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
We already have three midfielders better than Rice. Would be an awful waste of resources.
Kovacic and Kante are kind of injury prone. Kante especially can barely stay fit for more than a couple of weeks at a time these days.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think Haaland was ever going to be allowed to leave in the same window as Sancho. Just out of interest, who would be most under threat if you were to sign Rice? Kante? Jorginho? Or would he be used at centre back?
Oh Jorginho, every single day

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Predatory strikers are like playing with ten men if they lack low first touch and interplay.

Bobski

Predatory strikers are like playing with ten men if they lack low first touch and interplay.
Yes, yet another example of why individual goal scoring numbers are maybe the most overrated thing in football. Lukaku will end up with legendary numbers but really he is a hindrance in big matches.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I thought they'd actually figured out that you just don't play him when you're facing teams that aren't shit?

What happened to that?