Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

Tuchel didn't hype it up because he's not a massive melt.

There were people talking about him never playing for the club again, about him getting his contact cancelled, about selling him to Spurs!

There was plenty of overreacting to this, just not from me or Tommy. It's not nothing but it's not that big of a deal.
In your next 8 games you've got Spurs x3, City away and Leicester. Wait until he fluffs his lines in those and fans will be on his back again.

Flexdegea

Tuchel didn't hype it up because he's not a massive melt.

There were people talking about him never playing for the club again, about him getting his contact cancelled, about selling him to Spurs!

There was plenty of overreacting to this, just not from me or Tommy. It's not nothing but it's not that big of a deal.
I didnt see any of that to be fair :lol:

But as far as drama goes it wasnt over hyped. The manager said so himself. He even called a meeting with the players to address how they felt about it. He even got dropped from the squad.

It will most certainly be an issue the rest of the season, unless he morphs into peak Drogs for next while then everyone will forget it.

Pintu

Once a club have told you they don't want you anymore because they have found a buyer with an acceptable offer, what choice do you have as a player? Refuse to leave the San Siro despite being unwanted? Why does this work for the club and not for the player? If last winter Lukaku had demanded to leave Inter in the middle of their league campaign, would they have allowed him?
Fans are irrational, they expect the players to be devoted. It is quite obvious that Inter chose to sell him once the Chelsea money was on the table, they were prepared for the event with three alternatives Dzeko, Zapata, and Correa and they end up buying 2 of them. His agent and Inter orchestrated a PR campaign to make them look ambitious despite selling the top striker.

Jesus christ did you even see Lukaku's interviews? He wanted to go to Chelsea. He apparently even rejected an offer from Man City in 2020
He rejected that offer in 2020 and stayed with Inter, which just proves @Che Guevara's point that Lukaku wasn't really eager to go back to England despite his wages being lower in Italy. City's offer was even higher than what he ended up taking at Chelsea.

If you read his interviews he talked about his mom being in love with the city of Milano and how the house he bought there was perfect for his son. He talked about great friendships with Lautaro, Bastoni, Eriksen, Barella and Skriniar. Players are humans, these things matter to them.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
100 Million is a crazy amount of money to lose. Chelsea and Lukaku will devise a plan to keep the fans onside which is understandable. Doesn't detract from the fact what he's said is vomit-inducing for the fans and the club.

Well done Ole for getting rid and those who slagged Ole off should now lower their heads.
So obvious!

Players just have too much power.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So obvious!

Players just have too much power.
Do they? I think they have the right amount of power and clubs have, for far too long, held all the power when they're nothing without the players. It's strange how most football fans are part of the working class, have a boss and company that could replace them at a moment's notice and don't give three fecks about them, and see them side with all these clubs and not the actual workers who are the footballers all because of a fandom for a club that was built off the back of the players, and not the faces we barely see in charge of said club. Sure, you'll have some players who abuse that power, but there's nothing wrong with the power footballers have now, it's justified.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His Facebook still says Inter Milan, but I doubt he even knows the login details for that.

He deactivated his Twitter a while ago.
Give him a chance, his finnish his a bit rusty.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If you read his interviews he talked about his mom being in love with the city of Milano and how the house he bought there was perfect for his son. He talked about great friendships with Lautaro, Bastoni, Eriksen, Barella and Skriniar. Players are humans, these things matter to them.
Then why didn't he just stay?

Top earner at the club, best paid player in Italy except Ronaldo, three full seasons left on his contract. So what exactly was the problem?

Pintu

Then why didn't he just stay?

Top earner at the club, best paid player in Italy except Ronaldo, three full seasons left on his contract. So what exactly was the problem?
He asked for a raise and an extension that he thought he deserved and Inter rejected it, they wanted to cash on him.

Saying he was the "best paid player in Italy except Ronaldo" is not accurate. He was one of a dozen players that made around 7M after taxes (This list includes 4 Inter players -making Lukaku not THE but ONE OF the top earners- and at least 7 Juve players. De Ligt the highest at 8 M). But Cristiano was on 5 times that. So making it sound like Lukaku was just behind Ronaldo is false. Juventus paid Ronaldo the equivalent of the entire wage bill of Aston Villa.

It seems he was disappointed when Inter refused to give him that raise and felt he wasn't valued at his worth. He was probably encouraged by Inter to take the door and help them balance the books.

Reactions: mazhar13

Tarrou

The manager said ""It was important to understand that it's not that big as maybe people want it to be or you want it to be". So he definitely thinks it was over hyped.
no matter what he thinks he'll come out with the media trained narrative to down play it, which is a common sense approach in a world where nobody burns £100m assets due to a tantrum

so it's not something you can draw any real conclusions from

Tarrou

I wonder if that interview will be enough to win over the fans

my guess: nope

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I wonder if any bookies will take bets on him kissing the badge the next time he scores? I'm positive that this guy will be doing it first chance he gets. :lol:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It seems he was disappointed when Inter refused to give him that raise and felt he wasn't valued at his worth.
That sounds about right.

It's a bit of a stretch to interpret this as some kind of sob story, though. If he really didn't want to leave Inter, he could've stayed. There's nothing to indicate that he was forced out. Inter apparently rejected a couple of bids from Chelsea before he, himself, told them he wanted to leave.

The spin on it by some posters in this thread is that "he's a human being" - he enjoyed life in Italy, there were family reasons for why this was so, etc. Which is a very plausible take - but the fact that he left after being denied a rise on top of an already more than decent salary doesn't make it obvious why anyone should sympathize with his predicament.

mu4c_20le

This was the only logical outcome tbh, they aren't going to let a 100m asset rot, and they aren't getting rid of the manager (yet)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That was a fun couple of days. I've enjoyed the drama and the memes. It almost felt like the Super League, where one story was dominating the football news cycle for days. Don't know what to do now :lol:

InfiniteBoredom

They could just sell him back to Inter in the summer? Seems a pretty likely outcome to me
Inter already bought Dzeko and Correa to replace him, who are doing well, with the state of their finances and a slew of contract renewals coming up in the next 18 months for their squad, they don’t have 70m+ to bring him back, that’s assuming Chelsea is willing to eat that loss.

KingCavani

Inter already bought Dzeko and Correa to replace him, who are doing well, with the state of their finances and a slew of contract renewals coming up in the next 18 months for their squad, they don’t have 70m+ to bring him back, that’s assuming Chelsea is willing to eat that loss.
I'd say Dzeko may even be an upgrade. One of the most underrated players of his generation. A class act.

Andre Kagawa

He didn't really explain any of the feckups from the last interview though? Just talking around them

crossy1686

career ending
Over £70m? You think Chelsea paid £100m upfront for Lukaku? Whatever down payment they paid last year I’m sure would be findable for Inter to return and write off the following payments over what should have been the next few years.

The reality is he probably only cost Chelsea about £25m-£30m for this season so far.

InfiniteBoredom

Over £70m? You think Chelsea paid £100m upfront for Lukaku? Whatever down payment they paid last year I’m sure would be findable for Inter to return and write off the following payments over what should have been the next few years.

The reality is he probably only cost Chelsea about £25m-£30m for this season so far.
They still have to commit that money out of their (future) budget and pay Lukaku’s wage, which he wasn’t happy with before the transfer. They were still owning us the majority of his fee when they sold him on.

Their owner are looking to sell, zero chance they are bringing him back one year older on a transfer of that scale, none. Chelsea is stuck with him.

Pintu

Inter can't afford it. Covid hit hard and contrary to Chelsea they don't have a sugardaddy. The money Chelsea is paying them for Lukaku has already been committed to other investments, they renewed Barella and Lautaro with big raises, they bought Correa and Dzeko (big wage there too).

It's a bit of a stretch to interpret this as some kind of sob story, though. If he really didn't want to leave Inter, he could've stayed. There's nothing to indicate that he was forced out. Inter apparently rejected a couple of bids from Chelsea before he, himself, told them he wanted to leave.
Rejecting offers could mean they wanted more money. And wating for him to hand a transfer request meant they didn't want to pay him other loyalty bonuses. But when they refused to negociate an extension and a raise they made it obvious that keeping him was not a priority. And maybe he submitted the transfer request to make Inter chose between selling him and negociating the increased salary that he'd asked for.

The scenarios and possibilites are endless. One thing is sure, all his interviews during his time in Milano portrayed a happy man, and a player who's finally found the perfect club and city for his career. Serie A being a less defensive league than it used to be is surely also a big plus for him, his stats and confidence.

stoinz

I had hope that this will cause a bigger incident which end up Tuchel being sacked and we can benefit from hiring Tuchel.:)
Chelsea and Tuchel really handled this well.